Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should RTÉ Drop the DOGs?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭sergeant121

What's RTE then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The TV3 DOG is far less annoying... particuarly as it's on the bottom right of the screen rather than the top left.

Yes I think TV3 have it in the right place
    But it's also much more subtle...

However I think it is just as big as RTÉs DOGs IMO.
    Do RTE put up RTE ONE / TWO during programming in Irish ?

Yes they do.

There DOGs do change during the NEWS and sometimes they have RTÉ Sport on the screen during live matches.

The RTÉ ONE DOG does not suit Prime Time or Q&A.

TV3 remove theirs during the news and sport.

TG4 leave there tiny unremarkable dog on screen during all of their programming.

I think all DOGs should go. MTVs get worse by they week.

Some of RTÉ home grown shows don't show them as mentioned before but I think they are introducing them on most of their shows now.

Sometimes RTÉ dogs take over the faces of peole on the screen I noticed once during an episode of The Practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Elmo wrote:
    However I think it is just as big as RTÉs DOGs IMO.

Not really, the RTÉ one takes up too much horizontal space the TV3 one is square at least.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What's RTE then?
    www.rte.ie for those incapable of using google

DOGS are fine on channels you never watch like QVC mainly so you can avoid them. Otherwise they are an irritant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Give them a few years and the TV picture will be a small postage stamp sized square sorrounded by tickers, ads, pop ups, banners and other pointless information.

Everytime you change channel you'll be treated to a web-like attack of the pop ups!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Can these people be seriously suggesting that they object to the tiny little symbol on the top left of the screen that tells you which channel you have tuned into???? I find them very helpful on any channel especially if I am trying to find the correct channel to video a programme from. Maybe everyone else carefully tunes in and re-sorts, in the preferred order, the various channels that can be received but for me life is too short to go to all the trouble of fully tuning and relocating all the channels every time I get a new video or television so the station logos are helpful if I am not sure which channel I have scanned to. Wheres the harm in the tiny little station name or logo? Its like saying newsagents should cut off the top of the Irish Times or what ever paper you might be reading because you know what paper it is anyway.
    Leave these bugs alone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

fair enough but whats the point in having them on a digital service that provides an EPG which will tell you what channel you are on. RTÉ can very simply remove these things from digital but keep them on analogue if they wish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Well, if you buy the Irish Times, the masthead only appears on the top of page 1, and nowhere else. :)

As for tuning in a TV, when you only have 8 analogue channels to choose from, its not that hard. Plus once you have tuned in the TV, you are familar with your channel line up on your TV. Its very simple... Button 1 is RTÉ 1 (or BBC 1, your preference!)

In a Digital environment, we have the "search and scan" banners once we select a channel number, that display the channel name and number, and can be recalled at the touch of a button, which can be flicked off very quickly.

Ernest wrote:
    Can these people be seriously suggesting that they object to the tiny little symbol on the top left of the screen that tells you which channel you have tuned into???? I find them very helpful on any channel especially if I am trying to find the correct channel to video a programme from. Maybe everyone else carefully tunes in and re-sorts, in the preferred order, the various channels that can be received but for me life is too short to go to all the trouble of fully tuning and relocating all the channels every time I get a new video or television so the station logos are helpful if I am not sure which channel I have scanned to. Wheres the harm in the tiny little station name or logo? Its like saying newsagents should cut off the top of the Irish Times or what ever paper you might be reading because you know what paper it is anyway.
    Leave these bugs alone!!

A more fair comparason would be placing the irish times logo over the text of a news story, wouldn't that be annoying? Just like DOG's are on a TV picture. 85% of people that have voted in this thread seems to want them gone, and if you can't find out what channels you're watching either by exclusive programming or one button on your remote control, you're watching analogue, even then there's teletext. The biggest problem with the RTÉ DOG's is that they're not a tiny symbol in the corner of the screen, they're huge and far to central on the picture.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mossy Monk wrote:
    RTÉ can very simply remove these things from digital but keep them on analogue if they wish
    Most people only have 4 analogue channels so they would only be needed for people who are worse at counting than pigeons. Even on satellite you can only see RTE ONE on 101 and RTE TWO on 102 , people who have problems with that concept really have bigger problems than needing DOG's - I'll say it again press the teletext button it will tell you what channel you are on. If using SKY then you can't even change channels without being told what channel you are on.

