Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Steve wrote: »
    /back on topic.

Yes it can be confusing when there are mod name changes, however, as long as the rules are consistently applied then where is the problem?

If mods had anon accounts would it change things? Only thing it would change would be the ability to criticise a particular mod for individual actions.

The issue is the rules ARE NOT consistently applied - as indeed we've seen tonight yet again.

Look, we've been here before (both myself and others in numerous feedback threads) and it's always the same. The Mods pile in on these threads backing each other up and seeing nothing wrong while reminding us they're volunteers, the Admins come in with the HR spiel, and the thread dies a death.

If ye genuinely don't see anything wrong, or don't recognise the issues I've called out, then I (and others) am just wasting my breath. "Normal service" will be resumed and the decline of the site over the last few years can continue unimpeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    Look, we've been here before (both myself and others in numerous feedback threads) and it's always the same. The Mods pile in on these threads backing each other up and seeing nothing wrong while reminding us they're volunteers, the Admins come in with the HR spiel, and the thread dies a death.

This is a bit of a catch 22 though Kaiser. If we don't engage we are ignoring you, if we engage we are piling on.

We don't have a rep that can speak for all of us with one voice, so if you want the opinions or discussions of mods, you have to accept multiple takes imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    If ye genuinely don't see anything wrong, or don't recognise the issues I've called out, then I (and others) am just wasting my breath. "Normal service" will be resumed and the decline of the site over the last few years can continue unimpeded.

I'm not saying the system is perfect by any means. It's what we have for now.

What would you suggest we do - in terms of protocols - to improve it?

You are here long enough to know simply complaining about it gets you nowhere and only antagonises the mods, suggestions as to how to do it better is what this forum is for. :)

Pter wrote: »
    This is a bit of a catch 22 though Kaiser. If we don't engage we are ignoring you, if we engage we are piling on.

We don't have a rep that can speak for all of us with one voice, so if you want the opinions or discussions of mods, you have to accept multiple takes imo.

With the exception of yourself in fairness, so far the only responses are:

- I can do what I want
    - We're unpaid volunteers and so can't be expected to provide quality service
    - What issue? There's no issue.

When the response is that there's nothing to discuss, where do you go from there?

Steve wrote: »
    I'm not saying the system is perfect by any means. It's what we have for now.

What would you suggest we do - in terms of protocols - to improve it?

You are here long enough to know simply complaining about it gets you nowhere and only antagonises the mods, suggestions as to how to do it better is what this forum is for. :)

Agreed, but there have been numerous threads with hundreds/thousands of posts each discussing these issues to death, feedback and change promised, but not delivered.

I've already given some ideas in this thread around changes but I'm also up at 6 in the morning so I will come back to this point tomorrow - fair enough?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I've already given some ideas in this thread around changes but I'm also up at 6 in the morning so I will come back to this point tomorrow - fair enough?

Sure, talk tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

This is where my point around age profile, backgrounds and so on comes into play regarding the Mod selection process. It's obviously not enough to just pick out posters the Mods like or who have a high post count and low infraction count.

Ye have a position of responsibility and authority and you need to take that seriously

Age? Background? What part of anonymous are you not getting here? I've absolutely no idea how old anyone else is. Except ken, who's ancient apparently :pac:

You need to come at this with some sort of logic if you actually want to change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

PostWhy do some mods no names you know them delete one liners as a matter of course .There are times when a one liner is the only answer otherwise you post some rubbish so won't be deleted.I think mods just stir up **** to justify themselves ,do not agree with a post or get a power trip on the ban hammer. How a mod hate list or poll the most hated it might root out a few bad ones and expose them .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If you really don't see anything wrong with the attitudes you've expressed above then there's no point discussing it with you.

It's IRRELEVANT in this context whether you're paid staff or not. The role comes with (or SHOULD come with) a level of maturity, ownership and responsibility to the users and indeed site (and the perception of same - it's well known that Moderation is seen as a negative here) that transcends any sort of "I'm not getting paid so you can't hold me accountable" cop-out.

