Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Looking at worldometers they are around 40th in the world for tests per million?

Maybe that's why he didn't say anything about tests per million then.

2u2me wrote: »
    Woke types may project faux outrage but we all know it's not real.

Exactly, which I personally think is quite frightening, how millions of people can instantly all go into faux outrage mode, be it about non-existent racism or accusations that someone has told people to inject bleach. Not a beat is missed and all instantly outraged in unison.

As for Weijia, she's the same one who said a White House official had called the Coronavirus "Kung-Flu" to her face.

Remove her access to the WH at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Dunno man, not sure he's too up on the stats tbh.

threeball wrote: »
    It is abysmal. Even our testing is better and we don't even have labs. Donnie claims they are the best at everything, when they're only really better than the UK who gave up weeks ago

It's not abyssal, you're comparing apples with oranges, as many States are doing very well in the US (so far) with regards to cases and so it makes no sense to have high testing in them.

New York, on the other hand, has a very high number of cases and the testing there reflects that, with 61,000 tests per million compared with our 44,000 per million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

threeball wrote: »
    It is abysmal. Even our testing is better and we don't even have labs. Donnie claims they are the best at everything, when they're only really better than the UK who gave up weeks ago

What do you mean we don’t have labs?! Where do you think we’re are doing the testing? The kitchen sink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

The media moan about testing. The administration have an hour long presser on testing which shows that they are doing more testing that some of the counties the press heralded as having the holy grail in testing numbers. Leftist media proceed to ask snarky attempted gotcha questions, one even pathetically playing the race card, so he thanks them and leaves. Removing their access to pressers is what he needs to do at this stage, as they are just preventing the much needed information getting to the public by hijacking these pressers in this manner.

Are you still going to defend the biggest loser man-baby in the galaxy?

Why are you hitching your wagon to this ponce? Is it because you can't admit you were wrong in stuffing your tongue up the rectum of a loser who you were convinced was a winner?

Just admit that he's as useless as tits on a fish and you might salvage some dignity...or keep defending the schmuck and look like a bigger one yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I was trying to make the point that there is acceptable risk in normal everyday life.
    Where is that acceptable amount of risk when it comes to coronavirus. Is 1 death too many?

The initial projections of how deadly this virus is seem off nearly by an order of magnitudue.

Then would you care to tell the benefits of an automobile in comparison to the deaths that arise, directly or indirectly, from that technological development?

Whilst you crunch those numbers can you come up with the benefits of not allowing a disease to spread as opposed to taking measures to isolate, contain and eradicate it?

As an addendum to your hypothesis can you tell us all how the 100s of deaths from cycling might merit abolition of said activity given the millions of deaths that don't occur from such a pastime?

In conclusion...what is an "order of magnitude"?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It's not abyssal, you're comparing apples with oranges, as many States are doing very well in the US (so far) with regards to cases and so it makes no sense to have high testing in them.

New York, on the other hand, has a very high number of cases and the testing there reflects that, with 61,000 tests per million compared with our 44,000 per million.

So it seems that Trump simple message is actually quite nuanced and needs to be taken in context rather than the simple selective version he is trying to portray.

And you wonder why the journalists keep asking questions?

Do you actually think the press, protected by the constitution in the same way as gun ownership, should be shut down and refused access to POTUS. Don't you accept the constitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Woke types may project faux outrage but we all know it's not real. They're starting to consider Asian Americans as just as 'privileged' as white people because the gap in earnings, education etc.. isn't anywhere near that of 'other minorities'.

The ‘Whitening’ of Asian Americans

Harvard and other institutions put a cap on the amount of Asians allowed into their schools. This was because apparently Asians were over represented.

The judge who ruled on the case said:

Where was the outrage then? Non-existent.

Race-conscious admission policies were embraced by the wokes to the detriment of Asians. Disgusting.

Asian Americans and Jews are definitely not flavour of the month with progressive America.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Are you honestly trying to claim NYs testing rate has anything to do with Trump?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Christy42

The sign says most testing. If we are talking per capita it is a flat out lie. If it isn't then we need to discuss why the US has had 5 times as many cases as anywhere else and 3 times as many deaths. The sign does not say most appropriate amount of testing.

The issue with testing was speed and numbers. The best example of this is south Korea who had a massive amount of testing immediately, got the virus under control and then scaled down (I also note even they have had issues opening up and they are better than pretty much all US states).

Ireland was late, it has caught up admirally but is paying for being late. The US was later than even Ireland and is desperately playing catch up. You mention New York which has nearly a 1/3 positive rate and New Jersey is worse. That is what playing catch up does. The US missed the boat and cost lives and won't even admit it made a single mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭threeball

Xertz wrote: »
    What do you mean we don’t have labs?! Where do you think we’re are doing the testing? The kitchen sink?

