Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Forbidden West (Horizon Zero Dawn Sequel) PS5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,935 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

some people wanted it to allow climbing anywhere like Breath of the Wild. Doesn't look like that's happening. Though we are getting a glider.

The hack for the mount was pretty fast, wonder if it'll be as fast in the game. Wasn't that fast in the first one.

I only watched parts as will be getting it anyway. So didn't watch the big fight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks gorgeous but it's also more of the same. Same dodgy dialogue. Aloy talking to herself. Not a whole lot in the way of innovation. But I guess people are happy with more Horizon. The attention to detail in the environment is in credible however.

Also is that a skin hair shader on Aloys face or just glitchy anti aliasing? if it's the former it's actually quite impressive.

Some things I noticed, the player was always looking down when approaching new areas, they were obviously hiding LOD popping which you can still make out. Also the much touted SSD loading didn't stop there being detail pop in on aloy after cutscenes and some N64 textures on the map at the end until they loaded in. I'd still think these are bugs that will be ironed out. DF analysis will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

That looked unreal. I watched in 4K on an OLED TV and it looked like 60FPS to me, was it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

mutley18 wrote: »
    That looked unreal. I watched in 4K on an OLED TV and it looked like 60FPS to me, was it not?

It should be, especially if its first party

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The YouTube video isn't 60 FPS anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I didnt think it looked that good graphics wise, happy enough with more of the same gameplay tho.

I'm not a massive fan of the grappling, but thats just me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I see that it goes for the everything climbable is yellow trope. However it's highlighted with that detective vision type thing so I'll give them credit there instead of it looking hideously out of place like in other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I didnt think it looked that good graphics wise, happy enough with more of the same gameplay tho.

I made the mistake of watching the Angry Joe stream of the event, and he went full on fanboi over the graphics and combat mechanics, which just didn't look that much better than the PC version of the first game so glad it's not just me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I didn’t particularly like Horizon: it’s an alright open world game that was completely outdone by BotW which released around the same time. But it’s a great looking game, and certainly think this looks a step forward again. Those colours will pop like crazy in HDR and high resolutions. If it runs at 60 FPS better again.

I’ve said it before, but we’re definitely at the point of gradual steps forward graphically rather than leaps and bounds. Video games have looked great for bloody ages now, and really at this stage the benefits of extra processing power are IMO better spent on performance (although things like textures are generally a big step up in the PS5 games I’ve played so far). Cutting edge graphics like ray tracing are actually pretty subtle rather than something that wallops you in the face with ‘GRAPHICS, BABY!’ (based on my time with Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition on PC so far, the best example yet of the tech). Games look better and better all the time, but unless something changes dramatically we’re probably not getting generational leaps of the sort we saw in early 3D graphics days. Although I’m sure we’ll get the occasional MS Flight Simulator to melt graphics cards every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Venom wrote: »
    I made the mistake of watching the Angry Joe stream of the event, and he went full on fanboi over the graphics and combat mechanics, which just didn't look that much better than the PC version of the first game so glad it's not just me.

Original looks amazing on PC would say even better than 2 but that after like 5 patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I didn’t particularly like Horizon: it’s an alright open world game that was completely outdone by BotW which released around the same time. But it’s a great looking game, and certainly think this looks a step forward again. Those colours will pop like crazy in HDR and high resolutions. If it runs at 60 FPS better again.

I’ve said it before, but we’re definitely at the point of gradual steps forward graphically rather than leaps and bounds. Video games have looked great for bloody ages now, and really at this stage the benefits of extra processing power are IMO better spent on performance (although things like textures are generally a big step up in the PS5 games I’ve played so far). Cutting edge graphics like ray tracing are actually pretty subtle rather than something that wallops you in the face with ‘GRAPHICS, BABY!’ (based on my time with Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition on PC so far, the best example yet of the tech). Games look better and better all the time, but unless something changes dramatically we’re probably not getting generational leaps of the sort we saw in early 3D graphics days. Although I’m sure we’ll get the occasional MS Flight Simulator to melt graphics cards every so often.

