Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric tractor

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Suckler wrote: »

It's basically a bigger version of a seawater cokecan powerplant.

Ion exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

https://youtu.be/hMOkFqN1tC8
    JD did their sums and figured that it was pointless looking at batteries due to the weight required for a full days use so they developed the above.
    It would have its uses but the risk of cutting the cable would turn a few ppl off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The problem with batteries is the need for lithium. Batteries are really only a short term solution until something environmentally more clean comes along. Yes, it may be better than an ICE, but it is not a long term solution.

I've always hoped that synfuel would get a push and if so, then curent vehicles would remain operable. That would have a significant saving on energy usage if these did not need to be replaced by electric equivalents.
    However, time is running out for them to get to market before governments make their strategies into policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The problem with batteries is the need for lithium. Batteries are really only a short term solution until something environmentally more clean comes along. Yes, it may be better than an ICE, but it is not a long term solution.

I've always hoped that synfuel would get a push and if so, then curent vehicles would remain operable. That would have a significant saving on energy usage if these did not need to be replaced by electric equivalents.
    However, time is running out for them to get to market before governments make their strategies into policies.

Common sense rarely makes it into government policy you just have to look at the space shuttle for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting thread, the density of present batteries is one key limitation. A lot of research is ongoing. Syntethic diesel can be made but it would be much more expensive.
    Volvo did a prototype of a loader. It worked well and actually did the work of the next one up in their model range. It did 4 hours continuous work. I think it probably lot a good while to recharge. John Deere also have done prototypes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Water John wrote: »
    Interesting thread, the density of present batteries is one key limitation. A lot of research is ongoing. Syntethic diesel can be made but it would be much more expensive.
    Volvo did a prototype of a loader. It worked well and actually did the work of the next one up in their model range. It did 4 hours continuous work. I think it probably lot a good while to recharge. John Deere also have done prototypes.

What I would love is the electric/hybrid job.
    An engine generator drives 4 in wheel electric motors .
    Elec motors are 10 times more reliable and less costly to service.
    No complicated gearboxes.no clutch.no diff locks.
    PTO is also a seperate motor and implements run electrically.
    Do away with backend oil and oil pipes fullstop.
    Steyr produced one recently but it's still very much in its infancy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

ganmo wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/hMOkFqN1tC8
    JD did their sums and figured that it was pointless looking at batteries due to the weight required for a full days use so they developed the above.
    It would have its uses but the risk of cutting the cable would turn a few ppl off

Now we're talkin!
    Obviously that cable tractor has many limitations but it's way more commercially feasible than a battery powered tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭emaherx

I could see a market for tractors capable of running continuously for 5 hours on batteries especially if power is being generated on the farm. Would be well capabale of most tasks on the majority of farms and run times will improve in time.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/fully-electric-swiss-tractor-is-now-a-reality/

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/100-electric-tractor-from-fendt-runs-for-5-continuous-hours/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We have had 48v battery forklift trucks around for a long time. We really love our battery impact drills, just swapping when the battery's empty. We're not far away.

Advertisement