Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid and Ireland

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Yes I was being entirely serious with my Maradona comment.

The reason ain't nothing to do with a guitar. It's to do with his (lack of) talent.

It was to do with a falling out between the two over something small and stupid, thats a fact!
    The reason he's not being played now is just Trap being stubborn and nothing else, everyone can see he should be in the squad and its bad management putting your own stupid stubborn stance over the good of the team and the country.

We have noone better than Reid in that position and if you say otherwise you're being just as pigheaded and silly as Trap is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes read interview with Whelan in Trib at weekend and he seems a very down to earth guy who fought very hard to get his first team place back at Stoke when he lost it. So aint looking to personalize the issue.
    But collectively we need something more than two central midfielders who graft. Don't think they have same qualities as Reid.
    Reid gives us the option to test defenses more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

whycliff wrote: »
    Something that whelan,andrews,gibson,rowlands,lawerence all possess in abundance...All maradona's in their own right..

I agree, its now so clear and it only took you to point it out.

Any opinion on the theory of evolution...

Yeah -You missed a few stages ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

It was to do with a falling out between the two over something small and stupid, thats a fact!
    The reason he's not being played now is just Trap being stubborn and nothing else, everyone can see he should be in the squad and its bad management putting your own stupid stubborn stance over the good of the team and the country.

We have noone better than Reid in that position and if you say otherwise you're being just as pigheaded and silly as Trap is!

What position is that in the current team? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,578 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Trapp, like all top managers are single minded, stubborn and extemely strong willed.

Reid ain't getting anywhere near the squad, the Italian is going to grind with the players he has stuck with.

Boggles wrote: »
    Trapp, like all top managers are single minded, stubborn and extemely strong willed.

Reid ain't getting anywhere near the squad, the Italian is going to grind with the players he has stuck with.
    Well didnt Big Jack forgive O Leary eventually after he had failed to turn up for that tour of Iceland. Reid broke the curfew but as same time Trap could have just dropped him for one game and that would have sufficed. This has gone way beyond the joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

If Trap was honest as to why he isnt picking him that would be one thing

but the excuses for not picking him are this:o and very :mad:enning

which would you prefer

Interviewer: Trap why are you not picking Andy

Trap: ooh aaa he is aaa number 10 and we only line up 1-9 and 11-12
    soo aaa not neeed him aaah

Interviewer: He would be handy on the bench though

Trap: We have Mcgeeeeeedy and many others whooo aaaaa also wear football boots

OR

Trap: Because I think he is a muppet

simples:rolleyes:

elshambo wrote: »
    If Trap was honest as to why he isnt picking him that would be one thing

but the excuses for not picking him are this:o and very :mad:enning

which would you prefer

Trap: ooh aaa he is aaa number 10 and we only line up 1-9 and 11-12
    soo aaa not neeed him aaah

Interviewer: He would be handy on the bench though

Trap: We have Mcgeeeeeedy and many others whooo aaaaa also wear football boots

OR

Trap: Because I think he is a muppet

simples:rolleyes:
    Reminds me of that great apres match clip when the right price tiles chap asks Trap a question and then trap gets brady to take care of him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm glad to be siding with Trappatoni on this one instead of you. Apologies if this offends you but I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing by leaving out Reid from the squad. It's laughable that this (along with S. Ireland) is still being talked about.

What?
    Well I've seen him play for Ireland and I've seen him play for various club teams. He's just not good. I find it bizarre that people would actually like to see him play against the likes of Italy. Jesus christ.

Why did I say I'm pretty sure? Um, eh, well, maybe it's because Trappatoni is the manager of the team and has got us to a good spot with an absolutely dire team?

Huh?
    Yes I have. And I'm not your 'mate'.

Grow up!
    It's down to the fact that he's not a good player and just doesn't suit this system (or many systems for that matter).

Guys, he ain't Maradona, sorry.

Oh now I finally see what your up too. You got me.

There was some good stuff in the papers yesterday (can't remember if it was the Herald or Indo) but basically saying that when Trap is pushed on the subject of Reid in a press conference he just reverts back to his nonsensical English!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

noodler wrote: »
    There was some good stuff in the papers yesterdat (can't remember if it was the Herald or Indo) but basically saying that when Trap is pushed on the subject of Reid in a press conference he just reverts back to his nonsensical English!

LOL .........''Hello Mr Kettle its noodler here, you're black'' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

RACIST :eek::eek:

oh wait no.

andy reid should be in the squad simple as. he's playing well and deserves a call up on merit. IMO the manager should put aside personal feelings, call him up and explain to him exactly what is expected of him in the Irish squad. This tension is doing the team no good.

:D

Seriously, wasting your time even talking about all this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭secman

To suggest that Andy Reid is not good enough to get into a squad of 24 is absurd, particularily when you have omissions due to injury.

His omission has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with ability, if it was based on ability he would be almost in the team. As a previous poster alluded to he could be cover for left wing, left centre mid, or just behind striker. He is way more adaptable than Glen Whelan, Liam Whelan even Duffer to be honest. His vsion for a pass would be only surpassed by maybe Robbie Keane, when he drops deep for Spurs. He is currently playing well for a Premiership side. He is currently scoring some goals and is most certainly making numerous assists.

Its just "Pure Mule" stubborn Git leaving him out.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Everyone:

the decision is made. We'll catch Andy Reid after the conclusion of our qualifying campaign. Let's get behind the players currently playing for us. Anyone who is quick to boo Whelan / Andrews / Hunt / McGeady / Lawrence / Rowlands / etc while attending the next two home games because they make a mistake and 'Reid would do better' should give up their ticket imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lads, does it matter anymore?

we're second in the group with two matches to go, the only reason we're not top and automatically qualified is because of a couple of howlers from the normally reliable but out of position Kilbane.

Reid wouldn't have prevented Kilbane from getting caught out of position (unless you're suggesting he's a natural LB), so why bother?

it's true what they say, the grass is always greener on the other side.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

CHD wrote: »
    Yeah, that'll do it. A facebook group.

I heard trap likes to poke on facebook.

:D

Seriously, wasting your time even talking about all this nonsense.
    You are in the minority here. The posters have spoken!

Something wrong with my English Chief?

Or is it just you are one of those people who believe Andy Reid isn't good enough to be in the squad because Trap says so?

Still though...
    Firstly if this was in England it wouldnt even cause a ripple cos Andy Reid is nowhere near the standard of any midfielder ever capped by England.

Secondly he wouldnt get on the Scottish team either, Scott Brown, Barry Ferguson and Darren Fletcher are all far better players.

So that leaves the welsh probably get in there alright bu thats hardly a boast.

As for looking back at our group and wondering why we didnt top it, you do realise we are a tiny dot in hte world of international football drawn in a group with the current world chapions, as third seeds I might add and with only two games remaining both at home we actually still have a chance of topping the group.

MIIISSSSTTTAAKKEEEE!!!!!!
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Everyone:

the decision is made. We'll catch Andy Reid after the conclusion of our qualifying campaign. Let's get behind the players currently playing for us. Anyone who is quick to boo Whelan / Andrews / Hunt / McGeady / Lawrence / Rowlands / etc while attending the next two home games because they make a mistake and 'Reid would do better' should give up their ticket imo.

Thats a strange thing to say? Wasn't this thread founded upon the relative injustice that Reid isn't in the Irish squad?

Nothing much has changed, no one has threatened a boycott on Saturday or anything.

What galls me is that Reid is being penalized for one night. Maybe some club players dont treat the internationals as seriously but Reid made himself available. He travelled over for this friendly where all this trouble started. Stephen Ireland didn't. And still trap continues to court Stephen Ireland. So Reid decided to stay up a bit late one night. But Trap is taking this way out of context. If Reid is denied chance to play in World Cup it will be a scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lads, this is simple enough.

If there is a bust up between manager and player. In any team, at any level, the manager quite simply has to "win".

Otherwise he runs the risk of losing the dressing room.

Des wrote: »

If there is a bust up between manager and player. In any team, at any level, the manager quite simply has to "win".

No. Because Big Jack at least took O'Leary back. Trap has made his point!

What galls me is that Reid is being penalized for one night. Maybe some club players dont treat the internationals as seriously but Reid made himself available. He travelled over for this friendly where all this trouble started. Stephen Ireland didn't. And still trap continues to court Stephen Ireland. So Reid decided to stay up a bit late one night. But Trap is taking this way out of context. If Reid is denied chance to play in World Cup it will be a scandal.

Scandal :D:D:D

Ill say that again. A scandal. O Leary didnt travel for that tour to Iceland. Reid has never made himself unavailable for any game as far as I know. This is a miscarriage of justice. Reid is playing for a premiership team, is making vital passes and yet he is not good enough to make the squad. It is an outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I honestly have no clue about what Reid did to be excluded, I gather he was out late or something but did he ever make a public apology for it?

Ill say that again. A scandal. O Leary didnt travel for that tour to Iceland. Reid has never made himself unavailable for any game as far as I know. This is a miscarriage of justice. Reid is playing for a premiership team, is making vital passes and yet he is not good enough to make the squad. It is an outrage.

This is the best yet :D

• Advertisement

I honestly have no clue about what Reid did to be excluded, I gather he was out late or something but did he ever make a public apology for it?
    Public apology. For what? He played a few songs on the guitar. Lets nail this on the head. Irish players get paid relatively little for playing for Ireland in compared to what they get for playing for their countries.
    . There are plenty of stories of players who come back from internationals with injuries and do international associations compensate the clubs when International players get injured. Not as far as I know.
    Reid broke a curfew. And maybe he showed up the manager by not going to bed when he was told to. But this is a ridiculous situation.
    Reid has done his penance ten times over at this stage.

Public apology. For what? He played a few songs on the guitar. Lets nail this on the head. Irish players get paid relatively little for playing for Ireland in compared to what they get for playing for their countries.
    . There are plenty of stories of players who come back from internationals with injuries and do international associations compensate the clubs when International players get injured. Not as far as I know.
    Reid broke a curfew. And maybe he showed up the manager by not going to bed when he was told to. But this is a ridiculous situation.
    Reid has done his penance ten times over at this stage.

So you're telling me if you went away with work and broke a curfew and refused to say sorry to you're boss then you'd still be in a job?

So you're telling me if you went away with work and broke a curfew and refused to say sorry to you're boss then you'd still be in a job?
    Again is Trap paying his wages. No. Sunderland pay his wages. Ill say this again. Reid has never made himself unavailable for internationals or friendlies. He stayed up late, played a few songs. Was trap right to ask him to put down the guitar. Maybe. Was Reid right to ignore his pleas? maybe not. But does the sentence fit the crime? Absolutely not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Irish players get paid relatively little for playing for Ireland in compared to what they get for playing for their countries.

Boards is absolutely hilarious.

Stephen Ireland is slated for bringing his financial advisor to a meeting with the team manager, slated as being all about the money, yet money is being reeled out to defend Reid.

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

I can't believe that 16 people actually voted NO in this poll. Either they did it for fun out of of cyber induced boredom or they are a squad of angry hockey players without any idea that have infiltrated the poll cos they've been ignored in the sports forum.

• Advertisement

Again is Trap paying his wages. No. Sunderland pay his wages. Ill say this again. Reid has never made himself unavailable for internationals or friendlies. He stayed up late, played a few songs. Was trap right to ask him to put down the guitar. Maybe. Was Reid right to ignore his pleas? maybe not. But does the sentence fit the crime? Absolutely not!

If you turned up to a volunteer organisation broke the rules and ignored the bosses orders you'd be told to pack your bags. He's made himself unavailable due to his attitude and refusal to apologies. Even in an amateur sunday league mickey mouse situation and a player broke a rule and refused to say sorry then he'd be out on his ear as well.

Come off it. Trap treated him like child. Know footballers are payed well but Trap shouldn't have confronted him like that. Reid was having some down time. This is same situation as Roy Keane. Mick Mac pulled him up on what he said to journalist in article. And as such attempted to show him up in front of team mates. End of the day manager manages. Not dictate. And should never attempt to humiliate.

This is the best yet :D

Yeah but you think Reid shouldn't be in the squad based on form or ability.

So how exactly can anyone take your opinion seriously?

I don't know, do you watch football or do your base your opinions on Trap press conferences and media spots?

If you turned up to a volunteer organisation broke the rules and ignored the bosses orders you'd be told to pack your bags. He's made himself unavailable due to his attitude and refusal to apologies. Even in an amateur sunday league mickey mouse situation and a player broke a rule and refused to say sorry then he'd be out on his ear as well.

Come off it, yet Stephen Ireland lies to actually get out of an Ireland game and we court him back?

What kind of a punishment did Reid's alleged indiscretion warrant? Missing the entire campaign?
    Everything we know about the incident comes from the media as there was no official announcement made, why on earth should there be a public apology?

Seriously? If I was late for work I wouldn't be made stand up and apologise to my fellow staff members, nevermind our customers.

Boards is absolutely hilarious.

Stephen Ireland is slated for bringing his financial advisor to a meeting with the team manager, slated as being all about the money, yet money is being reeled out to defend Reid.

Hilarious.

Did he really? Why on earth would he do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Do you imagine Reid was up playing songs to himself all night? Reid said in an interview with Dion Fanning a month or two ago that practically the whole squad were there singing along, and those who weren't would have if they knew the words!

The whole singing thing gives Trap an excuse not to bring Reid in I reckon. His style of play does not fit into the rigid system trap likes to utilise and thats that, it would seem (rightly or wrongly).

noodler wrote: »
    Come off it, yet Stephen Ireland lies to actually get out of an Ireland game and we court him back?

What kind of a punishment did Reid's alleged indiscretion warrant? Missing the entire campaign?
    Everything we know about the incident comes from the media as there was no official announcement made, why on earth should there be a public apology?

Seriously? If I was late for work I wouldn't be made stand up and apologise to my fellow staff members, nevermind our customers.

DIdn't Ireland issue an apology for that? I don't think he should be allowed back until he accepts that breaking a curfew is wrong. Lets be real here, your job and that of a footballer are completely different so that's really a valid argument that you would have to apologise infront of the customers. But maybe Reid has even bothered to apologise to Trap even behind closed doors?
    Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Do you imagine Reid was up playing songs to himself all night? Reid said in an interview with Dion Fanning a month or two ago that practically the whole squad were there singing along, and those who weren't would have if they knew the words!

The whole singing thing gives Trap an excuse not to bring Reid in I reckon. His style of play does not fit into the rigid system trap likes to utilise and thats that, it would seem (rightly or wrongly).

So basically Reid avoided accepting any blame? Hardly a great way to endear yourself to the manager.

DIdn't Ireland issue an apology for that? I don't think he should be allowed back until he accepts that breaking a curfew is wrong. Lets be real here, your job and that of a footballer are completely different so that's really a valid argument that you would have to apologise infront of the customers. But maybe Reid has even bothered to apologise to Trap even behind closed doors?

So basically Reid avoided accepting any blame? Hardly a great way to endear yourself to the manager.

Andy Reid does not owe us anything my friend. He has done far more for his country than any of us here and sure as hell isn't required to give a public apology to us becasue he stayed up for an extra hour.

Christ all the crap going on in the Public Sector at the moment and people feel Andy Reid should issue a public apology for staying up late? (not the only one by all accounts).

My job and that of Reid's are different, however the point remains that he is not to be held accountable for every little tiny indiscretion (even thats an overstatement) he makes just because the media have a vested interest in reporting it.

