Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post recession clothes shopping

• 18-02-2016 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Right so I'll start out by saying I was never into designer clothes or high fashion but if I needed something I bought it.
    During the recession when me and hubby were both on the dole the first place I looked for any new clothing for myself was the charity shops, I mean I was the charity shop queen! I've gotten some great clothes, the most expensive being a dress I bought for a friends wedding for a tenner.
    So hubby got a job a few months back, I've gradually been loosing weight and on Tue decided I was in bad need of a few bits, off I went to Dunne's and just couldn't bring myself to spend 25 euro on a shirt, looked at a coat and it was 70, nearly fell over!!!
    So I'm kinda looking for a bit of feedback from you lot, I can afford to spend a bit on myself now but should I? Do I really want a shirt for 25 quid but I could go to the charity shop and pick one up for a couple of quid? Has anybody else forgotten how to spend money or is it just me??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Go to Army Bargains ,,kit yourself out as a German light infantry man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I was lucky enough to kind of ride out the recession in a reasonably decent job and only in the last couple of years I've had to start teaching myself to stop spending money on shite I don't need.

Not making out that I am, or was ever, rich and buying lavish things, but I was never careful with money and I'm just sort of coming from the opposite direction to yourself. I'd be wondering - why change? If you have a bit of money now, but you were happy with what you were buying in the charity shops, why not carry on doing so and use the money for something else?

Seems like you've managed to escape the materialist attitude that the whole universe seems to be pushing on us, I wouldn't be so eager to dive back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I do still have an old army jacket I bought as a teenager, damn I was so cool back then....

Seems like you've managed to escape the materialist attitude that the whole universe seems to be pushing on us, I wouldn't be so eager to dive back in.

Yeah you're right, I did buy new clothes the last day but they came off the sale rail, seven quid for a pair of trousers was a splurge for me but damn it they look good on me

I'm surely not the only one who thinks a 25 euro shirt is hardly decadent?

I would have thought it's cheap. Not charity shop cheap, but hardly a splurge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Mein Fuhrer! You have returned! When do we strike at Poland?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Jim79

OP the marketers of the world are telling you to SPEND SPEND. but your mind is saying this is silly. i would listen to your mind; Not expose on tv3 (or who ever) telling you this dress is a snip at €300. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

If you're looking to treat yourself do it with gay abandon. It's alright I can say that. You do not need permission from the Internet. As for the crowd in here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I know what you mean OP. In my mid-20s I took a career change that meant I don't make as much money as I used to. So I kinda went back to the shopping habits I had as a student. I really only bought clothes in sales or cheaper shops. And if it was cheap, I'd buy it - regardless of whether I actually liked it.

It's only in the last year or so that I've let myself spend a little more on clothes that I like and make me feel good. I still don't spend much, but if I love something I'll buy it, even if there's a cheaper but not as nice option I could go for.

So I reckon if you like the clothes, fire ahead and spend the money, don't feel a bit guilty. You'll probably be so chuffed with them that you'll wear them all the time and get the value out of them. But if you don't like them, no point in spending the money just because you can - charity shops are the business! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

You are really only paying for the label in any designer outfits - neither the quality or the durability is as high as the price!

I used to shop a lot in the charity shops when I was younger - you were always destined to find something unusual for a bargain. However I despise those charity shops posing as some retro outfit who charges lots of money for tat -

Like you OP I wouldn't justify 25 EUR for a shirt in Dunne's - especially when you'd get a better fit and style in Penny's for more than half that! I'm a real cheapskate!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If you like the shirt and can afford it then buy it. 25 euro is hardly a fortune. What's the point in agonizing over the littlest decisions and feeling guilty, life's too short!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I can't remember the last time I spent less than twice that amount on an item of clothing that wasn't socks or underwear. 25 is quite cheap for a shirt OP.

ceadaoin. wrote:
    If you like the shirt and can afford it then buy it. 25 euro is hardly a fortune. What's the point in agonizing over the littlest decisions and feeling guilty, life's too short!

Don't feel guilty just don't see the point of it, I always buy good shoes and boots, never scrimp on anything that separates you from the ground, but why spend 25 for a shirt when I know I can get one for a fiver that's the same or better quality.
    Sister always said "Eww what if somebody died in that" my answer was well if they're dead they don't need it anymore do they!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Pretzill wrote: »
    You are really only paying for the label in any designer outfits - neither the quality or the durability is as high as the price!

I used to shop a lot in the charity shops when I was younger - you were always destined to find something unusual for a bargain. However I despise those charity shops posing as some retro outfit who charges lots of money for tat -

Like you OP I wouldn't justify 25 EUR for a shirt in Dunne's - especially when you'd get a better fit and style in Penny's for more than half that! I'm a real cheapskate!!

