Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious hate-speech in the UK or fearless speaker of truth?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

So your vow to not post here again was another lie mis-statement, then :)

Mod warning : No calling other posters liars even if you do strike it out and add a smile at the end

instead of taking the daily mirror at face value, please take someone's youtube channel at face value.
    and a US based one at that?

Same report also in the Star, Metro, Examiner Live though all seems to be the same content from the same source. Counter claims by his own PR.

Interesting article in Vice from a couple of days before the incident, notably
    Mega, 30, is awaiting trial for his role in a drugs conspiracy. If convicted it will be his third strike, and he can expect a hefty sentence. He was raised a Muslim and says that despite coming in and out of the prison community over the years, he has been receiving support from other Muslims on his wing and also via visits from his parents’ Imam.

“There is no way anyone [Muslim] will plan anything,” Mega says. “He’s more likely to get a busted mouth from some big fella for acting like he owns the place, or a little rat kid trying to make a name for himself.”

Hit the nail on the head it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

recedite wrote: »
    Except that's all nonsense. You should be more careful with your sources, so you don't perpetuate these kind of lies. TR is actually being held in an isolation unit.
    For a more reliable account of his conditions, see here...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlkOYhqV_Z8
    Levant is hardly a "more reliable' source on anything. He has been successfully sued for libel on at least two occasions, and has avoided libel suits on a number of other occasions by issuing apologies and/or retractions. Furthermore the video says that it simply relays what Tommy Robinson himself says and, as Robinson is a convicted fraudster, you'd have to be exceptionally dim to treat him as a reliable source on any subject in which he himself had an interest or an axe to grind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Except that's all nonsense.
    As Hotblack points out, plenty of other media outlets reported essentially the same story which seems to have originated with a fairly terse report in the Daily Star here.

BTW, that Daily Star article (for me at least) includes a video of Yaxley-Lennon outside the Old Bailey speaking with no less a luminary than the well-known racist and conspiracy-hack, Katie Hopkins - all the while being treated like a celebrity by the large group of bellowing heavyweights and lightweights who accompany him and line his route.

Can't see that attitude going down all that well in prison, so the report's main claim that he behaved in the same way inside as he is shown behaving outside, leading to him being decked by an elderly man, seems plausible to me.
    You should be more careful with your sources, so you don't perpetuate these kind of lies.
    You posted a link to an 18-minute video and I wouldn't imagine that too many people are going to spend that long listening to some Canadian guy ramble on about poor Christopher/Tommeh. Perhaps you could point out where exactly he adequately refutes the central, plausible claim that CYL/TR was clobbered?

Also, as smacl implies above, it's best to avoid using terms like "lie" here in A+A when referring, even indirectly, to other posters - the term really doesn't add much to any discussion, particularly a discussion about a man who has a distinctly troubled relationship with the truth to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    As Hotblack points out

It wazzn't me

I can barely be arsed to follow Y-L's antics here, never mind seek out stories about him across a range of media outlets :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

You posted a link to an 18-minute video and I wouldn't imagine that too many people are going to spend that long listening to some Canadian guy ramble on...
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    ...as Robinson is a convicted fraudster, you'd have to be exceptionally dim to treat him as a reliable source on any subject in which he himself had an interest or an axe to grind.
    Its odd that many people prefer to believe some tabloid nonsense over a first hand account, or indeed the "primary source" which is TR himself.
    I also found it interesting to learn that TR is within shouting distance of that other political prisoner and fearless speaker of truth - Julian Assange.
    Of course, if you refused to listen to the account in the link, you missed all that too.
    I'll leave you guys back in your little bubble now; sorry for interrupting the blissful but blinkered consensus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Its odd that many people prefer to believe some tabloid nonsense over a first hand account, or indeed the "primary source" which is TR himself.

When the primary source is literally a proven liar, declaring everything he says as sacrosanct seems to be a very stupid thing to do.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It wazzn't me I can barely be arsed to follow Y-L's antics here, never mind seek out stories about him across a range of media outlets :)
    Ach, you pointed out something else in another thread and - with a few browser tabs open - misattributed smacl's post to you. I'll ensure that I'm whipped soundly later on this evening.