All of the above is immaterial anyway, the punishment does not fit the crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Basically, it would seem to imply that there are other reasons for his omission from the squad as the majority of the squad were up past curfew and singing on the night in question yet remain involved in the setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

True; but if the manager insists on being endlessly stubborn, he will lose the dressing room and the fans and then his job.

Reid has done his time. Trap should pay heed. The Irish love a martyr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Reid doesnt really fit the way trap wants to play IMO

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Reid doesnt really fit the way trap wants to play IMO

Yeah yeah.

• Advertisement

Well he doesn't :confused:

Or have you not been watching Ireland play in this qualifying campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

You can argue that Reid doesnt fit into Traps style of play. Faor enough, but that is not a reason to omit him from the squad. Its a reason to omit him from the team. If Ireland fall behind in a game, then its time to change your style. Reid is one of the few players that Ireland have who can come on and change the shape of a match

Yeah, he can definitely make us look a bit wider.

lolz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Trappatoni is far more important to Ireland success over the next few years than Andy Reid.

I really don't understand why this is being discussed as much as it is. Its Andy Reid ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,278 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Trappatoni is far more important to Ireland success over the next few years than Andy Reid.

I really don't understand why this is being discussed as much as it is. Its Andy Reid ffs.

Yeah - Andy Reid.

In recent games we have played Andy Keogh out wide.

Honestly, who would you prefer wide left?

Andy Reid.

But Trappatoni would seemingly not prefer that option, so i'm happy to go with whatever he thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

We're winning in spite of the 'system', not because of it. So far in the Ireland job Trap has been very lucky as opposed to good. We're usually outplayed in most games but nick a goal against the run of play.

It won't happen because he isn't going to change the system after donkey's years in management, but ideally I'd prefer to see Andy Reid instead of one of Whelan/Andrews to give us a creative impetus and maybe, here's a shocker, perhaps we might see Ireland in possession for longer than 10 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We're winning in spite of the 'system', not because of it. So far in the Ireland job Trap has been very lucky as opposed to good. We're usually outplayed in most games but nick a goal against the run of play.

Anyone who doesn't agree with this has their green tinted glasses firmly on. Good post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mr Alan wrote: »

Trappatoni has been incredibly lucky in this campaign.

We got to play Georgia in a neutral venue. We were completely outplayed twice by Cyprus and were blessed to get anything from either game.
    Apart from a couple of 10 minute spells in both Bulgarian matches we were awful, again very lucky to get anything.
    Got a lucky sending off and got to play most of the Italian match against 10 men. Yet only towards the end did we throw caution to the wind and try and draw the game.

The most important factor in Ireland’s success is actually not Trappatoni. It’s Trappatoni picking the best players available to him. That means Andy Reid should be in the squad. Fahey should be in the squad. Both should probably be in the first 11.

Some people may disagree but I don’t see football as being 100% about winning. I’ve taken no pleasure in any of Ireland’s wins in this campaign and I’m not really looking forward to us doing the same thing in the playoffs and maybe even the finals.
    Trapp isn’t picking our best players.
    Trapp isn’t getting the best out of the players he has picked, bar one or two.

On Reid, he’s being discussed because he has something no other midfielder in that squad has – creativity and passing ability. He is also versatile and hard-working. He’s put in some excellent performances for Ireland in the past – something not one of those other midfielders can say. In my opinion he should start in Central midfield instead of Andrews at the moment (assuming S Reid is injured). For all the talk of how Andrews and Whelan fit into Trapp’s system you’re not going to lose much defensively replacing Andrews with Reid. But you’ll gain a player who’s 5 times the attacking force Andrews is.
    But if he’s not going to start it’s f*cking crazy he’s not in the squad. He’s a viable option in 3 or 4 positions. But the great Trappatoni, lest I forget, has no plan B, no attacking or creative inclinations whatsoever

• Advertisement

strange that. we were doing ****e under our last regime. top manager with proven experience comes into the fold, implements a new system & we start winning.

nothing to do with the top manager though?! just us being lucky :confused:

Advertisement