Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condolence threads in AH

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Can there not be a way for posters to disable their signature when posting their condolences?

RIP with a link to a toaster for sale or some "hilarious" one liner underneath is really very tacky and insensitive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There's a little tickbox next to the quick reply that says "show your signature"

You untick that it doesn't show it.

Mods can edit this out too I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Can there not be a way for posters to disable their signature when posting their condolences?

RIP with a link to a toaster for sale or some "hilarious" one liner underneath is really very tacky and insensitive.

If you don't want to see signatures, you can disable them in your control panel: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

In the "Thread Display Options" section.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

There are two very distinct forms of threads:

The Condolence thread where posters show their appreciation of the deceased and offer condolences to the relatives/family/friends.

Discussion thread where users discuss the life and work or the circumstances of death of the deceased.

Two completely different animals imho. The problem was, some posters were havign trouble telling the difference between the two and were posting negative comments among the "RIP" posts which only served to antagonise the posters (understandably) and kicked off flame wars IN the condolence thread.

Admin reaction was, lets not be dicks and troll condolence threads. Mod reaction was, thats a bit unfair to users who have to read praise for people they probably had serious issue with.

compromise was:
    Condolence threads either get moved to the condolences forum or the mods police it to avoid trolls/muppetry.

Death discussion threads are the remit of the mods.

The result: AH now has death discussion threads and condolences should be made elsewhere. So, to answer the example above,

Maggie Thatcher pops her clogs and a condolence thread is started in AH with teh title Condolence thread: Margaret Thatcher RIP > then the users have enough cop and enough common courtesy to know NOT to troll it and vent their ire but isntead bring it to the mod's attention and it gets moved to the book of condolences forum.

Someone else posts a thread with the title "Margaret Thatcher died this morning" and links to a newspaper article on her life and works then the rest of the users can offer their OPINIONS. They cannot hurl abuse or be dicks but they can express their opinion that maybe the death was not a bad thing or disagree with some aspect of the story or something that another user posted. Similarly, they cannot pull quotes from the Condolence thread and use them to start a debate or as a platform for a rant.

and thats about it really. simples!

as for offensive jokes: thats a very very grey area. exactly what is offensive, whats going too far? Who decides? What do we do if a user thinks its perfectly fine but the mods dont? or another user feels its too far and the mods think its within the bounds of decency? Its hugely tricky. I'll admit, I know that the house party joke in the thread about the taliban beheadings was wrong...but I still smiled and I dont think it was offensive to the public in general (as in being indecent) to to any religion (being blasphemous), it was insensitive and I feel bad for laughing. So, the best thing to do is to keep teh tw oseperate. Sensitive well wishing --> condolence threads , banter and discussion --> discussion threads and never the twain shall meet.

Advertisement