Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Shpud2 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Not really sure about writing this. Not sure what it is whether its a rant or what. Really just feel the need to vent after a tough few months.

I suppose I'll start with the good. I had a great relationship. I found someone who actually liked me and cared about me and made me very very happy. But i messed that up. I mess a lot of things up. Friendships mostly. I can't keep friends and i don't know how to make new ones. Things weren't good for me before that relationship ended but i feel that just set me over the edge.

I've been letting my anxiety get the better of me. I have lost all confidence. I struggle to do basic things now like text someone or go to a shop. I get advice like be confident but i just can't pull it out of nowhere.

I still get bullied. Less so than before since I got the Gardai involved but still enough to stress me out and worry me.

I'm constantly down and irritable and snappy with people. Always starting arguments and i can't help it and i apologise but people don't care for my apologies which i understand but when i say sorry and they say it doesn't matter it hurts.

As I say i don't know what I'm posting this for. I have counselling starting in August but I just don't have the motivation to go on.

Thanks for reading if you bothered.

Rant away. That's what the forum is for. And, I'm sure many of us are in the same boat with regards to anxiety and depression.

I'm sorry to hear about your relationship. You may feel that you messed up, but maybe it's not exactly the case. I know the feeling about messing things up with someone I've been seeing, or friendships. Between a recent job loss and rejection around the same time, things got to me big time.

Well done to you for seeking advice, whether it be from a friend, or whoever. I know I have sought advice too from friends or family, depending on my predicament.

I'm sorry to hear about the bullying to. Who is bullying you, if you don't mind me asking? It must be serious, if the Gardai had to be involved.

I understand about how you feel in terms of being down and snappy. It's common to feel like that with anxiety or depression. As for the people who don't care for your apologies, if they're friends, then maybe they just need to be given space. I am sort of in the same boat with a few I recently messed up with.

Well done for going to counselling. I started going on and off last year, and due to recent developments, I'm back there again almost a year on. I am happy that I started going. It does help over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Rant away. That's what the forum is for. And, I'm sure many of us are in the same boat with regards to anxiety and depression.

I'm sorry to hear about your relationship. You may feel that you messed up, but maybe it's not exactly the case. I know the feeling about messing things up with someone I've been seeing, or friendships. Between a recent job loss and rejection around the same time, things got to me big time.

Well done to you for seeking advice, whether it be from a friend, or whoever. I know I have sought advice too from friends or family, depending on my predicament.

I'm sorry to hear about the bullying to. Who is bullying you, if you don't mind me asking? It must be serious, if the Gardai had to be involved.

I understand about how you feel in terms of being down and snappy. It's common to feel like that with anxiety or depression. As for the people who don't care for your apologies, if they're friends, then maybe they just need to be given space. I am sort of in the same boat with a few I recently messed up with.

Well done for going to counselling. I started going on and off last year, and due to recent developments, I'm back there again almost a year on. I am happy that I started going. It does help over time.

Thanks for the reply Trebor.

Unfortunately the relationship ending was my fault and that was made pretty clear to me. There was a lot if issues during it that I'd rather not share on thread that caused issues.

I'm being bullied by relatives and it is very very serious and it was at the level of assualt where i had to get the guards involved.

I try to give my friends space but then you get to the stage where you've no one to talk to at all and are so alone.

I'm happy about counselling though like i know I need help and i was in counselling before and after that ended i really noticed the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Anxiety makes decision making so much harder. I know I have to think everything through, but I don't know if I'm overthinking it or if I'm thinking about it the normal amount. And then when I think I've almost made a decision, I still keep thinking about it and change my mind again. I just wish someone could tell me what to do, but I'm an adult now and I have to make my own decisions.

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Anxiety makes decision making so much harder. I know I have to think everything through, but I don't know if I'm overthinking it or if I'm thinking about it the normal amount. And then when I think I've almost made a decision, I still keep thinking about it and change my mind again. I just wish someone could tell me what to do, but I'm an adult now and I have to make my own decisions.
    I completely get that. I always overthink things I'm so bad for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Trebor176 wrote: »

I want to apologise to anyone here, who may have or know anybody with BPD. I am not put off at all by anyone with it. No way! But, I was just advised not to get romantically involved with someone with it. I have seen the affects myself. I do know some with it, but I have never seen them suffer from it.

I'm responding to what you said, but just edited things to be a bit tidy cos I can blather on a bit. :)

It sounds like you ran into a toxic group of individuals, and tbh, I've had similar experiences with those types of people, both online and in my own personal life.

