Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AR/tist in the spotlight - AuldManKing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

drquirky wrote: »

Who would win in a fight Ecoli or Blockic?

Have you seen what a 12 year old did to Ecoli's nose? :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

-Inisfails! --That's gas...played many a game against them in my youth. Ever play in a team with a guy called "maggot" ?(no I'm not joking!)

- iphone or Android?

- Your idea of a "boardsies foreign marathon" . Any preference on which one?

- Favourite county in Ireland (apart from Dublin)....and why?

- Potential club of choice after Manchester?

- Eamonn Coughlan or John Treacy?

- Coe, Ovett or Cram?

- Will you run for as long as you will be able? Assuming no bigger offer than €250k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Will you always do marathons or is there a point where you will just focus on shorter stuff?

Favourite time of day/ year to run?

How far in advance are you planning races/ programmes these days?

What's the next main thing after the marathon?

Will Spurs win anything worth winning in your lifetime?

What position did you play when you played GAA?

Did you ever play hurling?

Is your 5 a-side career over?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Why were you carrying a bottle of beer around the finish area of dcm13??

Sons are better than daughters. Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

These questions are from RFR's favourite Boardsie.....PConn
      [*]Favourite Irish athlete?

I like reading Dervla O'Rourkes piece in the paper recently, so shes up there. Also heard her on the radio a few times - a good head on her shoulders.

Also think we'll see more of John Coughlan, (he also lives up the road from me :) ).

[*]Favourite international athlete?

Love watching Rudeshia - a class act.

Geb - for the joy he bring to running.

Yuki Kawouchi: love reading & hearing about this guy - he's a serial marathon racer........runs even more marathons than Gary O'Hanlon :)

[*]Favourite event to watch at an athletics meet?

1500m - the right distance to be tactical and yet very fast.

[*]Least favourite session?

Mile repeats, but they are getting easier.

[*]Favourite race? (particular race, not distance)

DCM for the support and home town feel. Running DCM sections through the PP and also from Pearse St, past Trinity and onto the finish is amazing.

[*]Why marathons?

As I began running, I thought that doing the marathon was the pinnicle of running, so began my running career and training around that.

I do think that had I of known different (i.e. that other events are just as tough in different ways), I'd possibly still have went for it.

[*]Favourite piece of music?

I'm a music lover with an eclectic taste in music. Difficult to get a favourite.

Recently I'm going through a back catalouge of Irish artists that I listened to in my late teens (well done Spotify!!) - bands like Frank & Walters, 4 of us, Fat lady sings.

While I work at home I've been known to have Max Reicter playing (I think PConn would appreciate him)

In the Car - Frightened Rabbit are my current favourite (a Scottish Indie rock band).

Last concert was The National in the 02.

Favourite female singer Agnes Obel

• Advertisement

The man who puts the 'irk' in Quirky.....DrQ
        [*]Who would win in a fight Ecoli or Blockic?

Easy - Ecoli.

Can never see a Langer beating a Tallaght head. :pac:

[*]Least favorite part of the PP to run in?

Got me thinking here.
        The place I rarely run is the road that separates the Acres from the Papal Cross. For some reason I just dislike it. Maybe it is a distant memory of a rainy windy day on that exposed road.

[*]Best sun holiday destination with 2 daughters?
        For older girls - Greece.

For your younger ones - Menorca.
        Not too manic, not too warm, not too far.

[*]Most ridiculous Meno boxing opinion he has expressed to you on a long run?

I just zone out with Meno, dont think he realises.
        20 miles later he's still talking.
        He probably has the same conversation every time with me. :D

[*]Handicap 10k race boardsie race where the seeding is perfect so it really comes down to pure guts/ wanting it more( not running ability). Who wins?

What a question. Would make a great thread!!

I think KC has the gutsiest training record for pushing himself, also has the mountain experience to call on too, so I guess its him.
        You'd be a close 2nd I reckon, mainly due to some of the sessions you do and the long tempos, plus that photo of the 5k in Santry in the rain is a classic - SmMoore coming along the rails in 3rd.

