Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Robbins-life coaches

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Specialun wrote: »
    I see Tony robbins is in ireland. 3000 people attended. I was forced to go to one of his conferences many years ago and i thought it was all buzz words and cliche...whats your opinion on him or others

For the individual courses it can easily cost 1000 dollars amonth...

Do you think there all waffle..do they actually make a difference to people

When did we start using dollars here?

Paid 1000s of dollars for giving people advice on improving their lives? I am doing all this all the time _for free_ in several different areas. Maybe I need to make a career out of it! All I need is a catchy title for my packet of advice - and a way to turn about 200 words into 20,000 while essentially saying the same thing as before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

PAll I need is a catchy title for my packet of advice - and a way to turn about 200 words into 20,000 while essentially saying the same thing as before.

Thank me later: http://www.artybollocks.com/

MUCH later maybe :)

I remember a discussion with James Randi about charlatans selling nonsense of various kinds. He said many of them are transparently charlatans. But he also suggests that many of them really do believe their own bull****. He had many people come and try to do his "Million Dollar Challenge" who left genuinely baffled as to their inability to pass it. Often because they had convinced themselves of their powers - or worse people around them contrived for whatever reasons to validate those beliefs.

A great example is Yanagi Ryuken who thought he could defeat multiple attackers - without touching them - using merely the power of his "chi" - and we have videos of him doing just that where the students are clearly complicit in the fantasy. But when the "master" went up against an actual assailant the result is - I warn you not pretty - an old man getting punched repeatedly in the face.

I wonder if a similar divide exists in the world of "self help" con artists. Sure some of them know they are selling "non-speech" to people the likes of which a "generator" like the link above can produce - the Deepak Chopra types.

But how many of them shared their "advice" with people who then genuinely went on to do really well? It must be very easy to fall into the concept of "Hang on - I really must have something here".

I myself have coached and guided people with some simple advice that I found helped me - and then it went on to REALLY help them. I have turned lives around completely - while improving other good lives to be better - using what I sometimes call the "incremental life change method". (See I have a catchy name already).

It would be _so_ easy to fall into a line of thinking of "Wow - this stuff works - if everyone did what I said they would all be SO much better". But I realise that is a bad intellectual path to follow - and the kind of life advice I have given to people may work for them - but it would completely fail on others. I have just been lucky - and so have they.

I would certainly offer my advice to anyone who asked for it - under the caveat that they try it and see if it works but not to expect miracles. I turned myself around from a single - lonely - lay about unhappy lazy college slob into a healthy - active - happy individual with a wonderful family and relationship and circle of friends. And the "advice" I have given people has done the same _for them_ at times. So for some my life advice "works". But I would never be so cynical as to go out and sell it to people or make a career out of it.

During the boards.ie outage I got into listening to the interviews of Jocko Willink. The interviews were great. His own podcast though is getting a bit preachy however - and the more "advice" he tries to fill the airwaves with the more general - presumptive - preachy - and in some cases outright unscientific nonsense - it is getting. Like other "self help" or "management" gurus he has some good core ideas and advice - but as soon as they try to add enough filler to get a book - podcast - or career out of it - they are just forced to populate it with complete guff.

But that is the nature of the market. The core "advice" in self help - nutrition - management - and so forth is short and concise enough. You can't sell that. So it has to be fleshed out with new "product" to distinguish it and make it marketable. And everything from Robbins, to Deepak, to Jocko, to the Cayenne Pepper Diet, to things like Alcoholics Anonymous - and so forth - are essentially a result of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why pay when your wife or girlfriend are only too happy to provide the same advice for free...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

Dooooooo......as you feeeeeeeeel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Comparing someone that has worked for 30 years helping people improve their lives and businesses and who has an amazing track record of doing so with advice from Johnny down the road is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,313 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Comparing someone that has worked for 30 years helping people improve their lives and businesses and who has an amazing track record of doing so with advice from Johnny down the road is hilarious.

so you found his seminars helpful then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

At the end of the day if you want to be successful financially it comes down to 2 things.

