Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Nocturnus : "The Grotesque"

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Moonspell

SDooM wrote: »
    Excellent. Liking that.

I will need help with colouring and photoshopping my drawings. Someone who would like to work with pencillings/ inkings up.

heya Doom...

I can give it a try, used to do all kind of work with colours, pencil, ink, shalks.. and so on (art school).. it's been a while thou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I can haz moar nao plz? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I can haz moar nao plz? :)

Chapter One is on the way, may take another day though, have a photo shoot tonight for the character i will be playing, just to show you guys the type of thing i will be able to do....also doing up my character profile as a guideline for people who want to get involved.

Also, big public thanks to Paperclip for the input and idea's!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Dragan wrote: »
    Chapter One is on the way, may take another day though, have a photo shoot tonight for the character i will be playing, just to show you guys the type of thing i will be able to do....also doing up my character profile as a guideline for people who want to get involved.

Also, big public thanks to Paperclip for the input and idea's!!!!

Aww Shucks!! :o

Cheers dude.

Moonspell wrote: »
    heya Doom...

I can give it a try, used to do all kind of work with colours, pencil, ink, shalks.. and so on (art school).. it's been a while thou

Don't want you to think we missed this, that would be fantastic, i imagine DooM has PMed you already, if not we shall be in touch!!

Just an update, had a shoot last night for my character and nearly have him profile and Chapter 1 written up.

Hopefully will get these fully finished next night or two as i am having a relatively quite weekend if you discount going to dinner later, a shoot after that and the Festival of World Cultures for two days.

I need to do less.

Or more.

I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

Okay, so the character that i am writing for myself and will be playing is called Nero. He is going to be the foil to Lust. Storyline was he wants to stop Lust plans, whatever they may be. However, he doesn't care who or what gets in his way. He is an Outcast in the Dreamscape simply because he is considered a lose canon, no even the other people who fight Lust would side with him unless they really had to. As soon as Nero decides you are a hinderence to his cause he is less than kind to you.

However, he is also responsible for some of the biggest blows to Lust powerbase and their struggle is both long documented and personal.

Anyway, here is the pic i have done up for him. The joy of being in a dream is you can arm yourself with just about anything.

Nero_Concept_1_by_Altogether_Aido.jpg

It's pretty easy to make the surroundings different for each character, depending on who the photo is focusing on we can even portray the world differently depending on the characters outlook. Nero is very strict, he see's things in right and wrong, black and white. I'm going to try and do something to represent that. Here are some i have been working on till now.

Nero_Concept_2_by_Altogether_Aido.jpg

And another one.

Nero_Concept_3_by_Altogether_Aido.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

That last photo actually frightens me slightly!! Brilliant! :D Well done :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I have to say i love these ideas and the general overview of the story. Sort of starts out like a fantasy type scenario all mysterious and new, but quickly turns to suspense and a feeling of loneliness at least until the Innocent finally runs into someone, be they good or evil thats not for me to say.

The opening of the house onto a wasteland is inventive, opens up many doors for what can come next, and how the Innocent will react with the new environment she will have to get used to.

If i could add anything to the overall story, like a character/personality or scenario just ask, i'll see what i can do as i used to have a pretty imaginative mind, i'm sure i can develop something if i think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Reminds me of a nightmare I had lastnight :(

*shudder*

• Advertisement

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Reminds me of a nightmare I had lastnight :(

*shudder*
    Awww...there there *pats head*

Dragan wrote: »
    Don't want you to think we missed this, that would be fantastic, i imagine DooM has PMed you already, if not we shall be in touch!!

Just an update, had a shoot last night for my character and nearly have him profile and Chapter 1 written up.

Hopefully will get these fully finished next night or two as i am having a relatively quite weekend if you discount going to dinner later, a shoot after that and the Festival of World Cultures for two days.

I need to do less.

Or more.

I'm not sure.

better get my gear out again :D
    haven't heard anything so far, but guess in due time :)

btw... great story so far, so are the pics, like the second one particularly, has a darker "tone" to it...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hey guys I'm not ignoring anyone just in Spain with work so my private internet access time is limited (and I wouldn't have it any other way!)

I'll have to trawl through this and the other thread when I get home.

