Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular movie opinions

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    But look at Forrest Gump! It's number 31 on the IMDB list miles ahead of films like Citizen Kane, Paths of Glory, Alien, Amadeus, the Great Dictator, Full Metal Jacket, On the Waterfront, Blade Runner etc. etc. etc. even Avatar is ahead of Gandhi and Good Will Hunting! And I know people have their opinions but Avatar does not deserve to be 43 places ahead of Children of Men..I know I'm beginning to sound like a snob but its true.

I love TGTBTU so much that I think it's really underrated and under appreciated. I just don't think that it gets the praise it deserves, even though I'll admit it is a very well-renowned film. But I'm still quoting lines from that film even though I saw it a year ago and it's one of my most favourite films...maybe it's just because I'm disillusioned that everyone doesn't like it as much as I do, who cares? It's just my opinion, sheesh.

:rolleyes:
    Explain to us how it's underrated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Children of men is absolute overrated ****e where apparently a camera on a shoulder is the most amazing thing ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Explain to us how it's underrated.

It's easy for a person to believe that something is underrated if they like it more than most people, like I said before. Some people might believe the Godfather to be underrated if they dedicate their lives to it or whatever because they love it so much, and it's their opinion that it's underrated...because its a fact that not everyone dedicates their life to the Godfather.

Okay, I'm going to play the "IMDB" card, even though I think that the ratings on it are pretty contentious. TGTBTU has an 8.9 on IMDB. It is my opinion that it should have a 9.5. There, case closed. I'm using this example because it is the only way I can express it.
    Children of men is absolute overrated ****e where apparently a camera on a shoulder is the most amazing thing ever
    Your opinion. I personally think that the film had a lot more to it than "a camera on a shoulder" but hey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not sure you can classify TGTBTU as underrated when it's one of those movies that has passed its way into Pop culture; it's one of the most recognisable themes tunes, film names & all-round movie motifs going. Sure not everyone might have actually seen the film, or love/hate it to the extent you might, but to suggest it's some kind of unknown quantity is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's easy for a person to believe that something is underrated if they like it more than most people, like I said before. Some people might believe the Godfather to be underrated if they dedicate their lives to it or whatever because they love it so much, and it's their opinion that it's underrated...because its a fact that not everyone dedicates their life to the Godfather.

Okay, I'm going to play the "IMDB" card, even though I think that the ratings on it are pretty contentious. TGTBTU has an 8.9 on IMDB. It is my opinion that it should have a 9.5. There, case closed. I'm using this example because it is the only way I can express it.

Your opinion. I personally think that the film had a lot more to it than "a camera on a shoulder" but hey.

No film has a 9.5 on IMDB, 9.2 is the highest.

• Advertisement

No film has a 9.5 on IMDB, 9.2 is the highest.

I might as well give up because nobody has a clue about what I'm trying to say here. :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I might as well give up because nobody has a clue about what I'm trying to say here. :D

Is it that no matter how many people love the movie they'll never love it as much as you do? :P

Yes, exactly. That's why I believe its underrated!

Wisdom from Mayo here guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Ah now, negged big time.

Here's a picture of the last person who was as wrong as you are.

CRsss.jpg
    "Peace for our time"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yes, exactly. That's why I believe its underrated!

Wisdom from Mayo here guys!

Thats not wisdom its just baffling logic, somethings underrated because you love it more than everyone else who loves it?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    Thats not wisdom its just baffling logic, somethings underrated because you love it more than everyone else who loves it?

:( damn you krudler, a county weeps this night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Goldstein wrote: »
    Ah now, negged big time.

Here's a picture of the last person who was as wrong as you are.

CRsss.jpg
    "Peace for our time"

at the end of it in the cinema somebody stood up and said 'what the fcuk was that ****' and damn right he was too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A History of Violence

Oh the critics loved this one, a lot of hype over this film
    I didn't enjoy it at all. It's very short, don't realy get to know any of the characters or give a damn about them.

William Hurt got a Oscar nomination, he was barely in the film!

Very disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bessiemae

:confused:

That seems to be the general response whenever I say that about Kevin Spacey. Hence it being an unpolular opinion. To elaborate a bit; whenever I watch a film with him in it I feel far too aware that I am watching Kevin Spacey 'act' and 'emote', I can almost see the wheels turning. That to me is a weak actor. I you can't make the veiwer believe you are this character then you are not doing your job properly as an actor. I get the same feeling from Nicole Kidman.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I enjoyed all the X-Men movies to date.
    I enjoyed National Treasure and Kick ass (but otherwise stand firm on a hatred of Nicolas Cage)
    I liked Avatar for its visuals, but according to most people, "that's not enough reason to like a movie".
    I didn't understand how people found Inception confusing.

