Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Worst Heritage/Interpretative Centres

Options
  • 12-05-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

I like to think myself as something of a connoisseur when it comes to Heritage/Interpretative Centres - I have been in enough of them over the years - and involved in some of them too. I think a poll is in order too but obviously it can only include the ones that I can think of at the outset.

Anyway to get the ball rolling this one would have to be right up there when it comes to being a major disappointment as a visitor experience.

1. The Corlea Trackway Visitor Centre, Kenagh, Co.Longford. Built due the intervention of the late C.J.Haughey, at enormous expense and has utterly failed to bring in the visitors. It opened in 1994 and despite the initial admission charge being dispensed with some years ago, in 2009 it attracted a staggering 5,000 visitors!!! See here: http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=SEN20091007.XML&Dail=30&Ex=All&Page=13

Those that reach it are lucky to escape with their sanity after the 17 minute guided tour of the planks - I know I was. Currently operated by the unfortunate OPW!

This is the main attraction!!
    splosh_image.jpg

Ireland's Worst Heritage/Interpretative Centre 33 votes

The Corlea Trackway Visitor Centre - Co.Longford
    0% 0 votes
    The West Cork Model Railway Village - Clonakilty
    12% 4 votes
    The Tralee/Blennerville Steam Railway - Co.Kerry
    0% 0 votes
    The Lismore Experience - Lismore, Co.Waterford
    3% 1 vote
    The Queenstown Story, Cobh, Co.Cork
    3% 1 vote
    The Cavan & Leitrim Railway, Dromod, Co.Leitrim
    3% 1 vote
    The National 1798 Centre, Enniscorthy, Co.Wexford
    9% 3 votes
    The National Transport Museum, Howth, Co.Dublin
    6% 2 votes
    The Waterford & Suir Valley Railway, Co.Waterford
    9% 3 votes
    Cliffs of Moher Visitors' Centre, Co.Clare
    0% 0 votes
    The Guinness Hopstore, Dublin
    42% 14 votes
    The Foyle Valley Railway Museum, Co.L'derry.
    12% 4 votes
    Brú Ború Centre, Cashel, Co.Tipperary
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Twenty two views but no votes - ah well!
    Next up the Foyle Valley Railway Museum in Derry City. This award winning, EU funded museum which was opened in 1989 by Derry City Council in conjunction with the North West of Ireland Railway Society has lain dormant/semi-derelict since 2000. A seemingly irretrievable breakdown of relations between the NWIRS and Derry City Council since then has led to the 3.5 miles of railway and superb museum falling into a state of decay. Some exhibits have been removed by the NWIRS and one of the railcars now operates on the Finn Valley Railway near Fintown in Co.Donegal. http://www.antraen.com/
    Derry City Council occasionally throw the Museum open for exhibitions but its long term future remains in doubt. Before the property collapse speculators were trying to get hold of the site for apartment development - only in Ireland - or should that be only in the Republic of Ireland? If Derry City Council let this museum die they will have qualified their county to join the Republic on the basis of that's how we do things down here. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

the unfortunate OPW!

Explain, please? :)

I voted for the Guinness Hopstore (haven't been to any of the other sites!) but mainly because I much preferred the old Hopstore as I found it much more informative. The new one is a prime example of style over substance IMO. :)

genie wrote: »
    Explain, please? :)

The Corlea Trackway Centre was a politically inspired development and is now an embarrassment to the OPW but one which they are tasked with operating. In truth the few bits of timber which were dug up up at Corlea could have been put in a cabinet in the National Museum at virtually zero expense. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Corlea Trackway Centre was a politically inspired development and is now an embarrassment to the OPW but one which they are tasked with operating. In truth the few bits of timber which were dug up up at Corlea could have been put in a cabinet in the National Museum at virtually zero expense. :)

Unfortunately, planks in Ireland are always undeservedly given positions of prominence.

• Advertisement

The Tralee/Blennerville train barely gets up steam before it reaches its destination. If they ever managed to get the line extended by a few miles, it probably wouldn't be such a waste of time and money. The Orient Express, it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

i think the cliffs of moher centre is a bit of a waste of money...they are only cliffs,fairly spectacular ones at that, but i dont see the need for the centre apart from info on how cliffs are formed..a few diagrams on a outdoor display board would suffice...the parking fees are ridiculous..and i hear they are creating a lot of new jobs here due to new development at centre..i really dont see tthe need to add any more..

Actually, I have been to one of the other sites, the one in Cobh. I got there 5 mins before closing and they wouldn't let me in! It really made a lasting impression! :D

I know it's not on the list, but I went on a tour of Lissadell House, in Co. Sligo, a couple of years ago, and the tour guide was completely on auto-pilot, very disappointing. :(

BTW, I'm a seasonal OPW guide, (not at the home of the planks, I hasten to add!) which is why I was curious earlier. :)

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The Tralee/Blennerville train barely gets up steam before it reaches its destination. If they ever managed to get the line extended by a few miles, it probably wouldn't be such a waste of time and money. The Orient Express, it isn't.