I use DOGs as a way of telling the quality of a channel. The better channels have no DOGs. It might help with brand recognition, but IMHO hurts the brand quality.

Off Topic link to Memorising stuff
    http://www.well.com/user/smalin/miller.html "magic number seven" or "seven plus or minus two"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 wheresmejumper

I think RTE will try to use the introduction of RTE on NI Sky subs to justify their presence. This will then be the only platform (I suppose) with RTE not on locations 1+2. Not defending them - but that's the argument we'll hear.

It is worth mailing them - they do read the mail and will eventually reply.

I think RTE will try to use the introduction of RTE on NI Sky subs to justify their presence. This will then be the only platform (I suppose) with RTE not on locations 1+2. Not defending them - but that's the argument we'll hear.

It is worth mailing them - they do read the mail and will eventually reply.

I emailed info@rte, 6 months ago, if I were holding my breath for a reply, I'd be long dead, however I used a different email and got good/fast responces, on the subject to DOG's all I ever got was my comments were passed on to the relevent department, but heard no further, so I assumed the comment got no further. :mad:

There isnt much point in having them on analogue either.

1. TG4 and TV3 both have DOGS
    2. Can you be that confussed between 4 stations?

Elmo wrote:
    There isnt much point in having them on analogue either.

1. TG4 and TV3 both have DOGS
    2. Can you be that confussed between 4 stations?

That's it, the quality of unique Irish programming should be their DOG's, besides on analogue, push teletext, and it will say it the top either aertel 1 or 2. I have a funny feeling that RTÉ's DOG's are there because everyone else has one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i just got sky installed this week
    the dogs never really bothered me that much but now with sky and a widescreen telly they are practically in the middle of the screen
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

What a bunch of whingers yea all are!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭swoofer

dano, next time u watch a movie on rte and find your eyes drawn to a dirty big dog RTE ONE and then watch a dvd, the difference is breathtaking, i watch very little on rte but when i do i can hide the dog so not too bothered. its the dumbing down of broadcasting that people object to and I suppose if we all keep moaning about the DOGS and not the rubbish programmes the RTE will have achieved their goal.

gb--

ps of course if you dont notice the dog in the 1st place then you are truly blessed.

I sent RTÉ an email about the logos explaining, how annoying they were and how to improve them, I received a very courteous and fast reply, good job there RTÉ.

The highlights:

It's been a while since we received any complaint with
    regards to on-screen logos into the RTÉ Information
    Office, but I will forward your e-mail to the Head of
    Marketing, RTÉ and to the Head of RTÉ Policy for their
    information and consideration.

However, there are no immediate plans at this
    time to change the current policy in regard to on-
    screen logos but your views will be logged and
    circulated generally to senior management also.

So the message here is, if the logos annoy you, tell them about it. I emailed another department before, but never the main address info@rte.ie

Well I emailed Both Cathal Goan (DG) and Noel Curren (Head Of TV) with a link to this page.

I think that that is the way to go.

Sound. :)

• Advertisement

hopefully this way RTÉ you might see that the majority of viewers dont want those blasted things on our screens

RTÉ is hardly ever watched in my house since those dogs were created :mad:

Earthman wrote:
    RTÉ is hardly ever watched in my house since those dogs were created :mad:

Same here. Will they ever learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

why not take a leaf from TG4 its barely visible yet disitinctive . I agree with the dumbing down argument the current dog is like something bosco whould make

BIG mistake by the BBC THREE bods, they joked off people who complain about it as "nerds"..... and they went mental... read on....

BBC3 hounded over DOG article

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,1545720,00.html

Chris Tryhorn
    Wednesday August 10, 2005
    BBC3 has been landed in the DOGhouse after viewers complained about an article on its website that branded critics of its on-screen channel logo "geeks who should get a life".

BBC talkboards have been hosting lively debate over the piece, which follows the introduction of a new logo on Friday and a story on the channel's news bulletin.

The channel has now been forced to tone down its logo by making it less opaque, after receiving 115 complaints from viewers about the change.

The website article, entitled Beware of the Dog, poked fun at viewers who object to digital originated graphics, or DOGs, the permanent graphics identifying a channel in the top corner of the screen.

"In a world where international terrorism, indiscriminate murder and global poverty are facts of life, you might think people would have more important things to worry about than little logos in the top corner of their television screen," the article opens.

"Alas, no. Those little graphics displaying the names of all your favourite digital channels... are the cause of much consternation among certain viewers.