Sorry, but there is an ocean of difference between the quality and fit of something from Penneys - or even Dunnes - and something from a more quality label. In fact, I don't even think most of Penneys clothes are actually made for normal shaped human beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Socks would probably be the dearest thing I buy. You wouldn't skimp on horseshoes for a prize horse.

Sorry, but there is an ocean of difference between the quality and fit of something from Penneys - or even Dunnes - and something from a more quality label. In fact, I don't even think most of Penneys clothes are actually made for normal shaped human beings.

It all depends on what you like and how much you want to spend at the end of the day. I wouldn't see a world of difference between Penny's or Dunne's - River Island, et Al - just some clothes shops take the Mickey when it comes to price - I'm petite (in parts) and perhaps that's why I find Penny's a better fit.

But like someone else said I wouldn't scrimp on a good pair of shoes or a decent winter jacket!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Post recession?
    I can only speak for myself obviously but I'm still broke. The idea of spending €25 on myself is still not something even on the horizon. The last thing I got for myself was a pair of maternity tops, €12 for two.

Post recession? I can only speak for myself obviously but I'm still broke. The idea of spending €25 on myself is still not something even on the horizon. The last thing I got for myself was a pair of maternity tops, €12 for two.

Well post recession for me I should have said. Still not flush like but we do have a bit of money left over at the end of our month instead of month left over at the end of our money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I love buying clothes but really I'm not a fan of really expensive clothes because after a couple of times I probably wouldn't wear it again. I love asos, misguided, boohoo, Zara, miss selfridges and river island. I like pennies, and think for what you're paying for, it's grand. If I really liked something, then I wouldn't mind spending extra. I adore shoes, and I would prefer to save up and buy designer than buy a pair in pennies, though that said I like pennies shoes for a random night out.

It's all well and good being careful with money but don't deprive yourself of something if you really like or need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Don't feel guilty just don't see the point of it, I always buy good shoes and boots, never scrimp on anything that separates you from the ground, but why spend 25 for a shirt when I know I can get one for a fiver that's the same or better quality.
    Sister always said "Eww what if somebody died in that" my answer was well if they're dead they don't need it anymore do they!

How do you know you can get one though? I've never seen anything I like in a charity shop and if I did it's not guaranteed to be in my size anyway. I'd rather not spend ages rifling through musty clothing trying to find something that I like and that fits when for a fraction of the price more I can just something from multitude of styles to my taste and pick out my size.

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote:
    How do you know you can get one though? I've never seen anything I like in a charity shop and if I did it's not guaranteed to be in my size anyway. I'd rather not spend ages rifling through musty clothing trying to find something that I like and that fits when for a fraction of the price more I can just something from multitude of styles to my taste and pick out my size.

I suppose I've always been lucky, always find something I like, I'd say it helps that I've always gone for more timeless styles rather than something fashionable. As the time, at the minute I'm not working, not a fan of the soaps so rooting round musty shops gives me something to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BurpsyMcWindyPops

I'm not big into clothes shopping (though I love clothes) and don't like the idea of disposable fashion but if I really like something, I'll almost always get it eventually. I was humming and hawing over a leather bag on sale a few weeks ago going in everyday to look at it. I absolutely loved it but felt guilty for spending what I perceived to be a lot (60 Euro on sale) 'till I finally coped myself on and bought the damn thing; I know I'll use it daily for a few years and I work hard so why not treat myself!

If you're not a big spender and don't treat yourself often and you like the shirt, then get it! 25 Euro really isn't much at all. It's nice to treat yourself - if you don't, who else will? Life isn't all about scrimping and saving and sacrificing and enduring all the time - you have to be good to yourself on a fairly regular basis or else what's the point? That doesn't necessarily mean spending money on clothes but doing something nice for yourself that makes you feel good is one of the simple pleasures of life - you'll be long dead as one auld woman with a bit of sense said once.

I don't think 25€ for a decent shirt is at all expensive. I used to spend a fortune on clothes. Luckily they aged well and I still get lots of wear out of them, especially coats. These days it's a fairly mixed bag for me. A 3€ skirt underneath a 300€ coat. Tis all the same to me now.

Everyone has a different standard and their own sense of value when it comes to clothes shopping. I know people who would be horrified at spending 20e on a pair of shoes let alone 200e.

