Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streetfighter.ie Feedback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LIFETRAP

Orim wrote: »
    tickthrow.ie is a nice one. I'd vote that if we end up changing the url.

The site being geared towards street fighter isn't going to change with a name change. The vast majority of players play street fighter. There is minimal amounts of other players. Old games like Marvel don't seem have players. The soul calibur player base has given up. Tekken players a) have zaibatsu and seem happy there / b) they are learning street fighter.

Blazblue has probably got the biggest playerbase of any non streetfighter and you can still count them on one hand.

This all opinion but I don't think I'd be far wrong.

By your logic of Tekken players having Zaibatsu, what's the point in the Irish street fighter site when there's already SRK? It's meant to be for the Irish fighting game scene, so it should have stuff on other games. It's also a way to get other people into other games.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

LIFETRAP wrote: »
    By your logic of Tekken players having Zaibatsu, what's the point in the Irish street fighter site when there's already SRK? It's meant to be for the Irish fighting game scene, so it should have stuff on other games. It's also a way to get other people into other games.

I think Orim is referring to the fact that we tried with Tekken and it didn't really work out. :)

As it happens I agree with you though, SF will always be my game but I'd love to see other games grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LIFETRAP

Yeah, same here. SF will always be my favourite. But I still play BB, 3s, CVS2, MVC2, GG, TVC. It'd be cool to be able to play them offline with a group of people. I know there has been some 3s at the casuals recently. I can hardly ever make it to them cause of other stuff. Some day I'll make it down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

The site being geared towards street fighter isn't going to change with a name change. The vast majority of players play street fighter. There is minimal amounts of other players. Old games like Marvel don't seem have players. The soul calibur player base has given up. Tekken players a) have zaibatsu and seem happy there / b) they are learning street fighter.

Blazblue has probably got the biggest playerbase of any non streetfighter and you can still count them on one hand.

I think by not accomodating/acknowledging other playerbases no matter how small are we just creating an elitist community, 'you can join us as long as you play our game'?

Shouldnt the website be about catering for players who happen upon the website, rather than someone establishing themselves as a player of a game in this forum and then asking for some info to be added to the website??
    SF will always be my game but I'd love to see other games grow.

And isnt that what its all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Shouldnt the website be about catering for players who happen upon the website, rather than someone establishing themselves as a player of a game in this forum and then asking for some info to be added to the website??

And isnt that what its all about.

It is, I just don't see the issue with the name. As for catering for other games, I point you to the most recent point on sf.ie (:pac:) : http://streetfighter.ie/?p=334

We did our best to try and help out the tekken guys and get them involved but they don't seem to want to move over from zaibatsu. That's not our fault and I don't see how a name change is going encourage them especially since it wasn't sf.ie (:pac:) that they didn't want to get involved with but the Fighting Games forum. That's generic as hell but didn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I posted on tekkenzaibatsu today to tell the guys who were playing SSFIV the past few times to integrate with us more and two people just replied saying that it's ****e.

There's no pleasing some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I point you to the most recent point on sf.ie (:pac:) : http://streetfighter.ie/?p=334

:D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Personally I don't see the need for a new URL. It's nice short memorable URL (it also has the nice shortened sf.ie). As long as we put content for other games then I don't see the issue.
    I also think that the URL is fine as is. Sure doesn't SRK have Blazblue, tekken and KoF forums? But shock horror their URL is SF related. Yes most of their traffic is SF related, but then so is ours.

Podcasts sound awesome. We could do rotations around the country and have it bi-monthly, Dublin, North, Limerick, Cork (soon!) repeat. Or two for Dublin seeing as how there's lots of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I also think that the URL is fine as is. Sure doesn't SRK have Blazblue, tekken and KoF forums? But shock horror their URL is SF related. Yes most of their traffic is SF related, but then so is ours.

Podcasts sound awesome. We could do rotations around the country and have it bi-monthly, Dublin, North, Limerick, Cork (soon!) repeat. Or two for Dublin seeing as how there's lots of ye.

Where does Westmeath come into all of this! :pac:

That falls under Dublin right?