There are some people who get off on playing games-mind games and so on-and it's this bullying mentality, in certain respects, that they don't grow out of. Often projecting insecurities onto others.
    I had similar experiences, in my case someone started cyber harassing me and then doing similar in person. She would get drunk, and just absolutely lambast me or others. When I just decided to ignore her and block her when I finally had enough, she started attacking her friends and an ex-girlfriend, giving her a massive black eye.

Another one, she played a lot of mind games-as in she was dating another guy, but would get ticked off if I called her a friend. I couldn't mention female friends around her, because I would notice she would get jealous.
    (Honestly, I found all this bizarre-she had a good job, the guy she was dating was a good guy and I'd even met him a few times. I was nobody in comparison-I just treated her like a friend).

I worked alongside someone who wouldn't give me credit for the work I did or the ideas I submitted-instead choosing to credit someone else.. (I literally found out when I saw a rough draft of the final work project). He didn't even tell me in person, and then proceeded to be a jerk to me online. (He was out sick the day the ideas had been done and submitted, everyone else bar him and the person credited agreed on the credit, just because he wasn't there he made some assumption and then refused to take the 10 minutes to fix it).
    The guy would often make disgusting jokes in front of people at my expense, his most egregious was that I was 'trying to take his virginity'... He's married with a kid, and was in his 40s at the time.

A friend of mine has some horror stories where he works. He was planning a trip abroad, either Cambodia or Brazil. When two co-workers found out, they started making accusations accusing him of being a paedophile, and another saying something like 'I half expect you to turn up to work one day and shoot up the place'.

Some people are just poison. I know it's hard to move on, but I would move on from these people. They sound like not nice folks, tbh. If they know your own problems, as well as sharing your personal info and other stuff behind the scenes, lose em like a bad phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,886 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Kitty6277 wrote: »

Seeking input if normal, you don't have to make every decision yourself. Even having your own decisions backed up will be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,886 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

These mental health campaigns are funny, it's like'' just talk '' They should add '' just not to me''

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's interesting - i don't like the "it's ok to not be ok" tjhing because it doesn't follow through. I feel (personally) that it's a very dead end kinda catchphrase, not sure if that's just a me thing though..

It's interesting - i don't like the "it's ok to not be ok" tjhing because it doesn't follow through. I feel (personally) that it's a very dead end kinda catchphrase, not sure if that's just a me thing though..

It kind of is dead end. It absolutely is ok to not feel ok but erm then what. The only thing maybe is that when it comes to putting yourself under pressure or torment to be doing great and not feeling how you are then that pressure can just add to your current mood. For example I went through a rough time about two months ago and had days where I didn´t leave the house and just slept a lot. I accepted it though without any criticism of myself. Life was tough enough so I wasn´t going to add to that by judging my handling of things at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

These mental health campaigns are funny, it's like'' just talk '' They should add '' just not to me''

I always felt that them campaigns were more directed at people who got a bit stressed every now and then rather then folk who are dealing with long term anxiety and depression. Just talk if only it were that easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

mg1982 wrote: »
    I always felt that them campaigns were more directed at people who got a bit stressed every now and then rather then folk who are dealing with long term anxiety and depression. Just talk if only it were that easy.

This X 1000

Ive been off work a while due to a relapse, trying a TCA for the first time and I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect but already feeling a bit better after a few days

I hate going into the doctor looking like a junkie asking for valium but sometimes it is the literal one thing that can help, does anyone else feel like this or is it just me?

Do you ever just feel so alone and unloved? Like that you are such a bad person that no one wants to hang out with you? I haven't hung out with any of my friends since I got my summer holidays and it feels so **** like I am always available and trying to set things up but people just don't want to spend time with me and it really brings me down. I don't know what more I can do to make people want to hang out. I offer to do anything or go anywhere. I always offer to pay. I know I'm awkward and stuff but it hurts to be alone.

Do you ever just feel so alone and unloved? Like that you are such a bad person that no one wants to hang out with you? I haven't hung out with any of my friends since I got my summer holidays and it feels so **** like I am always available and trying to set things up but people just don't want to spend time with me and it really brings me down. I don't know what more I can do to make people want to hang out. I offer to do anything or go anywhere. I always offer to pay. I know I'm awkward and stuff but it hurts to be alone.

