Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Expendables 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,490 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mel Gibson and Antonio Banderas in now as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

With all these superstars, one has to wonder whether the budget will stretch to a cinematographer and focus puller this time, since last time filming duties seemed to fall on whatever PA showed up with an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Maybe some of the celebrities will double up. Mel Gibson is going to be key grip and Banderas will be getting everyone's coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a516272/frasier-star-kelsey-grammer-joins-sylvester-stallones-expendables-3.html
    'Frasier' star Kelsey Grammer joins Sylvester Stallone's 'Expendables 3'

The Frasier and Boss actor will take the part of ex-mercenary Bonaparte, who was first intended for Nicolas Cage

I read that Harrison Ford is also going to replace the Bruce Willis character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

This is really turning from big action names to just big names....have they exhausted all 80s action start already?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,878 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

DVD-Lots wrote: »

I hear a Great Escape (Breaking Mr Snpies out of jail maybe).

Another teaser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

"Rated RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I hope they kill off Kellan Lutz in the first five minutes.

• Advertisement

First look at Mel Gibson, Wesley Snipes, Antonio Banderas, Harrison Ford and Kelsey Grammer:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, the impact of the dramatic, punchy graphics listing of all those action stars is lessened somewhat by the presence of Kelsey Grammar among the names :)

I'm going to presume that like the previous films, the appearances of the bigger names (I'm thinking Gibson, Ford, Arnie) will consist of glorified walk-ons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Funny this thread is bumped just after I watched the latest Parks & Rec, which summed up the last film perfectly :pac:

Funny this thread is bumped just after I watched the latest Parks & Rec, which summed up the last film perfectly :pac:

Lets hope we won't be saying the same about GotG:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Looper was a revelation for me regarding Willis. The man looked like he was engaged.

I wonder how that that back to basics Die Hard 6 set in Tokyo involving the Nakatomi corporation is progressing at the moment.

Plus John McTiernan is out of jail after that awful framing/indicement.

There was a great article about him, guy was run through the ringer by making one simple mistake.

I'll try and find the article...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

Did anybody else think that Expendables 2 was a HUGE step-up from the first movie? I left the first very disappointed; the action sequences were the biggest offenders of "shakey-cam" I'd ever seen, could not make out anything that was happening on-screen, story and dialogue were a bit all over the place, even for this type of movie (I'm a huge fan of big dumb action movies btw). By contrast, I really enjoyed the second one, in fact I thought the opening scene was better than anything in the first - really I suppose Expendables 2 was more or less the movie that I was hoping for when I went to see Expendables 1. While I won't go so far as to say I'm very excited about the third, I'll certainly check it out in the cinema when it's in. Delighted Snipes is in, Blade is an old favourite! I also echo the poster who said they'll definitely make him utter some cheesy line about taxes! :D

Not to take things off topic, but did anyone see Escape Plan? Not a great movie by any stretch but I thought Arnie was excellent in it, it left me very hungry for one last great leading role out of him!

• Advertisement

For some strange reason I love the Kelsey Grammer poster. It looks like they are actively trying to appeal to retired men in their 60s who just want to go fly fishing.

New trailer out and it seems to be pretty much more of the same which depending on how you look at it may not be a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well it'll most assuredly be a bad thing. Whether or not it's an enjoyable bad thing is the question. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who's Wesley Snipes gonna fight in this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I like the "Short notice?" line Arnie directs to Harrison Ford....a subtle nod to how Bruce Willis bailed when he wasn't getting enough money and they brought in Ford as replacement

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I still think it's hilarious Kelsey Grammer gets included in the graphic at the end, the one that excitedly boasts the cast list. Whatever about the relative merits of the Expendables franchise, surely we can all agree Grammer has no place in the ensemble?

Muzzle flashes, squibs and vehicles still look CGI'ed, and Stallone still looks like a 67 year old man in denial. Hey ho. I'll be honest though, it's great to see Wesley Snipes back on the screen; sure the man's a tax cheat, but he did a fine job as an action star.

So: anyone want to start a pool on how long the new cameos will last for? Specifically, Harrison Ford. I'm estimating 5 minutes actual screentime, mostly on his own in the cockpit of aircraft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

The trailer for the expendables 2 looked better.

Expendables 3 is shot on digital. Not sure why they would shoot it on digital when the first two were shot on film.

If they want it to look like an 80s movie they should shoot it on film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2333784/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

Expendables 3 is shot on digital. Not sure why they would shoot it on digital when the first two were shot on film.

If they want it to look like an 80s movie they should of shot it on film.

Snipes gets his
    Jailbreak
    It was always going to happen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Who's Wesley Snipes gonna fight in this one?