Agree with that. I mean this is on an ancient base PS4...

FzRQmpn.jpg

That still look astonishing to me. I remember taking that in photo mode and studying what Aloy was looking at to see if the reflection in her eyes matched up and they did. Obviously it's not real time and a enemy or person isn't going to pass across her eyeball but it's still an amazing trick.

And evaporating puddles of water...

https://old.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/nih46d/the_detail_of_a_puddle_of_water_evaporating_in/

It's gonna be babysteps of improvement at this point.

People always say that graphical improvements these days are small but I can barely stand to play any 3D from my XBox 360 now. It's one of those things where you don't realise the improvements until you go back.

One of the truest things I've ever heard is that the worst graphics are the graphics from the previous generation.

That gen had some serious issues with framerates though. Not all games but most big multiplats run like ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Latest gameplay vid... God damn those are some amazing graphics. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Latest gameplay vid... God damn those are some amazing graphics. :o

If only for this game alone, Im getting a new TV and PS5 haha

Glad to hear about better melee. It was very barebones in the first game with a wack-wack-WACK combo being all you had.

PS5 is getting a 60FPS performance mode, so looks like quality 4k will be 30 FPS

J. Marston has delayed his purchase of a Playstation 5 to the first quarter of 2022. The latest in a series of delays due to there being fúck all to play on the console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

So .... summer 2022 because we all know some time around late February/early March they'll need a few extra weeks for some polishing to give players the experience they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The cross-gen Digital Deluxe Edition is exclusively available on PlayStation Store, in addition to Horizon Forbidden West, you’ll receive the following content:

• Horizon Forbidden West (Digital) PS4 and PS5 versions
    • 2 Special Outfits (Carja Behemoth Elite and Nora Thunder Elite)
    • 2 Special Weapons (Carja Behemoth Short Bow and Nora Thunder Sling)
    • In-game Resources Pack including ammunition, potions, and travel packs
    • In-game Apex Clawstrider Machine Strike Piece (more on Strike in the FAQ)
    • Exclusive Photo Mode pose and face paint
    • Digital Art Book
    • Digital Soundtrack
    • Digital Version of The Sunhawk, the first Horizon Zero Dawn graphic novel

Next up is the Special Edition, a gorgeous SteelBook with a physical disc copy for either PS4 or PS5, which also features the digital soundtrack (via voucher), as well as a mini art book.

Meet the Collector’s Edition! Packed to the brim with special goodies, this one is a real must-have. Aside from a digital copy of the game (entitling you to both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions), you’ll find the following:

• Horizon Forbidden West SteelBook Display Case
      • Download code for the game will be supplied via voucher in the box.
    • A custom sculpted Tremortusk and Aloy statue
      • Statues will require some assembly; detailed instructions will be provided with the box!
    • Mini Art Book
    • In-game Apex Clawstrider Machine Strike Piece
    • Exclusive Photo Mode pose and face paint
    • Digital Soundtrack

Last but by no means least, we have the Regalla Edition! A more menacing take on the Collector’s Edition, this contains the following items:

• Horizon Forbidden West SteelBook Display Case
      • Download code for the game will be supplied via voucher in the box.
    • A Regalla-themed, custom sculpted Tremortusk and Aloy statue
      • Statues will require some assembly; detailed instructions will be provided with the box!
    • Replica Focus and custom stand
    • 2 Art Print Cards
    • Replica Sunwing and Clawstrider Machine Physical Strike Pieces
    • Mini Art Book
    • Canvas Map
    • In-game Apex Clawstrider Machine Strike Piece
    • Exclusive Photo Mode poses and face paints
    • Digital Soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

The Regalla edition looks shiny, but it's price... - available to preorder at Gamestop for €269.99

https://www.gamestop.ie/PlayStation%205/Games/77244/horizon-forbidden-west-regalla-edition

You'll have to pay to upgrade from the PS4 to PS5 version of the game.

On a Sony console you pay to upgrade the game to the next gen version.

On XBox you get it free.

On PC you change the graphics settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,831 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Advertisement