And as a fraudster, I frankly wouldn't trust much that CYL/TR says to start with, and as a shameless self-publicist, I'd trust even less whatever prose he might concoct about himself. Nor would I trust outlets like the crowd-funded trash media outlet therebel.media which seems to survive on outrage alone.
    I also found it interesting to learn that TR is within shouting distance of that other political prisoner and fearless speaker of truth - Julian Assange.
    I wasn't aware that Assange was in Belmarsh and trust that, in due course, he'll end up at Her Majesty's pleasure somewhere, for many years. On a side note, I'd also be interested to learn the truth about Assange's connection to the Kremlin and Kremlin-controlled/leaning organizations, though at this point, Assange's work for them seems mostly done and the Russians will abandon him with all the enthusiasm which which they'd drop an empty vodka bottle.
    Of course, if you refused to listen to the account in the link, you missed all that too.
    Nope, I watched the first two minutes or so of a rambling, tedious monolog delivered by Ezra Levant - the website's self-styled "Rebel Commander" - but learned nothing about the alleged assault on SYL/TR. During the subsequent quarter hour of video, where exactly does Levant address the point for which you posted the video?

Nope, I watched the first two minutes or so of a rambling, tedious monolog delivered by Ezra Levant - the website's self-styled "Rebel Commander" - but learned nothing about the alleged assault on SYL/TR. During the subsequent quarter hour of video, where exactly does Levant address the point for which you posted the video?
    Well, if your attention span had stretched an extra 40 seconds to 2.40 you would have learned that he was being kept in solitary, and there are no communal showers in solitary.
    And if it had stretched all the way to 4.40 you would have noted your treasured tabloid headline being specifically debunked.
    I wasn't aware that Assange was in Belmarsh and trust that, in due course, he'll end up at Her Majesty's pleasure somewhere, for many years.
    On a side note, I'd also be interested to learn the truth about Assange's connection to the Kremlin and Kremlin-controlled/leaning organizations, though at this point, Assange's work for them seems mostly done...
    I doubt he will remain there long, its only a transition on his way to the USA, where he'll be able to shout down the corridor to Chelsea Manning instead of at Tommy Robinson.

I haven't seen any evidence that Assange worked for the Ruskies. But there is ample evidence that at least one of the < rape > victims was previously kicked out of Cuba because she was working for an American intelligence agency.
    BTW what woman invites a stranger to stay in her apartment while away for the weekend, and then comes home early forgetting he is there? It was a classic honey trap.

• Advertisement

Well, if your attention span had stretched an extra 40 seconds to 2.40 you would have learned that he was being kept in solitary, and there are no communal showers in solitary.
    Thanks for the steer on this - Levant does indeed say that CYL/TR is being kept in solitary - no doubt being there now for his own safety after his unfortunate run-in with a stroppy pensioner in the shower block earlier in the week.
    And if it had stretched all the way to 4.40 you would have noted your treasured tabloid headline being specifically debunked.
    Well, this evening, I made it as far as eight minutes into Levant's tiresome rant and learn that Levant did not - as you falsely claim - say or imply that "there are no communal showers in solitary" but instead, made a hard-to-verify claim that that "Tommy has not been in communal showers". Levant also claims that while CYL/TR "has no human contact", he also suggests that he's free to visit Julian Assange as well as receive the prison governor daily - is he out of human contact, or are Assange and the governor unhuman replicants? Or was Levant just talking through his ass?
    I haven't seen any evidence that Assange worked for the Ruskies.
    Didn't say that he worked for the Russians, but I did clearly imply that his contacts, methods and aims - such as one can speculate about them - seem to align closely with the Kremlin's contacts, methods and aims. This is, of course, unlikely ever to feature in Levant's strange world of smoke, mirrors and bluster, but those of us with longer memories and shorter agendas do see significant, and no doubt entirely co-incidental, similarities.

BTW, Levant is a dreadful reporter - his tedious, self-conscious monolog to camera, delivered from what looks like the back of a luxury taxi - which must have cost well upwards of €200 between Belmarsh and Heathrow - cannot be treated as reliable evidence for much beyond that Levant has access to a well-funded expense account.

Levant did not - as you falsely claim - say or imply that "there are no communal showers in solitary" but instead, made a hard-to-verify claim that that "Tommy has not been in communal showers".
    I suppose I had better ban myself from the thread post-haste, for making this false claim, before someone else does it.

I'll ensure that I'm whipped soundly later on this evening.

It's fine as long as you don't take pleasure in it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I suppose I had better ban myself from the thread post-haste, for making this false claim, before someone else does it.

Don't think anyone has ever been banned from A&A for making false claims, given the creationists and rather fervent religious types that number among the regulars here. A&A is clearly a place where a poster can spout all sorts of outrageous nonsense, supernatural fantasy and unsupported assertion once they adhere to the charter and accept that their posts are liable to attract criticism and possibly derision.

After receiving another prison sentence for contempt of court and being sent to Belmarsh Prison, a fellow prisoner - this one an old age pensioner - appears to have taken issue with Yaxley-Lennon's attitude in the showers and decked our fearless friend:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tommy-robinson-punched-prison-shower-18459295

Oops... it looks like your fake news story above has disappeared from the internet; it appears to have been quietly retracted by the Daily Mirror.

