Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

TheoBoone wrote: »
    I wouldn't for a second say that the part of Roland isn't important to the Dark Tower, but it's even more important to remember that he's not the only part in the Dark Tower series. I would say that their casting choices for Eddie, Suzanna, Jake and Fr Callahan(I think Clint Eastwood!!!) are going to make or break this thing. So I'd be keeping an eye out for who they cast for Eddie and the gang over the next few months.

I do have to say that Bardem is a solid choice for Roland though. I'm yet to see him in anything good outside of No Country For Old Men and Biutiful, so this should be interesting.

Also, just to mention in, I think Benecio Del Toro would make a great Randal Flagg.

Bang On. I'll go with Bardem as Roland but they need to keep the other players fairly unknown I think. Clint Eastwood as Fr. Callahan would be great. I think Viggo Mortensen would be a good choice for Roland as well. Knowing Hollywood it'll be Beyonce as Suzanna and Daniel Radcliffe as Jake. I really doubt we'll see this done well tbh. It should be a long mini-series or nothing and I hope King has a major influence on it. Any nominations for the voice of Blaine ?

Edit: sorry for the thumb down. Didn't mean it for your post.

Reedit: Just saw Ron Howard attached to this. Not sure about that at all at all.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This is no longer happening. At least not at Universal, who have killed the project for what seems to be budgetary reasons.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/universal-wont-scale-stephen-kings-the-dark-tower-studio-declines-to-make-ambitious-trilogy-and-tv-series/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i dont see how it would translate anyway, unless they changed it a fair bit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/19/us-darktower-idUSTRE76I06Q20110719
    Universal pulls plug on Stephen King's "The Dark Tower"

Universal's ambitious adaptation of Stephen King's fantasy series has been canceled, TheWrap has confirmed.

The first film was slated to begin production this summer, but shooting was delayed last spring with the studio announcing that it needed to make the project more cost-effective.

That temporary delay became permanent this week, and now deprives Universal of a film series that it had hoped to make a linchpin for its film slate for years to come.

The studio declined to comment.

All told, the project was supposed to involve three movies and a television series.

The scope of the production and King's bona fides attracted big talent. Ron Howard was expected to direct and produce the first movie; Akiva Goldsman was lined up to produce and write and Brian Grazer was also on board as a producer. Javier Bardem was supposed to star.

Yet after being announced with great fanfare last fall, "The Dark Tower" ran up against a very different corporate culture after Comcast took over the studio in January.

More than ex-corporate parent G.E., Comcast leans toward the frugal, and the very expensive "Dark Tower" clearly left the people who control the purse strings uncomfortable.

Following Comcast's acquisition, Universal has shown a willingness to make cuts. In March, the studio scrapped plans to make Guillermo del Toro's $150 million adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's "Mountains of Madness." Gone it seems, are the days when risky adult dramas such as "Public Enemies" could get $100 million budgets because of the caliber of the talent involved.

But in cutting "The Dark Tower" from its schedule, Universal does run the risk of alienating one of its most loyal and profitable partners, Imagine Entertainment. Howard and Grazer's production company has earned millions of dollars in profits for the studio with hits such as "American Gangster" and "A Beautiful Mind."

On Monday, Universal apparently decided that the risk was so great that "The Dark Tower" wouldn't join that list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That's a real shame, but it is better than a half-assed attempt at least, hopefully it can be revived at some point in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

hugh-laurie-3.jpg

ROLAND.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm more miffed about At The Mountains of Madness getting canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I find it a bit strange that Mountains of Madness would cost 150 million to make, they wander around caves for a bit, I don't see how that should cost 150 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

bombidol wrote: »
    hugh-laurie-3.jpg

ROLAND.

I would prefer Dennis Quaid for Roland.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxVtbSOF4aofn3ymD21UpJCXe3iBUsfHMUvN4dVJCYGibw-YErDg&t=1

Aaron Paul as Eddie Dean.

ask_paul.jpg

Gina Torres as Susannah.

gina-torres.jpg?d=600

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

And ... it's back. Maybe. Deadline is reporting that Warner Bros. might give the first film a green light within two weeks, with Ron Howard directing, and that Russell Crowe could be cast as Deschain. The talk is of a film trilogy followed by a TV series.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Aaron Paul as Eddie Dean.

ask_paul.jpg

Was this just who you wanted??

Looks like it could be a good prediction! Apparently in talks for Eddie.

My personal opinion is it would be a terrible choice. I liked Breaking Bad and all, but I dont find Paul an appealing actor really, and certainly not one to take on the role of Dean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So apparently its been green lit, after so many false starts and rumors I wont believe it til I see it but this sounds good.....
    In an exclusive report from Deadline, it’s been announced that Stephen King’s horror/fantasy series The Dark Tower will be produced for both film and television. Sony Pictures will be teaming with MRC to co-finance this project.

