Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

muireann50 wrote: »
    For any Dark Tower fans, its been announced that Javier Bardem has been offered the role of Roland, I assume if they have announced it that means its pretty certain that he is going to accept. While I hadn't pictured him as Roland, he is a good actor and with some blue contacts I think he could be good!

Stole this from literature. I'm happier about this than Bale taking on the role.

http://www.bscreview.com/2011/01/javier-bardem-offered-the-dark-towers-roland-deschain/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Im very happy with this.Bardem is a wonderful actor.His performance in No Country For Old Men is in retrospect very Roland like.Single minded,supremely focused,ice cold and willing to do pretty much anything to reach his goal.Good news indeed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Boo Radley wrote: »
    Stole this from literature. I'm happier about this than Bale taking on the role.

http://www.bscreview.com/2011/01/javier-bardem-offered-the-dark-towers-roland-deschain/

Interesting choice, and the more one thinks about it, the easier it is to picture Bardem in the role.

Actually his No Country For Old Men co star Josh Brolin might not have been bad in the role either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I would have prefered Brolin, I really don't like this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

For me Viggo was Roland. But I hope (if this is true) that Bardem does the character justice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh didn't know about this, I adore these books, they are fantastic. I'm reading one again right now in fact. Mmmm. This book 8 thing confuses me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The book 8 thing sounds like its in fairly dodgy territory, Roland hunting a werewolf bleh. I'd like to get more info about the old ones, thats one of the best elements of the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

For me Viggo was Roland. But I hope (if this is true) that Bardem does the character justice.

I still feel the same, in fact up until a few minutes ago I had my mind made up that this will be total ****e without Viggo as the lead (let's be honest, he was practically born to play Roland!)
    The pic in this article almost has me convinced that Bardem could look the part

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

no idea who that is but looks passable I suppose. Don't know any actor hard/cool enough to be roland. :-p Gonna read these books again, they are great, and gf started the first today too. Just in time for some film action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

Didn't clint eastwood only last week state that he's open to a return to acting if the right part came along?
    Just putting it out there...:D

• Advertisement

patch wrote: »
    Didn't clint eastwood only last week state that he's open to a return to acting if the right part came along?
    Just putting it out there...:D

Too old at this stage unfortunatly.:(

would have been great for it all right

It's been a long time since I read any of the novels, the first being my favorite, but I pictured clint in spaghetti western mode as roland.
    IIRC the later books say that roland is actually quite old, especially considering the climax.
    So I reckon an old clint wouldn't be too far off the mark.
    Having said that, viggo would be the number one choice for me.
    Javier is a fine actor, but roland he certainly isn't.

Hasn't King said that Roland was based off Clint's character in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,586 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source
    Javier Bardem has officially signed on to star as Roland Deschain in Ron Howard and Brian Grazer's adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower, surprising literally nobody.

This is no normal casting news however, as the project is planned as an ambitiously huge franchise.

As well as a trilogy of films, the story will continue through three TV miniseries that are planned to follow each film.

The New York Post quotes a source as saying: “Bardem has signed on to the first movie and the miniseries, but the intention is that he will star in all three movies and each of the TV series.
    "It's an enormous deal for any actor, but Bardem was always the first choice.”

The Old West-inspired fantasy epic sees "Gunslinger" Deschain on a journey to find the mythical Dark Tower, with the hope of saving civilization.

Production on the first film looks likely to start this September with Howard directing.
    The first of the TV series will follow and then the franchise will continue inexorably, into the distant future, seen only by whatever alien race conquers us humans.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

I watched No Country For Old Men Saturday night again.He is the frickin man.

Suppose he will have to do, he's no clint though!

Ooh I like the sound of the mini-series. Means the books won't be entirely butchered to fit into a trilogy of films.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

A friend of mine read them all and really loved them.
    He told me about the story and I got curious though I don't like Stephen King so I asked him to tell me a short version of them and it seemed quite alright - apart from the ending. Like it is the problem with basically ALL Stephen King books :-/

I'm gonna watch the trilogy if it comes out but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna read the books ... at least not beforehand as I usually do.
    My friend also told me that in order to really appreciate the books you should have read every other major Stephen King book since most of the characters appear in it and he doesn't explain everyone's story in The Dark Tower since he expects people to know them from the other books, anyway (which was somethinge else that bothered me ...)

kickarykee wrote: »
    A friend of mine read them all and really loved them.
    He told me about the story and I got curious though I don't like Stephen King so I asked him to tell me a short version of them and it seemed quite alright - apart from the ending. Like it is the problem with basically ALL Stephen King books :-/

I'm gonna watch the trilogy if it comes out but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna read the books ... at least not beforehand as I usually do.
    My friend also told me that in order to really appreciate the books you should have read every other major Stephen King book since most of the characters appear in it and he doesn't explain everyone's story in The Dark Tower since he expects people to know them from the other books, anyway (which was somethinge else that bothered me ...)