This is where my point around age profile, backgrounds and so on comes into play regarding the Mod selection process. It's obviously not enough to just pick out posters the Mods like or who have a high post count and low infraction count.

Ye have a position of responsibility and authority and you need to take that seriously

Well, what's wrong with my attitude then? Care to explain it? I'm trying to be realistic here.

My point is that your expectations of a moderation team far exceeds what a team of unpaid volunteers can provide in their spare time. It is not in any way irrelevant and not a cop out. I don't know why you choose to be so dismissive of that point when it is key to show the feasibility of how your ideal mod team would operate.

You also ignored my point about using a charter. It's core to what we use when making mod decisions. Do you have a suggestion for a better charter? One that can tighten any variance that might occur between the decisions made between different mods when actioning similar posts whilst simultaneously being easy to understand for regular posters and catering for the light-hearted nature of the forum? Or do you have a better idea than a charter?

True enough, but it has to start with a standard and consistent approach from the Mods that is appropriate, fair and transparent to the users. Once you have that, it takes care of the "pick and choose" aspect as the answers will be the same.

We don't need draconian rules to achieve this - this is a discussion forum and the goal should be to keep a thread open unless it has to be closed for legal reasons, re-reg trolling, or as a last resort.

The general principle of "don't be a dick" should hold and be guided by what are general common sense principles (and obvious baiting or other nonsense should be sanctioned accordingly) and the rules of the charter. Deal with the problem posters, don't restrict an otherwise valid discussion.

But Mods need to realise and appreciate that they have a position of responsibility and accountability that needs to be borne in mind whenever they take action or indeed post on a forum they also Mod. They aren't like other users and double-standards should not apply. Think before ye post or take action.

I referee in my spare time as well. Have done for 8 years now.....and even with a very defined set of rules, extensive referee training and very clear expectations around responsibility and accountability, there is HUGE variation in rule interpretations between referees. And its the #1 complaint that referees hear. Now i can only interpret the rules as i think are correct. I cant interpret them how someone else would; and yes when im playing and a call goes against me that i dont agree with it is very annoying, but one has to respect the call and keep playing within the rules.

I think its a matter of course that you are going to have different approaches from different individuals where any kind of arbitration or rule enforcement is being done.

I dont think thats to say mods don't try to reflect, improve and do a better job as they go on.....in fact i know that they do.....but i would, respectfully, suggest that your expectations around how uniform mod decisions can or will be needs a looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Agreed, but there have been numerous threads with hundreds/thousands of posts each discussing these issues to death, feedback and change promised, but not delivered.
    Please help me and provide details of any changes you believe were promised but not delivered. I am not challenging your assertion, but would like to understand where things may have fallen down.

As you are aware I've spent quite a lot of time trying to address many of the issues originally highlighted in the AH "Slow Death of Forums" thread. Equally, I tried to prioritise some of those issues (including getting this Feedback forum more open). Do you think there are any particular;y important or significant points we have not at least provided feedback on?

Again I'm not looking to challenge you, just to identify where you and others may believe we are letting you down

There is one area I will hold my hands up on, and that's this whole "Current Affairs" forum issue. The reason for that is when we started looking for specific feedback on the point we got very mixed messages over whether to try it out. That links into the "tagging" question already being aired in Feedback. I personally still think Current Affairs is worth a go, and we can work on that specific one, but are there any others?

All,

I'm reading through the responses above, but don't have the time to properly write a response to the various points raised at the moment. Will come back to this later on today or this evening however.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

How about a poll to vote or your favourite mod would it be allowed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

rgossip30 wrote: »
    How about a poll to vote or your favourite mod would it be allowed ?

No-one would know who to vote for cause they keep changing their names.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think you're being unfair and unreasonable. You want people to engage with you and yet when they do, you blatantly misrepresent their responses. Has anyone actually said these things?
    "I'm not getting paid so you can't hold me accountable"
    With the exception of yourself in fairness, so far the only responses are:

- I can do what I want
    - We're unpaid volunteers and so can't be expected to provide quality service
    - What issue? There's no issue.