Which brings me on to number three on my list - The Tralee/Blennerville Steam Railway - and it's a close second to Corlea in terms of disappointment.

It's a long time since the Tralee/Blennerville train got up any steam at all, as the solitary locomotive has been dismantled and out of use since the middle of 2006 see here:http://blog.tralee.org/2009/03/23/the-tralee-and-dingle-light-railway-revisited/#more-132

yard3.jpg

Despite an inordinate amount of effort by FAS and large sums of public money the Blennerville Steam Train never amounted to much of a visitor experience anyway. Standard gauge platforms (complete with cobblelock); massive Spanish carriages (complete with domestic door handles!) that dwarfed the original T&D locomotive; no signalling; and poorly motivated FAS employees operating the train with little or no knowledge about the original railway. It all could should have been so different but the Council and local business interests knew best and the enthusiasts who had been there from the start were pushed out years ago. I have been predicting the demise of this project for more than ten years now but it just refuses to finally give up the ghost -it appears that you just can't get rid of a bad thing. :(

Which brings me on to number three on my list - The Tralee/Blennerville Steam Railway - and it's a close second to Corlea in terms of disappointment.

It's a long time since the Tralee/Blennerville train got up any steam at all, as the solitary locomotive has been dismantled and out of use since the middle of 2006 see here:http://blog.tralee.org/2009/03/23/the-tralee-and-dingle-light-railway-revisited/#more-132

yard3.jpg

Despite an inordinate amount of effort by FAS and large sums of public money the Blennerville Steam Train never amounted to much of a visitor experience anyway. Standard gauge platforms (complete with cobblelock); massive Spanish carriages (complete with domestic door handles!) that dwarfed the original T&D locomotive; no signalling; and poorly motivated FAS employees operating the train with little or no knowledge about the original railway. It all could should have been so different but the Council and local business interests knew best and the enthusiasts who had been there from the start were pushed out years ago. I have been predicting the demise of this project for more than ten years now but it just refuses to finally give up the ghost -it appears that you just can't get rid of a bad thing. :(

I'm a regular visitor to Tralee, and I never noticed that it was out of action, which goes to show how noticeable it was when it was in action.

I know it never made a profit, and it was rumoured that Tralee Town Council increased the parking fees in the town in an attempt to mitigate the losses.

In Listowel, there's another rail project, this one being a re-construction of the Lartigue Railway, a monorail which connected Listowel to Ballybunion in the late 19th century. The new project doesn't go to Ballybunion, and instead travels round a big yard in Listowel. I've never been on it, don't know how much it is, and I'm not interested. I have to watch any criticism of Listowel, because some of the natives are on Boards, and they feel the need to give me a doing.

For all I know, the Listowel effort could be making money. :pac:

• Advertisement

ejmaztec - I have no axe to grind with the Listowel & Ballybunion recreation although with internal combustion replica steam locomotives it wouldn't float my boat. At the very least it is operational, tidy and not a drain on the ratepayers. The original Tralee & Dingle Railway was a burden on the ratepayers for all of its independent life so at least in that respect the present operation is authentic. :D

Listowel02.jpg

http://www.lartiguemonorail.com/

ejmaztec - I have no axe to grind with the Listowel & Ballybunion recreation although with internal combustion replica steam locomotives it wouldn't float my boat. At the very least it is operational, tidy and not a drain on the ratepayers. The original Tralee & Dingle Railway was a burden on the ratepayers for all of its independent life so at least in that respect the present operation is authentic. :D

Tralee got first degree burns to the fingers on their rail project, and were practically cremated after throwing money at the Jeanie Johnson replica famine-ship project. They'll think twice before getting involved in anything similar again.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Well I must be as dull as dishwater because I liked the planks of the Corlea Trackway. I found it fascinating that a road that dated from what , 200 BC or so, had been unearthed.

They dated the trees from the tree rings - work done at Queens, Belfast if I remember correctly.

But I do agree - they could have been as well preserved at the National Museum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I am not a connoiseur,but, the Cloisters in Ennis must have rated up there with the most boring experiences of my life.

A lot of rebuilding and new fabrication etc and nothing really explaining what was what.

Bunratty was very interesting but I remember it as more interactive from school trips.

Today's contribution: The Queenstown Story, Cobh.
    Quite apart from the financial shenanigans that have surrounded this project from Day 1, the Centre today itself bears little relationship to the grandiose proposal outlined when funding for the project was originally being sought. The pic below from the Irish Times tells more than I can in a few lines. The revamped railway station and carriage shed (now bizarrely incorporated into a space age garda station) was to be the main event, with steam trains running between Cobh and Cork from 1993 onwards. Over €2 million, that I know of, was received in EU structural funds for the project and the ubiquitous London firm of Robin Wade/Pat Read Design Partnership were commissioned to oversee the project. To my knowledge this same firm was also involved in the Jameson Distillery Visitor Centre at Midleton and the Clonakilty Model Railway at the same time - no doubt a nice little earner for all concerned.
    Today the usual souvenir shop and tearoom take centre stage and there's hardly an original artefact to be seen - but sure isn't it good enough for the tourists. As usual all the enthusiasts involved in the planning stages were pushed out as soon as the EU funds were given the nod.
    cobh001.jpg

It was grandiose -they cant even redo the Cork Middleton Youghal general line.It hardly leaves much hope for this.

Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

i absolutely loath visitors centres. the one at the cliffs of moher have destroyed the amiance of the place. i would personally much rather go to loughcrew than newgrange precisely because there is no visitors centre or tour guide

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lebowski11

The visitor centre at the site of the battle of Aughrim is a disappointment due to the fact that never seems to be open. The new Galway to Dublin motorway also cuts through Luttrell's pass which was the scene of one of the most pivotal points in the battle. The battle of Aughrim was perhaps even more decisive in the defeat of the Jacobites than the Battle of the Boyne. It is shame that the site is not better served in terms of commemoration. Although it should be noted that the local community have attempted for years to have the area better served in terms of its historical importance, but as of yet their efforts have fallen on deaf ears.

. i would personally much rather go to loughcrew than newgrange precisely because there is no visitors centre or tour guide

Agree completely. Those of us old enough - and lucky enough - can remember the time before Newgrange got "excavated" and destroyed. I can remember playing in and out of the passage way as a kid when we had to jump down into the chamber because the outside entrance was actually higher than the passage. Newgrange was a fascinating place to visit back then, full of atmosphere - it is absolutely destroyed now. I never want to go near the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

I quite like visiting the 1798 Centre and Enniscorthy Castle when back in Ireland. The Yola centre outside Rosslare is a very poor excuse for an attraction.

• Advertisement

The Round Tower & Church in Ardmore Co Waterford is nice and unspoiled and has a permanence about it.

I quite like visiting the 1798 Centre and Enniscorthy Castle when back in Ireland. The Yola centre outside Rosslare is a very poor excuse for an attraction.

I first visited the Enniscorthy Castle Museum in 1967/68 and on the occasion of my second visit, in 2001, I was amazed to find that little had changed - even the cobwebs seemed the same. Be that as it may the Castle Museum has been closed for three years now and seems unlikely to reopen anytime soon. :(
    guardian002.jpg

The Collegiate Church in Youghal is worth a visit and has the tomb of the Ist Earl of Cork .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collegiate_Church_of_St_Mary_Youghal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

I would like to know your reasons for placing the bru boru centre in the poll? It actually has more facilities and a range of information available than the Rock itself. The Rock of Cashel has minimal information leaflets, the displays in the 'museum' are not entirely relative to the site, and for a place that attracts thousands of visitors every year boosting the local and national economy it can't even provide interpretive info in different languages.. For one of the most interesting and beautiful heritage sites in the country, the way the OPW operate the site is a joke and an insult to the people of Cashel and its visitors. Saying that, the guides are very knowledgeable and friendly, but for one of the most visited and prominent sites in Ireland one would expect the facilities to have moved on from the middle ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭i like lamp

CDfm wrote: »
    The Round Tower & Church in Ardmore Co Waterford is nice and unspoiled and has a permanence about it.

couldnt agree more!!!

the cliffs of moher :rolleyes: the price of the car park even turned me off!! its a cliff, we are an island! i can go somewhere else and look at the view from a cliff for free!! or am i missing something fantastic!

remember the game the lemmings.. thats what it felt like the day i was there, people walking in both directions and coming to a dead end turning back and going the opposite direction in a line!

such a disaster!!

i think giants causeway has been the best i have ever been to on this island! loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What are the differences as you see it between the giants causeway and the cliffs of moher? On the face of it they are pretty similar (ie the edge of the island) but was there a better tourist centre? Was it easier to enjoy the rock formations because of what they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

It's amazing how much can be pumped in to crap centres but no consideration given to moving a road away from The Hill of Tara.

Kildare Village has no mention of Silken Thomas :D

http://www.kildarevillage.com/en_GB/

Silken Thomas (Fitzgerald) great legs in a pair of hose

SilkenThomas.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

What are the differences as you see it between the giants causeway and the cliffs of moher? On the face of it they are pretty similar (ie the edge of the island) but was there a better tourist centre? Was it easier to enjoy the rock formations because of what they are?

i think theres a world of difference. you get to the cliffs of moher, stand behind a barrier on a concrete platform beside a massive car park and an interpretive centre built into the hill and try and enjoy the marvels of nature.

the causeway one is tiny and miles away from the rocks allowing you to enjoy the natural spectacle.

personally when people say theyre going to the cliffs of moher i say dont bother and tell them to try and find hells kitchen in doolin

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    Kildare Village has no mention of Silken Thomas :D

http://www.kildarevillage.com/en_GB/

Silken Thomas (Fitzgerald) great legs in a pair of hose

SilkenThomas.JPG

That's because the FitzGerald castle of Silken Thomas and his father - and ancestors - was in Maynooth. If you go there today you can still see and walk around the ruins. It was once massive until it was destroyed by the English army after the Geraldine rebellion.

Advertisement