We have two labs capable of doing the testing. Its why we are outsourcing our testing to Germany in order to up our numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"I came 1st in the Dublin Marathon!"
    "What are you talking about? You came 12,532nd!"
    "Er... I came first out of everyone who came 12,532nd or lower! Duh!"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Christy42 wrote: »
    The sign says most testing.
    The sign says the US leads the world in testing...a claim that can be interpreted in different ways.

One way is to look at overall test numbers, in which case the US has done more tests than any other numbers, so does 'lead' in that sense. In other interpretations, such as per capita testing, it's obviously not the US that is leading

I'd take much more issue with the "GERMANY AND THE UNITED STATES ARE THE TWO BEST IN DEATHS PER 100,000 PEOPLE" claim, which can only be reasonably interpreted one way and simply isn't true at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So it seems that Trump simple message is actually quite nuanced and needs to be taken in context rather than the simple selective version he is trying to portray.

To be fair you're describing just about every politician there is; world-wide.

osarusan wrote: »
    The sign says the US leads the world in testing...a claim that can be interpreted in different ways.

One way is to look at overall test numbers, in which case the US has done more tests than any other numbers, so does 'lead' in that sense. In other interpretations, such as per capita testing, it's obviously not the US that is leading

I'd take much more issue with the "GERMANY AND THE UNITED STATES ARE THE TWO BEST IN DEATHS PER 100,000 PEOPLE" claim, which can only be reasonably interpreted one way and simply isn't true at all.

Indeed it can. And on a total basis they do lead the world in testing. However if that is how we are measuring it then we should be consistent and only look at total deaths and cases instead of the per capita numbers. In which case it leads the world with over 5 times as many cases and well over double the deaths.

You don't get to pick and choose statistics. Total numbers wouldn't be my of measuring things but it is more important to be consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You don't get to pick and choose statistics. Total numbers wouldn't be my of measuring things but it is more important to be consistent.
    You absolutely do though, it's a fundamental part of politics.

I think there isn't a hope of Trump being consistent, when he doesn't care about even being truthful.

osarusan wrote: »

That is being ignored now, I have asked if that could be labelled as "fake news" or "peddling of fake narratives".
    When someone is at Level 11 constantly, with regards to their fury at the man, no matter how bloody trivial the perceived offence, well then I have to question how genuine it all is, and I do.

If someone is constantly calling out the MSM for peddling fake narratives against Trump but will not apply the same to Trump you would have to question how genuine it all is, and I guess we all do.

To be fair you're describing just about every politician there is; world-wide.

100% agree.

But the majority of the rest of the worlds politicians do not get shirty when the media raises a question.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    If someone is constantly calling out the MSM for peddling fake narratives against Trump but will not apply the same to Trump you would have to question how genuine it all is, and I guess we all do.

The MSM pretends to be the shining light that saves democracy.

Trump basically admits to being a narcissist.

To be elected president you just have to be popular. No credentials required.

To be a proper journalist you should have integrity.

• Advertisement

Basically so does Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So should a president!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,566 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looking forward to season 2 of the COVID daily Trump press conferences in the fall :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,855 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Half the "journalists" on Fox and such have no credentials either, certainly not integrity.

But yeah journalists should be held to a higher standard than the most powerful man in the world.

Cool.

Boggles wrote: »
    Half the "journalists" on Fox and such have no credentials either, certainly not integrity.

But yeah journalists should be held to a higher standard than the most powerful man in the world.

Cool.

Does Chuck Todd work for Fox? Oh wait, no; that's NBC.

Does Chuck Todd work for Fox? Oh wait, no; that's NBC.

Not really a defense of Trump or fox there which highly suggests you don't want to defend either.

Not really a defense of Trump or fox there which highly suggests you don't want to defend either.

There aren't many journalists with much integrity left in the US. Fox news or otherwise. Fox actually have one of the best journalists going in Chris Wallace.

There aren't many journalists with much integrity left in the US. Fox news or otherwise. Fox actually have one of the best journalists going in Chris Wallace.

Getting closer. Are you going to hold Trump to the same standard?

Getting closer. Are you going to hold Trump to the same standard?

To what standard? The stanard I hold a journalist? No he gets held to a different standard.

• Advertisement

Its funny, because Trump supporters are so quick to label anyone that gets anything wrong, or even lies, as someone that can never be trusted and should be fired.

But that rule doesn't seem to apply to them. We had Trump just yesterday openly lie to the American people about death rates per 100k, yet I don't see people calling for him to resign. I don't see his supporters admitting that, by their own standards, he can never be trusted again and cleary has an agenda and is trying to spread fake news.

AS usual, its the hypocrisy that gets me. Take a position, fine, at least we can have a discussion about our different POV, but when you have no actual position apart from I'm right and when I'm wrong then I'll find someone else that was wrong about something sometime, then it is pointless.

So before posting about the media having agenda, or fake news, or journalists lacking integrity, think to yourself. Is the man I am batting for being held to even close to the same standard, and if not then why do I have a problem with one person but not the other.

Advertisement