The rest of us are just softies.

[*]Ireland winning the euros or Spurs winning the Champions League over Arsenal ( would actually never happen) which would make you happier?

Easy. Spurs winning the CL or PL or FAC.
        It'll be a while before I have any 'love' for the national team again. Currently hate watching them and wouldn't go see them.
        I've turned down box seats in the Aviva!!

Actually, I went to a friendly in Croke Park a fw year back, - was in a corporate box - Ire were playing Germany I think and it was so dull, that everyone in the box went inside and watched the England game on the tele instead. :eek:

[*]What is the dumbest training session you've ever done?

RK has a few!

This one.

As it was a few days after Athlone HM and I think went some way to pushing me over the edge.

Which led to about 20 posts of comment :pac:

TRR didn't respond on the log, but did send me an email telling me in no uncertain terms what he though of me :)

Or this thread (starting at post 531 and lasting about 4 pages later of analysis)

The good auld days of a week in the life of RunningKing.

:pac:

digger2d2 wrote: »
        Have you seen what a 12 year old did to Ecoli's nose? :D;)

Is this a q for me?

No

:D

the 1st Boardsie I ever met- RedRunner

- Ever play in a team with a guy called "maggot" ?(no I'm not joking!)
        Too long ago - cant recall the name in inisfails, but plenty of them around Ballymun along with Rashers and Whackers.

- iphone or Android?

Was always iPhone, experimented with Samsung, but went back to iPhone. Now with HTC One - a fantastic phone. Never going back to iPhone. (he says typing this on an iPad)

Edinburgh would be good crack!!

- Favourite county in Ireland (apart from Dublin)....and why?

Clare/Mayo area - beautiful scenery plenty to do. Great food too!

- Potential club of choice after Manchester?

think it has to be MSB - my local club.
        Cleanman may try to pursuade me to join Donore.

- Eamonn Coughlan or John Treacy?

Coughlan. He's a local man and I often see him running around the local park in Porterstown. He's also chairperson of MSB.

- Coe, Ovett or Cram?

Always liked Coe, never really knew anything about the feud between him and the others. Just liked his style.

In later years, I like listening to Steve Cram - seems like a good guy and a bit of fun.

- Will you run for as long as you will be able? Assuming no bigger offer than €250k?
        oh yes - Ed Whitlock better look out.

Why were you carrying a bottle of beer around the finish area of dcm13??

on instruction from the coach who wanted to swig a beer as he crossed the line in 2:3x.
        I was strategically placed about 3-400 meters from the finish.

He didn't get his time and didn't look happy as he passed me, so I didn't give it to him!!

Sons are better than daughters. Discuss.

Sons wreck your house.
        Daughters wreck your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hey AMK
        Nice getting to know a bit more about you:)

Do you ever feel guilty when you're on a long run that you should be spending that time with your family?
        Are your family supportive of your running?
        You seem to be an extremely extroverted person/runner. Do you find running on your own difficult or do you enjoy it?
        What age do you think you'll continue running until?
        If you don't hit your marathon target for any reason how do you think you'll deal with that?
        What's your favourite red wine?

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

[*]Will you run the next beer mile?

This is an interesting question.

2 thoughts:

(1) Last beer mile the taxi home cost me €60 - I wont be repeating this.

(2) With the recent nek-nomination stuff going on, it got me thinking of how different/similar a beer mile is to this stuff.
        Not too sure I want my kids knowing I'm doing it with all this stuff going on with social media.

That said, I really enjoyed it last year - was a great social event.

Have really enjoyed your answers on this thread, AMK. This particular post really stood out and got me thinking, and it is a very interesting point re the beer mile vis-a-vis neknomination. I'm not saying (and neither are you I think) that I'm against beer-miling, but the margin between the two isnt all that much really I suppose and is worth considering carefully.

Thanks for the questions TJ
          [*]Will you always do marathons or is there a point where you will just focus on shorter stuff?
          Marathons will always be on the cards. But in '15 I'll focus a good bit of time on shorter stuff.