(Oh yes, that's right, I got to make a county joke!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I posted on tekkenzaibatsu today to tell the guys who were playing SSFIV the past few times to integrate with us more and two people just replied saying that it's ****e.

There's no pleasing some people.

Can you link this?

After you left yesterday, pretty much just before everyone was leaving the 2 tekken lads that were left came over to us.

I explained everything to them, the scene, the community how we're here to help grow other fighting game scenes also and they seemed really interested, were really sound and had plenty of questions about everything.

They said they'd join us on Saturdays casuals. I told them to post on here but I guess they havnt yet.

I generally agree with Orim about just cause its called sf.ie doesn't mean we're all about sf only. I don't think the name is perfect though I'd rather something like FightingGamesIreland, FGI with a totally original logo. Something about us using capcoms font and so forth doesnt settle fully with me.

However having said that I'm pretty damn pleased with everything so far. Its not a big issue for me, just something on my mind.

As for the link saying forums @ boards.ie well we've gone through that before and its really the best option.

imo. It would be nice if boards had a green theme that matches the site though :p

That falls under Dublin right?

(Oh yes, that's right, I got to make a county joke!)

Jeez I can't wait to see your group in the next tournament following that insult of Shadaloo land.

Also do people want to see a more constant stream of updates to the site?
    Currently I am trying to keep it fairly relevent to our community rather then repeating every story that pops up on eventhubs, IPW or SRK. I am limiting it to more or less one update a day in order to ensure that there is always updates rather than splurges of info.

I think your doing fine, it looks lame when sites just copy and paste info from other sites all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

This is why i registered streetfighter.ie, Originally i was going to register fight.ie but it was unavailable, sf is pretty much the most universally known fighting game so it kind of works as an umbrella term.

We could always do blazblue.streetfighter.ie or tekken.streetfighter.ie aswell. Would keep everything under a central easy to remember name but give diversity to the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

If you really want to consider another url, www.fightingspirit.ie isn't registered yet either, which could be shortened to fs.ie as well.

As for the podcast, perhaps have it done in one central location but people from all over the country would send in pieces that would make up a podcast, the other idea might not work so well, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

The name change is essential. Inferno is the name we've been using for a year and I and others have been spreading it around the net.
    Inferno.ie is availible I think thats a good choice and has good branding potential.

.ie or .com is another issue to discuss.

Also a forum on the site is top priority. I don't visit often because of that, rather than wait for more traffic, the forum will drive that traffic and would get around some of the limitations of boards.

Rob any good ideas from any site you find.
    Try get the nothern lad to post news on it (maybe give someone posting rights) we should try unify all irish FG stuff in one place, regardless of politics, we are physically one island.

podcasts are a great idea too.

emm, probably other stuff too.
    The site is looking good though so keep up the good work.

Also a forum on the site is top priority. I don't visit often because of that, rather than wait for more traffic, the forum will drive that traffic and would get around some of the limitations of boards.
    What are these limitations you speak of? Are they worth splitting the community over?

Cause I know I only check Fighting Games as often as I do, because I've lots of other reasons to be on boards. And as DooM said, we get a good few randomers who hang out on boards who wouldn't have known this was here otherwise. Me included.

I really don't see a new forum getting as much traffic as this one.

You are a mod though onion , you wouldn't see the limitations of free speech as being as much of an issues as others would on here.

I'm just glad your not a mod of these forums haha :p I can picture the banning spree lol

Sisko wrote: »
    You are a mod though onion , you wouldn't see the limitations of free speech as being as much of an issues as others would on here.

I'm just glad your not a mod of these forums haha :p I can picture the banning spree lol
    How to be a mod 101:
    Outside my forums, I am a regular user like yourself. I'll get infracted (has happened twice) and banned just like anyone else here if I act the muppet.