I think nowadays keeping friends is hard. A lot of people have 1000 things on their mind and responsibilities that keep them meeting up with their friends. That said I have one close friend who we don't usually see each other for months. I always believe in quality over quantity in friendship. So to answer your question I wouldn't take it out on yourself. I struggled with the same issue a lot and had to come to the conclusion that people are just so busy to even think of anyone outside their family

I think nowadays keeping friends is hard. A lot of people have 1000 things on their mind and responsibilities that keep them meeting up with their friends. That said I have one close friend who we don't usually see each other for months. I always believe in quality over quantity in friendship. So to answer your question I wouldn't take it out on yourself. I struggled with the same issue a lot and had to come to the conclusion that people are just so busy to even think of anyone outside their family

I would agree with that about adults alright but i don't think it applies to teens the same way. Like i would be a lot busier than my friends cause i would have appointments and jobs to get to and i manage them and still have an abundance of free time. Its not so much that they are busy most of the time its that people have made it clear they don't want to hang out even my closest friends say that and i don't think I'm that bad to warrant such a response.

I would agree with that about adults alright but i don't think it applies to teens the same way. Like i would be a lot busier than my friends cause i would have appointments and jobs to get to and i manage them and still have an abundance of free time. Its not so much that they are busy most of the time its that people have made it clear they don't want to hang out even my closest friends say that and i don't think I'm that bad to warrant such a response.

Are you in uni or still in school?

Are you in uni or still in school?

Still in school

Still in school

I take it you'll be going to uni, if so, chin up, uni is where you will meet so many nicer people and get to join clubs and societies with people that you connect with. Even moving in with strangers you're going to make the bulk of your lifelong friends, I can guarantee you that

I take it you'll be going to uni, if so, chin up, uni is where you will meet so many nicer people and get to join clubs and societies with people that you connect with. Even moving in with strangers you're going to make the bulk of your lifelong friends, I can guarantee you that

Yeah I hope to and I'm sure you're right. That doesn't give me much comfort when I'm spending all this summer alone though you know what I mean?

Yeah I hope to and I'm sure you're right. That doesn't give me much comfort when I'm spending all this summer alone though you know what I mean?

Totally agree it's not much comfort when you are feeling lonely now but I just wanted you to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel ☺

Totally agree it's not much comfort when you are feeling lonely now but I just wanted you to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel ☺

I know you mean well but that doesn't help me much in my current situation

• Advertisement

I know you mean well but that doesn't help me much in my current situation

What would help you Spud? Are you seeing a therapist?

What would help you Spud? Are you seeing a therapist?

Spending time with people. I'm not seeing one at the minute but i will be come August.

Spending time with people. I'm not seeing one at the minute but i will be come August.

Ok well that's great you have an appointment coming up. I know a thing or two about lonely teenage years. It wasn't until I was in my leaving cert year that things started to turn a corner for me and then I really came in to my own in college. Hang in there young fella x

Ok well that's great you have an appointment coming up. I know a thing or two about lonely teenage years. It wasn't until I was in my leaving cert year that things started to turn a corner for me and then I really came in to my own in college. Hang in there young fella x

Well that's what I'm going into next year so hopefully things will fall into place. Even just get back to having school as a distraction. Gonna be a long 5 weeks before i go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I hate to be the bearer of awful opinions, or the ugly other side of the coin-but it often doesn't work out that way. It seriously doesn't.

A friend of mine chose the wrong course, and got in way over his head. Did the societies, took on a ton of workload, and eventually spent a month in hospital with a massive nervous and physical breakdown. Everything that could go wrong, did. He dropped out. And that was after about 4 months.
    And he's not the sole story..

It's seen as the be all end all, in fact it's the opposite. Many who 'graduate' never find work in their chosen program. A combo of wrong training our already outdated skills.

Work on yourself-nothing else's gonna help out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I'm responding to what you said, but just edited things to be a bit tidy cos I can blather on a bit. :)

It sounds like you ran into a toxic group of individuals, and tbh, I've had similar experiences with those types of people, both online and in my own personal life.

There are some people who get off on playing games-mind games and so on-and it's this bullying mentality, in certain respects, that they don't grow out of. Often projecting insecurities onto others.
    I had similar experiences, in my case someone started cyber harassing me and then doing similar in person. She would get drunk, and just absolutely lambast me or others. When I just decided to ignore her and block her when I finally had enough, she started attacking her friends and an ex-girlfriend, giving her a massive black eye.

Another one, she played a lot of mind games-as in she was dating another guy, but would get ticked off if I called her a friend. I couldn't mention female friends around her, because I would notice she would get jealous.
    (Honestly, I found all this bizarre-she had a good job, the guy she was dating was a good guy and I'd even met him a few times. I was nobody in comparison-I just treated her like a friend).

I worked alongside someone who wouldn't give me credit for the work I did or the ideas I submitted-instead choosing to credit someone else.. (I literally found out when I saw a rough draft of the final work project). He didn't even tell me in person, and then proceeded to be a jerk to me online. (He was out sick the day the ideas had been done and submitted, everyone else bar him and the person credited agreed on the credit, just because he wasn't there he made some assumption and then refused to take the 10 minutes to fix it).
    The guy would often make disgusting jokes in front of people at my expense, his most egregious was that I was 'trying to take his virginity'... He's married with a kid, and was in his 40s at the time.

