Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Living Ireland

Options
  • 01-11-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi, has anyone else received a postcard from the above company to advise that you have won a prize value over €100 and to ring a freephone number? ''*ALL YOU PAY IS POSTAGE & PACKING''
    Apparently Im a 'loyal shoppin customer' although I have never purchased anything with them!
    Curiosity got the better of me so I rang the freephone number and they have no record of my 'prize code' and will call me back, Ive since missed a call from them.
    Just wondered if anyone else has actually claimed a prize and if so what was it?

Thanks! :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

SCAM

Postage & packing will cost €10 - €20 and you will receive a holiday voucher worth €100+ than can only be used against a high price holiday, going first class in 5 star hotel and eating breakfast, lunch, dinner & supper at extra cost etc etc etc.

well, along those lines anyway.

Bin it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If it sounds too good to be true then it very likely is

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cabaal wrote: »
    If it sounds too good to be true then it very likely is

Just remember this throughout your life. It's the best advice anyone can give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Denisejcc wrote: »
    Curiosity got the better of me so I rang the freephone number and they have no record of my 'prize code' and will call me back, ...
    They were probably so surprised that anyone actually fell for this bullsh!t, they probably weren't prepared enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

I didnt exactly ''fall for it'', curiosity got the better of me thats all. I havent followd up on it anyway but was just curios to see if anyone else got this too as I'm not a customer of theirs!

Thanks for the replies! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Laura_Lyons

Hi, I was not a customer of theirs either. Curiousity got the better of me to. So i called. I havent looked at it properly {coz i cant find it} anyway. Theres a €100 voucher for american tours/airlines?? and a few vouchers to stay in hotels in ireland & England for i think 2 people for 2 nights or so. It looked legit. But what has happened with me, they ask you to become a member. I said no not at the moment, its €39.95 for the year and you get a percentage off restaurants, clothes shops, holidays etc. He sent me the info if i ever wanted to join. I just got a bill from my credit card company with a purchase from Classic Living on it. They said they would refund me the money but i have to write a letter to the company to get back the money for them chargeing it to my credit card and interest. Will know tommorow if they refund it.
    Hope this settles your curiousity.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

i took up the "offer" and its grand as long as you cancel within 30days... but if you dont they debit your credit card the full amount and it does give 2 for 1 offers of accommodation etc... but not worth paying an annual fee for.

another thing to be aware... the small print says they reserve the right to transfer all your data to their american head office... there is a cancellation number but when you ring it they say you have rang the wrong number.... i repeated the number to them and eventually i forced them to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Hi, I was not a customer of theirs either. Curiousity got the better of me to. So i called. I havent looked at it properly {coz i cant find it} anyway. Theres a €100 voucher for american tours/airlines?? and a few vouchers to stay in hotels in ireland & England for i think 2 people for 2 nights or so. It looked legit. But what has happened with me, they ask you to become a member. I said no not at the moment, its €39.95 for the year and you get a percentage off restaurants, clothes shops, holidays etc. He sent me the info if i ever wanted to join. I just got a bill from my credit card company with a purchase from Classic Living on it. They said they would refund me the money but i have to write a letter to the company to get back the money for them chargeing it to my credit card and interest. Will know tommorow if they refund it.
    Hope this settles your curiousity.:o

How did they get your card details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Laura_Lyons

To get the vouchers i had to pay €1.50 for p&p. So i stupidly gave them my details. And also i still havent got my money back so everybody stay away from them!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pjc9351

O boy am I so glad for Boards.

I received that post card this morning and I must admit I was curious but decided to google them......and got the boards pieces which I am so glad for.
    I took the advice and binned the card.....so many many thanks to all my boards friends.....lets keep up the great work on this forum

PJC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Did you authorise them to take a payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pjc9351

seagull wrote: »
    Did you authorise them to take a payment?
    No, I most certainly did NOT

I didnt contact them at all having read the items on Boards.ie

Thanks

To get the vouchers i had to pay €1.50 for p&p. So i stupidly gave them my details. And also i still havent got my money back so everybody stay away from them!!!!!

I'd say get onto your credit company, and tell them that an unauthorised payment has been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

seagull wrote: »
    I'd say get onto your credit company, and tell them that an unauthorised payment has been taken.

That's what I did and they said they would have to block my credit card and issue me with a new one otherwise I'd be responsible for further unauthorised payments. I said hold off until I checked it out further because there are a few things I'd have to update as a result.

My story is I ordered a product from zestify.tv using my credit card ( shouldn't be watching the TV advertising channels but I did ) and a week or two later I got a phone call from a someone ( can't remember if they said who they were ) saying I recently ordered from Zestify. I thought they were going to give me an update on the shipping date but she went into a speil on hotel/holiday offers and said she would send me out details, I said go ahead just to get her off the phone. I got the stuff in the post and after a quick look it went to the recycle bin. The stuff was from Classic Living Ireland. This week I noticed a €1.60 charge on my credit card bill from Classic Living.

