Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie (RTE1 Charlie Haughey Drama)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Can't believe this cost €50M to make......

Oh wait, it didn't. That's probably why it's not the incredibly well scripted, acted, historically accurate film with fantastic production values some seem to be expecting. I thought it was pretty good for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I can see the appeal in him by the Irish people.
    Hence the we are where we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

I'm enjoying this so far.

But the funniest moment for me was directly after it finished up. My phone rang.

My father.

Just an aside, my father is Canadian. Before he came to Ireland, he was an avid supporter of the Progressive Conservative Party (that would become the Conservative Party of Canada). When he came to Ireland, he became a supporter of Fianna Fáil, and was a great admirer of Charlie. My own left-leaning ideals led me to shun Fianna Fáil and (for better or worse) support Labour. This led to many an interesting conversation over Sunday dinner, let me tell you.

He is still a die-hard Fianna Fáil-er to this day and gets very bristly and hostile over it. You'd swear he fought alongside Dev in the War of Independence or something the way he goes on.

But anyway, he rings me straight after the credits.

"Did you watch that f*cking hatchet job?!" he screeched at me in that imitable Irish-Canadian accent of his. Followed by a rant that went on for about five minutes about the virtues of Charlie. I swear, I felt the phone melting in my hands.

"At least he had good shirts." was my sarky response.

I enjoyed it, but I enjoyed hearing the father losing his sh*t over it afterwards. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ipso wrote: »
    Hence the we are where we are.

But, we were not far off a 3rd world country back then.

I think people have to realise we were in the early stages of forming a functioning country.

We tend to look back without understanding the cultural values, the time.

It can be a bit simplistic "did he take all that money".

The church and the powerful ran the place, a few quid to each other was the way it was done. The way it is done in Africa now - the way it is done in Russia - we have found out the way even doctors in Greece were not paying tax only 3 or 4 years ago.

Yes it was wrong - but a bit simplistic to not look at overall picture.

But, leadership is what sets the tone. And the FF of late 80s and 90s were much the same.

You hope with time we mature as a nation , but God it is slow - this show is what 1980 - 81,

35 years ago - and we still have the likes of Denis O'Brien - Irish Water going on. sorry - jaysus how could Irish Water come into this :D:p:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

nibble wrote: »
    Can't believe this cost €50M to make......

Oh wait, it didn't. That's probably why it's not the incredibly well scripted, acted, historically accurate film with fantastic production values some seem to be expecting. I thought it was pretty good for what it is.

said to cost 3.7 million http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/who-will-play-haughey-in-4m-tv-story-28849975.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

amdublin wrote: »
    Was Charlie's Ma from Norn Iron???!!!

Never knew that.

So was his Da. They were both from county Derry.

By the way, you know his ma was once married to Sting?

Strange but true ;)

Here's a picture of them together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

1979 was a memorable year for the world and for Ireland. Here are some of the major political events:

3 strong leaders came to power that year: Saddam Hussein, Margaret Thatcher and Charles J Haughey.
    1 weak leader also came to power that year: Shah Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.
    1 weak leader (according to Haughey) also lost power that year: Jack Lynch.
    1 formerly strong/latterly weak leader lost power that year too: Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi.

All of these events played havoc on the world economy. The beginnings of our Middle East problems were sowed: Iran had a weak government that needed a war to survive. Iraq had a strong leader determined to take over his weak neighbour but giving its more sinister background forces in its regime exactly what it needed. Recessions caused by this and other events dogged most of Europe and the US. Thatcher transformed how things were done in the UK and began a divisive figure who many considered was for the rich while against the poor. Her government's solution to the UK's recession was privatisation and this was copied by many others later incl. Fianna Fail! Haughey came to power and wanted to modernise his country: just like Iranian moderates considered overemphasis on religion and hardliner religious politicians as keeping their country back and from reaching its full potential, CJH considered Ireland's lack of technology and the staid nature of overly cautious politicians as stopping it reaching its full potential.

Haughey had a vision for both himself and Ireland. He intended to live the high life akin to a king. He was however also aware of being a strong leader when it came to Northern Ireland. He played the republican card and he also showed he was a moderate for the UK and that he was willing to talk. Few politicians have been able to be able to do this and he set up a unique relationship with Thatcher that was frayed many times but worked other times.

