Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insoluble fibre question

Options
  • 09-06-2016 11:20pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Say I eat 100g of chia seeds. That's 486 calories. But 34g of that intake is insoluble fibre. Does that mean I could subtract the calories from fibre, or do they still count in the same way as all other calories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Interesting!!

I had a google
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-does-fiber-count-in-calories.html

Not really conclusive though

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I personally count all the calories, including fibre. I'd rather be taking in too little and have a happy surprise on the scales than taking in too many calories because of tracking them in that detail.

Also, on my packet of chia seeds (two different brands) it recommends not eating more than 15g per day. I am sure you're just using 100g as an example but please don't eat 100g of chia seeds!

So, if you are eating 15g of chia seeds that's a difference of about 25 calories between fibre and non-fibre tracking, which is pretty negligible I think. Just do whichever is less effort, I know I'd rather over-estimate at 75 cals than 50 cals and without having to work out fibre and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

For the system to make any sense, they must be taking the fibre into account. Water has no calories, and most food has a high water content - do we subtract the water weight from the 100g before we calculate calories?

No.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Also, on my packet of chia seeds (two different brands) it recommends not eating more than 15g per day. I am sure you're just using 100g as an example but please don't eat 100g of chia seeds!

Haha I am definitely just using it as an example :D:D

We can assume that caloric values are calculated to include the calories from fibre, but it's just an interesting perspective that those calories may not actually "count" as far as being usable for energy.

Overall, it is very negligible, but it just speaks to how all calories are not equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

When they calculate the calories for food they modify the results depending on how much fat/protein/carb etc is in the food. I would be shocked if they didn't subtract the fibre (they've already accounted for it, if you will).

I'm sure there is a wide margin of error on the nutritional info panel on food packaging but it's not because of fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Depends on where in the World you are I believe

If im not mistaken in the US you can..whereas in the EU its usually already subtracted (This is my understanding, Open to correction)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

pone2012 wrote: »
    If im not mistaken in the US you can..whereas in the EU its usually already subtracted (This is my understanding, Open to correction)

I just did a quick check (and I emphasize quick!)..

Chia Bia Milled Chia Seeds (a European product): 418kcal and 33g of fibre per 100g amount

Bob's Red Mill Chia Seed (a US product): 538kcal and 38g of fiber per 100g amount

Nutiva Organic Black Chia Seeds (a US product): 500kcal and 42g of fiber per 100g amount

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In the US fibre is listed as a carb. So it has to be subtracted from the total carbs to get the net (true) carb amount. It that situation it appears it's also contributes to the calorie count at a rate of about 4cals per gram.

In Europe they display net carbs. And it may or may not contribute to the total cals.

Fiver isn't always calorie neutral

Advertisement