Dunno what your friend told you, but the ending is quite unlike any other king books I've read.
    If you're inclined to read them at all, the first book is very short.
    You'd be missing out to not have the main character set up the way king intended.
    As good an actor as javier is, I can't see him as roland of the books.
    Better to get a good foundation for the character from the source material in this case. IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bardem seems perfect for this imo. I don't really understand why so many people are opposed to him. I can't remember what Roland's physical description is in the book (honestly, who cares), but in terms of character I never imagined him as Eastwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

how does dark tower tie in with salems lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

The priest from salems lot turns up in book 5 i think - its been a long time since i read them - and the books are sitting on my bookshelf 10,000 miles away so i wont be reading them anytime soon :(

^
    Yer right.

You could read the entire Dark Tower cycle and have never read a King book and it would still make perfect sense.Its not that there is any major cross over.As someone that has read most of Kings stuff there are things that turn up in TDT and it always brought a smile to my face but thats just me being a bit of a nerd.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

I wouldn't for a second say that the part of Roland isn't important to the Dark Tower, but it's even more important to remember that he's not the only part in the Dark Tower series. I would say that their casting choices for Eddie, Suzanna, Jake and Fr Callahan(I think Clint Eastwood!!!) are going to make or break this thing. So I'd be keeping an eye out for who they cast for Eddie and the gang over the next few months.

I do have to say that Bardem is a solid choice for Roland though. I'm yet to see him in anything good outside of No Country For Old Men and Biutiful, so this should be interesting.

Also, just to mention in, I think Benecio Del Toro would make a great Randal Flagg.

Just looking on IMDB there,some other cast members have been announced too.

Norman Reedus (Boondock Saints,Cigarette Burns) as Eddie Dean.I really like this casting and am glad that it wasnt given to a pretty boy.

Michael Biehn (Reece in The Terminator) as the man in black.Interesting choice and I think a good one.

Nick Mancuso as Enrico Balazar.Relatively small part in the series but Mancuso is a competent actor.Liking these choices thus far.

Source

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sounds bogus to me. Anyone can edit IMDB. People make up sh*t on it all the time. I'd take anything you read on there with a punch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Michael Biehn (Reece in The Terminator) as the man in black.Interesting choice and I think a good one.

Source

Johnny Ringo a la Tombstone?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muireann50

Some possible bad news from Variety

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118036473

Universal's "Dark Tower" movie trilogy and interlocking TV series, seen as a hugely ambitious project from the start, may wind up being too big for the studio's appetite.

Sources tell Variety that in the past few days, the project, based on Stephen King's sweeping seven-book-and-counting series, has run into budgetary complications that have caused Universal execs to rethink original plans. Insiders expect U brass to meet in coming days to decide whether to put the project into turnaround, whereby producer Imagine Entertainment could shop it to another studio, either to partner with Universal or take over entirely.
    To be clear: Sources tell Variety that as of Thursday, Universal is moving ahead as if the project is going forward. The studio had no comment.
    Ron Howard unveiled plans in September to adapt "The Dark Tower" for three films -- at least the first of which he plans to direct -- bridged by a pair of TV series. Universal soon came on as a distributor, given Imagine's production deal with the studio; NBC (or an affiliated cable net) was expected carry the TV component.
    Javier Bardem's deal to play the lead role of Roland Deschain is nearly closed, while Howard is still eyeing thesps for other roles. Howard and Brian Grazer are producing through Imagine, while Akiva Goldsman is set to write the script.
    With a project of this size and scope, it wouldn't be unusual for any studio to weigh its risk-sharing options -- or pulling out -- at this stage of development. And "Dark Tower" isn't the only major project that Universal has recently reconsidered. "At the Mountains of Madness," which had Guillermo del Toro set to direct and Tom Cruise circling to star, was scrapped on the brink of lensing after U calculated that it would struggle to make money with its $150 million budget and R rating.
    That project went into hibernation in March, not long after the newly minted NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke was in Universal City for meetings with NBC and Universal Pictures brass.
    King's "Dark Tower" epic has been long pursued for screen adaptation, but the series' length and scope -- rooted in a post-Apocalyptic realm resembling the Old West as well a parallel modern-day world -- has been a tough nut to crack for scripting and production planning. Before Imagine announced its adaptation plans, J.J. Abrams and "Lost" co-creator exec producer Damon Lindelof had optioned rights from King for $19 (a key number in the "Tower" universe). But they weren't able to find a take on the material that satisfied their ambitions. Nonetheless, the Imagine team and U felt confident they had a workable vision. In announcing their plans for "Dark Tower," companies set a May 17, 2013 target date for release of the first film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

was just listening to muse and thinking , these guys could be a great addition for a musical score , they can do epic yet modern , and have a fondness for westerns as some of their music is inspired from the classic western scores .

Advertisement