[*]Favourite time of day/ year to run?

Afternoon/early evening. Dont like it too early or too late.

I found last summer too hot (cant believe I just said that) - so I guess Spring/Autumn.
          But I must say, this winter has been my longest spell of consistent 'good' running, so as with all my answers theres many answers!!

[*]How far in advance are you planning races/ programmes these days?

Haven't thought of anything post Manchester. Dont even know what my focus will be for May?

[*]What's the next main thing after the marathon?
          As above, not too sure just yet.
          Maybe a half marathon to set some things right.

[*]Will Spurs win anything worth winning in your lifetime?
          They've won my affections, isn't that enough? :)

I do think we'll come good in a cup, but I think they are a club ripe for investment.
          Profitable with a good fanbase and a 20,000 waiting list for season tickets.
          The new stadium will bring us along nicely and I can see us being competitive with City etc in 3-4 years time.

[*]What position did you play when you played GAA?

Midfield. loved it. Was a better soccer player though, but played Center Half for Tolka Rovers.

[*]Did you ever play hurling?
          Never even tried it. My daughter plays Camoige - such a tough game.

[*]Is your 5 a-side career over?
          oohhhhh

think I'll play the odd game every now & then to keep in with the lads, more so for the pub outings!

Great set of questions Ososlo.......thought provoking.
            [*]Do you ever feel guilty when you're on a long run that you should be spending that time with your family?

On a long run, No.
            My family are late risers at the weekend, so I'm typically coming home when they are getting up!
            But I do feel guilty running 60+ miles a week and the impact that has on doing things around the house, being there, getting housey things done etc.

So I run when I can during the day, when I'm meant to be in work. It removes some of the guilt.

I also do a lot of the cooking - I always cooked at the weekend, but have started to cook during the week as well - again to help with any lingering guilt.

[*]Are your family supportive of your running?
            hhmmmm

Supportive? yes.
            Interested? No :)

Along with your last Q, it does get difficult when there's events on and I dont go due to a race.
            My younger daughter won a lot of medals/trophies at an Irish Dancing event recently, but I missed it due to racing in Dungarvan.
            Thats the tough balance.

I try to balance it out in other ways with them and their GAA games or other stuff that parents do (like be a permanent taxi).

[*]You seem to be an extremely extroverted person/runner. Do you find running on your own difficult or do you enjoy it?

From your posts, I'd class you as extroverted, but I'd say you're not??
            I think I'd be similar.
            I like a laugh and try to entertain in some posts, but dont think people would class me as extroverted in 'real life' (says the man who wore a nuns outfit with wrap around shades in the rain on a beer mile)

But to answer your question, no, I dont mind running on my own - I've even been known to laugh at my own jokes. :p
            Joining a club will be interesting, having company for the harder sessions.

[*]What age do you think you'll continue running until?
            cant see myself stopping.
            Theres a guy who is always 'running' in the PP - he must be 80 and running at about 20 min/miles - but he's out there in his gear every week, doing his session. Thats me in 40 yrs.

[*]If you don't hit your marathon target for any reason how do you think you'll deal with that?

think I'll be fairly ok with it - whatever happens, I know I've trained hard and will get what I deserve. Theres always other marathons.

I think my family wont deal with the fact that I'll be increasing my mileage for DCM!

[*]What's your favourite red wine?
            I like them like my ladies - full bodied with nice legs and a complex aroma.........;)

Used to be Shiraz, now its Bordeaux but am also quite partial to a nice Malbec.

its been a pleasurable evening, answering some of these questions and watching Arsenal getting beaten at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Theres a guy who is always 'running' in the PP - he must be 80 and running at about 20 min/miles - but he's out there in his gear every week, doin his sessionT]
            Thats more than likely um1 senior,

Wats the 1 session....dat you know if u hit the numbers on Ur on form for ur marathon time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Killerz wrote: »
            Have really enjoyed your answers on this thread, AMK. This particular post really stood out and got me thinking, and it is a very interesting point re the beer mile vis-a-vis neknomination. I'm not saying (and neither are you I think) that I'm against beer-miling, but the margin between the two isnt all that much really I suppose and is worth considering carefully.

