Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman '89

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Yeah, I had read something about that a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be completely honest, the best ever Joker so far is Mark Hamill in the Arkham games. He absolutely captures the essence of the Joker. You can hear the madness in his voice and it puts Leto to bloody shame.

He'll always be the Joker for me, if I'm reading the comics, it's Mark's voice I imagine. And you're damn right about the Arkham games, what a downright terrific performance. This line right here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

And this coming from someone who got a cinema visit count of 60ish for the Nolan films.. It would have been interesting to see Tim Burton s third instalment but apparently it was too dark..

:eek: I presume you have an unlimited card or else an unlimited amount of money. Either way that's a lot of trips to the cinema to see the same film. I admire your commitment :D

And this coming from someone who got a cinema visit count of 60ish for the Nolan films.. It would have been interesting to see Tim Burton s third instalment but apparently it was too dark..

:eek: I presume you have an unlimited card or else an unlimited amount of money. Either way that's a lot of trips to the cinema to see the same film. I admire your commitment :D

Actually, no. It was just a crazy amount of money spent, including a trip to London to see TDKR is IMAX. I enjoyed it all. However I have ruined them and rarely wat h them anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Jesus I think I've seen Begins about 3 times, TDK about 3/4 and seen TDKR 3 times and at that I don't feel a need to go back and watch them anytime soon.

• Advertisement

Jesus I think I've seen Begins about 3 times, TDK about 3/4 and seen TDKR 3 times and at that I don't feel a need to go back and watch them anytime soon.

Yeah I know. I like seeing Bats on the big screen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The two of ye with your avatar and post counts were making me think one of you were talking to yourselves :P

Duggy747 wrote: »
    The two of ye with your avatar and post counts were making me think one of you were talking to yourselves :P

Hahaha I wouldn't put it past myself

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Real childhood relationship with this film. It was shown to me in the 90's by my Dad, after I had literally fallen in love with the animated series as a child.

I still watch it atleast twice a year. Just love it, soundtrack, the suit, Keaton, everything.

After hearing the latest game Arkham Knight was fixed for PC started it up a few weeks ago and saw I had all the DLC, playing through it using the 89 suit...absolutely in heaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Unrelated to 89 but still relating to that franchise (they're released within the same anthology so no beefs :pac:) but I was reading about the turmoil behind the scenes of the Schumacher films.

I knew about most of them such as Kilmer being difficult and TLJ and Jim Carrey having a ridiculous rivalry that ended up spilling onto the screen, but I never knew about the grief Alicia Silverstone had gotten from the media for putting on a couple of pounds during filming.

Imagine that happening to a 21 year old today? It wouldn't, because they have more subtle ways now of tearing people down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Unrelated to 89 but still relating to that franchise (they're released within the same anthology so no beefs :pac:) but I was reading about the turmoil behind the scenes of the Schumacher films.

I knew about most of them such as Kilmer being difficult and TLJ and Jim Carrey having a ridiculous rivalry that ended up spilling onto the screen, but I never knew about the grief Alicia Silverstone had gotten from the media for putting on a couple of pounds during filming.

Imagine that happening to a 21 year old today? It wouldn't, because they have more subtle ways now of tearing people down.

I don't think this has changed at all. Early media coverage of Jennifer Lawrence alternated between criticising her for being too fat for The Hunger Games and praising her being an icon for "curvy" women. Both of which were absurd.

Once again chaps, just shows it's handier to a lad. We can be roundy or not and no one cares! Haha

Although, I guess Christian Bale got some flack for how he went up and down between roles from Batman Begins to the Machinist to The Dark Knight.. but that was just craziness on his part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Once again chaps, just shows it's handier to a lad. We can be roundy or not and no one cares! Haha

Although, I guess Christian Bale got some flack for how he went up and down between roles from Batman Begins to the Machinist to The Dark Knight.. but that was just craziness on his part.

That was people criticising him sacrificing his health though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

I still have a Batman T-shirt from that time

I don't think this has changed at all. Early media coverage of Jennifer Lawrence alternated between criticising her for being too fat for The Hunger Games and praising her being an icon for "curvy" women. Both of which were absurd.

Christ, really? I don't recall any of that. Surprising given how Lawrence was the toast of the town at the time.

I always held out hope that Burton would come back to his story much like Ridley Scott has with Alien, his vision for Gotham was gorgeous, can only imagine what he could do now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ben Gadot wrote: »

Unfortunately it's just as rife today.

Just look at females in superhero movies. Their outfits are never pratical for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

faceman wrote: »

Just look at females in superhero movies. Their outfits are never pratical for a start.

Dunno if I fully agree there. Nothing wrong with costumes for Black Widow, Scarlet Witch. Wonder Woman's, while needlessly strapless, isn't exactly oppositional to her purpose. I think gone positive steps have been made in recent ears on this front.

faceman wrote: »

Oh I'm aware apparently Michelle Pfeiffer had to be vacuumed into her costume....I don't even know what that is but it sounds painful.

Both actors and actresses within the genre seem to be under pressure to fit the mould of their comic book counterpart. I mean I actually thought Ben Affleck looked a bit ridiculous at times in BvS.