Today I have emailed Zestify.tv looking for an explanation as to why they passed my credit card details to Classic Living.
    When I get an answer I will update.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Joe Public wrote: »
    Today I have emailed Zestify.tv looking for an explanation as to why they passed my credit card details to Classic Living.
    When I get an answer I will update.

The Zestify Scam is explained below. When you contact Zestify.tv they apparently ask you a question which appears to be about a Zestify offer...but it is the classic living scam sold by zestify on commission it seems. They may also be known as Poundsaver

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08001077333/2
    when u buy a product from a number of tv shopping channels at the end of the call u will be offered a 30 free trial to poundsaver if u accept then u give a password to activate the trial u accept the t&c of the trial which is if u do not make a call to cancel within the 30 day trial at the end u will be upgraded and the membership fee of £89.95 will be charged how is that a scam???????. I have been a member for 4 years now and have saved hundreds of pounds so far i use it foe my shoppong and holidays abroad

5 Feb 2010

This company has taken 89poundsout of my account without my permissionplus another one pound sixty. The other name mentioned is clasic living.My bank is aware of this scam and so are watch dog

There is more in that link.

Thanks Sponge Bob there are a good few victims on that link.

Given the info from that link I still don't know how they got me as I ordered on the web site and was careful to only tick the correct boxes. The three main tick boxes are as below and I only ticked the 2nd one.
    I read their T&Cs and they said they would only pass on customer details at the permission of the customer. It's probably very difficult for me to prove which boxes I ticked and which I didn't.

The tick boxes below:-

Tick here if you'd like to get news about Zestify products and offers by e-mail

Zestify Media may occasionally contact you by phone or by post with special offers.
    Tick here if you do NOT wish to be contacted by phone or post.

Zestify Media occasionally partners with like-minded companies offering top
    quality products and services. Tick here if you would like to receive offers
    from carefully selected Zestify business partners by e-mail, phone or post.

I got an email back from Zestify

"When you placed your order on the website, you were selected to take a 30day Free Trial of the Classic Living Ireland Club. The postage cost for this is €1.60. The agent which called you should have told you that at the end of the 30days free trial you need to call the Club to cancel or payment would be charged to the card you provided with your order. It is a free phone number to call. (1800 940 404) Please give them a call if this payment has been taken and they will refund it to your account. Do you remember being asked for a password which is usually your place of birth? I really do apologise for the misunderstanding of how the Club was sold to you. Any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me."

Well since that I rang the freephone number and discovered if I didn't cancel I would have been hit for €49 after the 30 days was up. I cancelled and got a ref# and asked her to send me a letter confirming It had been cancelled and she said she would.

I sent another email to Zestify asking how exactly I was "selected to take a 30day Free Trial of the Classic Living Ireland Club"

Thank god for boards.ie

It seems that a number of shopping channels like Zestify and JLM are mentioned in that link in conjunction with diversion of customer funds Joe.

I would complain formally about Zestify to the UK Regulator Ofcom . You unticked everything and they not only opted you into the Classic Living or Poundsaver type scam but they transferred your credit card details to the scammers or else they facilitated the scammers by using the credit card data in a fradudulent manner on behalf of the scammers. Ofcom can even kick them off the Sky platform in cartain cases.

Unlike the tossers in Comreg Ofcom are a serious regulator who will investigate. See here first

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/competition-bulletins/about-investigations-teams/

I'm giving Zestify until tomorrow to explain how exactly I was "selected to take a 30day Free Trial of the Classic Living Ireland Club"

If I don't get a reasonable answer then I'll go to Ofcom.

They responded to my first email fairly quickly but no answer to the 2nd one yet.

Data protection might not be the worst route to follow. Did they pass on credit card details to a third party without your consent, or did they make the charge on behalf of classic living? If they passed on credit card details, they could be in for a serious fine.

• Advertisement

That would be 2 separate complaints to UK data protection and Irish data protection

I emailed Zestify and said I was going to Ofcom if I didn't get a reasonable answer. They rang me back fairly quickly rather than emailing. They said I was specially chosen for the 30 day free trial ( like I was very lucky or something ) and it was someone from Zestify that rang me, re. the offer, not Classic Living. They said they do promotions on behalf of Classic Living and didn't pass on my credit card details to Classic Living. My credit card statement shows an entry for "Classic Living" so maybe they can do transactions on behalf of them or something?
    I asked if they record their phone calls and they said yes so I asked them to check the call that was made to me re. the offer, they said yes and went off to check it. About half an hour later I got a call back and they said they went through the call and said it was all explained to me and I agreed. I asked if I could get a copy of the call, an mp3 file or something but they said they couldn't.
    I remember when I got the original call they said I recently purchased from Zestify and I said yes and they did some checks as to my address and mother's maiden name ( password ) and maybe date of birth. I thought they were going to give me an update on the order I made but instead they went into a high speed speil on holidays and hotel breaks and I clicked out waiting for them to finish. The last thing I heard was them asking if I wanted a brochure sent out and I said yes just so the call could finish and I could get back to what I was doing before the interruption. Little did I know that it was taken that I was saying yes to whatever they had said previous to the last sentence.
    Normally if I get a phone call with someone offering something and I'm not interested I tell them fairly quickly and the call ends. In this case they caught me at the start mentioning that I had orderd a product from Zestify and after confirming who I was went straight into their pitch and I wasn't able to say anything until the end. In hindsight I should have said not interested rather than send out the brochure or whatever I said at the end, I may have said yes to the question re. sending out the brochure.

