Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your longest distance on a treadmill?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

littlebug wrote: »
    I've got kind of used to it.... with the right music and if I can zone out from the numbers in front of me and get lost in thought it's ok.
    I think if I had to do more treadmill running I'd have to put the treadmill in front of a TV as a distraction - longest treadmill run I've done was in a gym with mirrored walls and no TVs and it was very, very tough mentally. I think you really need *something* to distract you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

littlebug wrote: »
    and my mileage count goes right back down to 10 :(
    To achieve any decent amount of time running without a treadmill I'd have to pay a babysitter 2x per week so I'm damned if I'm not counting those miles. Seriously that's more of the "real runner" stuff that "could" turn people off this forum.

Anyway 8 miles I think was the longest. I've got kind of used to it.... with the right music and if I can zone out from the numbers in front of me and get lost in thought it's ok.

Totally agree. If I didnt have my treadmill I would rarely get out for a run as I have no one to mind my daughter. I take pride in how I have stuck with running this past year and completing the Dublin marathon, even if some of my training was on the treadmill. My skin is obviously too soft to post on this forum as I feel belittled by some of the comments on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Bally8 wrote: »
    Totally agree. If I didnt have my treadmill I would rarely get out for a run as I have no one to mind my daughter. I take pride in how I have stuck with running this past year and completing the Dublin marathon, even if some of my training was on the treadmill. My skin is obviously too soft to post on this forum as I feel belittled by some of the comments on here.

Once you get out on the road(grass) once a week pref for your longer one all is good. I do alot of speed work on the threadmill and I aint a bad runner.
    Alot of people dont live in the real world and you do what you can do and not worry about the knockers. There always around the corner. Keep up the running. Dont know which is worse the clare thing or living in Tipp............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Once you get out on the road(grass) once a week pref for your longer one all is good. I do alot of speed work on the threadmill and I aint a bad runner.
    Alot of people dont live in the real world and you do what you can do and not worry about the knockers. There always around the corner. Keep up the running. Dont know which is worse the clare thing or living in Tipp............

Ha ha thanks village runner- the living in Tipp thing isnt working out too bad actually- lots of nice places to run around here:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

04072511 wrote: »
    Have to disagree. When I run on a treadmill for 5 miles at 8 minutes per mile pace (on an incline of 1.0) I feel exhausted afterwards, and have sweated bucketloads in the process. When I run 5 miles in 40 minutes in the park I am barely out of breath by the end of it. It definetely feels like I work harder on a treadmill.
    Slightly different numbers but thats exactly how it feels for me. I find it a very tough workout with the miles well earned. There's no way I wouldn't count those miles.
    Neil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Did 18 miles a few years ago but haven't used the treadmill much until the last week.
    All my runs this week were on the treadmill. First time that has ever happened.
    I did 13 mile run yesterday and an 11 mile run this morning. Both at 1 incline.

With music or radio plugged in I am able to zone out but would much prefer the outdoor run. It is quite handy after work for me as the gym is just opposite the train station and its usually dark when I get home so running on the narrow country roads is not recommended so I might have to keep using the treadmill for the evening runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭plodder

Best way to compare road running with a treadmill is to use a heart rate monitor. If you're working equally hard then the heart rate will be the same, regardless of what the speed appears to be.

In my opinion, cranking up the gradient (beyond 1 or 2%) isn't helpful. It just isn't the same as real hill running, and you'd only be creating an injury risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

plodder wrote: »
    Best way to compare road running with a treadmill is to use a heart rate monitor. If you're working equally hard then the heart rate will be the same, regardless of what the speed appears to be.

+1 on this, I've done more treadmill running in the past 2 weeks that ever before and have kept on eye on the HRM and am roughly working at a similar effort. Obviously running inside and the extra heat involved will add a few extra beats. Similarly to running outside if I see the HR going too high then off come the MPH, if it starts to drop the the MPH is increased.

Is it physically easier, I would say yes, is it mentally easier - no effing way. It is rare that you dread the thought of going for a run outside but on the other hand has anyone ever looked forward to doing a long run on a treadmill?

Maybe you lose a bit physically compared to road running but maybe you gain something mentally.

At the end of the day it's better than doin nowt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Thankfully, I'm getting about in the snow OK at the moment, so I dont have to go on the dreaded hamster wheel so far.

One time a couple of years ago, the rain was so bad, I had to pay for a gym session and did a 11M run on a machine. There were no TVs to distract you, only full lenght mirrors in from of the machines. Now why does anyone want to look at themselves running? And to make it worse, the machines had a 1 hour limit on it, so while i was minding my own reflection (... eh, business:P) the machine decided to slow down to a stop, while I frantically tried to get it going again, and that fecked up my rhythm for little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

12 mile was my furthest on a treadmill about 2 years ago in korea in front of an open window, I had nipple chaff from a combination of the cold air and loose t-shirt I was wearing on the day.

Did 5 mile the other day on a treadmill and thought I was going to die with boredom, kept looking around me to see what others were doing. I love going out running to new places with my garmin because you look around you and enjoy the scenery and forget you are running. It's hard to do that on a treadmill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 john do

I go on the tread mill twice a week for about 35 minutes each session where I go 18 kph for 3 mins and 20 kph for 2 mins, don't mind it all thet much but I don't think I could do any long runs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think Tony Mangan wins, with a jaw-dropping 405.22km (251 miles), as the current world record holder for distance covered over a 48 hour period. I don't think it's been bettered since, though there are records for various other competitions:
    http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/treadmill.html

including:
    Distance covered over 7 days: 660 miles
    Time to cover 1,000 kms: 6 Days, 7:37 hours
    Distance covered in 30 days: 1526.449 km

They'd have the 1,000 mile challenge sewn-up in around 9 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I think Tony Mangan wins, with a jaw-dropping 405.22km (251 miles), as the current world record holder for distance covered over a 48 hour period.

