Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My interchange designs.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

D.L.R. wrote: »
    A simpler solution would be to re-route the N24 south along the R680 from Carrick, terminating at the western end of the WBP.

There's no need for Carrick-Grannagh to be an N road, when a shorter route will exist between the two settlements.

omg.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mysterious wrote: »
    omg.
    :rolleyes:
    Why the eye-roll? I agree with him.

On my site I proposed bypassing the whole thing, though in retrospect this might be over-engineered. Plus it doesn't create an M9 mainline that leads into the city. You need to use the N25 to continue your journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Heres another hare brained scheme for Dunkettle. Unfortunately bloody Photoshop didnt preserve layers, so ideally the cyan line and green line (Dublin) are more flared to allow the black line to dip underneath the cyan one. This takes into account the plans to dump traffic lights on Glanmire, which actually makes this easier.

Edit: The blue line (Tunnel - East) would be reasonably sunk throughout.

dunkettle2.jpg

God knows how they'd build it, but it would look pretty.

Also to hell with ALL the local roads, theres plenty of alternate access (go to Little Island dammit).

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I was at a public information meeting on the A5 yesterday. (I have posted info in a new A5 post eles where.) I was wondering if people could give me ideas for a junction for this project. Their current thinking is to have the new A5 run along the exising A5 and have some sort of junction with the existing Lifford road, then 500m further south have a roundabout where a new road will join in from Donegal N14/N15. Donegal will have to have another roundabout to the left of the big blue arrow where the N14 and the N15 will join together after they are upgraded. The main constaints are that the route of the proposed A5 cant really change as they have just decided this and to limit the number of bridges to two.
    3766873518_ce7d5f30c4_o.jpg

My views are my own.

dunkettle2-1.jpg

I modified Chris design. This is the preferred design, but I didn't opt for this one merely because it would cost incredible amount of money and time. Not to mention completley ripping up the N25 mainline and roundabout.

So I came up with a plan. For this road to become a reality.

I marked the road into four phases.

Phase 1 = red
    Phase 2 = Yellow
    Phase 3 = purple
    Phase 4 = BLue

This means that it can be done in stages and there will be minimal disruptions as over time each phrase will free traffic up until it comes to the time of completely re-arranging the mainline from the tunnnel to the N25 (blue) off the roundabout.

Phase one can easily start right noiw. (If they now see the potential to open the interchange entirely freeflowing in the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Why the eye-roll? I agree with him.

On my site I proposed bypassing the whole thing, though in retrospect this might be over-engineered. Plus it doesn't create an M9 mainline that leads into the city. You need to use the N25 to continue your journey.

Re N24/25/M9 madness, they have rubber-stamped a similarly inefficient and ugly arrrangement for the N30-M11 link north of Enniscorthy, and again this involves a lesser N road (this time the N80) confusing what should be a simple straightforward link between two main primaries.

This too happened because one half was designed before the other half. Unfortunately, saving a few aul quid still seems to trump maximum efficiency in this state of ours.

. Unfortunately, saving a few aul quid still seems to trump maximum efficiency in this state of ours.

What are we saving money for?

Get the deception, there is no money so lets save the money

Where did the money go? It seems we still live in world where when money run out we don't operate at all.

Funny that people don't get it.:D Don't respond to this message. Just "think for a while"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Even when we were rolling in it 10 years ago, FF were busy cutting corners to "save" cash. Its nothing to do with current economic situation. That's the way this govt operates in good times or bad. Catch the penny miss the pound. Self interest first, nation second.

Even when we were rolling in it 10 years ago, FF were busy cutting corners to "save" cash. Its nothing to do with current economic situation. That's the way this govt operates in good times or bad. Catch the penny miss the pound. Self interest first, nation second.

This is how money operates,

I bolded it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

What do you think of this junction arrangement?

3769302911_9f65eb39b4_o.jpg

My views are my own.

• Advertisement

The A5 should not be TOTOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The A5 should not be TOTOS.
    why not? there's going to be a severe bend on the A5 anyway due to the initial design! May as well have at least one of the roads straight through!

Turnpike too, given how recent that is.
    Turnpike-2.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

that bridge would nearly have to be hump-backed to do that incline in such a short space.

MYOB wrote: »
    that bridge would nearly have to be hump-backed to do that incline in such a short space.

No it wouldn't. The bridge is narrow and the land is flat. There is plenty of land east and north of the R110 where the road can gradually slope down to the M50 N slip. The turnpike road can be raised without taking land on either side. Bear in mind no land was taken either to provide this layout.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I want whatever you've been smoking to think theres plenty of land there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

This thread had potential but its been badly executed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

tech2 wrote: »
    This thread had potential but its been badly executed.
    Yea Mysterious is pretty much the only one contributing to it, but if we in any way criticize or even comment on his designs, he gets stroppy.

No it wouldn't. The turnpike road can be raised without taking land on either side.

Some of the flyovers built in London in the 60's were built with vertical embankments to avoid encroaching on neighbouring property.

m4chiswick2.jpg

spacetweek wrote: »
    Yea Mysterious is pretty much the only one contributing to it, but if we in any way criticize or even comment on his designs, he gets stroppy.

Self awareness would be the way to go.

Nobody is stroppy only the moaners and begrudges. Some of you lot have nothing better to do than take a poke at people.

• Advertisement

Some of the flyovers built in London in the 60's were built with vertical embankments to avoid encroaching on neighbouring property.

m4chiswick2.jpg

See how someone comes up with a "solution"

Not a negative problem.

Is it inbuilt in some Irish people to literally moan at everything that is new or innovative, idealistic and striking.

Anyone who is an architect, road planner, developer, inventor or non conformists seems to get shot down every time. Look at why the skyscraper frenzy never kicked off during the Celtic tiger when they had the chance. Now the Dockland bummed. All cardboard boxes. Irish people are afraid of change. We can't plan our infrastructure right, we can't build our roads efficiently or build anything with a good life span. We can't plan ahead. We don't plan at all (I would even say) We seem to bulldoze brand new roads that costed millions to relay gas pipes and what not. We don't have a single road engineer in this country that is qualified enough to build a simple free flowing interchange. It has to be a dumbell or a roundabout with lights on it. This thread is a start for something new, fresh and positive. The feedback here will help the NRA goons out a lot. They seriousy cannot design roads at all.

So Spacetweek. To correct your dig. I don't mind constructive criticism at all. In fact I think it's beneficial for me. Since we all learn from each others point of view and difference of opinion brings evolution to the table. I learnt ideas from other peoples drawings of the recent Dunkettle interchange. You see a lot of people add to the thread, rather than people like you coming in with a sarcastic remark and thus providing not benificial to the thread.

:rolleyes: I think there needs to be more serious moderation on this board. A few people have just got so childish on this board recently. It's not even funny at this stage.

Is it just me or what?:confused: Is everyone just down and gloomy???

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

dunkettle2-1.jpg

I modified Chris design. This is the preferred design, but I didn't opt for this one merely because it would cost incredible amount of money and time. Not to mention completley ripping up the N25 mainline and roundabout.

So I came up with a plan. For this road to become a reality.

I marked the road into four phases.

Phase 1 = red
    Phase 2 = Yellow
    Phase 3 = purple
    Phase 4 = BLue

This means that it can be done in stages and there will be minimal disruptions as over time each phrase will free traffic up until it comes to the time of completely re-arranging the mainline from the tunnnel to the N25 (blue) off the roundabout.

Phase one can easily start right noiw. (If they now see the potential to open the interchange entirely freeflowing in the foreseeable future.

This iteration is better than the first as it uses the land owned by the NRA (North Esk) and takes account of all the available land in the area. The lines shown in Red are sitting on a a rail line to east cork (operational) and that would be a key constraint in an economic solution (as well as a technical solution in terms of vertical alignment).

Rossbrien.jpg

This what they should o done. Galway Cork aligenment should be more direct and not limerick city bound orientated. This movement would then give citybount access it's rightful place.

But ya knoW how it is in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

... Irish people are afraid of change. We can't plan our infrastructure right, we can't build our roads efficiently or build anything with a good life span. We can't plan ahead. We don't plan at all (I would even say) We seem to bulldoze brand new roads that costed millions to relay gas pipes and what not. We don't have a single road engineer in this country that is qualified enough to build a simple free flowing interchange. It has to be a dumbell or a roundabout with lights on it. This thread is a start for something new, fresh and positive. The feedback here will help the NRA goons out a lot. They seriousy cannot design roads at all.

Mysterious has a point here. I've been mystified by some of the goofier designs I've seen popping up on Irish roads. The M50 interchanges were clearly inadequate for the medium term even when they were under construction. Even the airport exit from the M1 was needlessly constructed as a roundabout even though according to earlier plans it was going to be a trumpet. (Granted, the Gatwick exit on the M23 is also bizarrely a roundabout.) The Northern Cross section of the M50 repeated the errors and now we have the absurdity that is the M1-M50 interchange.

