Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AR/tist in the spotlight - AuldManKing

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Are you finished studying for your MBA?
    Is it true that all people with MBAs are dickheads? ;)
    Why the hatred for the Irish soccer team?
    McDonald's of Burger king?
    How may pairs of runners do you own and which are your favourites?
    Best piece of running kit purchased?
    Top 3 all time sporting heroes?
    Ever seen anything dodgy go on in the furry glen?
    Have you ever participated in any dodgy goings on in the furry glen? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

TRR wrote: »
    Ever seen anything dodgy go on in the furry glen?
    Have you ever participated in any dodgy goings on in the furry glen? ;)

Who is this 'Furry Glenn' it's alleged you know so well??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Whilst in running gear have you ever been accused of having a Moose Knuckle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I'm not getting into a confined space with you :D
    Thank God for that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great read Alan and the very best in Manchester - remember to save that finishing line puke for the gates of Old Trafford :)

Very few questions left unanswered except jelly beans or jelly babies?

Jelly beans. & I look forward to getting sick & Peeing on the gates of Old Trafford!!

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Just caught this thread now. Great answers AMK but am hugely surprised smug that my marathon PB is quicker than yours (albeit not for long!).
    Only the one question from me: Why would you leave the 'Mun for Castleknock area??

it was the only place I could find that my mother couldn't get a bus to.

[*]Are you finished studying for your MBA?

Yes - thank God - I cant really believe I was training for DCM while finishing my MBA. Actually just got the piece of paper today!

[*]Is it true that all people with MBAs are dickheads? ;)

We're just above people with Arts degrees but below people with PHD's in biology and a love for mushrooms. ;)

[*]Why the hatred for the Irish soccer team?

Its what Trap brought to the teamand how he had us playing. Irish soccers darkest years.
      Hopefully MO'N will rekindle the flames!

[*]McDonald's of Burger king?
      McD's for the coffee.

[*]How may pairs of runners do you own and which are your favourites?

I could write a thesis on this.

Favourite are the Saucony Guide 6 - but I upgraded for the Guide 7 and it just didn't work out.
      Then I had the Lunar Eclipse, great shoe - changed for Lunar Glide 4 - didn't work out again - same reason with the bunion and the sore instep.

Right now, the only runner I can wear without any pain are the Skechers.
      I now have 2 pairs and actually love them - a very comfortable light shoe.

Hopefully, the bunion/instep thing will disapate and I'll be wearing the Guide 7's as theres only 50 miles on them.

Must get new laces for my Brooks ST 5's.

Currently have about 9 pairs :) - of which 2 or 3 will be withrawn from use fairly soon.

[*]Best piece of running kit purchased?

I'm considering buying arm sleeves for Manchester, 'just in case' - so it could be them :)
      But right now its a pair of Hilly Shorts - plenty of pockets and loops - my favourite racing shorts.

[*]Top 3 all time sporting heroes?

(1) As a child/teenager I loved watching Seve - there was something magical about him and everything he done on the golf course.

(2) I'd place Carl Lewis up there - I'd still like to harbour some hope that he was clean.

(3) Steve Perryman - Spurs captain for about 100 years. Only ever got 1 Eng cap for some strange reason. Solid player, great footballing mind.

[*]Ever seen anything dodgy go on in the furry glen?

Never - although one week I was looking for somewhere to pee and may have looked dodgy myself, constantly looking over my shoulder etc - just as I was about to start, a man appeared in the distance -
      I held it (the pee :) ) til I got home.........

[*]Have you ever participated in any dodgy goings on in the furry glen?

There was this one time....with my dog.......

digger2d2 wrote: »
      Whilst in running gear have you ever been accused of having a Moose Knuckle?

you have to be caught to be accused.

I'm skeptical about the sketchers. My mrs bought a pair before Xmas and was sent back with them. She bought them for the nice colours :) ill send you a pm with a link for some nice cheap arm sleeves I'm currently sporting.

Assuming you had a time machine of some sort and blockic was able to place himself 10-15 years into the future. Would you allow him date one of your daughters? ;)

Same question as above, except if digger was able to take like 50 years off his age? :)

Have you ever ran a parkrun?

Do you watch much television?

Favourite genre of book?

I'm skeptical about the sketchers. My mrs bought a pair before Xmas and was sent back with them. She bought them for the nice colours :)

I'm still skeptical about them - I dont believe I'll get 500 miles out of them - but for now, they are the only thing I can wear, so its a case of having to (I'd be shot if I went out and bought a pair of Guide 6's)

Assuming you had a time machine of some sort and blockic was able to place himself 10-15 years into the future. Would you allow him date one of your daughters? ;)

Actually - I'd love my girls to meet a guy like Blocky. Top lad.

Same question as above, except if digger was able to take like 50 years off his age? :)

No. Not a chance. Never.
      But if they were so inclined, CL would be a lovely daughter in law :)

Have you ever ran a parkrun?

5-6 of them - all in Malahide.
      Met Meno there for the 1st time - introduced myself to him during the run!! he beat me that day though.

