Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water meter criminal damage conviction

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ah yes, funny how the oul Justice system works in Ireland. Meanwhile behind (Court) Door Number 2 a guy gets a suspended sentence for raping his ex-girlfriend while she sleeps.

Priorities eh?

This guy didn't get jail for breaking the water meters either...or did you miss that part? Do you propose we now don't have any cases before our courts that are deemed to be less serious than rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Egginacup wrote: »
    Well the leaflet that was sent out to every sucker in the State clearly read "Your water meter is coming soon".
    So whose meter is it? Did they just print that to give you a warm huggy feeling like you're part of the celebration?

are you being deliberately obtuse? actually, dont bother to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SteM

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Yes we do. One of the biggest arguments form the no side is we already pay for our water through normal taxation and paying an additional water charge is paying twice. This means the folks (like me) who own a private well and have to pay for its's upkeep/maintenance, who pay taxes, are already paying for water we don't receive, in essence subsidising those who receive water from the mains.

Your taxes go into a general pool, not to pay for water you don't receive. If it makes you feel better then you can fool yourself into thinking your taxes pay for hospitals only, something my taxes pay for but never I never use. Doesn't matter because either way the money we're paying as a nation in taxes doesn't come close to what it costs to run the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Well the leaflet that was sent out to every sucker in the State clearly read "Your water meter is coming soon".

You understand when people say 'your Country' or 'your city' they're not actually conferring ownership to you. It's like that.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Eggincup, this is nonesense about paying twice.

They increased VAT and Motor tax rates previously under the guise of additional monies being required for water, but at no time did they actually ring fence the money. They lied about it to soften the blow, what they really wanted was to simply raise taxes.

You already pay Taxes yet are still charged at A&E. You already pay taxes but still have to pay motor tax. You already pay taxes but still have to pay for services like passport, licences etc.

Its is nice slogan but unfortunately doesn't make any sense.

The facts of the matter is that we simply do not raise enough taxes to cover our costs, so if we take it that we already pay for water through tax then by extension, we then need to raise taxes to cover the shortfall. IW is simply (although made complicated by a staggeringly messed up set-up) a way of finally taking water charges out of the governments remit. The theory behind IW is that the monies collected will be ringfenced to being available for water services only.

A simple raise in the level of taxes will leave us in exactly the same position that we are in now.

Utter bollocks. It has cost over 1 billion so far to set up this gravy train of a company and install meters. 10's of millions handed out to "consultants" ...nice work if you can get it. How will that cost be recouped? That's right...it'll be tacked on to your bill, buddy. The honey-pot €130 charge was just a ruse to get saps to sign up but that charge will be hitting in excess of a grand pretty soon. To turn a resource into a commodity and put it in the hands of a private firm means that the company itself is a commodity and can be sold (and will be) to the highest bidder. It's a scam of the basest order and people like yourself who don't want to face this reality are left to bicker about how it's NOT actually a scam but a necessary evil.

You say taxes need to be raised ...then raise them. The water charge is not raising taxes it's privatising a natural resource and selling it back to the people of the country and putting the proceeds into the pockets of shareholders.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Maybe you can explain why people with private wells should also pay for your water?

For the same reason that people without kids still pay for your fcuking brats' education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Are you in support of being robbed or are you just too scared of being called names if you oppose being charged double for the water you use?

You already pay €1.2bn for your water through direct and indirect taxes/VAT.

Can I get a refund for providing my own well and waste water treatment so?

This double taxation argument is spurious at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Can I get a refund for providing my own well and waste water treatment so?

This double taxation argument is spurious at best.

Spurious and immature. The government routinely changes the balance of taxes and charges, if they introduce a parking meter somewhere you cannot just say I am paying for this twice and vandalise the parking meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Yes we do. One of the biggest arguments form the no side is we already pay for our water through normal taxation and paying an additional water charge is paying twice. This means the folks (like me) who own a private well and have to pay for its's upkeep/maintenance, who pay taxes, are already paying for water we don't receive, in essence subsidising those who receive water from the mains.

Exactly.

And all this money we're paying for public services already? Well, we're not paying enough because the country will still be borrowing €6,500,000,000 to pay for public services in 2015 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Mod: Hi, we're not allowing Water meter threads in AH anymore and haven' allowed them for a while.
    Luckily, the Politics Cafe has a giant, huge, mega thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057425934

Please read their charter first: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057425934

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement