Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Some more dumb questions:
    • Are electric mirrors (as in folding the mirror flat for parking) an option on these?
    • When opening the doors the lights don't go on, is this a setting?

Had both of the above on my 2010 520D and can't figure it out on the 530E

Folding electric mirrors come as part of the Comfort pack
    Not sure about the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

The folding mirrors can also be selected as an option without the pack
    They are handy for tight spaces

What kind of real world km are 530e owners getting and has anyone noticed a decrease with battery age

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

bmwfan wrote: »
    What kind of real world km are 530e owners getting and has anyone noticed a decrease with battery age

Averaging ~8.5l per 100km. Only charge it in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Averaging ~8.5l per 100km

You must be enjoying it with lots of spirited driving in sports mode :pac:.
    I don't think I even averaged that on a 4,000 km trip through continental europe with much flat out autobahn fun :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I've been tracking the economy on mine since I got it in Sept 2018. As of my last fill I've done 23,377.1km and used 829.04 litres giving a lifetime average of 3.55 litres per 100km.

Most of my driving during the week is on full electric. Good few long trips 400km+. The worst I've had from a tank of petrol is 7.5 l/100km, the best is 1.99 l/100km

ShaneOC wrote: »
    The worst I've had from a tank of petrol is 7.5 l/100km, the best is 1.99 l/100km

Just goes to show how it's impossible to rate PHEVs for efficiency, l/100km etc.
    Anywhere from 2l/100km to 10l/100km is possible, depending on usage pattern, driving style, regular commutes etc.

Still, I reckon most would be in the middle with an average of 5l/100km, which is good, especially if they're using their battery only range in urban areas (likely).

90% of 520d drivers would fare better in the 530e I reckon - just the long distance motorway cruisers would benefit from the diesel.

What distance are you getting on max battery

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

30km max.

What distance are you getting on max battery

Probably 30km winter to 45km summer would be a fair approximation on the pre '20 reg 530e (9.2kWh - new ones have 12kWh).
    Never much need for max battery mode - auto does a good enough job of battery/energy management.

Obviously, 130km/h on the motorway with heating at 30c will yield less :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Hi

For what its worth...

I have been looking at the 530e from a private purchase and engine output perspective.

Basically the 530e engine is the same as the G30 520i but with the electric motor added to up the HP.

The 520i engine itself is just a detuned 530i engine, same size displacement, same size turbo.

You can easily remap a 520i up to a 530i.

With the 530e, if your battery is not charged you are basically driving a 520i around with an extra 200kg and smaller boot.

From a business perspective the 530e makes sense but as for private ownership I'm not seeing it. Also, 530e's seem to be depreciating a lot quicker than 520i's/530i's and for long term ownership it will be replaced by newer hybrid technology, leaving it unattractive to buyers 3-5 years from now.

My personal conclusion is get a 520i and remap it if you are a private buyer.

...or buy a 520d.

WacoKid wrote: »
    With the 530e, if your battery is not charged you are basically driving a 520i around with an extra 200kg and smaller boot.

Nope.
    Wrong.
    Incorrect.

:p

The full 252bhp is always available, unless you deliberately drive it in such a way as to keep the battery at its lowest state of charge. Even then, unless you're on a motorway, any deceleration or braking will invariably add charge to the battery, as will engaging battery save or sports mode.

You're seriously recommending a 520 diesel over a PHEV in an electric vehicle forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If you dont charge it you have defeated the purpose of having it and as pointed out they dont drive the same way so I think you should test drive one, if you havent already.

From a business perspective the 530e makes sense but as for private ownership I'm not seeing it.

Why not for private ownership?
    Financially, it has cheaper tolls, cheaper tax, cheaper fuel costs and the electric drive experience/smoothness.

Whether you buy a 520i or a 530e is really just down to what type of driving you do. If you are doing hundreds of km's a day on motorways then the 530e is not the right choice.

... and for long term ownership it will be replaced by newer hybrid technology, leaving it unattractive to buyers 3-5 years from now.

Everything gets replaced with newer tech over time. Nothing new there. Not sure why you think the 530e is special or more prone in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Hi

For what its worth...

I have been looking at the 530e from a private purchase and engine output perspective.

Basically the 530e engine is the same as the G30 520i but with the electric motor added to up the HP.

