Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Man hole covers that protrude up through the paths
    One on my commute has a double wide manhole cover that crosses the entire path, on a sharp bend, uphill. Nearly took me out of it before, reported to council. There is a cyclist down on it every few months. Never gets fixed or even a caution sign put up.
    Some of them inexplicably end and lead you directly out in conflict with other road users
    Or they take you away from traffic and then just stop with nowhere to go
    People have a tendency to leave their bins in them
    And walk in them, or to get off the road if they break down, or make a phone call, or send an email etc. Shure, where else can a person eat their roll and drink a cuppa tea/coffee
    Pedestrians
    Well they are basically footpaths :eek:
    Cars parked in them
    My favourites are the cars who block cyclepaths and footpaths so if your a wheel chair user or your mobility is impaired, your f*cked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this annoys me every time i pass - space is usually quite tight heading westbound at rush hour, and it wouldn't surprise me if someday a cyclist trying to pay heed to the traffic clips this tarmac ramp, which would be inclined to kick their front wheel out into traffic.

instead of having the kerb dished, which in an ideal world would be a condition of the planning permission, they've subcontracted the issue out onto the main road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3814218,-6.2407583,3a,38.7y,260.81h,83.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snES_k_I8cpu1HOca-Ho2EA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I've nearly been hit a few times here by drivers mounting the footpath and going into the cycle lane (in the cycle lane on the left).

The traffic lanes split into two and motorists turning right often hold up the people going straight on or left, therefore the obvious thing for motorists to do is undertake and drive over the curb and into the cycle lane. The cycle lane converges with the road shortly after this point here, so it's handy for the drivers to get their car back onto the road.

It's a bloody ridiculous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

instead of having the kerb dished, which in an ideal world would be a condition of the planning permission, they've subcontracted the issue out onto the main road.

It looks like it continues on to the right hand side, where it isn't even needed. So most likely it was part of the access for the original site, and nothing was ever changed since construction started.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Very close pass here this morning.

I was driving having just turned off the roundabout. Car in front of my overtook a cyclist on the bend with oncoming traffic.

Query for regular cyclists. This cyclist was cycling his bike while pulling another bike along beside him. He was going quite slow as it was uphill and as a result was a bit erratic. Definitely not excusing the dangerous overtake but just wondering what the opinion on it would be from a cyclists point of view.

**I'm in no way condoning the dangerous overtake **

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Query for regular cyclists. This cyclist was cycling his bike while pulling another bike along beside him. He was going quite slow as it was uphill and as a result was a bit erratic. Definitely not excusing the dangerous overtake but just wondering what the opinion on it would be from a cyclists point of view.

**I'm in no way condoning the dangerous overtake **

It's pretty much two abreast, which is perfectly fine as long as you do not endanger, inconvenience or obstruct other traffic or pedestrians. It's how I get my bike to the bike shop (and then I can cycle home again).

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

buffalo wrote: »
    It's pretty much two abreast, which is perfectly fine as long as you do not endanger, inconvenience or obstruct other traffic or pedestrians. It's how I get my bike to the bike shop (and then I can cycle home again).

Fair enough. I assumed as much. My concern was more that he looked like he wasn't in complete control going up the incline while steering two bikes. Not a regular cyclist myself so was interest to see what others thought.

I'm sure the lad that overtook would have done so regardless of what was on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

It's how I get my bike to the bike shop (and then I can cycle home again).

It's how I retrieved my dad's bike when a gouger stole it from the back of the house years ago!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I wish I could do that. I'm hopeless at it though, had to give the OH a call to come take a bike from me when I was collecting one from the LBS and cycling another. She wasn't impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

This cyclist was cycling his bike while pulling another bike along beside him. He was going quite slow as it was uphill and as a result was a bit erratic.

Ive done it on occasion, but I would want to be pretty confident on the route (i.e. no big hills or crazy junctions).

Pretty sure its illegal, but its Ireland - not like the rules generally matter..

If like the OP above, I wouldn't be trying it near a busy road on a bend, you are just looking to p!ss off other people with that behaviour - and at the end of the day thats what decent road use should be about - not inconveniencing or being a d!ck to others (Why can't we all just get along, merry Christmas etc!!).

EDIT: (Just remembered.. I also done it after a chrismas party - moving my bike to be locked up and using a Dublin bike - dunno why - I was drunk and it was only 200 meters on a backstreet. It did not end in success and came off, heavy dublin bike on top of me, brand new jeans ruined. Fully deserved for being a twat..). Thing was I was moving the bikes to get a cab home as I already realised I was too drunk to cycle..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Nearly got caught out by a white van man this morning. He was driving down the bus lane at bachelors quay, so figured he would turn left. He came up the outside of me and a bike in front, presumably to overtake us and left hook. Changed his mind at the last minute and darted in left behind us. Must look back in the rear camera but he was very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

kenmm wrote: »
    Pretty sure its illegal

What makes you pretty sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭joinme

I was cycling home from work on Bunratty road Coolock the other day. I was well lit up all the usual safety gear. This road is never overly busy but does have the 27 bus and cars tend to drive too fast despite ramps. Anyway I am cycling toward Northside shopping centre and there is a car coming towards me on the opposite side. Next of all out of nowhere a scrambler bike with two passengers comes flying out from behind the car to overtake but right into my path. The driver (if i can call a 15 yr old a driver) only clocks me at the last second and somehow we miss each other by about an inch. It happened so fast and I got a massive fright, the bike raged on down the road all I could muster was to roar 'f*ckin w*nker' after it.

