Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keith Flint of The Prodigy RIP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I remember as a teenager hearing tracks like poison and voodoo people and thinking “I’ve never heard such sounds before”. Amazing production skills from Howlett

Yep, the first 3 albums were insane in terms of production

jimgoose wrote: »
    I've been rocking to Voodoo People. :cool::cool:

Another classic song, when I was younger I didn't have enough cash on me to buy and album so I bought the Voodoo CD single. It was like a mini album

THE_PRODIGY_VOODOO%2BPEOPLE-105068b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    ...Another classic song, when I was younger I didn't have enough cash on me to buy and album so I bought the Voodoo CD single. It was like a mini album...

RTE used to use that as the intro theme for their F1 coverage some years back, IIRC when Peter Collins was commentating. How cool! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

h3000 wrote: »
    I remember listening to a gig they did that 2FM (I think) broadcast I think live back a long time ago. Pretty sure it was during Music For The Jilted Generation time. Bopping away in my parents garage on a ****ty stereo with awful reception.

Pretty sure this is the gig I was talking about. The Prodigy - Live The Point Depot Dublin Ireland 31-12-1994
    https://soundcloud.com/magpie303/the-prodigy-live-the-point

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Reading some of the stuff in here would bring a tear to your eye.

The bloke clearly touched many, his energy and enthusiasm for what he did was incredible. I am going to miss him a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Gintonious wrote: »
    Reading some of the stuff in here would bring a tear to your eye.

The bloke clearly touched many, his energy and enthusiasm for what he did was incredible. I am going to miss him a lot.

Couldn't sleep last night thinking about it. Very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

h3000 wrote: »
    Pretty sure this is the gig I was talking about. The Prodigy - Live The Point Depot Dublin Ireland 31-12-1994
    https://soundcloud.com/magpie303/the-prodigy-live-the-point

Wow, I remember that gig so well. It was my favourite Prodigy gig (followed by the one in Olympia ten years later).

That was the one where they had the giant fly that descended down from the ceiling. (21.00 onwards, amazing stuff).

Keith came out at the start in a glass box and emerged in a straight jacket falling all over the stage.

What I loved about Prodigy gigs is you got to hear unreleased stuff you wouldnt hear on albums etc.

I almost got dragged up on stage at this one but was gutted not to, but Keith himself dragged me up the year after when they finished the night with "No Good". Have a load of old photos at home from Prodigy gigs, must dig them out.

Really great times. Liam was the brains but Keith was always the heart and soul of The Prodigy. was such a showman, cant imagine the gigs without him . . so sad :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was just playing Out Of Space on my phone on Friday. Saw The Prodigy at Felie '94. They put on a fantastic show. For my generation The Prodigy were an iconic band. Their music helped define the 90s.

Rest in Peace Keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is well worth your time to watch. Love hearing him talking about how it all started. Sounded like such a great time for him.

I am finding it very heard to listen to the Prodigy today... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Tomhammer

I only listened to a few prodigy songs

I would have been more aware of him because of his involvement with the bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

one of the guys who works with me as the prodigy experience on tape ! we had a bit of a listen in the Carina E at lunch time - so many posters here have their cds pictures posters etc - something tangible you can touch - all this predated spotify and streaming - much simpler times and everyone here can remember when they bought that prodigy tape, cd and where - many of these shops are now long gone. RIP again Keith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I hope the Prodigy don't split without him, I understand completely if Liam wants to call it a day or have an elongated break after this but I hope he continues on, for Keith's sake....

Too early to say and no one knows what's going on yet, I know a lad fairly close to the band and as you can imagine he's distraught...

Time for the Ian Paisley bootleg :

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

LP Singleshttps://imgur.com/gallery/v8zAM9x

v8zAM9x

I can't find my Experince tape from back in the day. I've kept these safe though.

EDIT. sorry I couldn't post a pic directly, I'm not great at this stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've been listening to The Prodigy all day. Jilted is such an incredible album.
    Poisin, my days, what a f*cking song.
    "Keef, someone on the phone for ya"

I have no idea how that opening line has always stuck in my head so much but it came out when I was 9, everyones older brother was mad into them, and we were really starting to get the itch as well. Always figured the lyrics to it were meant to be the phone convo.

What are the odds, tomorrow will be the 24th anniversary of the single - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_(The_Prodigy_song)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Actually "Liam, someone on the phone for ya".

"Aw fúcks sake...."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The Nal wrote: »
    Actually "Liam, someone on the phone for ya".

"Aw fúcks sake...."

"Trying to write this facking tune innit"

Boom cha boom boom, cha

Boom cha cha boom cha

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

Nice tweet from James Blunt about Keith Flint, fair play, sounded like a top bloke, far too much of this these days, R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Liam, someone on the phone for ya

Aw **** sake..trynna write this fvckin tune man

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

This is now one of my most prized possessions. The last thing Keith and The Prodigy as we knew them autographed.

47240838322_e4994f7d97_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

474649.png
    Blunt was an active recon team captain in the Kosovo war.
    I always thought his motr sound was beautiful in contrast to that. Any respect that I had for the idiots in that story is eroded and my sadness that Keith Flint ended his journey with us continues.

Oasis is just pop music and the Jam were short lived.

It’s an interesting, nice tweet but I have to say, I don’t really care what the personalities are like of people whose art I’m a fan of. I’ve always known Albarn was a twerp but I love so much of his music. I’m never going to meet these people and I’m not going to not like the sound of someone’s music just because their personality might be a bit objectionable.

Blunt is funny on Twitter but his music is really brutal and I bet many people here would have been dismissive of him if they met him when his music was in the charts. Let’s not pretend credibility isn’t important in the music business. Even mid-‘00s Oasis would have been seen as more credible, mostly down to their early work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Saw The Prodigy a few times over the years, going back to new years eve concerts in the 90s.
    Great gigs.
    Just watched this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RYxOsvWrJA

Watch the crowd, having the time of their lives, jumping around lost in the moment.
    I feel blessed to have been a teenager in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

It’s an interesting, nice tweet but I have to say, I don’t really care what the personalities are like of people whose art I’m a fan of. I’ve always known Albarn was a twerp but I love so much of his music. I’m never going to meet these people and I’m not going to not like the sound of someone’s music just because their personality might be a bit objectionable.

Blunt is funny on Twitter but his music is really brutal and I bet many people here would have been dismissive of him if they met him when his music was in the charts. Let’s not pretend credibility isn’t important in the music business. Even mid-‘00s Oasis would have been seen as more credible, mostly down to their early work.

Fair point but it shows Flint in a really positive light to the others as an individual as his music was a million miles away from blunts, hardcore in your face don’t give a **** but still could put his arm around the guy and didn’t allow his persona get in the way of being just a decent bloke wheras the others are kinda fake as they couldn’t allow their image being dented by sharing a pic/stage with blunt yet flint didn’t give a ****, really cool guy, authentic, such a shame, world needs more keith flints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Another 1990s idle gone to the far side. Very shocked at his passing. I grew up as a teenager with their music & loved it.

I always enjoyed his take on the rave years...

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Another 1990s idle gone to the far side. Very shocked at his passing. I grew up as a teenager with their music & loved it.

Greed killed it. Familiar story, nice to hear it from Keith's perspective though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

This one is massive.

https://g.co/kgs/pDb9wA

VeryTerry wrote: »
    This one is massive.

https://g.co/kgs/pDb9wA

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i presume he'll be cremated?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

fryup wrote: »
    i presume he'll be cremated?

Ah now.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Andrewf20 wrote: »

whats the backing track that plays around 2 mins in - I know it but I cant think of it thanks

Advertisement