If you have the money OP and you see something you like then go for it :)

Candie wrote: »

Yeah I think one I got from Next recently was 35 or more
    Good quality though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You get what you pay for I would prefer to pay a fiver in a charity shop for a pre loved brand shirt than a rag for a score in dunnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

You get what you pay for I would prefer to pay a fiver in a charity shop for a pre loved brand shirt than a rag for a score in dunnes

Unless you go to the hand-made level there is sod all difference between Pennys/supermarket brands and named brands. All you get for the extra cash is a label, they are all mass produced in cheap labour sweatshops with the cheapest possible materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I would much prefer I good quality, good condition second hand item that fits well than crap from Dunnes/Penneys. I don't think €25 is expensive for a shirt, but it is too expensive for the quality of shirt your likely to get in Dunnes/Penneys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Not all charity shops are the same either. Generally ones in or near more well-heeled neighbourhoods will have better stuff, and plenty have more clued-in staff who'll know when something's worth more and charge accordingly...but some don't.

There's a class one in Galway, I got a very fcuking high quality coat there for €12. And there's one across the road from me where you can hardly move it's so packed, mostly with tat, but sometimes I spend a half hour or so in there and come out with something good. I enjoy charity shops though, if you didn't then it definitely wouldn't be worth the effort. I get probably 3/4 of my clothes there, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm a guy and I'd shop almost anywhere. I'd shop in penny's, Dunnes, River Island, Next, Debenhams,local shops, anywhere really to be honest and I'd have a look at supermarkets.
    I do think mens wear in Dunnes can be boring/dated. It just does nothing for me in generally. I did see a coat there before Christmas that I liked but it was around €200. I have other coats and I said to myself if I really wanted to spend that much on a coat I'd look a bit different.
    My mother used shop in Dunnes and she says it's a lot more expensive now and nothing special really.
    I personally have never seen anything special in local charity shops.
    I've very short legs which doesn't help I suppose when it comes to sizes and shopping in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I always buy my clothes at 50-70% off, decent threads at bargain price. Haven't spent more than 17 euro on a shirt in years......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't really understand the issue - is it that you think you shouldn't be in charity shops any more now that you have money? Why not?

If you find something you like and you can afford it, then buy it. What does it matter where you are?

Is it not that simple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BurpsyMcWindyPops

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't really understand the issue - is it that you think you shouldn't be in charity shops any more now that you have money? Why not?

If you find something you like and you can afford it, then buy it. What does it matter where you are?

Is it not that simple?

More that she's so used to not spending very much on clothes that she feels guilty now that she can. That's how I understand it.

I'd say a lot of people feel guilty spending money on themselves - I get a pang of guilt almost every time. Illogical but there ye go!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've found that as I've been able to afford more expensive clothes over the years, and taken care of them, that they last longer.

A cashmere/lambswool jumper lasts longer than a cotton mix/acrylic sweater from Gap.

I shop a lot in outlets and that makes a big difference.

I also shop in charity shops, have a Furla bag I got for €3, but when I'm shopping it's on quality of the item, and when I have to I'll pay for that.

Just very recently, I'd a light suit I bought in French Connection on sale for €150 7 years ago hit the bin. The trousers basically disintegrated.

However I wore those trousers every week, for seven years to work

So given that the 150 included two pairs of trousers, and a jacket, I got seven years of wear one day a week for 50.

So going on say 40 weeks a year, that's 280 days wear out of each pair of trousers for 50 euro.

A ten euro pair of trousers in Pennys would never have that longevity imo.

I have stuff like undervests/tops that I get in Dunnes and they need to be replaced regularly, unlike the more expensive clothing I have which last through multiple laundries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Candie wrote: »

Thinly disguised "I seem to be considerably richer than you, and think that 25 yoyos is in fact cheap for a shirt, you peasants" post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

That is so true - Penneys opened here recently in Boston as Primark, and I never saw such tat in my life. Fine if you are 13, I guess, but I'd rather buy fewer clothes of higher quality and better fit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Joe prim wrote: »
    Thinly disguised "I seem to be considerably richer than you, and think that 25 yoyos is in fact cheap for a shirt, you peasants" post

I'd say "thinly disguised, having the cop on that paying a little more for an item may mean seven years wear, rather than seven months wear" from that item.

Which sounds better to you?

But would you not want more wear out of something you paid more for - as someone else said most of these clothes are made in the same sweat
    shops! Pay whatever you like, if you have it to spare, but don't be fooled by branding - Or do, sure many are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My mother used shop in Dunnes and she says it's a lot more expensive now and nothing special really.

Dunnes have gone down a really odd route of diffusion lines for mad money recently. It seems like a bonkers business model to me.

On the general topic in hand, though: spend money on classic staples. Buy seasonal/"on trend" stuff as cheaply as possible. I do most of my shopping in Penneys but I spent over a hundred quid on a tailored white shirt for a friend of mine last year.