If his past is anything to go by, the crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PartnerSeeds

Thought Wesley was class in Demolition Man

Can't believe that movie is 20 years old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Jumboman wrote: »

If they want it to look like an 80s movie they should of shot it on film.

Doesnt matter, they don't resemble anything like 80's movies, that went out of the window after the concept it appears

Been given a PG-13 for "violence including intense sustained gun battles and fight scenes, and for language". Most will no doubt start spouting nonsense about how the film is ruined and how the classics were never PG-13, forgetting that most of the 80s classics have had their certs lowered in recent years.

I have big hopes for part 3 thanks to the fact that it was directed by Patrick Hughes. Red Hill was a great film with some really well handled action so I'm hoping that this time around we will see well staged action.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Been given a PG-13 for "violence including intense sustained gun battles and fight scenes, and for language". Most will no doubt start spouting nonsense about how the film is ruined and how the classics were never PG-13, forgetting that most of the 80s classics have had their certs lowered in recent years.

I have big hopes for part 3 thanks to the fact that it was directed by Patrick Hughes. Red Hill was a great film with some really well handled action so I'm hoping that this time around we will see well staged action.

PG13, that has to be a joke.
    Then again no one should be surprised as everything about this movie looks like it's desperately trying to be a Fast And Furious movie.
    I also wouldn't be excited for the director as I would assume he had no control over the project at all like what happened to the director of Robocop.

• Advertisement

ps3lover wrote: »
    PG13, that has to be a joke.
    Then again no one should be surprised as everything about this movie looks like it's desperately trying to be a Fast And Furious movie.
    I also wouldn't be excited for the director as I would assume he had no control over the project at all like what happened to the director of Robocop.

PG-13 is hardly the death knell many are making it out to be, honestly the previous two films had little to justify the R rating. Both Olympus Has Fallen and The Last Stand were both 15A here yet contained considerably more violence that either the Expendables films. Actually thinking about it, I'm almost certain that The Expendables was 15A here also so I can see the film not being as sanitized as many assume.

PG-13 is hardly the death knell many are making it out to be, honestly the previous two films had little to justify the R rating. Both Olympus Has Fallen and The Last Stand were both 15A here yet contained considerably more violence that either the Expendables films. Actually thinking about it, I'm almost certain that The Expendables was 15A here also so I can see the film not being as sanitized as many assume.

The first 2 Expendables movies where pretty terrible, especially the second one. Other than the Warning Shot scene, there is nothing memorable about either movie. If they where the same movies with unknown actors they would have both gone DTV.
    This franchise has been a big disappointment from the first movie. When parts 1 and 2 came out, people where excitedly talking about them for months before release. I'm hardly seeing anyone talk about this one. Sure look at this here message board, hardly any posts about the movie in 3 months. I think people where disappointed by the first two and have jumped ship on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

The first 2 Expendables movies where pretty terrible, especially the second one. Other than the Warning Shot scene, there is nothing memorable about either movie. If they where the same movies with unknown actors they would have both gone DTV.
    This franchise has been a big disappointment from the first movie. When parts 1 and 2 came out, people where excitedly talking about them for months before release. I'm hardly seeing anyone talk about this one. Sure look at this here message board, hardly any posts about the movie in 3 months. I think people where disappointed by the first two and have jumped ship on this one.

The scene from the first movie where Terry Crews runs through the tunnel with a shotgun was very memorable. Absolutely hilarious stuff!

The scene from the first movie where Terry Crews runs through the tunnel with a shotgun was very memorable. Absolutely hilarious stuff!

I haven't seen the movie since it came out in cinemas so I don't remember this scene at all. For me the only part I recall was the warning shot bit. That happens at the beginning of the first movie and the series never topped it.

New tv trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

I haven't seen the movie since it came out in cinemas so I don't remember this scene at all. For me the only part I recall was the warning shot bit. That happens at the beginning of the first movie and the series never topped it.

This was towards the end of the movie during the big shoot out. I'd recommend giving it another go :D

New tv trailer.

Yup Fast & Furious 7.

If an action goon is going to ape any franchise then the Fast and the Furious the one to beat. It's easily the most enjoyable dumb fun out there and is getting better with each new release. Is not big or clever, it's just a lot of fun and is perfect summer blockbuster fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Funny enough I loved the first movie, it had a real 80's charm to it that I thought was lost in the second one - which was very watchable but not brilliant. That tunnel scene with Terry Crews in the first one....:D

• Advertisement

I really get the feeling Lionsgate feel this movie is a dud. How else do you explain the awful marketing campaign behind it. The posters they have been putting out are dreadful. Not to mention the marketing came late in the summer, since this is the only movie Lionsgate have this summer they should have been pushing the marketing since May.