And the Daily Star cloned version of the same BS story has suffered the same fate...

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/793111/tommy-robinson-punched-belmarsh-prison-edl-fight

Meanwhile those who speak the truth languish in a special wing of prison.
    One on trumped up "rape charges" and the other for an incident which has already been looked at and quashed by the UK Supreme Court. Under the general principle of double jeopardy that should have been the end of the matter.

Oops... it looks like your fake news story above has disappeared from the internet

Really??? A quick google shows the story is still available at metro.co.uk here, leeds live here, liberal.ie here and buzz.ie here. Metro article also covers "How Tommy Robinson could have helped keep Huddersfield rape gang on UK streets" and the chats with Assange.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I was aware of it before I you posted your link, Rec. You, evidently, were not, but you should not project your ignorance of such matters onto others. You might be less ignorant if you didn't filter your information sources through an ideological purity test.
    I'll leave you guys back in your little bubble now; sorry for interrupting the blissful but blinkered consensus.
    Ooh, ironic, that.

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

smacl wrote: »
    Really??? A quick google shows the story is still available at metro.co.uk here, leeds live here, liberal.ie here and buzz.ie here. Metro article also covers "How Tommy Robinson could have helped keep Huddersfield rape gang on UK streets" and the chats with Assange.

Just FYI, theliberal.ie (run by Cora Sherlocks brother) isn't a site to be using for your argument. They regularly post stories that have been lifted from other news sites (and have been found guilty of copyright) or entirely fictional 'news' stories.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Delirium wrote: »
    Just FYI, theliberal.ie (run by Cora Sherlocks brother) isn't a site to be using for your argument. They regularly post stories that have been lifted from other news sites (and have been found guilty of copyright) or entirely fictional 'news' stories.

Something of a cut and paste story for many of the media outlets at a guess and difficult to prove the veracity of it as a prisoner assaulting another prisoner is hardly going to admit liability. I can't see the the prison authorities being likely to comment on it either. That said, SYL/TR's version of events, as a convicted fraudster, would also be highly dubious.

Russia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs is watching the UK's treatment of SYL/TR - to ensure the "immutability of high human rights standards" no less!

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1159807581763854341

• Advertisement

Gemma O'Doherty, has spent been down outside Google's Irish offices protesting at having her youtube account shut down. She has also made a series of racist comments against Hazel Chu, a Green party Councillor, so there's a short march today from Irishtown Garda station up to Google's offices

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1159395365633871872

Never one to stay around when one could run away instead, Gemma has advised her small band of unhappy followers to abandon their posts:

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1160105355021561856

Things are so bad for Mr Yaxley-Lennon, that he's now visiting Moscow and St Petersburg with a view, amongst much else, to landing a paying gig with state propaganda outlet, RT. One of his contacts there is Alexander Malkevich, a player in Russia's ongoing online troll-war against the EU, NATO and the US.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/02/23/rape-of-britain-russia-rolls-out-red-carpet-for-tommy-robinson/

Separately, somebody leaked the online Style Guide for the neo-Nazi site, Daily Stormer to HuffPost's Ashley Feinberg. The guide is here, and it's certainly worth a read to see how common the style and tropes it recommends have become in recent years:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4325810/Writers.pdf

In this time of universal peace and restraint on social media, and under the benevolent guidance of free-wheeling, all-around genius and part-time space-Karen, Mr Elon Musk, Mr S Yaxley-Lennon and Ms K Hopkins, both staunch defenders of the right to free speech, if you're angry and white-skinned anyway, have had their twitter accounts reinstated. Can only be a matter of time before Gemmaroid gets the keys back to her account.

https://twitter.com/KTHopkins, https://twitter.com/trobinsonnewera

The flight of sane users and advertisers will only accelerate. But this guy is a business genius...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think plenty will remain until he makes the stupid decision to charge or he strips the free site too much that people leave over paying.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

[Hotblack] The flight of sane users and advertisers will only accelerate. But this guy is a business genius...

Fresh from telling his major sources of revenue to go f*ck themselves a couple of weeks after the above, business genius now reinstates Alex Jones, the kind of man who brings the phrase "white trash" into disrepute.

Don't know about any of you guys, but I'm hanging up my Twitter hat on this unsandy hook and heading over to bsky.app.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67673623

Closed mine months ago - hardly ever used it anyway.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Makes perfect business sense, if your user base is rapidly becoming only cúnts and the mentally challenged.

Advertisement