Looking forward to hitting dragan on the head. :)

Great pics Dragan. :) I reckon there's way more menace in the first one. On my computer the eyes are really glaring.

Here's the prototype (drawing in my case) of Lust...

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=596

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

noice!

Nero is next for the cartoon treatment!

excellent Doom :)

Thats quite nice artwork there DooM :)

if anyone wants to try colouring/ adding/ photoshopping that I will take it as a compliment. My meagre skills end with pen and pencil, and the grotesque is about collaboration!

• Advertisement

SDooM wrote: »
    if anyone wants to try colouring/ adding/ photoshopping that I will take it as a compliment. My meagre skills end with pen and pencil, and the grotesque is about collaboration!

you were away, but I have put my name forward for it :D

Moonspell wrote: »
    you were away, but I have put my name forward for it :D

Well feel free to give it a try. :)

Update :

I've had a lot on my plate for the last week or two but with some major projects and other issues now closed off i can dedicate some proper time to this.

Chapter One i am almost happy with and will be throwing up for public consumption by Wednesday.

DooM, will have relevant pics with you by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

That first shot is so intense!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Great to see this sharing up to be so awesome looking. Loving those pix guys. So yes,been planning my character (Nerin,character from stuff i've been writing) and where he will fit. Theres a gap in my story between present and future
    lol,spoiler,on something not published,and not finished,written by me no less,lmao. Anyway,in the gap, Nerin is dead,self sacrifice if you will.
    so i think that might work into a small appearance or two. Pm me dragan,if you want some details. Looking good people,can't wait.

Okay, so where is the Project in timeline and how is it coming along I hear you ask? First up I just want to thank people for their patience. Tying the visual media to the story got a little more complicated than I thought it would. I basically had to go and learn how to make our world look like a dream world and because of the way the visuals tie into the story and the mood of the book it had to be good.

Sure, I could have turned around to my mates who are all wizards at this type of thing and asked them to do it but I firmly believe that every aspect of this story should be done by someone who is a member of the community. As such, I have been photographing, I have been photoshopping, I have been learning about Digital Art and I have been writing.

At the moment, the story is growing very nicely. I nearly have the first three chapters done, and quite a decent bit of a synopsis done up on the rest of the story.

The visuals are coming along and I have been practicing turning the real into the unreal and the normal into the eldritch. I have been studying about studio lighting and shooting for our character shoots and I have been researching all kinds of bull**** I won't bother boring you with.

Here are some visual samples, feedback would be appreciated. Remember I am going for the "dreamy" affect here. If you see it, perfect, if not I need to rethink things.

Sample 1 :

Eventually this will end up being the foundation for some of the close up work of the character. The world they live in represents how THEY see it, how the change and affect it. For some of the characters the world is a place of turmoil and tempest, for others, a calm and solid place that they are secure in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altogether-aido/2922936570/

Sample 2 :

Characters tend to inhabit and "own" if you would, an area of the shared subconciousness. It is a place they can retreat to like a home. Remember, there is no sleep there, sometimes you need your alone time. Depending on who's home it is, it may be peacful or horrific, calm or stormy. This is a sample of the initital field of plants and flowers that The Innocent willed into being.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altogether-aido/2901425669/

Sample 3 :

As I said, some places in the Dreamscape are scary. Strange and odd powers exists from long before man learned to talk, or walk upright. Strangely enough the story behind this picture will be pivotal to the book. You can take a hint from the title, but I won't be giving away the story.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altogether-aido/2902260186/

Now then, there a couple of things i need to be able to proceed. SDooM, you an i must meet in the flesh, we need to have an Editors meeting and hash out all the finer details.

I also need yourself and fonpokno for a shoot to get the "cover" of our book. The visual for this will be badass and really set the tone for what is to come.

Finally, i need people to stay on my ass about this. My mind is a whore, i tend to do about 7 or 8 different projects at once and i don't want this dropping down the priority list. Don't be afraid to post here asking for updates, or to see what we have been working on.

Keep pushing me simply because sometimes i need to be pushed.

Cheers folks.

Great to see this back on track Dragan. :) Naturescapes look like they're playing a big part and you do those really well. I'm looking forwad to seeing how the interplay between those images and the more surreal ones gel into a cohesive whole.

Advertisement