A friend of mine has some horror stories where he works. He was planning a trip abroad, either Cambodia or Brazil. When two co-workers found out, they started making accusations accusing him of being a paedophile, and another saying something like 'I half expect you to turn up to work one day and shoot up the place'.

Some people are just poison. I know it's hard to move on, but I would move on from these people. They sound like not nice folks, tbh. If they know your own problems, as well as sharing your personal info and other stuff behind the scenes, lose em like a bad phone.

I'm only after reading this, so apologies for the late reply. Those people sound very unpleasant indeed, especially the girl. It sounds like she has some sort of issues. Well, it must be something, if she resorts to treating people the way she treated you. It's not right.

As for the others, they're just nasty, especially the two co-workers. Even to make a joke against someone calling them a 'paedophile' could result in legal action, if your friend was really affected by that. It's not the sort of thing to refer to innocent people as.

As for the group, well, yeah, they're probably best avoided. A recent apology was read, but wasn't replied to by one of the girls. What happened between me and the girl I dated, even though I overreacted and did something stupid, it shouldn't have resulted in being blocked the way I was. Up until around a month ago, everything was fine. We were all getting on very well. And, I have known them since late last year.

I do feel there was more going on behind the scenes, i.e. I was being talked about. The girl with the BPD has responded to an apology I made a few months months back saying something along the lines that we will never be friends, and that I treated her badly. Well, her behaviour those nights put me off. It was her final word saying that she would hurt me the way that I hurt her. That being emotionally, of course.

It makes me wonder whether she said stuff about me to the others. For example, she had apparently told them that I was aggressive towards her, which is total BS. They know the story because I told them. It's like as if they were just waiting for some excuse to get rid of me. Maybe I'm just overthinking that part, but Lord knows. A stupid act, and now things are in a mess. It doesn't help that I still have strong feelings for the girl I dated, but her friend now is just ignoring me (she still has me as a friend on Facebook), as have a couple of others been.

One of the group was very nice to me on a recent night out, as I said before, as if she is not bothered by the drama. She went as far to ask if I was ok, etc. She is best friends with one of the girls ignoring me, who is friends with the one I dated. I am likely to see the group, or even a couple from the group at other events, other than those they organise. I can stay away no problem, if they continue to ignore me. There will be others that I know, and new faces to meet.

I hate to be the bearer of awful opinions, or the ugly other side of the coin-but it often doesn't work out that way. It seriously doesn't.

A friend of mine chose the wrong course, and got in way over his head. Did the societies, took on a ton of workload, and eventually spent a month in hospital with a massive nervous and physical breakdown. Everything that could go wrong, did. He dropped out. And that was after about 4 months.
    And he's not the sole story..

It's seen as the be all end all, in fact it's the opposite. Many who 'graduate' never find work in their chosen program. A combo of wrong training our already outdated skills.

Work on yourself-nothing else's gonna help out there.

Perhaps but I think it's very important right now that Shpud can have something positive to look towards and be hopeful about. It's not wise to mention the potential downside. Edited to add that while third level is most definitely not a fix or the be all and end all, pointing out how it can all go wrong to a young lad who is struggling isn't very helpful. I don't mean to be harsh :(

Tbh I'm gonna focus on Persepoly's advice rn. I get that third level might not fix everything but I've got a year before that and I'm gonna look at things to help me at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dragons

Ok so I've been dealing with panic and general anxiety disorder for about a year now.im doing lots of exposure therapy but need to know if this is normal.

Big wedding last Thursday,I fought off my anxiety all day and even ended up dancing the night away.felt great by the end.

For 2 days since my anxiety has been off the charts.is it normal to get rebound anxiety after really pushing yourself to confront your fears?

Will it settle back down or am I pushing myself too hard or fast?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Dragons wrote: »
    Ok so I've been dealing with panic and general anxiety disorder for about a year now.im doing lots of exposure therapy but need to know if this is normal.

Big wedding last Thursday,I fought off my anxiety all day and even ended up dancing the night away.felt great by the end.

For 2 days since my anxiety has been off the charts.is it normal to get rebound anxiety after really pushing yourself to confront your fears?

Will it settle back down or am I pushing myself too hard or fast?

Cheers

Its a great thing that you faced your fear and enjoyed your night out and you seem to be making progress with your therapy. Things should settle down in a day or two it could be an almost hangover effect. I have noticed something similiar with myself though its more low mood and irritability with me.

Advertisement