Unless I have the recording of the phone call I can't be sure of exactly how it went but I'm fairly sure I didn't knowingly give permission to take payment/s from my credit card.

First of all they rang ostensibly to verify cc details. It was a security check not a contract negotiation.

Secondly sending out a brochure is not the same as tapping your credit card, they have to have acopy of that recording under distance selling regulations and as you did not explicitly agree to having your credit card tapped Ofcom will smack the bitches.

Finally if they do not have a recording ...quite likely... Ofcom will smack the bitches even harder for breach of distance selling regulations which require they keep a recording of contract negotiations.

Tell Ofcom you want compo for all the time and grief involved....like talking to a sponge on the internet and the like :) ...... as well. Also tell Ofcom they refused to answer your email and rang you, tell them to tell Zestify not to do that again .....and especially if they did not record it which they didn't :)

A lot of what happened centered around the phone call they made to me re. the holidays/hotels offer and what they say I agreed to. I emailed them asking for a copy of the phone call recording and they said they will not supply it due to data protection. I replied saying I was entitled to it under freedom of information because it is personal to me. I got no reply since that. I do believe they have the phone call recorded ok.
    Am I correct in saying I am entitled, by law, to have a copy of the phone call recording?

Joe Public wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying I am entitled, by law, to have a copy of the phone call recording?

Yes, the recording is the contract and you are entitled to a copy. Go postal on their asses with Ofcom for breach of Distance Sellng Regulations, refusal to provide recording etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

pjc9351 wrote: »
    No, I most certainly did NOT

I didnt contact them at all having read the items on Boards.ie

Thanks
    you need to contact your bank and tell them this is an unauthorised payment on your account and see if they can reverse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even if you think you are safe ringing a freephone number, be aware that even phoning these people gets you on a register of 'mugs' which these scam artists subscribe to so once you call one of these firms and your number is revealed, you will probably get a call from another scam artist before long.

Throw it in the bin and do not call them but if you simply can't resist the tempation and you absoloutly want to call them, prefix the number with '141' from a landline or '#31#' from a mobile, this will hide your number even if you're not ex-directory.

It's not all about just ringing freephone numbers. In this case it's the purchasing of products using your credit card and then sometime later getting an unsolicited call trying to sell you something else. The problem is they have your credit card details and deviously make use of it again to sell you something else you don't realise they are charging you for. When they ring you they start off saying it is a courtesy call thanking you for ordering from them and you are entitled to free holiday vouchers and will send you out your holiday vouchers and many more offers for a P&P cost of €1.60. At the same time they tie you into a 30 day free trial but don't tell you will be charged €39.95 if you don't cancel within 30 days.

Credit or debit card Joe, they are easy about who they rip off.

If all they offer is 'vouchers' and at a p&p cost of €1.60 to you then there is no contract for €39.95 later no matter what the small print says.

It is the same as the mobile operators who promise a new modem to 'fix' signal issues and neglect to say that they extended your contract by 18 or 24 months, as soon as you put it up to them they concede.

basic contract law is _offer acceptance consideration_ , how can one be expected to pay €40 odd to get out of a 'contract' for vouchers they paid postage for ??

The main outstanding issue is 'who' has your cc details, the scammers in zestify or the scammers in classic living or classic living Ireland or indeed whether they are the same.

Some of the comments in this leave me thinkimng that shopping channels are fronts for data mining of credit card numbers....whether they be zestify, jml , pitch, ideal or whoever.

or this recent one about another shopping channel or their website

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08001077333/7
    They have taken £59.95 off me. Read the covering letter that comes with the discount vouchers very carefully. It says: "Do nothing, and in 30 days your annual membership fee of £59.95 will be charged to your credit card". This is mis-selling by Ideal World, as they make a big thing about sending you discount vouchers for £1.60, but don't tell you about a further 'membership fee'. Total rip off, and I'll never buy anything off a television shopping channel again.
    Reply !

or this one last week.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08001077333/8
    Same thing has happend to me, amounts varying from £49.95 plus another amount of £1.60 in October and again in November £99.95 and again £1.60. I called HSBC and they have told me that they will refund my money and this has been reported to the fraud people within HSBC. On my bank statement it read POUND SAVER with a number underneath of 0800-107-7333. Another company name appeared as CLASSIC LIVING? It seems they have been given our details by one of the Bid Up TV channels which used years ago. The Bank is issuing me with a new card and has disabled the old one. I do hope you get a good result too. I have also reported this to Watchdog on:- www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory you might want to do the same as the more people expose this the better.

I would contact the European Consumer Centre in Dublin as well, and link that discussion and this discussion to the email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

lad lads lads, giving yer credit card details!!! never mind what he said or what they said or whatever, jesus, ye don't hand over your credit card details to some crowd telling you you've been offered something for nothing!

Advertisement