The beermile will be happening again- to avoid hijacking AMK's thread I'll start a beer mile one in the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

But I do feel guilty running 60+ miles a week and the impact that has on doing things around the house, being there, getting housey things done etc.

Just give 'em loads of cash to relieve the guilt:D

From your posts, I'd class you as extroverted, but I'd say you're not??
            I think I'd be similar.
            I've met ya and would say you are most definitely an extrovert;)
            Me? not a chance.

Theres a guy who is always 'running' in the PP - he must be 80 and running at about 20 min/miles - but he's out there in his gear every week, doing his session. Thats me in 40 yrs.
            That guy is my hero!

I think my family wont deal with the fact that I'll be increasing my mileage for DCM!
            You're doing DCM! Super:D

I like them like my ladies - full bodied with nice legs and a complex aroma.........;)
            lol great answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

drquirky wrote: »
            The beermile will be happening again- to avoid hijacking AMK's thread I'll start a beer mile one in the next few days.

Hijack away. I am doubting my support for Amk after his arsenal-bashing..... Bring on the beer mile!

Killerz wrote: »
            Hijack away. I am doubting my support for Amk after his arsenal-bashing..... Bring on the beer mile!

Jaysus, not another one?

That's Quirky, Blockic, Belcarra and Killerz.......

ultraman1 wrote: »
            Thats more than likely um1 senior,

Wats the 1 session....dat you know if u hit the numbers on Ur on form for ur marathon time?

Great to hear your dad is active and still running.

I'd love to give an answer to that, but as I've done just 2 marathons, I really don't know.

Maybe 16 @mp as many do before a goal marathon.

• Advertisement
          • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Hi there AMK, I'm really enjoying these questions and answers, keep up the good work!

Is it true your missus gives you love heart chocolates every time she cooks for you?

Stolen from martahontalk ; if you had 6 months perfect training, access to coaches, physio, no job etc., how fast would you run a mile?

And because Racoon Queen hasn't come along yet...
            Favourite flavour of crisps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Jaysus, not another one?

That's Quirky, Blockic, Belcarra and Killerz.......

Few Yids here too though !

Thanks MS!

Is it true your missus gives you love heart chocolates every time she cooks for you?
            Yep - so in the last 12 months, that would be.............once.

Stolen from martahontalk ; if you had 6 months perfect training, access to coaches, physio, no job etc., how fast would you run a mile?

its a pipe dream, no job, perfect training, physio, coaches............
            I think 4:45 at an uneducated guess.

And because Racoon Queen hasn't come along yet...
            Favourite flavour of crisps

Cheese & Onion - and it must be King :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Edinburgh would be good crack!!

I'll be up for that when you get around to organising it ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

RedRunner wrote: »
            -Inisfails! --That's gas...played many a game against them in my youth. Ever play in a team with a guy called "maggot" ?(no I'm not joking!)

0k?

You sure that wasn't someone who played with Plunketts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

kit3 wrote: »
            You sure that wasn't someone who played with Plunketts ?

No, definitely Inisfails. We had some ding dong battles with them during my juvenile days.(A long time ago!) There could well have been more than one though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great read Alan and the very best in Manchester - remember to save that finishing line puke for the gates of Old Trafford :)

Very few questions left unanswered except jelly beans or jelly babies?

Ososlo wrote: »

That could actually be me.... Oh, then again no, you said ''always running'' ;)

I'll be up for that when you get around to organising it ;):D

I'm not getting into a confined space with you :D

• Advertisement
          • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Just caught this thread now. Great answers AMK but am hugely surprised smug that my marathon PB is quicker than yours (albeit not for long!).
            Only the one question from me: Why would you leave the 'Mun for Castleknock area??

Advertisement