The 520i engine itself is just a detuned 530i engine, same size displacement, same size turbo.

You can easily remap a 520i up to a 530i.

From a business perspective the 530e makes sense but as for private ownership I'm not seeing it. Also, 530e's seem to be depreciating a lot quicker than 520i's/530i's and for long term ownership it will be replaced by newer hybrid technology, leaving it unattractive to buyers 3-5 years from now.

My personal conclusion is get a 520i and remap it if you are a private buyer.

...or buy a 520d.

Please share your facts and figures.

I would love to know.

Kramer wrote: »
    Nope.
    Wrong.
    Incorrect.

:p

The full 252bhp is always available, unless you deliberately drive it in such a way as to keep the battery at its lowest state of charge. Even then, unless you're on a motorway, any deceleration or braking will invariably add charge to the battery, as will engaging battery save or sports mode.

You're seriously recommending a 520 diesel over a PHEV in an electric vehicle forum?

So if the battery is not charged you still have 252bhp always available. Thanks for clarifying.

I was comparing engine output not cost of ownership.

KCross wrote: »
    If you dont charge it you have defeated the purpose of having it and as pointed out they dont drive the same way so I think you should test drive one, if you havent already.

Why not for private ownership?
    Financially, it has cheaper tolls, cheaper tax, cheaper fuel costs and the electric drive experience/smoothness.

Whether you buy a 520i or a 530e is really just down to what type of driving you do. If you are doing hundreds of km's a day on motorways then the 530e is not the right choice.

Everything gets replaced with newer tech over time. Nothing new there. Not sure why you think the 530e is special or more prone in that regard?

It seems petrol G30's are holding their value better so this may negate any savings when looking to move it on.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Please share your facts and figures.

I would love to know.

Can you be a bit more specific please

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dagryl

You can get 430HP from 330e G20. I've seen a viedo on youtube, but it's in Polish.
    I would love to know if someone in Ireland can do proper chip tuning on F30 330e.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,057 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think everyone can agree that buying a plug-in hybrid that you're not going to plug in is stupid.

Lumen wrote: »
    I think everyone can agree that buying a plug-in hybrid that you're going to plug in is stupid.

Huh? Typo or are you serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I last put petrol in my 530e on December 7th. I do a lot of short driving 30km round trips, then home for a charge then out again.

KCross wrote: »
    Huh? Typo or are you serious?
    Yeah, sorry! Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,214 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lumen wrote: »
    I think everyone can agree that buying a plug-in hybrid that you're not going to plug in is stupid.

For some owners, a PHEV is just a compliance car bought for tax reasons. They rarely / never plug it in. This is very common in the UK.

unkel wrote: »
    For some owners, a PHEV is just a compliance car bought for tax reasons. They rarely / never plug it in. This is very common in the UK.

It was mainly just an issue with the Outlander PHEV. They're plugging that loophole in April and they've already removed PHEV grants in the UK so its no longer a compliance car in that sense.

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. It nonetheless falls under my definition of "stupid". Opinions will differ. :D

I've done a few tests and with a full charge and heating off I get 26/27 km

That seems a bit on the low side

I've done a few tests and with a full charge and heating off I get 26/27 km

That seems a bit on the low side

Most of the first gen PHEV's can only do about that distance. You might do a bit better in summer when the battery is warmer but not much better.

The newer ones with bigger batteries (12kWh+) and the ones coming down the track can do a solid 50km+

I'd say it will be a matter of time before 80-100km will be possible. That seems to be the direction that OEM's are going.

Hot off the presses......................
    530e recall....................:eek:.

xbDJwOv.jpg

Well, maybe not :D.

Anyone get their free sticker yet?

Mines going in tomorrow for foggy headlamps ill let you know if it comes back with a new sticker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 EVenthusiast

Folks, any advice please on a charger unit? Does anyone have the BMW iWallbox? Is it ok to install this unit outside or are there any other recommendations?

I have a few prices from guys to supply & install various units but would be equally as happy to buy one of these and just pay the install charge. I assume the combination of purchase and install is allowable for grant? The iWallbox on its own is above the grant amount in any case. I dont foresee too much work in an install at our house as the meter box is already on the outside wall exactly where I want the EV charger (with the fuse box directly on the other side of the wall inside the house). I'll probably need a switch for the electric shower though from what I've read.

Thanks in advance as always

Advertisement