But the difference is that was probably Affleck's choice. I wouldn't be surprised if what happened with Silverstone happened now that actresses would be threatened with a breach of contract.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gadot came under a lot of unfair criticism on her physique when she was first cast for the role from what I recall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Maybe if Michael Bay was directing…

It's happened a few times with male actors actually. Peter Jackson dumped Ryan Gosling from The Lonely Bones because he gained weight. Also Bale turned up overweight for Batman Begins and was worried Nolan was going to fire him. You can see his weight fluctuate throughout the film as he tried to rapidly lose it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Bale turned up overweight for Batman Begins and was worried Nolan was going to fire him.

He'd also just come off a rapid weight gain programme off the back of the machinist. I admire the guy for the effort he put in to his roles. His constant up/down in weight must be seriously damaging his body.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭tigger123

Maybe if Michael Bay was directing…

It's happened a few times with male actors actually. Peter Jackson dumped Ryan Gosling from The Lonely Bones because he gained weight. Also Bale turned up overweight for Batman Begins and was worried Nolan was going to fire him. You can see his weight fluctuate throughout the film as he tried to rapidly lose it.

I can see Michael Cane chuckling to himself in his trailer while he eats yet another pain au chocolat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Also Bale turned up overweight for Batman Begins and was worried Nolan was going to fire him. You can see his weight fluctuate throughout the film as he tried to rapidly lose it.

My recollection is that Bale came in to audition for BB having recently done The Machinist and he was way too thin; so he went off and bulked up and within a releatively short amount of time (6 months iirc) he was 200 pounds of muscle and was too big.

Anyway, I love the two Burton Bat flicks and can still remember how awesome the opening titles were for the first one in the Adelphi with the camera following a maze and eventually pulling back to reveal it to be the Bat symbol; I must throw on the bluray over the weekend, I haven't even watched it since I bought it a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

Loved the Burton batmobile and batwing. The scene where it breaks through the clouds and hangs in front of the moon for a moment before it goes to work is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I loved both of them. They were very much part of my youth. I don't think they aged badly at all when you take Tim Burton's style into account, everything has that slightly toyish disconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

.ak wrote: »
    I loved both of them. They were very much part of my youth. I don't think they aged badly at all when you take Tim Burton's style into account, everything has that slightly toyish disconnect.

Agreed. Hard to place a time on Burtons Batman. The police uniforms, cars and equipment (revolvers etc) look either 50's or 70's.

Don't think its aged badly at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

It is hard to believe that Batman starring Michael Keaton, Kim Basinger and Jack Nicholson came out exactly 30 years ago. I remember going to it as if it was yesterday and I ask where have 30 years gone? I remember being excited going to it and the queues outside the cinema were like nothing I have seen before or since. I remember enjoying it so much (watched with my dad) and being excited coming home and then telling my mam all about it when I got home.

1989 was a great year for films with acclaimed classics like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and underrated classics like The Handmaid's Tale and ahead of its time Bond film Licence to Kill. But Batman OWNED 1989!! And when I look back on that year to this day, one word comes into my mind: Batman.

The film also of course changed the concept of Batman too. Before this film, Batman was associated with the 1960s TV series. The film ditched that show's look and feel completely and brought in a much more dystopian Gotham which echoed films like the Mad Max series and Blade Runner. Bond and Indiana Jones influenced action also was brought in and a new and interesting backstory for the Joker. This film was truly great and a gamechanger in many many ways.

Ever since 1989, Batman has been a fixture on the big screen and most of the films have been excellent. Batman Returns from 1992 was another Tim Burton masterpiece. And The Dark Knight from 2008 is arguably the best of all and often cited as the greatest action film ever made along with Raiders of the Lost Ark and Mad Max 2. There were some misses in the Batman films too like Batman & Robin from 1997.

Superhero movies back in the time of 1989 were rare. Really, only Superman and made for TV films. Batman changed that and now we are swamped with or spoiled for choice with (depending on your taste!!) 1000s of superhero films with every DC and especially Marvel character brought to the big budget big screen. But a new Batman film has ALWAYS stood apart from the rest and has appeal well beyond the superhero genre.

At present, a film called The Batman is in the works and the popularity of the character remains strong. But the atmosphere of 1989 was really special and will be taking out my DVD of Batman 1989 and Batman Returns to celebrate the anniversary of this excellent film next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I saw this mentioned yesterday on Rotten Tomatoes yesterday - I was going to post it here, but it the 30 year anniversary in the States. It came out here in August. :o

Loved the movie, though. One of the first I went to see at least 3 times.

Keaton was a great Batman and Nicholson was a great Joker. I wasn't too gone on Kim Basinger though.

Danny Elfman's score still holds up too. Absolutely iconic.

Can't say the same for Prince's soundtrack though. They just shoehorned in some crappy songs throughout the running time (I like Prince, but most of the songs here were terrible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Mr E wrote: »
    I saw this mentioned yesterday on Rotten Tomatoes yesterday - I was going to post it here, but it the 30 year anniversary in the States. It came out here in August. :o

Loved the movie, though. One of the first I went to see at least 3 times.

Keaton was a great Batman and Nicholson was a great Joker. I wasn't too gone on Kim Basinger though.

Danny Elfman's score still holds up too. Absolutely iconic.

Can't say the same for Prince's soundtrack though. They just shoehorned in some crappy songs throughout the running time (I like Prince, but most of the songs here were terrible).

Around the second Friday in August IIRC it came out here and I went to see it that day. My mam and dad remember the time well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,453 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Advertisement