Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your longest distance on a treadmill?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

Alot of people are confined to treadmill running at the moment. I was wondering what is the longest you guys have done on a treadmill and how long did it take you.
    Mine was a couple of months ago and it was 34km and it took me 3 hours.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

5 miles, took me about 45 minutes. I don't have the patience to spend much longer than that on a treadmill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

5 miles in 40 minutes the other day. Felt like 25 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

10 miles, can't really remember the time as it was a few years ago - about 75 mins I think.
    Never again, felt like I was pulling teeth by the end

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

10 miles today. Hopefully I'll push that to at least 13 tomorrow if I can get out to the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

18 miles today in 2hrs 15mins.

• Advertisement

Peckham wrote: »
    18 miles today in 2hrs 15mins.

Did you do that at a consistent pace?

Usually they say you run faster on the treadmill than you do outdoors but I found running at 12k/hour quite tough at times and I'd sometime train faster than that. Although that could have been all in my head as I really despise the bloody treadmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Haven't run on a threadmill for years, don't understand why people count miles covered on the spot in the 1000 Mile thread either...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I can run about 1km on the dreadmill before I get bored - it just isn't for me! I'd rather have my spleen removed than run any distance on one of those things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

God I don't know how people can put up with treadmills. 3 miles is my absolute limit before I start gouging out my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

Did you do that at a consistent pace?

Did it at a consistent pace of 13kmh, however I did the first 6 miles at 1.5% incline before increasing it to 2% for the remaining 12 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Think it was 16 miles, sometime last year, during a period of torrential rain. Found that very difficult. Can't believe people can do more than that. Respect to Peckham, village runner etc in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Bounced on a treadmill last year, for about 1hr 40ish, until the display told me I had done 15 miles at 6:45pace (0% incline). Easiest "run" of my life. I think they might have a place for doing intervals, but they're useless if you're trying to clock up miles. Never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Why does this negative attitude exist towards training on a treadmill? As far as I can see things, one works as hard as they want to, regarless of where they are. The feeling I get, from following this thread, is that training on a treadmilll isn't as worthwhile as training out on the open road. I've done and I do both, regardless of the weather, and I think both types of training stand me in good stead.
    In answer to the original question, the greatest amount of time I know for sure I've spent on a treadmill is an hour. The most recent distance I've covered is 12.55km. Have spent two hours on a cross trainer, when I was carrying a running injury.
    For sure I'd sooner be outside than indoors, but I still don't totally neglect treadmill work, during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bren74

Haven't run on a threadmill for years, don't understand why people count miles covered on the spot in the 1000 Mile thread either...

+1 agree, necessary substitute for some in these weather conditions but no way real mileage regardless of how hard you work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Due to weather conditions / potential injuries I ran 14 miles on a treadmill today. Sweet Jesus I nearly went mad.

zico10 wrote: »
    Why does this negative attitude exist towards training on a treadmill? As far as I can see things, one works as hard as they want to, regarless of where they are. The feeling I get, from following this thread, is that training on a treadmilll isn't as worthwhile as training out on the open road. I've done and I do both, regardless of the weather, and I think both types of training stand me in good stead.
    In answer to the original question, the greatest amount of time I know for sure I've spent on a treadmill is an hour. The most recent distance I've covered is 12.55km. Have spent two hours on a cross trainer, when I was carrying a running injury.
    For sure I'd sooner be outside than indoors, but I still don't totally neglect treadmill work, during the summer.

No one has really posted a negative attitude towards treadmill work? People don't ENJOY running on treadmills and find them boring. I find it hard mentally to run on a treadmill for longer than 30 seconds. I wouldn't say they're not 'real' miles, your gait and stride length is largely the same on the treadmill as it is outdoors.

No one has really posted a negative attitude towards treadmill work? People don't ENJOY running on treadmills and find them boring. I find it hard mentally to run on a treadmill for longer than 30 seconds. I wouldn't say they're not 'real' miles, your gait and stride length is largely the same on the treadmill as it is outdoors.

Well maybe I'm taking this up wrong, but there are posters here wondering why someone would count miles run on a treadmill as real miles. I'm agreeing with you, saying that they are real miles and that you have have to work as hard to get them covered as you would out on the road. You also have to bear in mind that while on a treadmill there's no backing off or easing up, otherwise you're just going to end up being flung off. I'd be open to correction, but it's proper training in my book at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

10k is my longest, won't even mention time as I'm not a regular runner, but having one of those threadmills with a TV in front of you really helps with the boredom factor!

Well maybe I'm taking this up wrong, but there are posters here wondering why someone would count miles run on a treadmill as real miles. I'm agreeing with you, saying that they are real miles and that you have have to work as hard to get them covered as you would out on the road. You also have to bear in mind that while on a treadmill there's no backing off or easing up, otherwise you're just going to end up being flung off. I'd be open to correction, but it's proper training in my book at least.

