Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are The Standards Of Entertainment Dropping?

Options
  • 24-03-2011 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

The internet is wonderful - it allows billions of people to spread their talents and their opinions but has this new influx of "talent" discredited the real abilities of the few? I mean, take music for example - the Bob Dylans, Beatles, Eric Claptons, Michael Jacksons and countless others are substituted for Justin Beibers and Rebecca Blacks...wtf?

The same with entertainment in general - everything is gone PG kinda. Now we have crap like X-Factor on every ten minutes and as soon as it ends, Britains Got Talent starts. Then it's on every magazine and newspaper front page..

The standards of entertainment is severely slipping - or are we going backwards in our evolution to the point that anything literally entertains us...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

The movie Idiocracy hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

You could do what I do and stop caring?

Crap is easily avoided and it's not going anywhere no matter how much you complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

no way the standrads will always be at a high standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Not slipping, just diluted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

the standrads? never heard of 'em, are they any good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

its a dumbing down method for the masses - so they won't be watching what is really going on in the world - get them more interested in the latest "brat" of the season.

Its all manipulated that way - you are told how to think, both in the news and in the entertainment and every other aspect of life. You are monitored through various "social" networks.

thats why you should question everything and believe nothing until you have seen actual proof.

first thing to do is to stop watching crap and believing is anything other than a large business making tons of money from dumbed down entertainment. How do they make their money - by idiots and kids throwing their money at whatever brat they are "promoting" on any given day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Can't see how the internet is to blame. Stock, Aitken and Waterman produced a stable full of atrocities without it. And a lot of the stuff from the seventies was dire - Bay city rollers? The Osmonds?

If people buy/watch the shite it will flourish. Blame the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I liked their early work but they've let their standrads slip as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

its a dumbing down method for the masses - so they won't be watching what is really going on in the world - get them more interested in the latest "brat" of the season.

Its all manipulated that way - you are told how to think, both in the news and in the entertainment and every other aspect of life. You are monitored through various "social" networks.

thats why you should question everything and believe nothing until you have seen actual proof.

first thing to do is to stop watching crap and believing is anything other than a large business making tons of money from dumbed down entertainment. How do they make their money - by idiots and kids throwing their money at whatever brat they are "promoting" on any given day.

I have noticed that the most obsessive, zombie-like, manipulated, masses tend to be the ones who spew out this type of nonsense and definitely not the ones who watch/follow x-factor and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I have noticed that the most obsessive, zombie-like, manipulated, masses tend to be the ones who spew out this type of nonsense and definitely not the ones who watch/follow x-factor and such.

as you wish. :D carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You obviously haven't watched Jersey Shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

Standards will slip for infinity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

J. Marston wrote: »
    You obviously haven't watched Jersey Shore.

So what? It is trash, but for everyone Jersey Shore, you got a Boardwalk Empire. The main reason people think standards are dropping is simply because of the amount of tv stations and programs there are. How many channels are there now compared to twenty years ago? There used to be one mtv, now there about ten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

They probably have...but i'm so easily amused that its hard to tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

So what? It is trash, but for everyone Jersey Shore, you got a Boardwalk Empire. The main reason people think standards are dropping is simply because of the amount of tv stations and programs there are. How many channels are there now compared to twenty years ago? There used to be one mtv, now there about ten.

I think for every BoardWalk Empire, you get at least 20 Jersey Shores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

TheZohan wrote: »

it almost did. it proposed a genetic reason for the dumbing down of society. when in actuality the reason for the dumbing down is environmental. that's how i see it anyway.

being smart has never been 'cool' but it seems like now, in addition to the tendency for kids to want to alienate their more academically successful peers, there's also a disturbing trend towards distrusting science in general. maybe it's an offshoot of distrusting authority figures (i.e. 'the man') but whatever it is, it's sad to see the consequences.

back to the topic though, i like a lot of very stupid entertainment, and a lot of very trashy music, and some very stupid and/or bad movies. it's my right as a person and it does not mean i can't think for myself, nor does it mean i'm stupid. so be careful about deciding to determine a person's general level of awareness/intelligence based on such criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I mean, take music for example - the Bob Dylans, Beatles, Eric Claptons, Michael Jacksons and countless others are substituted for Justin Beibers and Rebecca Blacks...wtf?.

Clapton sucked, Four Tet is awesome, music is as good as it has ever been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The last 10-15 years has been the greatest era for TV with channels like HBO, Showtime etc hosting shows that are the modern equivalent to the great Hollywood 1970s movies. Then in reaction to this, many stations upped the ante and many great shows were aired. It is a cliche to say that TV is where the best writers are these days, but it is partly true.

The Wire, The Sopranos, Arrested Development, Battlestar Gallactica, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The US and UK Offices, Deadwood, Lost, Prison Break season 1, Mad Men, Freaks and Geeks, 30 Rock, South Park, Six Feet Under etc are many examples of the level of quality TV available. All of the above may not match every persons individual tastes, but they are high quality. There are more high quality shows on TV in this era compared to any other era.