Haughey never quite got the power he desired. He had to wait until 1987 before he would enjoy any significant time in power again post 1981. He would oversee cutbacks similar to those of recent years and he saw the country's tide rising for the better when he left office in 1992. He inspired all the Bertie-era developer culture that ultimately lead to our problems. But he had outlasted all his contemporaries mentioned above who were either dead or out of politics by 1992. Thatcher preceded his leave from office in 1990 for instance.

So, the good Haughey did v the bad. The bad is he certainly inspired corruption and also his attitude bordered on dictatorship especially when he took over first. As can be seen from last night. This is precisely why the actors who played Love/Hate's John Boy and Nidge were perfect to portray Haughey and his sidekick Mara (yes, there is a feel of early Love/Hate here with Nidge working with John Boy!). Love/Hate in suits? Yes. And while we may not see anyone get interrogated in the back of a van or get brought out to the mountains to get shot, we have many of the other elements present worthy of a Nidge or John Boy: paranoia, fear, colourful relations with the IRA, etc.

But we tend to ignore the good. He did help get Ireland out of the recession it was in and avoided the IMF who were about to come in in 1980 and 1987. He set up the social partnership and was able to negotiate. He listened to European leaders and took onboard their successful ideas. He also helped settle the Northern Ireland conflicts and he provided many great books and great dramas like this.

1979-81 was a bleak period. It saw once progressive countries like Iran turned into ruination overnight, it saw the start of revolution in Eastern Europe with riots in Poland, it saw the ongoing troubles in Northern Ireland reach boiling point with the hunger strikers, Ireland/UK relations were very poor, it saw the escalation of other conflicts like Afghanistan and Lebanon, and it saw disasters like Stardust. Not a good period for the world or for Ireland. Arguably, Haughey was the antidote to all this and had a vision and I can do it attitude that inspired. He was progressive, business friendly and innovative. I'm sure Afghans, Iranians and others who suffered from weak governments would have loved a Haughey to save them in 1981. Flawed definitely, but had there been no Haughey would we have ended up similarly as a washed up IMF dependency? Indeed, what if Haughey had been around in 2010? Would we have ended up the same. Flawed and all as Haughey was, I think he would have seen us through. The survivor, the loveable rogue, the boss, the chief, the leader: these are all things Haughey has been called. Rather like JR Ewing from Dallas: he did despicable things often and was ruthless in his dealings but somehow what he did bettered things for not only himself but for Ireland in the longrun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

1979 was a memorable year for the world and for Ireland. Here are some of the major political events:

3 strong leaders came to power that year: Saddam Hussein, Margaret Thatcher and Charles J Haughey.
    1 weak leader also came to power that year: Shah Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.
    1 weak leader (according to Haughey) also lost power that year: Jack Lynch.
    1 formerly strong/latterly weak leader lost power that year too: Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi.

All of these events played havoc on the world economy. The beginnings of our Middle East problems were sowed: Iran had a weak government that needed a war to survive. Iraq had a strong leader determined to take over his weak neighbour but giving its more sinister background forces in its regime exactly what it needed. Recessions caused by this and other events dogged most of Europe and the US. Thatcher transformed how things were done in the UK and began a divisive figure who many considered was for the rich while against the poor. Her government's solution to the UK's recession was privatisation and this was copied by many others later incl. Fianna Fail! Haughey came to power and wanted to modernise his country: just like Iranian moderates considered overemphasis on religion and hardliner religious politicians as keeping their country back and from reaching its full potential, CJH considered Ireland's lack of technology and the staid nature of overly cautious politicians as stopping it reaching its full potential.

Haughey had a vision for both himself and Ireland. He intended to live the high life akin to a king. He was however also aware of being a strong leader when it came to Northern Ireland. He played the republican card and he also showed he was a moderate for the UK and that he was willing to talk. Few politicians have been able to be able to do this and he set up a unique relationship with Thatcher that was frayed many times but worked other times.

Haughey never quite got the power he desired. He had to wait until 1987 before he would enjoy any significant time in power again post 1981. He would oversee cutbacks similar to those of recent years and he saw the country's tide rising for the better when he left office in 1992. He inspired all the Bertie-era developer culture that ultimately lead to our problems. But he had outlasted all his contemporaries mentioned above who were either dead or out of politics by 1992. Thatcher preceded his leave from office in 1990 for instance.