1. To get rich you need to be making money while you sleep.

2. Learn how to play the stock market.

So who wants to go to bed with me?

so you found his seminars helpful then?

His books and video clips that I've seen posted on Youtube have been very helpful. I have never been to his seminars. Way above what I can afford however I know 2 very successful couples who never miss him in London once a year and attend as a yearly business ritual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

He's useless compared to Richard Bandler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

At the end of the day you could watch Eastenders for 30mins per day...

...or alternatively listen to Robbins/Covey/Silva/Proctor/Tracy/Bandler etc for 30mins per day.
    (Worth mentioning most of these established folks pre-date the current 'mindfulness' fad/trend by around 20yrs).

Try each method for a month, then evaluate for yourself which has the most beneficial effect.

He's useless compared to Richard Bandler.
    I agree. Also I prefer the late Jim Rohn.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I once dumped a girl for having a load of his books on her bookshelf.

True story.

Sleepy wrote: »

True story.
    LMAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

True story.

Was she 'putting out'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Custardpi wrote: »
    This "motivational" guff has been parodied so many times (Patrick Swayze's character in Donnie Darko being my favourite) that I can't believe people still take it seriously.

True.
    My favourite is the dad in Little Miss Sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Tony Robbins engages your right brain with stories of transformation and anything's possible.

Not a bad thing per se, can help things get a bit unstuck. Pity we have to resort to such a low quality, bastardised version of right brained thinking?

At the end of the day you could watch Eastenders for 30mins per day...

...or alternatively listen to Robbins/Covey/Silva/Proctor/Tracy/Bandler etc for 30mins per day.
    (Worth mentioning most of these established folks pre-date the current 'mindfulness' fad/trend by around 20yrs).

Try each method for a month, then evaluate for yourself which has the most beneficial effect.

Is that really the either/or?

I'd do neither, I wouldn't watch some soap that's a load of crap or some fellows peddling a load of motivational crap. Could one not read a good book, go for a run or whatever?

Have to say hadn't heard of Pat Divilly until this thread. Googled him, laughed at the "vision boards" and "goal realisation". When did this hogwash escape the confines of the Oprah fan club, a group hardly known for critical appraisal and analysis?

• Advertisement

And who do you feel is doing that exactly?

I think these people are "helpful" in the same way that reading your horoscope is "helpful". Or reading Nostradamus retrospectively can find prophecy.

That is to say - when you use a lot of words to generally say nothing at all - people can mine their own meaning and value from those words. Especially when the words are presented with any level of gusto or charisma.

Likely people who have their lives changed by these people - actually changed their own lives - and these "life coaches" or "motivational speakers" merely sparked a train or two of thought in them.

It would be very difficult on the other hand to actually point to things these speakers do and say - and show any direct and actual benefit or causal effect in those words. But by all means try given you say you have the books and videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

PLL wrote: »
    I think a good cardio work out to upbeat music would achieve the same level of positivity.

Or a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Was she 'putting out'?
    A gentleman never tells...

the bookshelf was in her bedroom though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

A gentleman never tells...

the bookshelf was in her bedroom though ;)

His books were staring at you weren't they?

True story.

I applaud.

I'd nearly rather someone have the Bible on their shelf and drone on about how much it means in their life than self help books. At least the Bible contains a bit of altruism and it's not entirely about self self self self.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

This stuff is just like religion, people seeking someone or something to tell them how to improve their lives and hoping someone can give them answers to their problems, personally i think both pray on people who are insecure about their lives or themselves and exploit them for profit. It's all a load of bollix imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Documentary on this fella on Netflix now, had never heard of him before. Very clever guy, making millions out of people's insecurities and vulnerabilities-5k for a 6day seminar!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Not dead so

Advertisement