Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who exactly is a single parent?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

nthclare wrote: »
    I find that so sad, some women are ruthless when trying to get the family home.
    I know of a place in Clare they call it heartbreak hotel.
    All single separated men thrown out of the family home which they're still paying for and paying the rent for heartbreak hotel too.

Should've bloody well behaved themselves maybe.

It takes a heck of a lot to piss a woman off enough to kick someone out. Maybe they were oblivious to whatever that was, while they lay on the couch watching Liverpool, but they definitely missed something. Lower tolerance for it nowadays. Before you could beat someone half to death and be a layabout and still not get chucked. Progress eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

A parent with at least 1 child , who is single, who lives with the child.
    eg not married, not living with a boyfriend,or girlfriend.
    Usually a woman.
    this person could be divorced .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Rufeo wrote: »
    I suppose someone who's on their own raising a child with no support.from a partner?

thats what you'd think, all right. In some cases though they'd be raising a child with support from both a former partner and a current partner (on the scene, at least), and still be a 'single' parent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I'm come across references in the media to divorced parents - especially mothers - as 'single parents'.

Obviously, these women are not with the fathers of their children anymore.

But there's no reference to any cases in which the fathers are not involved in bringing-up the children anymore and so it's obvious that the term 'single parent' is being used to describe all divorced mothers - even in cases where the ex-husbands are still involved in bringing-up the children.

Therefore, isn't the use of the term 'single parent' in that specific context misleading?

I don't assume a single parent is a LONE parent.

A single parent is someone not in a relationship. The other parent might still live with them etc. Or be very involved in family life.

In fact in most cases I know the co parent has been more involved than a lot of married parents. There for all financial and caring needs.

A lone parent is someone bringing up a child alone or almost alone even with financial support. A single parent is just someone who is not in a romantic relationship.

Advertisement