X-Men: Days of Future Past had a terrible marketing campaign with posters ten times worse than those for Expendables 3. I imagine that the lack of a huge marketing campaign is because ad space during the World Cup is at a premium and Lionsgates aren't going to pump $100million into marketing a film that will likely pull in under $400 million worldwide. Both cinemas here have posters up for the film and they've been playing the trailer for the past few months so there's not a whole lot else they can do. I imagine that we will see a number of TV spots in the coming weeks and that's all they really need. At this stage they aren't going to attract many new people to the series, it's going to be a film that is watched by those who saw the first two and it's on DVD and Blu-Ray where the film will really clean up

X-Men: Days of Future Past had a terrible marketing campaign with posters ten times worse than those for Expendables 3. I imagine that the lack of a huge marketing campaign is because ad space during the World Cup is at a premium and Lionsgates aren't going to pump $100million into marketing a film that will likely pull in under $400 million worldwide. Both cinemas here have posters up for the film and they've been playing the trailer for the past few months so there's not a whole lot else they can do. I imagine that we will see a number of TV spots in the coming weeks and that's all they really need. At this stage they aren't going to attract many new people to the series, it's going to be a film that is watched by those who saw the first two and it's on DVD and Blu-Ray where the film will really clean up

You think because the first movie made $74 million in dvd and blu ray sales while part 2 did $36 million. That's a massive drop and tells me the auidence isn't interested any more.

You think because the first movie made $74 million in dvd and blu ray sales while part 2 did $36 million. That's a massive drop and tells me the auidence isn't interested any more.

The first film did $275m at the box office the second did $312m at the box office.

No that merely tells you that DVD and Blu-Ray sales in the US dropped but doesn't account for the rise of streaming services and digital downloads aswell as the decline of rental. Between 2010 and the end of 2013 when part 2 hit the home market, rental stores were on their last legs so the figures are skewed due to that. Also remember that those figures only account for US sales so it's impossible to say for certain if the drop off was as substantial.

Also, if the audience wasn't interested anymore, why then did the Expendables 2 sell more tickets than the first one?

No that merely tells you that DVD and Blu-Ray sales in the US dropped but doesn't account for the rise of streaming services and digital downloads aswell as the decline of rental. Between 2010 and the end of 2013 when part 2 hit the home market, rental stores were on their last legs so the figures are skewed due to that. Also remember that those figures only account for US sales so it's impossible to say for certain if the drop off was as substantial.

Also, if the audience wasn't interested anymore, why then did the Expendables 2 sell more tickets than the first one?

When part 2 came out there was still interest but that seems to have died now. I'm seeing no buzz for this movie at all on any message boards or on Facebook or twitter.
    All the forums have a thread for it that gets bumped when the trailer or poster comes out, then dies very quickly.
    The only activity I saw was for the new poster and that was everyone saying how terrible it was.

• Advertisement

When part 2 came out there was still interest but that seems to have died now. I'm seeing no buzz for this movie at all on any message boards or on Facebook or twitter.
    All the forums have a thread for it that gets bumped when the trailer or poster comes out, then dies very quickly.
    The only activity I saw was for the new poster and that was everyone saying how terrible it was.

What else do you expect people to discuss about it? when there is something new people talk about it and when there is no new info the threads are quiet, it occurs with pretty much every film. I imagine that the last film had a bit more talk down to the fact that in the run up to release there was a lot of info coming out about the rating and what exactly was happening. That a fourth film is already in development would hint that there is still a lot of interest in the franchise and I imagine that a lot of people may be holding out to on the film till we get a clarification as to what has been cut. If the home release is substantially different due to cuts forced upon the theatrical release then a lot of people will hold off.

What else do you expect people to discuss about it? when there is something new people talk about it and when there is no new info the threads are quiet, it occurs with pretty much every film. I imagine that the last film had a bit more talk down to the fact that in the run up to release there was a lot of info coming out about the rating and what exactly was happening. That a fourth film is already in development would hint that there is still a lot of interest in the franchise and I imagine that a lot of people may be holding out to on the film till we get a clarification as to what has been cut. If the home release is substantially different due to cuts forced upon the theatrical release then a lot of people will hold off.

Well there have been new tv spots released all week with new footage in them which no one is posting.

Well there have been new tv spots released all week with new footage in them which no one is posting.

There's no need to post every 10 or 20 second clip that appears online recycling the same material. This is a discussion forum, not youtube.

Uh-oh

Not only has the film leaked but I just got a text spoiling a cameo which would have most likely have been the highlight of the film

• Advertisement
Advertisement