Victor_M wrote: »
    P.P.S Inception was rubbish, convoluted, nonsensical CGI'd rubbish

Which CGI is this? Nolan said he wanted to keep computer generated effects to a minimum for the movie.
    The rotating hallway scene and the entire snow fortress exploding for example. Both were physically created for making the movie. Effects were used, but subtly, to smooth out some of the scenes which toyed with time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, most of the effects in Inception were special effects (done practically) rather than visual effects (done on a computer). The film only had about 500 visual effect shots. In contrast, The Social Network had a 1000.

Yeah, most of the effects in Inception were special effects (done practically) rather than visual effects (done on a computer). The film only had about 500 visual effect shots. In contrast, The Social Network had a 1000.

It must be a pain in the balls for filmmakers who go out of their way to do something practically and people just assume its fake. Mention stuff like Zodiac and The Social Network as being some really cgi heavy movies and people look at you like you've two heads. Someone I know thought I was talking out of my arse when I told em the twins in The Social Network were played by one person (well technically two...ah just watch the making of it'll explain it better)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Mm, Nolan's old-fashioned that way. He's also one of the rare directors still shooting on film, rather than digital, and I think his films look better for it.

Mm, Nolan's old-fashioned that way. He's also one of the rare directors still shooting on film, rather than digital, and I think his films look better for it.

Agreed, films dont look like films anymore, too much digital grading going on. I like grain!

Nanaki wrote: »
    I liked Avatar for its visuals, but according to most people, "that's not enough reason to like a movie".

It's visuals were outstanding no doubt, best I've seen, in both 3D and 2D. I think it gets a bad rep because it was so hyped up, I mean its not an awful film, it's actually quite rousing in places, its just so thoroughly un-original in terms of theme and story. I think it's resented that such an un-original film is seen as "one of the greatest cinematic achievments of our time", I agree in many ways, though I like the film, but I still think a movie should be recognised more for it's storytelling than it's visuals even though cinema is in a large part a visual art form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I find most Clint Eastwood directed films clichéd, dull and boring.
    After I’ve seen them once I generally have no desire to see them again.
    Invictus – Crap
    Million Dollar Baby – Cliched
    Changeling - Boring
    Gran Torino – Never saw why everyone loves this so much
    Sands of Iwo Jima – Meh.
    Flags of our Fathers – Boring

Changeling - Boring
    So true.
    I didn't understand how people found Inception confusing.
    Same here. I found it pretty easy to understand.
    frown.gif damn you krudler, a county weeps this night.
    Don't worry, the Enda Kenny Police will come to get him tonight.
    at the end of it in the cinema somebody stood up and said 'what the fcuk was that ****' and damn right he was too!
    *Imagines a cinema full of Neville Chamberlains*

Anyone see the Russian adaptation of War and Peace? 6 and a half hours long, but it was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Gilda Fortune

Have to say I love Quentin Tarantino. I like the fact I can tell im watching a Tarantino movie just by his style. From dusk till dawn my favourite one

Its the same with Kubrick, something so cold about his style. - but still i love the shining, i even like Eyes wide shut.

i love spielberg but you might not necessarily know your watching a spileberg movies. this isint a bad thing.
    I watched the money pit on saturday and thought it was brilliant later at credit's saw it was early spielberg

My fav film has got to be Joe Dantes's The Burbs

And Francis ford copploas, Peggy sue got married

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I would never sit through "there will be blood" or "no country for old men" again even if they were the only films on tv, boring rubbish with crappy plots:mad:

I would never sit through "there will be blood" or "no country for old men" again even if they were the only films on tv, boring rubbish with crappy plots:mad:

hardly any explosions either, and Daniel Day Lewis never once said "Aw hell naw!" I are disappoint

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

The Deer Hunter would have been better if it wasn't so frikken long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Have to say I love Quentin Tarantino. I like the fact I can tell im watching a Tarantino movie just by his style. From dusk till dawn my favourite one

Its the same with Kubrick, something so cold about his style. - but still i love the shining, i even like Eyes wide shut.

i love spielberg but you might not necessarily know your watching a spileberg movies. this isint a bad thing.
    I watched the money pit on saturday and thought it was brilliant later at credit's saw it was early spielberg

My fav film has got to be Joe Dantes's The Burbs

And Francis ford copploas, Peggy sue got married
    I'm not going to disagree with peoples opinions on this thread no matter how wrong they are as its all about unpopular opinions, for example the last one about There Will Be Blood having a bad plot.

Just have to point out spielberg didn't direct the money put and tarantino didn't do From Dusk Till Dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

tarantino did write the screenplay though and lets face it his style is pretty much all in the writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

indough wrote: »
    tarantino did write the screenplay though and lets face it his style is pretty much all in the writing.
    Rodriguez has his own style as well though and Dusk looks like one of his movies just as much. Actually I'll never understand why rodriguez is so regarded by so many film fans.

• Advertisement

My old friend's favourite film is the American remake of Godzilla.
    He's going to hell.

:pac:

Advertisement