I suppose its each to its own and I do not want to be negative towards what works for other peoples training. Personally I never count treadmill miles in my weekly mileage, thankfully I never have to use them regularly unless work gets in the way or I am easing back from injury. However I don't think it replicates in any way the effort or give the benefits of outdoor running. I won't dispute the fact thats its training as your are obviously physically exercising but I don't agree with the assertion that you have to work as hard as you would out on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

bren74 wrote: »
    I suppose its each to its own and I do not want to be negative towards what works for other peoples training. Personally I never count treadmill miles in my weekly mileage, thankfully I never have to use them regularly unless work gets in the way or I am easing back from injury. However I don't think it replicates in any way the effort or give the benefits of outdoor running. I won't dispute the fact thats its training as your are obviously physically exercising but I don't agree with the assertion that you have to work as hard as you would out on the road.

Have to disagree. When I run on a treadmill for 5 miles at 8 minutes per mile pace (on an incline of 1.0) I feel exhausted afterwards, and have sweated bucketloads in the process. When I run 5 miles in 40 minutes in the park I am barely out of breath by the end of it. It definetely feels like I work harder on a treadmill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

In my own case I "did" 15 miles at 6.45 pace on a treadmill, and could have gone on and on at that pace, didn't find it hard at all. I find it a *lot* harder to reproduce this on the roads. You can bounce on the treadmill, slow down your cadence and take longer strides, and you've covered more ground as it rolls beneath you. There's a lot more effort involved in pushing your stride off the stationary ground. That's before you factor in things such as wind resistance and elevation.
    I started an anti-treadmill thread last year, among the points that came from it were that putting in a 1-2% elevation seems to offer comparable running times to road running; that pb's are far easier on a treaddie; that they can be useful for doing set intervals.
    Obviously, getting a workout on a treadmill beats sitting on your a$$, but its a poor substitute for the real thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

14K a few years ago, not sure how long it took, but felt like ages was extremely boring :(

did 75k on a gym bike about 9 months ago while watching the TV, walk in the park compared to the treadmill.

I'm not necessarily making a direct comparison between the two types of training. It's apples and oranges. I'm just saying you can work very hard on a treadmill if you want to. If you don't find it's hard enough then you can always increase the speed and unlike being on the road you've no choice, but to go with this speed. It keeps me focused at least and maybe I'm an exception, but I don't have any real problems with the boredom factor.

At the end of the day if your training for race are you going to do it on the TM or outdoors? I don't believe a treadmill has any place in a structured training plan unless circumstances mean you have no other option i.e weather etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Most done is 7 miles in one hour flat - have only used a treadmill 4 times in my life and yes, I find them incredibly boring !

That said, I'm going to a pay-as-you-go gym later and will probably do 6 / 7further miles as my usual run routes are iced up and I'd rather stretch my legs in a "false" sense and clock up some mileage rather than go out and suffer a fall on ice which would ensure no running for much longer...........I see treadmills as a necessary evil but give me the open road anyday !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

22 miles on dec 23rd. Have often done a long one(18 or more) on it. A little boring but with a change of tops, bar or two a bananaa and a couple of energy drinks. If they had sky sports it wouold be better.
    But i agree its easier. DEpends on the incline.

bren74 wrote: »
    At the end of the day if your training for race are you going to do it on the TM or outdoors? I don't believe a treadmill has any place in a structured training plan unless circumstances mean you have no other option i.e weather etc.

This is probably just a general question aimed at anyone, but my answer is that I do both. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I find treadmill training beneficial. I wouldn't propose that someone does all their training on a treadmill, but for certain types of training, such as hill training and interval work, I find it useful. If you're just going into a gym and getting onto to a treadmill, to clock in the miles then of course you're going to get bored. It is not a substitute for the road and I don't use it as such. As with any type of training, I think if you've a goal in mind and a purpose to your training, then you shouldn't suffer too much from boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

This is probably just a general question aimed at anyone, but my answer is that I do both. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I find treadmill training beneficial. I wouldn't propose that someone does all their training on a treadmill, but for certain types of training, such as hill training and interval work, I find it useful. If you're just going into a gym and getting onto to a treadmill, to clock in the miles then of course you're going to get bored. It is not a substitute for the road and I don't use it as such. As with any type of training, I think if you've a goal in mind and a purpose to your training, then you shouldn't suffer too much from boredom.

+ 1
    Great for speed work especially if you are on your own.

On the elevation thing I'd never run on the treadmill at anything less than 2% incline. Even for a warm up or cool down. Not that I actually ever run on the treadmill, yesterday was the only time in about two years where I did any sort of a run on a treadmill that wasn't some sort of interval session. I can do intervals or pyramids on treadmills all day long as they're far more challenging and interesting than running at 12.5k for 80 minutes @2% zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Once it's done at a decent incline or various inclines and not just on the 'flat' I'd count it in my weekly mileage.

I usually don't use the treadmill at the gym though.

Edit: they're also good when coming back from injury to test out whether you can run or not, better to jump on while you're already at the gym and test out injuries than go to the bother of getting your running gear on and go out at home only to realise you hurt like hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

and my mileage count goes right back down to 10 :(
    To achieve any decent amount of time running without a treadmill I'd have to pay a babysitter 2x per week so I'm damned if I'm not counting those miles. Seriously that's more of the "real runner" stuff that "could" turn people off this forum.

Anyway 8 miles I think was the longest. I've got kind of used to it.... with the right music and if I can zone out from the numbers in front of me and get lost in thought it's ok.

Advertisement