Dial Hard wrote: »

On the general topic in hand, though: spend money on classic staples. Buy seasonal/"on trend" stuff as cheaply as possible. I do most of my shopping in Penneys but I spent over a hundred quid on a tailored white shirt for a friend of mine last year.

This exactly what I do.

I have four pairs of work trousers, and two suits.

All of them came from Kildare or Banbridge outlet, and probably cost about €600 for the lot.

They are the basis of my work clothes, and I have them all at least two years.

They get combined with good quality pure wool/cashmere jumpers, then I have a load of utility tops/undertops that I wear on more casual days with them.

Pretzill wrote: »
    But would you not want more wear out of something you paid more for - as someone else said most of these clothes are made in the same sweat
    shops! Pay whatever you like, if you have it to spare, but don't be fooled by branding - Or do, sure many are!

I generally do get more wear out of something I paid more for. The fabric is higher quality and so is the finish. But those are things I check before I buy, the label means nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Dial Hard wrote: »

One of the UK consumer programmes earlier this week did a comparison between a c£100 shirt from some designer store and a cheap one and the cheap one turned out to be harder wearing and no worse in any other garment lab test. The expensive one did have a coating on it that made it feel better to the touch when new but after washing it felt the same as the cheaper one.
    Says it all about designer labels really.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    One of the UK consumer programmes earlier this week did a comparison between a c£100 shirt from some designer store and a cheap one and the cheap one turned out to be harder wearing and no worse in any other garment lab test. The expensive one did have a coating on it that made it feel better to the touch when new but after washing it felt the same as the cheaper one.
    Says it all about designer labels really.

There's a difference between pure wool trousers and 100% acrylic

That's what I based my buying decisions on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Stheno wrote: »

Definitely. Labels can be a rough guide, but it's better to pay attention to fabric and stitching. Even the high street places, some of them (like New Look and Topshop) seem to have different suppliers, you could get two things for near the same price in there and one would be falling apart in a couple of months while the other will go the distance.

Stheno wrote: »

There certainly is - not only in look and wear, but in how they feel! I need to have "good" clothes for work, and I'd rather have one or good pairs of wool trousers, and get them tailored for a perfect fit, than have 10 so-so pairs.

I'm perfectly willing to buy cheap jeans, though, if they fit well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm a guy with short legs and if I need a pair of jeans/chinos the one shop I find always has a 30 leg is Penneys.
    I remember when in school had getting the really expensive school pants and they used make me really itchy and I unsent have this problem with cheaper school pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Unless you go to the hand-made level there is sod all difference between Pennys/supermarket brands and named brands. All you get for the extra cash is a label, they are all mass produced in cheap labour sweatshops with the cheapest possible materials.

I suppose it varies from one label to another. I have a few TM Lewin casual shirts that I bought for around €25 each and to be honest they're nothing special. Thin material that wrinkles easy and small, wimpy collars that don't stand up at all. I recently bought three Gant shirts from a factory seconds outlet on eBay and they are a million times better. Lovely weight and feel to the material and proper tall collars. Barely need to be ironed. I don't give a damn about labels - I'll be getting my tailor to remove the pockets anyway so the shirts will be logo free.

I suppose what I really wanted to know was if anybody else has forgotten how to spend money. 25 quid for a poor quality shirt makes no sense to me, I do have a few bits of disposable clothing from Penny's, cheap and wears out after a couple of washes, but I also have cheap clothes from Penny's that I've had for years and they're still going strong.
    Don't think I'll ever give up my charity shops, found too many beautiful bits that I've not seen on anybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Looked at prices in Dunnes sales and wondered how anyone especially pensioners etc could afford to dress.. Home made here, from remnants and ends of rolls and charity shops, Feet too sore for proper shoes so am wearing Aldi clogs . The most expensive things I buy are socks..But then I am home almost all the time so no appearances to keep up; one " good set" for public appearances! Else warmth and comfort

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I generally shop online, decided to treat myself last week with the following:

3xPairs of Jeans (6th Sense, Jack&Jones)
    4xHoodies (Jack&Jones and Lonsdale)
    2x Pairs of Runners (Kappa, They are on sale in shops here for €40 each)
    1x Heavy winter paraka (Jack&Jones)
    A few T-shirts and Jocks and stuff

Just worked out the price and with delivery I spent a total of €120 and everything I bought was brand names.

Conclusion: Online is far cheaper for shopping :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Dunnes seems to have gotten notions lately, all their stuff is gone so dear! Penneys stuff is the same quality for half the price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement