Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Heavy Kettlebells

Options
  • 05-01-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering what are generally the heaviest KB's anyone has come across.

Would like to do a bit of farmer's walking etc and the KB's would take up less space and be more aesthetically appealing etcetera. I know I should just get the proper FW set up but...

I think 40kg is common but any heavier? Having said all of this 40kg would probably be enough but I'd like to be optimistic!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

The Guvnor wrote: »

Would like to do a bit of farmer's walking etc and the KB's would take up less space and be more aesthetically appealing etcetera.

Correct me if Im wrong, but should "aesthetically appealing" and "Farmers Walk" really be in the same sentance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Touche! Please focus more on the space saving aspect!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Mick at irish lifting should be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Mick at irish lifting should be able to help

I noticed today, while wasting time, that he has a kettlebell handle like the one that someone posted about the other day, i.e. one that you can fit plates to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

kettle grips they are called. id say they are pretty sweet, but putting 40kg on them would be weird, theyd be massive at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Maybe look into shot loading kettlebells and filling them with lead shot. The KBs are available but the shot may be difficult and expensive to acquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Ya filling ones up with lead shot would be the way to go, a 40kg bell is a hefty monster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

http://www.americankettlebellclub.com/blog/?p=251 some lad filled a hollow AKC bell with molten lead and made a 64kg one by filling another with yellow cake, which I think might be an oxide of uranium :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Take your 40kgs, or 20kg or whatever, and press it over your head and then walk with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Roper wrote: »
    Take your 40kgs, or 20kg or whatever, and press it over your head and then walk with it.

Tried that with the 32kg there now. Definitely interesting when everything starts to fatigue. Put a nice hole in the lawn too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lukekhealth

Theres a video of a man on youtube cleaning an 80kg kettlebell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/weight-training-equipment/york-tricep-&-arm-curl-bar.asp

I have always thought that the top bar in pic would be perfect for farmers walks. Plus you could use it for other exercises as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Here's a clip of UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez lifting a 92kg kettlebell

-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W0Ahb1hhWA&feature=player_embedded

Not exactly the best technique in the world, but the guy is seriously strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Not exactly the best technique in the world, but the guy is seriously strong.

I won't deny the strength, but that's no kettlebell swing, it's some sort of shrug/high pull hybrid, not sure what he's trying to achieve there, except youtube hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

http://www.kettlebells.com.au/store/80kg-kettlebell.html

80kg kettlebell is the biggest i've seen from a commercial site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

wolfverson fitness do an adjustable kettlebell competition from 6kg to 40kg. looks the business. I was in contact with them and it will be in stock the end of the month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

cmyk wrote: »
    I won't deny the strength, but that's no kettlebell swing, it's some sort of shrug/high pull hybrid, not sure what he's trying to achieve there, except youtube hits.

I totally agree. I just provided the link to show how heavy the kettlebell was.

The disturbing thing is that Cain is recovering from shoulder surgery and heading into the biggest fight of his career! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

I totally agree. I just provided the link to show how heavy the kettlebell was.

Yep...his trainer seems to think they are.
    The disturbing thing is that Cain is recovering from shoulder surgery and heading into the biggest fight of his career! :eek:

Is it a recent video? Always shocks me when I see/hear professional athletes doing stuff like this. As Barry referred to recently, the very first thing any decent professional is taught, whether dealing with an athlete or everyday client is "Do no harm". There's no excuse for any coach not to know this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

As far as farmer's walks and KBs go : Even with the heavier KBs you tend to find available in Ireland, like 32s, 36s, 40s (only seen one) they still might not be heavy enough for farmer's walks if the protocol calls for heavy carries (say, 75-80% of what your one rep max deadlift is).

Although I've carried lighter weights for longer distances and done farmer's walks interspersed with runs for things like IP conditioning blocks, if you are carrying something that is relatively heavy for a shorter distance then you're better off using proper farmer's walk bars which take plates or standing in a trap bar and walking with it. My few cents :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I was messing with a 40kg one lately and there's no way it's heavy enough to be of any use for farmers.

Advertisement