Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Nocturnus : "The Grotesque"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

orestes wrote: »
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you read Terry Pratchett? :pac:

I have an idea for a character I would like to develop, so just thought I'd throw it out here to see if it is ok with Dragan and Doom.

I'd like to create a character based on the transition between attraction and obsession. For example, the character develops an attraction to "the innocent" an over time it develops into an overwhelming obsession with him/her, to the point where recognition from the subject becomes the main focus and the sheer desperation drives the subject to madness.

To put it in terms that I think Dragan and Doom would appreciate, and to quote Alice Cooper, "I want to hear you just to hear you screaming my name".

I think the best thing about this character is that they could be maintained as a leitmotif, and could be kept in the background until needed as a main character. After their main introduction they could just be shown as a person in the background every now and again, peeking around corners and watching the innocent in various ways, and getting more and more desperate and bold until they eventually snap.

Just a thought, please feel free to discard mercilessly if it deserves it!

I could see this character being a pawn used by Lust, thinking he is getting what he wants by being around the innocent, but it eventually comes to a head between the two spirits.

I do read Pratchett but actually the idea is just as much inspired by Neil Gaimans Endless as by the antropomorphic personification in Discworld!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Okay... I'll give this a go.

Nihilus.

A phantom.

The greatest mind in all Atlantis. He realised the utter futility of existence and sought to bring an end to everything. He managed to extinguish his own race. But somehow humanity managed to claw its way back.

Nihilus has now found a way to consolidate himself into a new form and strives to use modern human technology to bring about an end to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ok well i could be like miles off with this because i think the concepts of this is escaping me but i though of a person.feel free to throw aside at will.

well the main struggle is between the innocent and lust.

well theres always a balance to each evil and good so i'd like to have someone who could stop lust but basically just dosent care anymore.like he's reclusive but strong and is a match bothe physically and mentally for lust but has had a hard life and has lost his fire.he and lust may be related and as lusts power grows the sadness surrounding my chap grows till he meets th innocent by chance.

im thinking maybe his wife/girlfriend died a few years back and that quenched his spirit but the youthful innocent reignites it in a non-pervy way and he sets out release the innocent from lusts cold and steely grasp.

id see him as a james bond turned hobo type caracter.good looking but unkempt till he decides to help the innocent.and lust dosent like this at all.

i think that while mt dudes all depressed and woe is me lust should treat him like an irritating child and be very condesending but yet knows they are an even match.

dont htink that made any sense at all but it took me ages to type it so im leaving it up anyway.

and i dont have a name for him so if you like him come up with one till then he is known as bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

SDooM wrote: »
    I could see this character being a pawn used by Lust, thinking he is getting what he wants by being around the innocent, but it eventually comes to a head between the two spirits.

I do read Pratchett but actually the idea is just as much inspired by Neil Gaimans Endless as by the antropomorphic personification in Discworld!

I don't think this character would be a pawn of lust to be honest. I do agree that the two would come into a major conflict though. Lust and obsession are definitely connected, but the version of obsession I have in mind for my character has little or nothing to do with sexuality, and I think that is Lusts area. The character I have in mind would not be interested in sex or physicality, but would be interested in possessing the object of their desire completely and the despair and desperation of not being able to have the object of their desire.

BTW, I meant the Pratchett reference as a joke dude, my bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Sadism- the desire to inflict pain and suffering on another- perhaps someone who literally drinks tears and screams...

Lonliness- Here's one for someone who's camera shy... thinking of a spirit with no face, perhaps some kind of scratched effect where the face should be.

Loving both those ideas. :)
    I don't think we need to know much about her other than she is truly innocent. She does not deserve what is happening to her.

So she plays a very small part?

Also, Orestes and Doom really are nocturnal. These were posted after 3.30am! Jeepers! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why would lust be male ?

I'd sooner see lust as female, goading and pushing the innocents limits and
    being that wick voice telling her to do obsene things.

Lust could "want" her in different ways.

He could, literally, want her to himself, to whatever twisted purposes fuel him. He could foil the other creatures attempts to claim her himself, and even appear to help her- even though, ultimimately, he wants to consume her for his own.

Alternatively he could be playing everyone. He could be masterminding the innocents interactions with the other creatures, using them in an attempt to corrupt her (or scare her into his protection, where once again he would have her).

Either way he is a nasty git so he doesnt deserve her. :D

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Why would lust be male ?

I'd sooner see lust as female, goading and pushing the innocents limits and
    being that wick voice telling her to do obsene things.

Thought a male would be more apt for the "blood lust" side of thing.

Actually maybe Lust could have a male and female side, depending on what it's up to.

Thought a male would be more apt for the "blood lust" side of thing.

Why ?

Surely the point of this is to be un natural and to push boundaries ?

I don't think this character would be a pawn of lust to be honest. I do agree that the two would come into a major conflict though. Lust and obsession are definitely connected, but the version of obsession I have in mind for my character has little or nothing to do with sexuality, and I think that is Lusts area. The character I have in mind would not be interested in sex or physicality, but would be interested in possessing the object of their desire completely and the despair and desperation of not being able to have the object of their desire.

BTW, I meant the Pratchett reference as a joke dude, my bad

:) Don't worry, you were still right!

*wonders if I'll get to have a big fight with orestes :D*

Why ?

Surely the point of this is to be un natural and to push boundaries ?

If you think ladies lusting after things is unnatural and boundary pushing you should meet some of my friends :)

Actually I'm open to the idea, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Cool idea. Would be very interested to see the outcome. Best of luck with it !

