Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Worst Heritage/Interpretative Centres

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

CDfm wrote: »
    Kildare Village has no mention of Silken Thomas :D

http://www.kildarevillage.com/en_GB/

Silken Thomas (Fitzgerald) great legs in a pair of hose

The Silken Thomas Pub ? http://www.silkenthomas.com/ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭i like lamp

What are the differences as you see it between the giants causeway and the cliffs of moher? On the face of it they are pretty similar (ie the edge of the island) but was there a better tourist centre? Was it easier to enjoy the rock formations because of what they are?

have you been to giants causeway?

the tourist centre wasnt open the day i went to the cliffs actually nothing was open!! I thought it was a rip off for something that is there naturally and with all the car parks and that has taken the look of natural away from it! I just didnt see anything different about it to any other cliff i have stood on for free! or like i said already did i miss something?

Giants causeway is great, you get a map, walk down a long path and it provides information about various natural things along the trail such as the rock formations etc. There is a shuttle bus to take people if they can't walk the distance for whatever reason. Then you actually get to the main part and it is AMAZING!! climbing those big 'steps', and just looking out at the formation jutting out into the sea! i cant describe the experience of it! The wind and rain was so strong that it was pushing the skin on our faces in all directions! it was just like being in a different world! completely different to a cliff etc! I think the carpark cost £2 and that was it!

BIG difference between them to be fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The Silken Thomas Pub ? http://www.silkenthomas.com/ :D

Excellent spot for those with a taste for exquisite hosiery in the evenings

Kildare Cathedral -St Bridgets- is worth a visit for its stone carvings etc and is a medieval cathedral and the site of the fire that burned from the time of st B to the disollution of the monasteries by you know who

its 5 mins off the m7

http://www.kildare.ie/local-history/kildare/kildare-castle.htm

If you like that during the summer St Doolaghs Malahide is open for a month during the summer to visitors and is a funky building

5 or 10 mins from clare hall

http://www.mylocalnews.ie/dublin-north-10/malahide-kinsealy-250/church-notes-4/church-of-ireland-29/st-doulagh-s-521/

and this gem in Co Cork Youghals St Marys Collegiate Church - Walter Raleigh had a pew there and Oliver Cromwell thought it made a fine stable.

This is a real historic building and is near the centre of the town

http://www.youghal.cork.anglican.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

nope haven't, wanted to get an idea of the difference in attractions and approaches to these heritage centres. obviously the actual natural surroundings in this case has a big role to play in whether you enjoy it or not. I've been to the cliffs of moher before but didn't think it was that good like yourself.
    Thanks for the answers.

nope haven't, wanted to get an idea of the difference in attractions and approaches to these heritage centres. obviously the actual natural surroundings in this case has a big role to play in whether you enjoy it or not. I've been to the cliffs of moher before but didn't think it was that good like yourself.
    Thanks for the answers.

you should make the trip up to giants causeway!! it is genuinely amazing!! its a bit much for a day trip, takes hours to get up there (from dublin) but well worth it :D

• Advertisement

And here's another reason to visit the Giant's Causeway: http://www.freewebs.com/giantscausewayrailway/

DSCF1309.JPG

you should make the trip up to giants causeway!! it is genuinely amazing!! its a bit much for a day trip, takes hours to get up there (from dublin) but well worth it :D

How do you get to it from north Dublin route wise and how long is the drive ??

@JD where is the Fat Comptroller :D

Train: Enterprise to Belfast (circa 2hrs) - Train: Belfast/Ballymoney (circa 1hr 15mins) - Ulsterbus: Ballymoney/Bushmills (circa 1 hr). Haven't made the trip myself but one day!

we went the n2 (derry road) about 3-4 hours if i remember correctly.

Bring good raingear! like i said it was pouring and really windy the day we went. Someone told me that its always raining there. i find that a bit hard to believe though!!

oh and a safety thing.. dont go too far out on the rocks , its pretty much at sea level and easy to get swept away!! sounds a bit mammy-ish i know!! But it looks a lot safer than what it really is! But thats my opinion! im always over cautious! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Definately take public transport. That way you can enjoy to the full the pleasures that Bushmills has to offer (and find out the history of Whiskey). I believe there is a train from the town to the Giants causeway.

We did it whilst staying in Donegal, well worth it.

• Advertisement

Definately take public transport. That way you can enjoy to the full the pleasures that Bushmills has to offer (and find out the history of Whiskey).

So its not just the porter thats protestant :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the tourist centre wasnt open the day i went to the cliffs actually nothing was open!! I thought it was a rip off for something that is there naturally and with all the car parks and that has taken the look of natural away from it! I just didnt see anything different about it to any other cliff i have stood on for free! or like i said already did i miss something?

Giants causeway is great, you get a map, walk down a long path and it provides information about various natural things along the trail such as the rock formations etc. There is a shuttle bus to take people if they can't walk the distance for whatever reason. Then you actually get to the main part and it is AMAZING!! climbing those big 'steps', and just looking out at the formation jutting out into the sea! i cant describe the experience of it! The wind and rain was so strong that it was pushing the skin on our faces in all directions! it was just like being in a different world! completely different to a cliff etc! I think the carpark cost £2 and that was it!

BIG difference between them to be fair!

the nordies have no idea how to deal with tourists. they are not used to them

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the nordies have no idea how to deal with tourists. they are not used to them

I think you have the wrong end of the stick here - as the poster was complaining about the Cliffs of Moher being closed up not the Giants Causeway. In terms of tourism I think the North provides an exemplary service especially given that the place has been a militarized zone for more than three decades. I can think of numerous tourist facilities in Northern Ireland superior to anything we have down here. Ulster Folk & Transport Museum; Florence Court; Downpatrick & Co.Railway; Giants Causeway Railway and so on.....

Advertisement