There is problem with scrambler bikes around this part of Dublin and I've seen a few incidents over the years but this is the closest call I have had with one. Dangerous vehicles to have on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

No expert, but cycling with one hand on the bars, trying to balance another bicycle and swerving across the carriageway - There must be some law that would have you done - similar to driving without due care and attention.

Doesn't really matter - if you can't control it and are holding up others, then you are being a bot of a prick regardless.

I was specifically talking about the case here, but even if you are able to cycle with the other bike, you are not really in full control of your own bike. Doesn't matter how good you are at it - you cant brake as effectively etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It actually is legal.

Road Traffic Act, 1961
    100.—(1) A person on a bicycle or a tricycle in a public place shall not hold on to any other vehicle (other than a pedal bicycle which no person is driving) which is in motion or hold on to any person or thing on, in or attached to any such vehicle.

Whether you should do it or not is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I am also pretty sure he is right. Unlikely to be enforced.

Thr rationale being you are not fully in control of either bike. Some people will argue they are and that's fine, but others, will admit they can't do it. So it all gets subjective. I have done it loads of times, and while able to, would say you don't have as much control of either bike as you would a single bike.

For that reason, its probably deemed 'unsafe'. Dare I suggest a FCN of driving a cycle without due consideration could be issued? It would be harsh but in some situations, might be appropriate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It actually is legal.

Road Traffic Act, 1961
    100.—(1) A person on a bicycle or a tricycle in a public place shall not hold on to any other vehicle (other than a pedal bicycle which no person is driving) which is in motion or hold on to any person or thing on, in or attached to any such vehicle.

Whether you should do it or not is another story.
    is it legal to cycle no-hands, pulling *two* bikes alongside, one in each hand?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I have no idea. I think we need a test case. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Jaysus joe motorist really hasn’t a clue. Sheets of rain and Flooding all over Dublin - on the commute home and I was trying to memorise dodgy manholes on the south quays, so staying centre in a lot of the lanes. Didn’t stop cars squeezing by though.

In saying that, was heartened to see a flashing 1.5m sign at Castleknock this morning. A notorious stretch for close passing, no matter how far you take the lane. Be interesting to see if this adjusts driver behaviour along here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Almost a variant on a thing too usual to comment on, but anyhow. Some van driver in a small navy blue van (letters vss or similar) exiting Lismore Rd and turning on Fern Rd was angry I interrupted his phone viewing while turning. I shouted as he was likely to drive into me. After that, angry beeping and menacing from him. Drivers of small vans are a histrionic lot. I thought it was too dark for the camera, so I hadn't it running.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Some van driver in a small navy blue van (letters vss or similar)
    ISS?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Not only is it legal, you get a medal from the President for pulling it off...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Zzippy wrote: »
    Not only is it legal, you get a medal from the President for pulling it off...

How do you pull it off if you're using both your hands on the two bikes?

I'd put that up there with the question as to how to wipe your backside with 2 broken collar bones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Finding it impossible to get a reply to a complaint with Bus Éireann. I was nearly flattened by a bus that ran a junction in May. I filed a complaint within 2 hours providing all the details of bus, route, google maps image of spot, time and date and requested footage as part of the complaint. Unfortunately I didn’t have my Cycliq as it was on another bike at the time. I got a reply asking for my contact number initially but dead air ever since.

Anyway the incident. I was in a junction moving to exit from it and could hear a bus moving at a fairly handy speed towards the only blind entry to it. It was 100m into pace building from a stop and was emitting that distinctive bus roar. I decided to make a stop in the junction and let the driver continue to accelerate through the Yield sign. I could see the shock in the drivers face as he saw me pulling to a stop as he crossed my path. I would have been flattened.

Anyway no joy from Bus Éireann to date. I’ve pulled the GDPR line on further requests as I feel entitled to the footage of the driver running the junction and will keep filing complaint tickets for now (anyone got any tips??).

Finally. The most memorable part of the story after was when I told a ‘comedian’ creative colleague at work and he managed to mock up the entire incident in hilarious format. It’s the complete reverse of what happened me on the morning.

Anyway. For giggles

https://gfycat.com/jovialgrandacouchi

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

have you actually seen this?

no, but i await with bated breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'd put that up there with the question as to how to wipe your backside with 2 broken collar bones :D

or my favourite:
    Can you pick up teeth with broken fingers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Eamonnator wrote: »
    or my favourite:
    Can you pick up teeth with broken fingers?

Jesus that's grim :eek:

• Advertisement

eeeee wrote: »
    Jesus that's grim :eek:

He was playing bad cop when he'd use that line, good cop would have picked up the teeth for the poor unfortunate with the broken fingers :P

Advertisement