OH trust me I personally dont' think it is that unsual even the blood lust, but the idea would be the contrast to the young innocent and trying to corrupt her from with in by playing on her own lusts and desires...

That the grotestic are facets of her own physce....

OH trust me I personally dont' think it is that unsual even the blood lust, but the idea would be the contrast to the young innocent and trying to corrupt her from with in by playing on her own lusts and desires...

That the grotestic are facets of her own physce....

AFAIK thats not decided... The original idea I had is that the grotesque are actually the souls of people who died, and they were so obsessed with particular vagaries in life that when they died, their twisted souls clung onto this reality and came to embody the essence of the emotion/desire they craved in life.

However they're ephemeral, able to subtly manipulate the minds of people but not physically wreak any destruction.

The innocent is effectively a nexus in reality, around which these creatures can manifest. They're all looking to break into this world to engage in whatever excess they desire.

Just to say again its all brain storming and giving Dragan ideas at this point.

Ah so she is thier portal and they way thiey try manifest, but are they phyically doing that or are they going to ride her like spirits and loa ?

Ah so she is thier portal and they way thiey try manifest, but are they phyically doing that or are they going to ride her like spirits and loa ?

Dunno. Thus the brain storming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Are you drinking?? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

If my other idea isn't gonna fly I wouldn't mind doing something with sadism, I'd find it a pretty interesting character to work on. I have an interest in serial killers and sadomasochists and that kind of thing so I'd be more than willing to give that character a shot
    *wonders if I'll get to have a big fight with orestes :D*

And the research will come in useful for when I have to whup Dooms ass :D

Once again thanks to the people who have pmed me, i have gotten some great suggestions but I'm in work so I can't give them the time they deserve, I'll update ye in the wee small hours.

Spanks!

If my other idea isn't gonna fly I wouldn't mind doing something with sadism, I'd find it a pretty interesting character to work on. I have an interest in serial killers and sadomasochists and that kind of thing so I'd be more than willing to give that character a shot

And the research will come in useful for when I have to whup Dooms ass :D

I'd like to hear from Dragan on it. I like your idea, I also like the idea of a sadist floating through, putting the innocent in peril for his/her/its desire!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Doom, What level of detail are you looking for in charactarisation? Are you looking for scenarios as well and is there a single draft story outline that we can base our ideas round while we work on them?

(Apologies if this is all over the shop. The Prosecco was calling me all day!)

• Advertisement

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=261
    Prototype Lust... probably threatening paperclip!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

picture.php?pictureid=261&albumid=62&dl=1217112944&thumb=1

Prototype Lust... probably threatening paperclip!

Ooo Er!

:p

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Doom, What level of detail are you looking for in charactarisation? Are you looking for scenarios as well and is there a single draft story outline that we can base our ideas round while we work on them?

(Apologies if this is all over the shop. The Prosecco was calling me all day!)

I reckon you could come up with a life history of the character, why they became what they did.

Then come up with how they would behave.

Then we can slot them into the story!

I reckon you could come up with a life history of the character, why they became what they did.

Then come up with how they would behave.

Then we can slot them into the story!
    Slot them into what story though? I know my idea has been the only one that outlined any sort of plot (I think), that's just the way my head works though. I couldn't develop characters for something when I didn't know what was going to happen...

I guess my point would be: If we develop a lot of characters, and then roll a story around them, it could turn into a bit of a mish mash, no?

Having said all that, I'm rather envious of those of you (SDooM and orestes in particular) that have developed very interesting characters, my head just won't do that for me! :)

I guess it's like writing music, do you come up with the tune and then write the lyrics or vice versa? I never got a handle on that either! :P

Still psyched for the project though! Might I suggest we place Dragan as almighty head of the project? While some peoples ideas might get stepped on(mine included), I think we need one person to just make judgment calls, or we may end up with a too many cooks scenario.

Mirror wrote: »
    Slot them into what story though? I know my idea has been the only one that outlined any sort of plot (I think), that's just the way my head works though. I couldn't develop characters for something when I didn't know what was going to happen...

I guess my point would be: If we develop a lot of characters, and then roll a story around them, it could turn into a bit of a mish mash, no?

Having said all that, I'm rather envious of those of you (SDooM and orestes in particular) that have developed very interesting characters, my head just won't do that for me! :)

I guess it's like writing music, do you come up with the tune and then write the lyrics or vice versa? I never got a handle on that either! :P

Still psyched for the project though! Might I suggest we place Dragan as almighty head of the project? While some peoples ideas might get stepped on(mine included), I think we need one person to just make judgment calls, or we may end up with a too many cooks scenario.

Trust me on this: We get a group of characters representing the grotesque side of human nature, and the story will present itself. :)

Trust me on this: We get a group of characters representing the grotesque side of human nature, and the story will present itself. :)
    Ok, keeping the faith!

Where is Dragan these days anyway??

Ok, keeping the faith!

Where is Dragan these days anyway??

Dunno.

I cant give you straight answers about anything till I talk to him, see! His baby, Im just helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

How are things on the website front? Gimme a shout if you need anything in that department :)

The Walsho wrote: »
    How are things on the website front? Gimme a shout if you need anything in that department :)
    There's a website??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

There's a website??

I thought there was going to be a website for this? Online comic? Have I completely misunderstood? I've only just skimmed through the thread so will give it a proper read through now.

Advertisement