So, the good Haughey did v the bad. The bad is he certainly inspired corruption and also his attitude bordered on dictatorship especially when he took over first. As can be seen from last night. This is precisely why the actors who played Love/Hate's John Boy and Nidge were perfect to portray Haughey and his sidekick Mara (yes, there is a feel of early Love/Hate here with Nidge working with John Boy!). Love/Hate in suits? Yes. And while we may not see anyone get interrogated in the back of a van or get brought out to the mountains to get shot, we have many of the other elements present worthy of a Nidge or John Boy: paranoia, fear, colourful relations with the IRA, etc.

But we tend to ignore the good. He did help get Ireland out of the recession it was in and avoided the IMF who were about to come in in 1980 and 1987. He set up the social partnership and was able to negotiate. He listened to European leaders and took onboard their successful ideas. He also helped settle the Northern Ireland conflicts and he provided many great books and great dramas like this.

1979-81 was a bleak period. It saw once progressive countries like Iran turned into ruination overnight, it saw the start of revolution in Eastern Europe with riots in Poland, it saw the ongoing troubles in Northern Ireland reach boiling point with the hunger strikers, Ireland/UK relations were very poor, it saw the escalation of other conflicts like Afghanistan and Lebanon, and it saw disasters like Stardust. Not a good period for the world or for Ireland. Arguably, Haughey was the antidote to all this and had a vision and I can do it attitude that inspired. He was progressive, business friendly and innovative. I'm sure Afghans, Iranians and others who suffered from weak governments would have loved a Haughey to save them in 1981. Flawed definitely, but had there been no Haughey would we have ended up similarly as a washed up IMF dependency? Indeed, what if Haughey had been around in 2010? Would we have ended up the same. Flawed and all as Haughey was, I think he would have seen us through. The survivor, the loveable rogue, the boss, the chief, the leader: these are all things Haughey has been called. Rather like JR Ewing from Dallas: he did despicable things often and was ruthless in his dealings but somehow what he did bettered things for not only himself but for Ireland in the longrun.

I'll assume that's not a piss take! ^

He spawned Ahern and his ilk.
    He was nothing but a grubby little thief at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Gillian aside I wasn't v impressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Didn't enjoy it, thought the acting was poor and it raced through the plot and characters as if everyone should know about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I'll assume that's not a piss take! ^

He spawned Ahern and his ilk.
    He was nothing but a grubby little thief at the end of the day.

Yes. I agree. Of course, he was a thief and of course, he started all the corruption and gave us Bertie Ahern. But, he had this knack of getting himself and the country in and out of trouble. Which is something Bertie couldn't do. Bertie resigned happy to allow Brian Cowen take the blame and he knew what was coming.

But Haughey was no saint and was still probably the second most corrupt leader we ever had. What he was though was interesting and he also was a political survivor. He was also the nearest we ever got to a fullblown dictator what with all his over the top lifestyle, big house, love of fine wine and clothes and total obsession with power and his way of doing things.

What if Haughey had got his overall majority back in 1981? Would we have seen a dictatorship emerge? Quite possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

All I could see was Nidge with hair.
    Will watch next week but think the acting was good but the script was not the best- main character seemed to be reading the lines - no emotion in the wirds - the way live/hate did it.
    Great to see Irish drama like this too, the bar was set very high with love/hate and Amber from 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I think the production/writers were overconfident in the quality of the script to not have captions underneath the characters as they first appeared on screen... Particularly given that none of the actors looked hugely like their counterparts...

There is a movie called Too Big To Fail, which covers the fall of Lehman Brothers in the US... There is a scene where Hank Paulson and Tim Geithner gather all the heads of the main banks in the US in to one room to discuss how THEY will save Lehmans... As each leader of the each bank walks in to the treasury offices, a caption appears under them saying "John Thain: Merril Lynch", even though i) the actors DO bear a significant resemblance to the real bankers and ii) most of the bankers would have been household names at that stage... This is what they should have done with Charlie...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If Amber set the bar high, why did I feel like I was doing the limbo to watch it?

Quite liked 'Charlie', although it is set up to take on too much in each episode, quite a bit of "meanwhile, back at the ranch" inserts needed.

