Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keith Flint of The Prodigy RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've seen them plenty of times, from supporting Oasis on Cork 1996, to their 3 Arena gig a few years ago (Omen Tour) I really enjoyed their music. Their far of the land album reminds of when I was on a coach trip on Canada as it was only released and was everywhere.

It's a soundtrack of my youth in the 90s but equally a fond go to "band" in the last 12 months. Their ability for their music to go hand in hand as the soundtrack to kickass really brought that movie alive. I'd have gladly gone and seen them live next time they were here, so it's an extra bit of sadness, not only from his death, but also knowing I won't get a chance to see a fantastic live show from them again.

Whatever demons people have in their heads, talk to people. Too many people are afraid to talk, and unfortunately your mind can only handle so much. Such an unnecessary loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Awful news. Glad I got to see him live at Oxygen some years back. They melted the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Saw them a couple of times at the Big Day Out in New Zealand. The first time (1997) they were about 5th on billing. The headliners were Offspring and Soundgarden. The Prodigy came on early evening and stole the show. They were awesome!! All anyone could talk about afterwards, was their set.

A few years later they were the headline act and were even better. The mosh pit was insane. I've seen Metallica, AC/DC, Foo Fighters, Rammstien, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Rage, RHCP and The Prodigy could rock as hard as any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He was plagued with depression and unfortunately saw suicide as his only way out. A permanent solution to a temporary problem :(

Of all the banal clichés, that's the dopiest one by far

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Weirdly when I think of the Prodigy, I think of Radiohead. Not because their music was similar but because they were two hugely popular mid-late ‘90s bands who stayed outside the prevailing zeitgeist of the day and did their own thing.

Good point, neither sold out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Seen them in Oxygen couple years ago....
    Hands down the best gig I was ever at ....
    RIP ... What a man!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I used to DJ in a metal bar in Cork and the Prodigy were the one dance/electronic band you could play on a Saturday night and everyone liked (especially Their Law and Breathe) . Music for the Jilted Generation is a heavier album than half the metal albums I own!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Sad news. Flint was a very unassuming down to earth guy, contrary to his public image. A great artist and stage presence, I dont know if a Prodigy concert would be even possible without Keith. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I remember listening to a gig they did that 2FM (I think) broadcast I think live back a long time ago. Pretty sure it was during Music For The Jilted Generation time. Bopping away in my parents garage on a ****ty stereo with awful reception.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

D02QSy5U8AETX7p?format=jpg&name=small

I took this in 2002 at Witness. He came to the barrier and I put my disposable camera up and took this. What a moment.

For context, my Ma took this to a photography place and had it blown up, and framed for a gift for me for Xmas that year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Schwiiing wrote: »
    The Aaron Ramsay curse strikes again.

RIP.

The what now???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The death of Keith Flint is certainly tragic. Like a number of posters, I would not have been a raver as such, but The Prodigy, as a musical act, and Keith Flint, as a performer, were exciting. Their music is a kind of "electronic punk" and, of course, Keith became famous for his punk style.He was great on Firestarter and Breathe. I also liked Voodoo People and Out of Space as musical pieces. Who can forget that video for Firestarter, and Keith in particular?

RIP Keith Flint - truly a unique performer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

474649.png

Blunt was an active recon team captain in the Kosovo war.
    I always thought his motr sound was beautiful in contrast to that. Any respect that I had for the idiots in that story is eroded and my sadness that Keith Flint ended his journey with us continues.

Oasis is just pop music and the Jam were short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The what now???

Any time Aaron Ramsey scores, a notable celebrity dies the following day. It has happened 17 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

Gintonious wrote: »

I took this in 2002 at Witness. He came to the barrier and I put my disposable camera up and took this. What a moment.

For context, my Ma took this to a photography place and had it blown up, and framed for a gift for me for Xmas that year.

That is brilliant and a lovely thing for your mam to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Blunt was an active recon team captain in the Kosovo war.
    I always thought his motr sound was beautiful in contrast to that. Any respect that I had for the idiots in that story is eroded and my sadness that Keith Flint ended his journey with us continues.

Oasis is just pop music and the Jam were short lived.
    James Blunt's music is awful imo, Oasis mediocre but still better than Blunt. The Jam and Blur - brilliant.

But Gallagher, All Bran and Weller have always seemed like dicks, and take themselves painfully seriously (even Noel - the self effacing isn't really thus, and doesn't hide his arrogance) whereas James is a gent, and a great laugh.

Awesome tweet/anecdote.

Gintonious wrote: »

Fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

They played in Waterford in 93 and 95

26733622_10160015830980089_7084636465433693429_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=ab91832e61abaefba30f321c60a91ce3&oe=5CC349FB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

The Prodigy have been my favourite band since I was twelve years old and had Experince on cassette.
    I'm absolutely gutted that poor Keith decided to end his life.
    Its beyond sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

James Blunt's music is awful imo, Oasis mediocre but still better than Blunt. The Jam and Blur - brilliant.

But Gallagher, All Bran and Weller have always seemed like dicks, and take themselves painfully seriously (even Noel - the self effacing isn't really thus, and doesn't hide his arrogance) whereas James is a gent, and a great laugh.

Awesome tweet/anecdote.

His music is music but he as a person deserved to be treated with respect and as a recon captain for the British armed forces he’s basically a much tougher man than those spas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Have always loved the Prodigy. Remember hearing (and taping) Charly off the radio in 91 and loving it. Never got to see them live due to a combination of my friends not really liking them/me hating festivals but got back into them in the late 00s after I bought a couple of albums for my husband who absolutely loved them too.

RIP Keith, far too young to go.

His music is music but he as a person deserved to be treated with respect and as a recon captain for the British armed forces he’s basically a much tougher man than those spas.
    No arguments there.

I'd say they got lots of kudos at the time though, including from people who act all appalled now. Until James showed what a self deprecating and decent guy he is via social media, he was totally fair game (being a "squaddie" would have only added to the contempt).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Of all the banal clichés, that's the dopiest one by far

Speaking as someone who has experienced suicidal thoughts, that phrase has always really resonated with me and has helped me.

So yeah, go ahead and dismiss 'chichés' that actually help people with depression - your post is coming off as being the 'dopiest' one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Taken Saturday morning. He ran his PB in a 5k.

10592214-6768751-image-m-21_1551777691311.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

Slightly off topic but James blunt is hilarious on twitter :D

Keith looks very healthy at that race ....poor guy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The what now???

A load of insensitive nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I put these in the car this morning for my drive - cant believe jilted cd is 25 years old !

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've been listening to The Prodigy all day. Jilted is such an incredible album.
    Poisin, my days, what a f*cking song.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I remember as a teenager hearing tracks like poison and voodoo people and thinking “I’ve never heard such sounds before”. Amazing production skills from Howlett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I've been rocking to Voodoo People. :cool::cool:

Advertisement