Best run there was on my daughters 13th b'day - I ran around with her, but before hand, I had send Peckham a few words for a shout out for her, and fair play to him, he gave it socks - brought up things from my log and all.
      Gave her a great 'Happy Birthday' at the start. She was chuffed.

Do you watch much television?

No - never during the week - only watch a couple of shows at the weekend, that I download.
      Homeland is current favourite.
      Game of thrones & 24 starting back in April!!
      Spent a few months watching every season again of the West Wing. Best show ever.

Favourite genre of book?

Do a lof of reading (on the ipad - download them :) )
      Action stuff (normally)
      Lee Child (the Jack Reacher series)
      James Rollins (Sigma novels)
      Preston & Child (Perdergast novels)

But currently reading Malcom Gladwells 'Blink' - interesting read!

• Advertisement

Need to start thinking of a suitable candidate for next week..........

Hhhhhmmmmmm

I have some thoughts.......

Money to me of you don't want to be nominated. I'll sent you the bank details of my cousin in Nigeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Hey RK! I've just seen this tread this morning. Loving your replies.

• How many boardies have you actually met (seems to be a lot!)?
      • Winning an All-Ireland lined out at midfield for Dublin or sub 2:45 mara?
      • If the answer to above is winning an AL, then what time would it take to trump it?
      • What was the first log you followed?
      • Why did you set up a log?
      • If you could go back 20 years and give yourself just one piece of advice, what would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Few more for you:
      What do you get from keeping a training log?
      Do you read running books? Any favourites?
      You have just finished your marathon, what would be in your dream goodie bag?

Thanks Cleanman!

[*]How many boardies have you actually met (seems to be a lot!)?

Jaysus - dont know - more than you but less than Meno :)
      I like the social side of this thing, makes it less one dimensional.
      I also like putting faces to names & vice versa - Boards can be a bit anonymous at times and may be perceived as being cliquey so I like to engage with a wide variety of people on here.

[*]Winning an All-Ireland lined out at midfield for Dublin or sub 2:45 mara?

All Ireland medal for sure!

[*]If the answer to above is winning an AL, then what time would it take to trump it?

the only thing that could trump it is a DCM victory!

[*]What was the first log you followed?

Possibly the DCM Novice log, followed by the improvers log (or whatever it was called !) - for individual logs - possibly KC's, Meno (when he had one) and RayCun and miclin muc - plus the people who actaully had a log when I started reading boards.
      I also like reading peoples logs from the start - if you read KU's log or SMoores log and see where they came from and where they are now - theres massive improvement and its actually very motivational.

CL's log would be similar now if she bothered her backside in between her media work.

[*]Why did you set up a log?

Seemed the natural progression from commenting on the DCM logs - no longer a novice or a graduate - so got to do your own thing.

As I mentioned earlier, I dont talk a whole lot about running with my family, so its great to have an outlet like this. Theres a couple of guys in work I bounce things off, but boards is great for advice, even if you dont want it!

[*]If you could go back 20 years and give yourself just one piece of advice, what would it be?

Great question - I read this earlier and had to come away from it to think about it for a while.

From a general perspective, my advice would be to follow my instinct - as I'm very happy with each direction my life has taken. Don't think I'd change anything at all.

I do recall having a conversation with my wife about running and saying that its one of my regrets, not starting sooner as I love running/racing so much.
      That said - if I had of started sooner, then other things may not have worked out as they have.

But regarding the question on advice - it would be to trust my instinct.

Cheers Daza

[*]What do you get from keeping a training log?

Good question - as mentioned above, I like the social side of it and the advice.
        I also think that people must like the positive affirmations that it gives - the back slapping when things are going well. This is important 'cos we aint going to get it anywhere else, unless running is something you grew up with and a lot of your 'real' friends are involved in running.

I do wonder;
        if I joined a club and after a race I had my clubmates on 1 side and the usual Boards group on the other - who would you go to after the race?
        Who do you do your warm down run with?

Right now, it'd be the Boardsies all the way.

[*]Do you read running books? Any favourites?

Do I wha' ?

yep - I've got the Daniels and the P&D's and 'The art of running faster' and a good McMillan book.
        Also got a few of the general running books that I bought when I 1st started running.

Tried to read the G.Duffy book on 32 in 32, but got bored halfway through.
        Also Dean Karnases book on his 50 marathons - think I got to 20 then put it down.

As far as favourites, I dont really have favourite - some are muck and some are good - maybe the closest I came to a favourite was one I picked up in the library from McMillan (cant recall the name - but it was as much common sense as anything) - I also keep going back to Daniels for reference - even though I've never followed a Daniels plan, so that must say something about that.

I never read The Lore of Running - thats on my list.

[*]You have just finished your marathon, what would be in your dream goodie bag

A new garmin, compression socks, and a magic pill to make me recover in no time.

Actually - regarding goodie bags - I always wonder why they give out t-shirts and not shorts.
        I've lots and lots of t shirts but need more shorts!! maybe its the advertising.

A magic pool to help you recover!!!! Wouldn't be blue by any chance?

Good point regards shorts instead of shorts in the goodie bag. I ran a race in Spain before were you got shorts and socks. Thought that was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I like that idea too - shorts instead of t-shirts. Another gem from RK!

Advertisement