And what has been mentioned above about Charlie and Bertie is true, however dodgy they were, the country would not have been bounced into spiteful and prohibitive ECB programmes if either of them had been in charge.Both had brazen balls and they would have been useful to the country in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If Amber set the bar high, why did I feel like I was doing the limbo to watch it?

Quite liked 'Charlie', although it is set up to take on too much in each episode, quite a bit of "meanwhile, back at the ranch" inserts needed.

And what has been mentioned above about Charlie and Bertie is true, however dodgy they were, the country would not have been bounced into spiteful and prohibitive ECB programmes if either of them had been in charge.Both had brazen balls and they would have been useful to the country in recent times.

Bertie effectively did. We were bankrupt before he left. He jumped ship

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Strazdas wrote: »
    His approach to the North was a bit too Republican and unrealistic though.....he kept on going about the area being occupied by the British and being "no longer viable as a political entity", when it's still there 35 years later in fact.

They released the cabinet papers from 1984 last week and Garret Fitzgerald was surprisingly impressive when dealing with Thatcher on the issue of the North.

The old Irish political standby when the country is in the ****e, wrap oneself in green and start shouting about the North.

Any links to those cabinet papers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Great to see Irish drama like this too, the bar was set very high with Amber from 2014.

Are you being facetious?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Mixed views on here. I'll be interested to see the TV critics reviews

For me I thought it was very poor (bad script & dire acting). I don't think Gillen captured the charisma of CJH

Also I don't think I've ever watched a programme with my husband where we looking at each other so much and asking "And who is that now"!! Total confusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Without wanting to drag the thread off topic bertie is one of the main reasons the country is on the ****e that it's in now and you want to bring his like back? The Irish public have to be the most fickle voters going.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Didn't watch it but probably will now.

John Murray has just started his morning radio show talking about it - intro/background music very similar to the Downton Abbey music!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

I thought it was great. No negative criticisms at all. Well produced and well scripted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

for my twopence worth i thought it was good, better than i thought it would be

acting & script were fine, loved the jibe about the state of the phone network back then, so true

the bedroom scenes with terry keane were a surprise didn't think rte would have the balls to show it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Just heard there that it's being reviewed by Des Peelo, Mary O'Rourke and some other person on the Sean O'Rourke Show at 10am on Radio 1.... Interested to hear what mammy thought of the portrayal of Brian Lenihan... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I thought whoever did the Fitzgerald voice was good.

I think it was Fitzgerald

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Mixed views on here. I'll be interested to see the TV critics reviews

For me I thought it was very poor (bad script & dire acting). I don't think Gillen captured the charisma of CJH
    Do you think so? I think Gillen is good as CJ.
    I thought the bit when he compared himself to Napoleon when talking to Des Traynor captured his arrogance brilliantly .......... "Napoleon didnt consult his ****ing accountant before going into battle"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

It looked good and the acting was...ok, but the script was really poor for the most part. Very disappointing. In answer to a point raised elsewhere in the thread, whatever about the production values of a show, a good script doesn't have to cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

amdublin wrote: »
    I think Charlie is a little too small/slight.

While Gillen and Haughey may be similar in height I think it is the size of Gillen's head that is not right.

Seriously, looking back at a documentary on Youtube - Charlie's head is HUGE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

What part of fiddling estimates, agreeing 'partnership' pay rises that couldn't be financed, doing 'Gregory' deals, setting up Ansbacher accounts, phone-tapping, playing to the lowest form of Republican morons that only got Unionist and Conservatives backs up do you think was his most useful trait?

My arms are sore this morning. Before I went to bed last I had to spend 10 minutes shadow-boxing violently imagining I was punching that little fugger's nose straight. I wouldn't have been able to sleep otherwise with the violence that little cnut provokes in in me.

Fair play to all concerned. You could make a three part series about a day in politics in the 80's. I think they've done a great job in the circumstances. It really could have rivalled House of cards if they had the budget to do it but they would never have recouped the cost because foreigners would have found it too grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,327 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The old Irish political standby when the country is in the ****e, wrap oneself in green and start shouting about the North.

Any links to those cabinet papers

Here you go :

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/27/margaret-thatcher-irish-talks-archives

Thatcher seemed amazingly ignorant of Irish affairs but Fitzgerald comes across really well in his dealings with her....intelligent and pragmatic.

Advertisement