The series will start with The Gunslinger, the first book in the series. The latest script is co-written by Akiva Golsdman and Jeff Pinkner.

King himself has commented:

I’m excited that The Dark Tower is finally going to appear on the screen. Those who have traveled with Roland and his friends in their search for the Dark Tower are going to have their long-held hopes fully realized. This is a brilliant and creative approach to my books.

Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group chairman Tom Rothman adds:

There are few projects out there that compare with the scope, vision, complex characters and fully drawn world that Stephen King has created with The Dark Tower. I am a giant fan. And, as Stephen himself does, we love the direction that Akiva and Jeff have taken. This is a great opportunity for a director to put his or her stamp on a cool global franchise.

There is no release date yet but it’s pretty amazing to see this series move forward after years and years of speculation, rumors, and missed opportunities.

I do think its only a matter of time before it does actually happen, particularly with the likes of Preacher getting made.

Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The studio is probably looking at it and thinking "Kingverse" and we'll get a load of tie-in movies such as 'Salem's Lot and The Stand.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Preacher is getting made?!?!

I just read the first Dark Tower book a month ago, not gone anywhere near the rest yet. I've been told I should get addicted at some point in the second book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mickeroo wrote: »

I just read the first Dark Tower book a month ago, not gone anywhere near the rest yet. I've been told I should get addicted at some point in the second book though.

Yeah, as soon as I heard Preacher was getting made I started reading the comics. Had been meaning to get to them. About ⅓ of the way through now.

It was for a similar reason that I finally got around to starting The Dark Tower series. I've been on Song for Susannah for the last couple of years. I read most of it while travelling and since returning have found it very difficult to pick up a book.

Mickeroo wrote: »

AMC are making it with Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg writing and producing. It's shaping up rather well cast wise with Dominic Cooper looking likely to be playing the lead. Hoping that it will take what was good about the comic and retain it while dumping all the unnecessary smut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

AMC are making it with Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg writing and producing. It's shaping up rather well cast wise with Dominic Cooper looking likely to be playing the lead. Hoping that it will take what was good about the comic and retain it while dumping all the unnecessary smut.

Joseph Gilgun too from what I've read. I've liked him in most things I've seen him in, particularly This is England and Lockout.

Just realised that I started reading the first book a few weeks back and never finished, have read it before but wanted to read the entire series but I think the sheer number of books involved just put me off. There's so much I have to read that another series is just going to result in me further adding to my already incredibly long back list.

L'prof wrote: »
    Joseph Gilgun too from what I've read. I've liked him in most things I've seen him in, particularly This is England and Lockout.

He was fantastic in Pride and in Lockout he did manic better than most, kinda hope he brings that energy to Cassidy. Negga is playing Tulip and there's a lot of other names being banded about as interested so it's looking good though I do fear that it could just be sex and violence for the sake of being adult.

Im up as far as around issue 45 of Preacher and dont think its smutty or sexual content heavy or gratuitously violent, for example
    Herr Starr's leanings are implied rather than shown, likewise with Odin and Miss Oatlash. The violence mostly involves guns with the Saint of Killers or bare hands, there has been nothing sadistic in it imo. TV shows like Banshee are sex heavy and show things like broken bones coming through flesh, torture etc, the source material is relatively tame in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

http://deadline.com/2015/04/dark-tower-movie-tv-series-stephen-king-sony-mrc-1201407880/
    Cant wait and lets hope they don't make a balls of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,415 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I won't believe it till they actually start filming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Massive fan of the series, hope it gets made.

I would actually like to see Daniel Craig as Roland.

The new script is primarily based on the first book in the series, The Gunslinger, and the relationship between Roland and Jake.

As a huge fan whos never finished the last book in the Dark Tower because when King wrote himself into the story it sucked ass I hope they never try to make any kind of TV, mini series or movie trilogy out of it. Most King adapatations are **** apart from the shining, the mist etc but to try to put the Dark Tower on screen is futile. I'd love to see a movie of the Talisman though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

How many Dark tower books were there. I think i read 5. Am i missing any?

7 missing two i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Heckler wrote: »
    7 missing two i think

Ok thanks. You wouldnt happen to know the names of the last 2 by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

mg1982 wrote: »
    How many Dark tower books were there. I think i read 5. Am i missing any?
    Heckler wrote: »
    7 missing two i think
    mg1982 wrote: »
    Ok thanks. You wouldnt happen to know the names of the last 2 by any chance?

There's actually 8. The last two are the Dark Tower and Song of Susannah (i think). Then there's Wind Through the Keyhole which is between 4 and 5, a side story, story within a story, flashback preludey thing.

• Advertisement

http://stephenking.com/darktower/book/

It gets a bit complicated !

Advertisement