If the AH mods pulled the same stunt with your posts, you'd be going nuts. Personally I think they've the patience of saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,254 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I'm going to step in and try and see if we all can move forward from the events of the last few days.

Firstly if there is a charter to adhere to why wasn't it used properly and if it has, changes should be made or alternatives made and have the mods be made aware of these.

I personally got no notification of my banning until I logged on to the site and saw what had happened. First time for everything I suppose

I understand we are all humans and we can make mistakes but at the end of the day we all want the same thing and that's rules apply to everyone and not just pick and choose who to discipline or not.

It's easy for tempers to become frayed and moderators to be in the firing line when it comes to popular threads. I rarely if ever have an issue with the moderation in After Hours. Last night however was just bizarre and I'm very glad its been sorted out.

I don't think it had anything to do with the charter though. That is there as a guide in my view and can't account for every single possible issue or rule. So much of looking after the forum comes down to being able to act diplomatically and fairly while being aware that flexibility and balance is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,254 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I agree with some of what your saying but sometimes the constant moaning that Mods are unpaid is tiring, I agree it's not a nice job but if you don't like the conditions you can always leave. I love only some mods ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Autosport wrote: »
    I agree with some of what your saying but sometimes the constant moaning that Mods are unpaid is tiring, I agree it's not a nice job but if you don't like the conditions you can always leave. I love only some mods ;)
    Any such moaning I have seen has been in response to moaning at mods, and moderation by "regular" users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I personally got no notification of my banning until I logged on to the site and saw what had happened. First time for everything I suppose

Thread bans are an on thread thing that don't tarnish your record. Its not a card or ban. Going forward I will endeavour to pm people I thread ban informing them of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm going to step in and try and see if we all can move forward from the events of the last few days.

Firstly if there is a charter to adhere to why wasn't it used properly and if it has, changes should be made or alternatives made and have the mods be made aware of these.

I understand we are all humans and we can make mistakes but at the end of the day we all want the same thing and that's rules apply to everyone and not just pick and choose who to discipline or not.

The events of the last few days are about more than your temp ban Auto. While most probably related in a kneejerk fashion, the main issue with the where am I thread involves me, shoesdayschild, mike oxlong and the accusations that I ran Northgirl off the previous thread (part 5) and I have a history of bullying female posters. When that matter is cleared up, the thread will be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you really don't see anything wrong with the attitudes you've expressed above then there's no point discussing it with you.

It's IRRELEVANT in this context whether you're paid staff or not. The role comes with (or SHOULD come with) a level of maturity, ownership and responsibility to the users and indeed site (and the perception of same - it's well known that Moderation is seen as a negative here) that transcends any sort of "I'm not getting paid so you can't hold me accountable" cop-out.

As a moderator, all I've to do is check that the discussion in a thread fits the purpose of the forum. And that people aren't ripping holes out of each other. We aren't representative of the site. We are representative of the other users in the forums we assess.

Right... apologies for the delay. Busy day + a long commute means it takes a while to find time these days.

So, I've been reading the various responses from the various Mods since my last post and it's predictably and disappointingly pretty much as expected, namely:

- What issue?

- You're being unfair/unrealistic

- We're volunteers, not customer service

.. in other words, the same responses as last night.. with lots of mods thanking each other to validate each post from their colleagues.

So, let's set out the issues as I see them:

- Inconsistent moderation

- Hugely variable mod quality (leading to the first point)

- Lack of awareness of the impact of the Mod role, the impression certain actions and behaviours can give, and no real care for these points either

- An absence of a genuine willingness to listen, engage and change in response to the feedback from the user base (not helped by the aforementioned chorus of Mods thanking each other whenever issues are raised in this forum - it's very easy to think all is fine when that's all you see).
    Putting it back on the user in each case to "justify yourself" is an easy answer and shows that same lack of self-awareness among the Mod team. Maybe a better approach might be to have a chat among yourselves honestly and see if there is any merit to a point raised? (did ye discuss the debacle last night for example? If so, what was the outcome?)