By the time he was finished there was a pretty substantial pile of rubber from his shoes and the treadmill belt behind him on the ground !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

zico10 wrote: »
    This is probably just a general question aimed at anyone, but my answer is that I do both. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I find treadmill training beneficial. I wouldn't propose that someone does all their training on a treadmill, but for certain types of training, such as hill training and interval work, I find it useful. If you're just going into a gym and getting onto to a treadmill, to clock in the miles then of course you're going to get bored. It is not a substitute for the road and I don't use it as such. As with any type of training, I think if you've a goal in mind and a purpose to your training, then you shouldn't suffer too much from boredom.

I'd have to agree with you Zico on that one. Ive done some great sessions on the 'mill, sessions that would be the equal or even superior to outdoors running. Treadmill training is as good as you make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Its like the Wii Fit, i've probably done my best ever ski jumping at olympic level on that, but i don't get that much credit for it from friends and family. so frustrating :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

I think Tony Mangan wins, with a jaw-dropping 405.22km (251 miles), as the current world record holder for distance covered over a 48 hour period. I don't think it's been bettered since, though there are records for various other competitions:

including:
    Distance covered over 7 days: 660 miles
    Time to cover 1,000 kms: 6 Days, 7:37 hours
    Distance covered in 30 days: 1526.449 km

They'd have the 1,000 mile challenge sewn-up in around 9 days!

I was going to post that one myself. It's an incredible achievement. The man is a legend. I couldn't do 48 minutes on a threadmill. Deane Karnazes failed spectacularly to get anywhere near Tony's distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I think its about 5 miles. I listen to audio books to pass the time.

One thing i do not like and cannot wait for the weather to improve for.
    A treadmill is just a button push to stop and get off. A reasoned arguement can be made about willpower and such.

If you run 5km away from your house. There is only one way you are getting back.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I think the threadmill is sometimes a welcome change from running on the road. I find it great for speed work, plus it gives the legs a relaxing break from the hard road surfaces.

Generally, I'd do 6 miles on one, rough time would be 46 mins, though I'm always trying to reduce this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Most I've done is 21 miles on a treadmill...
    was breaking in new runners about 2 months before NY 2008...
    but they felt so good I just kept running.
    I enjoy running on the treadmill..I have my ipod set up with a list of songs I'm in the mood for and I'm sorted..
    Nowadays I tend to do most of my running on the treadmill...during the week I play soccer twice and it's fairly tough on the legs so the run on the treadmill does me grand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Agent J wrote: »
    A treadmill is just a button push to stop and get off. A reasoned arguement can be made about willpower and such.

If you run 5km away from your house. There is only one way you are getting back.... ;)

You've hit the nail on the head there Agent. When you run from a point (your house), the thought of giving up never enters your head because you can't give up. You get into a zone and get on with it when out running.

The word 'treacherous' has been used so much this last week or so. I'm sick of hearing that word. The paths are very slippy today. There is no way I could run on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Longest Ive done is 17miles at incline of 3 so I`d love to see whats possible personally at 24hrs...

Here`s a list of Threadmill records....Tony Mangan is in there a few times!
    Amazing!

I reccommend reading an account of Edit Berces`s 24hrs on a threadmill ( and I thought I was cranky!! :D)
    http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/treadmill-berces.html

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

Longest distance was 20k. I started running in early 2009. Did the majority of my running on the treadmill, in prep for DCM 09. It was my first marathon and completed it in 3hr29. Have to say that I love getting out on the road, but I have no problem hitting the treadmill for a good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I did 29 kms the other day and 16 yesterday. I did intervals for the first bit and finished it off with a couple of miles for the end.
    I dont know ow I would have managed without it as the roads have been to icy and slippy to run. Not everyone has access to parks and defrosted paths and beaches and if its a case of running on a treadmill rather than sitting on the sofa looking out the window , I opt for the run :). Has to be worth something.

I know its just a pet hate and please forgive my intolerance but it drives me up the walls for them to be called THREAD mills. They are TREAD mills cos we tread ( as in walk, etc) on them.:mad:. Phew, rant over :D
    Poor old yeats would be going mad if he though people were" threading on his dreams"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 shane gickball

Did 23.2k before christmas in 90 mins. started off at 14k pace and graduated up to 17k by the end.

I know its just a pet hate and please forgive my intolerance but it drives me up the walls for them to be called THREAD mills.

Thanks. Tread mills it is so. Two seperate words?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

NO, lol its actually one word. Was just trying to draw attention to the Thread/tread part:D
    You are so tolerant. Thanks for indulging me

NO, lol its actually one word. Was just trying to draw attention to the Thread/tread part:D
    You are so tolerant. Thanks for indulging me

ha ha Treadmills. I'll never get that wrong again :D

What gets under my skin is text talk. Anyway, back to topic "Treadmills".

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Can I ask a silly question - are most of the treadmills in Irish gyms measuring distance in miles or kms? I should know based on the times I run but I find it impossible to judge my speed on a treadmill.

Km's on any I've ever used

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

grimbergen wrote: »
    Can I ask a silly question - are most of the treadmills in Irish gyms measuring distance in miles or kms? I should know based on the times I run but I find it impossible to judge my speed on a treadmill.

The one I've been using recently is in miles.

Advertisement