As for movies, it has split down the middle into purely blockbusters and low budget art house movies that are Oscar fodder. Personally, some of my favourite movies have been released in the last 10 years. If you only watch brainless entertainment (and we all need that from time-to-time), it is your own fault for ignoring what else is out there. My only issue with movies is the lack of movies with a medium budget as the effects of the marketplace, reduced movie goers etc has taken place. Also, there are more movies out there than Hollywood movies. France, Spain, Germany are all home to thriving movie industries. As is the rest of the world too. If you only watch Hollywood blockbusters, you only have yourself to blame.

There have also been some fantastic books and songs written in this era. The biggest issue is the sheer amount of entertainment available. There are more hours to fill on TV, so there will be more of everything. Crap TV is often the cheapest thing to produce and reaches the mass market much more than what I'd consider "good" TV. Look at how many people watched The Wire when it first aired compared to X-Factor. TG4 are to be forever thanked by me for showing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

smokedeels wrote: »
    Clapton sucked, Four Tet is awesome, music is as good as it has ever been.

Oh no you didn't... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

*fart*

If anyone on the internet laughed at that, then yes the standars have dropped...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

TheZohan wrote: »
    The supposed education level of people doesn't really affect the genes they pass on to their children. People aren't really selecting for stupidity it's just education is poor.

Art in general is up against the wall, music is running out of unique combination of notes so melody wise it will get to the stage where every possible combination of notes has been used essentially turning every song made from that date a remix or rehash of some other song.

It's the same with stories, they're all essentially the same as they're all based on human interaction all that changes is the setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just detune TV3, ITV and MTV from your tv channels and only watch anything made by HBO or AMC, problem solved. Watch The Wire, then The Sopranos, Deadwood, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire, they'll restore your faith in tv as an entertainment medium and not make you feel pandered to. Let the masses enjoy watching bad singers be laughed at by millionaires and scumbag z list celebrites have their 15 minutes.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's the same with stories, they're all essentially the same as they're all based on human interaction all that changes is the setting.

Stories have essentially been repeating the same ideas since Sophocles. Chaucer adapted Boëthius. Shakerspeare adapted Chaucer. David Simon/Roman Polanski/Michael Haneke/Insert Modern Writers Name Here are adapting all of the above. All art forms repeat the same basic story. But the ways of telling the story change with each era and produce unique excellence in their time.

Lets not pretend we are in some special era where it has all been done before. As I say above, there are more than enough excellent forms of entertainment being produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

wurzlitzer wrote: »
    Standards will slip for infinity

The Skeletor hypothesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Can't remember the last time I saw a really great movie. Seems that good plots and good acting (Shawshank Redemption, Usual Suspects, Good Will Hunting, etc.) all came out in the 1990's and now there's just drivel that relies too much purely and computer graphics e.g. Matrix, Avatar and all the Pixar ones.

Just compare all the Oscar nominations and winners for the 90's compared to the 2000's. The 90's had all great stuff like Silence of the Lambs, Goodfellas, Crying Game, Scent of a Woman, Schindler's List, English Patient, etc. 2000's gave us political sh!t because of Bush/War e.g. Munich, Good Night and Good Luck, Crash, etc., etc or all that graphics and animated nonsense e.g. All the Lord of the Rings and Matrix and Crouching Tiger, etc.

For action I did like the Bourne Trilogy but I'm a big Matt Damon fan. You could cast him in crap movie usually set aside for muppets like Kevin Costner or Harrison Ford and I would think it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Can't remember the last time I saw a really great movie. Seems that good plots and good acting (Shawshank Redemption, Usual Suspects, Good Will Hunting, etc.) all came out in the 1990's and now there's just drivel that relies too much purely and computer graphics e.g. Matrix, Avatar and all the Pixar ones.

:eek: Are you cereal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Oh no you didn't... :mad:

Some English lad takes Blues and makes it boring and detached. meh... never did it for me

What about The Departed, True Grit, The Fighter, The Dark Knight/Batman Begins, Toy Story 3, Wall-E, Inception, Shutter Island, Kick Ass, Up In The Air, The Wrestler, Changeling, Waltz With Bashir, Brokeback Mountain, The Prestige, Mulholland Drive, Memento, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Gladiator, Before Sunset, Kill Bill? And that's just a stream of consciousness list. There will be lots more.

Then there is world cinema. L'Enfant, City of God, The Lives of Others, Y Tu Mama Tambien and dozens other fantastic films. It won't hurt you to expand your horizons.

The 1990s was NOT some golden age of film making.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

smokedeels wrote: »
    Some English lad takes Blues and makes it boring and detached. meh... never did it for me

Sorry, nope. Cream was one of the greatest bands of all times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The Jersey Shore and Boardwalk Empire are my two favourite shows.

Yeah Buddy!

Advertisement