BUT.. Boards has evolved far from its origins as a site for Quake players to the largest discussion forum in Ireland and a commercial enterprise which depends on its profile and the content generated by users in order to market itself as a platform to other companies and advertisers.
    Without those users the site is dead, and it would befit some of the team to remember that in how they interact with them and their own actions as Mods.
    As such, the defence that "we're unpaid volunteers" doesn't hold, nor does arrogant condescension that "I can do what I want". All it does is highlight how unfit for purpose the current selection process is, which from what I can tell is "we like what s/he posts and they have a clean record" - but with no consideration for whether they're actually suitable for the role in the same way that not everyone is suited to be a people manager or manager in general.

A complaint above is that I'm expecting customer service - well, why not? You're engaging with users in a support and oversight capacity and expecting users to respect that. Seems only fair that there should be some awareness of what that involves and a clear and transparent charter of what users can expect, not just how they should behave. Do Mods get any actual training, or is it PM's, some (often pretty old) charter guidelines and a FAQ sheet? (I'm not being smart - I genuinely don't know seeing as the whole process is shrouded in mystery and I've never been a Mod - but a lack of transparency in general is another often raised point here). If ye were volunteering with the Samaritans you'd get training. Why not for what is ultimately representing a commercial site?

It strikes me also that a lot of the problem may be too many Mods. Given the lack of consistency, wide latitude (because ye are doing the site a favour), and general unaccountability in addition to the point above, it's not really a surprise then that Mod actions and opinions vary hugely - about the only thing you do seem to agree on is that there isn't a problem with this.

The bottom line here is that yes Modding is a generally thankless and no doubt frustrating job.. but as Autosport mentioned, if you don't like the conditions you can always step down, right? Especially as you're not getting paid for it.
    Ultimately I'm not really saying anything new here that hasn't been highlighted numerous times by many other posters in the past. Yet, despite this and promises of change, we still see solo runs like last night resulting in unnecessary and unwarranted actions, user confusion and dissatisfaction, and threads like this because some of us DO expect better - we freely give our time and contribute a lot as well after all!

Now, rather than telling me it's all in my head, or quoting a snippet of the above and ignoring the rest, why don't you take this away for the night, have a chat among yourselves and see if maybe there ARE some things ye could be doing better here. Better yet, how about proactively inviting feedback (good AND bad) on an ongoing basis and using it as a platform for improvement and showing the users that their input IS appreciated and acted upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Shoesdaychild & Grandeeod - that’s enough. Please don’t bring your differences into Feedback.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

dudara wrote: »
    @Shoesdaychild & Grandeeod - that’s enough. Please don’t bring your differences into Feedback.

dudara

Why was my response to the quoted post by me deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Because you were instructed by me to leave this topic alone. Please do not post on this topic again.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

What exactly happened re modding last night that was so bad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Right... apologies for the delay. Busy day + a long commute means it takes a while to find time these days.

So, I've been reading the various responses from the various Mods since my last post and it's predictably and disappointingly pretty much as expected, namely:

- What issue?

.. in other words, the same responses as last night.. with lots of mods thanking each other to validate each post from their colleagues.

- Lack of awareness of the impact of the Mod role, the impression certain actions and behaviours can give, and no real care for these points either

- An absence of a genuine willingness to listen, engage and change in response to the feedback from the user base (not helped by the aforementioned chorus of Mods thanking each other whenever issues are raised in this forum - it's very easy to think all is fine when that's all you see).
    Putting it back on the user in each case to "justify yourself" is an easy answer and shows that same lack of self-awareness among the Mod team. Maybe a better approach might be to have a chat among yourselves honestly and see if there is any merit to a point raised? (did ye discuss the debacle last night for example? If so, what was the outcome?)