"Just don't call them geeks who should get a life..."

The piece has goaded the DOG-haters into a venomous response: one called it "extremely patronising and downright offensive", while another branded it "a clear breach of BBC editorial guidelines".

"How dare the BBC take an issue that some licence payers are concerned about and try to turn it into a laughing matter," wrote one viewer on a talkboard.

"How dare they assume that anyone who complained about the new BBC Three DOG is not concerned about recent events in London nor any other world issues.

"The BBC will be lucky if they have not insulted someone who has recently lost a friend, relative or neighbour in the London attacks. They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves and apologise to everyone for airing such degrading opinions."

Another wrote: "The article is a clear breach of BBC editorial guidelines, being insulting and biased.

"To attack licence fee payers as 'geeks' and to connect this issue in anyway with 'international terrorism, indiscriminate murder and global poverty' is puerile.

"This 'report' ought to be removed without any delay and an apology posted in its place. Utterly disgusting."

A BBC3 spokesman confirmed the website article had been written by a BBC employee and said it was "in keeping with the programme and in keeping with the channel".

"It had an irreverent tone but it wasn't mocking people who complained."

He said DOGs were necessary to give viewers a clear indication of what channel they were watching.

"In a multichannel world it's incredibly important that viewers, as they are navigating channels, know when they are coming across a BBC service."

and more....

BBC3 backs down over 'geeks' jibe

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,1546409,00.html

Chris Tryhorn
    Wednesday August 10, 2005
    BBC3 has apologised to viewers for an article that branded critics of its on-screen channel logo "geeks who should get a life".

The offending article, which generated a storm of protest, was first toned down and has now been taken off the channel's site.

A spokesman for BBC3 said that the news feature on DOGs (digital originated graphics * see note) - described by one viewer as "extremely patronising and downright offensive" - had struck the wrong note.

"Like its on-air counterpart, the BBC3 news website takes an irreverent look at the stories making the headlines," the spokesman said.

"The story on DOGs was intended to be light-hearted and to encourage discussion on the important issue of on-screen graphics.

"On reflection, we feel that we did not quite achieve the right tone and apologise for the offence this has caused some of our users. For this reason we have decided to remove the story in its entirety from the website."

Before BBC3 decided to remove the DOGs article, it was amended for the site's archive by taking out some of its more inflammatory phrases.

The original article began: "In a world where international terrorism, indiscriminate murder and global poverty are facts of life, you might think people would have more important things to worry about than little logos in the top corner of their television screen.

"Alas, no. Those little graphics displaying the names of all your favourite digital channels... are the cause of much consternation among certain viewers.

"Just don't call them geeks who should get a life..."

The revised version opened in milder fashion: "As everyone knows, dogs come in all shapes and sizes. But we're not talking about the kind that go 'woof' a lot..."

In another concession to viewers today, BBC3 said it would change the size of its DOG.

It has already softened the logo since introducing a new design on Friday, and from tonight is making it smaller.

* There is no clear consensus as to what the O in DOG stands for: it is variously rendered as digital originated graphics and digital on-screen graphics.

Say what you want about RTÉ and quite a lot could be said, they are more professional than the BBC. I emailed them about the DOG, a suggestion for DOG makers to watch TG4 for two weeks, they responded very nicely, BTW the 16:9 DOG on 4:3 programmes is soon to be fixed and a 'change' will occur, make them smaller perhaps??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭kkennedy

Has anyone got a DOG burnt in on their Plasma or RP Television? I have seen in several TV Sales shops Plasmas with the sky news logo burnt in. Surely this is a major reason whythe DOGs should be dropped.

coloured dogs should definately be gotten rid off. see through ones like whats seen on the networks in america would be burn free i'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Some of you guys must be blind or something - the RTE DOGs are transparent! Not by much, but they are by no means fully opaque. I don't particularly like them either - as others said they're too low down and too big (I think they're overcompensating a bit too much for the few people who have ancient/really crap TV sets that overscan like hell), and I don't think they're necessary on digital TV either, though I don't *really* mind them on analogue TV.

On the other hand, I personally don't like the TG4 DOG - it's barely visible most the time, and it goes off the corner on some TVs - it's just annoying trying to look for it at times. They should either have a proper DOG or nothing at all - not this half-arsed half-way thing they have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭swoofer

oops

Advertisement