Also, that hurts, I'm a lovely mod, I've only ever banned one person from any of my forums, and that's cause he kept saying Santa wasn't real. :mad:

hahah you know I'd be banned instantly with my bogger jokes , sure didnt you try to mod the irc channel at one stage too, tsk tsk onion your one of those guys that goes mad with power.

haha :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Personally I don't see the need for a new URL. It's nice short memorable URL (it also has the nice shortened sf.ie). As long as we put content for other games then I don't see the issue.
    Name a URL that has the snap of streetfighter.ie? Also I believe that there isn't an Irish player base out there for other games to justify the change. It just seems pedantic and pointless to me, not to mention it being a needless expense.

Vyze I get what your saying about the shortening but people don't seem to have issues with SRK. It's a shame we can't register sf.ie.
    Vyze wrote: »
    Using a domain extension as part of the name implies that you're reading the full URL.

While the Url does read as StreetFighter.ie, why shouldn't we communicate as SFIE? Like the comparison to SRK, it is a street fighter related, yet there's enough room for all fighting games. The abbreviation would become the brand name though communication and the declaration of being Ireland's largest fighting game community. People relate the fighting scene to SFIE and then the community grow while keeping the snappy brand name.

If the name is changed, then it has to be something that can be shortened and made snappy when communicating. Nearly all the biggest events carry short names: EVO, SRK, Mid-West, SBO, SvB. And while in some cases long names can get away with it NeoEmpire. you'd need a pretty ****ing epic name.

The name change is essential. Inferno is the name we've been using for a year and I and others have been spreading it around the net.
    Inferno.ie is availible I think thats a good choice and has good branding potential.

I don't see any branding potential behind the name Inferno for the umberalla term. I mean as far as I can tell the only people that are aware/ would use the inferno name are those of us that have been here for a while and are in on the joke of the name.

I'm not saying we ditch the name. I think it's a great name for the tournaments and it's a great way to distinguish our tournaments from other tournaments.

To once again bring it back to a wrestling comparsion, I would see the Inferno as being our Raw. It's a great name for what it is but we still need our WWE umbrella term.

What if we made a silver account for each game and removed the big list from the player list page. That way we could just have the silver ids for each game and perhaps links to the KnowingMeKnowingYou profile of each player.

I assume you just need an e-mail to make a silver account? If so I have like 4 mails not being used that I could make an account with.
    Can you do something similar on the PSN?

I'm not even sure what a silver account is, I assume its something to do with organising friends lists or something? Anyway theres nothing like that on PSN that I'm aware of.

A silver account is an xbox live account that you don't pay for. It lets you do everything except play games, so it means that you can use it as a general friends list account. The reason this works is that I can add the silver account and then I can see it's friends so I know who is online.

Now that I think about you can PSN is free and again you just need an e-mail to create an account. The real question should be, On PSN can you see your friends friends list?

Now that I think about you can PSN is free and again you just need an e-mail to create an account. The real question should be, On PSN can you see your friends friends list?

Not that I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I'll get banned just like anyone else here if I act the muppet.

if?!

:pac:

Why are we changing the url now?

Checked tekkenzaibatsu again and got a positive reply, so left one of my own, encouraging a united FG community and asking for help with Tekken related articles for streetfighter.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

It is, I just don't see the issue with the name. As for catering for other games, I point you to the most recent point on sf.ie (:pac:) : http://streetfighter.ie/?p=334

We did our best to try and help out the tekken guys and get them involved but they don't seem to want to move over from zaibatsu. That's not our fault and I don't see how a name change is going encourage them especially since it wasn't sf.ie (:pac:) that they didn't want to get involved with but the Fighting Games forum. That's generic as hell but didn't help.

Honestly, I'm not sure about "trying our best" before, I went up to the lads playing Tekken yesterday and told them to feel free to come over and join us, and about 5 minutes later they did and we were chatting away, as per Sisko's post. One of them was a KOF player as well. Lumping the whole irish Tekken community in with people on TZ who don't want to play SF4/associate with us is a really bad idea imo.

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm not sure about "trying our best" before, I went up to the lads playing Tekken yesterday and told them to feel free to come over and join us, and about 5 minutes later they did and we were chatting away, as per Sisko's post. One of them was a KOF player as well. Lumping the whole irish Tekken community in with people on TZ who don't want to play SF4/associate with us is a really bad idea imo.

Dude, I ran their tournament for them!

Advertisement