BUT.. Boards has evolved far from its origins as a site for Quake players to the largest discussion forum in Ireland and a commercial enterprise which depends on its profile and the content generated by users in order to market itself as a platform to other companies and advertisers.
    Without those users the site is dead, and it would befit some of the team to remember that in how they interact with them and their own actions as Mods.
    As such, the defence that "we're unpaid volunteers" doesn't hold, nor does arrogant condescension that "I can do what I want". All it does is highlight how unfit for purpose the current selection process is, which from what I can tell is "we like what s/he posts and they have a clean record" - but with no consideration for whether they're actually suitable for the role in the same way that not everyone is suited to be a people manager or manager in general.

A complaint above is that I'm expecting customer service - well, why not? You're engaging with users in a support and oversight capacity and expecting users to respect that. Seems only fair that there should be some awareness of what that involves and a clear and transparent charter of what users can expect, not just how they should behave. Do Mods get any actual training, or is it PM's, some (often pretty old) charter guidelines and a FAQ sheet? (I'm not being smart - I genuinely don't know seeing as the whole process is shrouded in mystery and I've never been a Mod - but a lack of transparency in general is another often raised point here). If ye were volunteering with the Samaritans you'd get training. Why not for what is ultimately representing a commercial site?

It strikes me also that a lot of the problem may be too many Mods. Given the lack of consistency, wide latitude (because ye are doing the site a favour), and general unaccountability in addition to the point above, it's not really a surprise then that Mod actions and opinions vary hugely - about the only thing you do seem to agree on is that there isn't a problem with this.

The bottom line here is that yes Modding is a generally thankless and no doubt frustrating job.. but as Autosport mentioned, if you don't like the conditions you can always step down, right? Especially as you're not getting paid for it.
    Ultimately I'm not really saying anything new here that hasn't been highlighted numerous times by many other posters in the past. Yet, despite this and promises of change, we still see solo runs like last night resulting in unnecessary and unwarranted actions, user confusion and dissatisfaction, and threads like this because some of us DO expect better - we freely give our time and contribute a lot as well after all!

Now, rather than telling me it's all in my head, or quoting a snippet of the above and ignoring the rest, why don't you take this away for the night, have a chat among yourselves and see if maybe there ARE some things ye could be doing better here. Better yet, how about proactively inviting feedback (good AND bad) on an ongoing basis and using it as a platform for improvement and showing the users that their input IS appreciated and acted upon.

It's not customer service. Moderators are not a support function. Never have been and I doubt they ever will be. Anyone who sees it as such has got the wrong end of the stick.

Our main aim is to enable a discussion, so of it goes sideways, we encourage people to bring it back in. You enquire about training and transparency. You've already been advised that a suitor is picked and reviewed, based on their familiarity of the forum and conduct on the site. This isn't to fill the wagons with yes men, before we circle them against any criticism. We are critics ourselves. And surely the DRP forum should allay any sense of covert actions, or lack of willingness to listen, compromise, learn?

Some moderation on some forums can be heavy handed and appear short tempered, but that's mostly to match or anticipating a harsh reception of moderating activities. People don't like being told to stop discussing. Especially when it comes to a heated or often regurgitated topic. Even posters come across more harsh with how they expect some threads to flow in a lot of the inflammatory topics that come up on AH. Before there's even a need for moderating present in one.

As Brendan Rodgers recently said " What the f*** are you doing? Bloody hell, I'm one of you."

Kaiser I appreciate there are a lot of people addressing you, and it's easier to try to sort Every thing and respond to all in one post, but I don't recognise what I have said in this thread in your last post.

If you want to discuss further with me, I'm happy to chat.....but I'm not going to respond to your responses to other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

- What issue?

"What issue?" - Unless, I've missed something, nobody denied there was any issue. Steve denied the system is perfect, and that's the closest I could find. In fact, the only person who has said this is you here. You made that statement yourself and trying to pass it off as something a mod has claimed. Misleading and best and dishonest at worst.

"You're being unfair/unrealistic" - Yes, yes you are. I've explained why already but I'll elaborate on that below. In the meantime, BdC gave his own very good reason here, which you didn't acknowledge.

Some mods agree with points made by other mods. Big deal. Amount of thanks doesn't quantify anything. Do you actually have a point to make here?

"Inconsistent moderation" - already explained here. Answer completely dismissed by you here. I've asked for suggestions here, but you ignored them.

"Hugely variable mod quality (leading to the first point)" - According to you. Mods come from different backgrounds. Some are new mods, others have experience from modding other forums. But nobody comes in to mod AH fully prepared for what modding entails. That much was acknowledged by you.

"Lack of awareness of the impact of the Mod role, the impression certain actions and behaviours can give, and no real care for these points either" - You're going to have to explain that a bit more. I can only speak for myself and mods I mod fora with, but I wholeheartedly deny that mods are unaware of the impact of their actions. When making tough decisions, we always consult with one another. Sometimes threads spiral out of control and the easiest way to resolve the matter is to temporarily close the thread to deal with reported posts, but that's in lieu of any backup. There is rarely a one-size-fits-all approach to fast moving threads and it's easy to get things wrong.

"An absence of a genuine willingness to listen, engage and change in response to the feedback from the user base" - Nonsense. I'm always open to feedback. As pointed out to you above, I've asked for suggestions from you and you ignored my request. Feedback works both ways.

"we're unpaid volunteers" - this does hold. Just because you choose to dismiss it doesn't make it any less relevant. Moderating in our spare time severely restricts the amount of time we can put into it. Shouldn't be difficult to understand.

"I can do what I want" - who said that? Please quote this person because I don't see it and it looks like you're making stuff up again.

"we like what s/he posts and they have a clean record" - You've managed to misrepresent dudara's post here and managed to make it sounds akin to collecting 50 tayto packets. You left out the bits about being a good contributor having cop-on, which I hope you agree, would be important requirements. You also left out the bit where it's reviewed by CMods and admins. You've brought in age and background. What exactly do you mean by background? That's too ambiguous. Please elaborate on that.

Why not customer service? Because moderation is not customer service. Blue in the face from telling you that. Why don't you understand that? They're not the same bloody thing! Look up those terms in a dictionary. Just because you think they should be the same thing doesn't automatically mean they are the same thing.

There's no training course, in case you're wondering. When appointed mods, mods are given a thorough guideline, a mod FAQ, and a mod forum where they can ask questions about the various tools available to them. At the start, mods are encouraged not to action posts, but to observe what other mods are doing. It's more a form of hands-on training/mentorship. If you have suggestions to improve on that process, we're all ears.

But comparing it to The Samaritans? Come off it. The Samaritans save people's lives ffs. Boards mods don't. Awful, awful analogy.

I prefer Pter's analogy here, where he gives up his spare time to referee games. Does he get it right every time? Probably not, but he tries he best with what he has available to him. Does his local community-owned pitch have the resources to provide linesmen and a TMO? Probably not. But what are you gonna do if Pter doesn't ref to the standards you expect; complain to the FAI/IRFU?

Are you suggesting that one way to raise the standards of moderation is to reduce the number of moderators? I don't follow. Is your point 'too many cooks'? If so, I disagree.

Because we do this in our spare time, forums like AH need a lot of mods to provide as much coverage as possible. It has happened that reports have gone untouched for 12+ hours with chaos ensuing. We've taken on two willing more mods recently so hopefully that will change.

In AH, we let each other know if we're going to be offline for an extended period like holidays etc. But sometimes, we're just not online.
    I don't get why you're repeatedly asking/suggesting/reminding us about stepping down. I'll step down if I feel myself unfit to mod or if I just don't want to do it any more, and countless others have done that already. The conditions aren't perfect but they are what they are and I don't see that as a reason to step down.

We already consult with each other when we need advice. We have a charter to adhere to in an effort to stay consistent. There is a multilayered process whereby new mods are chosen. But sometimes, going by your posts in Feedback, you'd swear mods do nothing but open mod tools and mash buttons at random before slapping each other on the back.

As said, we're open to feedback. But the feedback needs to be constructive and needs to work both ways. You can start by actually addressing the questions put to you. And when you do that, please quote the posts where the questions are in an effort to be more constructive. Wall of text quoting makes it really, really hard to follow. And the irony of quoting your entire post is not lost on me.

Advertisement