Looking at messes like that and Grannagh it's difficult to dismiss anybody who says that Irish road engineers have failed to learn much from the many countries that have already completed massive motorway systems. Add to that our light rail lines that don't interconnect, stadia that look like they have ends missing and housing projects with poor social and commercial facilities and it does appear that planning is not our forte.

Every country has some botched infrastructure projects but it's easy to imagine that the botch rate here is higher than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Rossbrien.jpg

This what they should o done. Galway Cork aligenment should be more direct and not limerick city bound orientated. This movement would then give citybount access it's rightful place.

But ya knoW how it is in this country.

Mysterious, I agree those traffic flows should have been allowed (as I've said before though, they were *deliberately* omitted and not for cost or design reasons). Nevertheless, if you want people to take your ideas seriously you need to stop ignoring things like vertical elevation. The extra flyover across the N7 mainline is completely unrealistic as that mainline is on a substantially raised embankment already. (even if you brought the flyover to a sufficient height above it, the junction is so compact that the slopes either side would be so short/steep as to be impossible - not even just impractical).

The only viable way to modify the junction would be to fit the style of M4/M50 (i.e. partially unrolled cloverleaf - the two missing "leaves" are loops behind the remaining two leaves) and that would not only mean four extra bridges (two on the N7 mainline and two over the N20/city) but also a lot of embankments and drainage works. Also having examined the plan and looked at where the two new "outer loops" would go, it is very likely the outside slip lanes on all four sides of the junction would need moved further out (but particularly the northeast corner where there is least room to move it). The N7 mainline might even need raised further as the new loops going under it couldn't really dip below ground level due to the lack of drainage in the area.

The "mitigation" plan I have heard for city-bound access is to leave this junction well alone and add city-bound access to the overbridge on the N7 just east of this junction. Not that that is easy either - the existing R road there is through a residential area and has speed ramps. It does have the distinct advantage over the John Carew Park link (existing N20) of joining on the Roxboro roundabout directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

IMO the only reason that the M20/7 junction isnt a 3 level stack is because that movement is left out. If M20N to Childers was included, you can guarantee a stack of some sort (be it 2 or 3 level) would result.

Zoney wrote: »
    Mysterious, I agree those traffic flows should have been allowed (as I've said before though, they were *deliberately* omitted and not for cost or design reasons). Nevertheless, if you want people to take your ideas seriously you need to stop ignoring things like vertical elevation. The extra flyover across the N7 mainline is completely unrealistic as that mainline is on a substantially raised embankment already. (even if you brought the flyover to a sufficient height above it, the junction is so compact that the slopes either side would be so short/steep as to be impossible - not even just impractical).

The only viable way to modify the junction would be to fit the style of M4/M50 (i.e. partially unrolled cloverleaf - the two missing "leaves" are loops behind the remaining two leaves) and that would not only mean four extra bridges (two on the N7 mainline and two over the N20/city) but also a lot of embankments and drainage works. Also having examined the plan and looked at where the two new "outer loops" would go, it is very likely the outside slip lanes on all four sides of the junction would need moved further out (but particularly the northeast corner where there is least room to move it). The N7 mainline might even need raised further as the new loops going under it couldn't really dip below ground level due to the lack of drainage in the area.

Well they could of put the the movement under the mainline like they have with the other bridge. i forgot to mention that in my previous post. they could of built the concrete cast box (Like the M50 SB to N7 westbound slip) under the mainline. Pretty much sorts out the altitude aspect of things.

They could of still built it during the interchange works. It would only cost a small bit extra. Since there is no extra landtake and any obstacles in the way. There was no excuse not to have it built. It was as you say deliberaetly left out. Access to this intercnange from every point to the city is woofully inadequate.

Honest to god, I don't know how they got away with designing such crap junctions.

The Main N24 junction which carries 15,000 vehicles a day has at grade slips with traffic lights riddled accross a birdge. I cannot understand it. I reallly can't. Why couldn't they at least come up with some easy designed free flow layout. Instead of fixing this interchange they just put more white lines and traffic lights.

:rolleyes: It's a joke.
    As for The Dock road interchange. Hideous. The oversized roundabouts is overbearing and again another wasteful opportunity here. There was nothing stopping them from designing a popper half cloverleaf interchange here with no extra costs. The Same goes on the N7 Dublin side. A roundabout merging with not just the motorway and the N7 but converges the Newport and Castleconnell roads feeding into it. They could of designed this better.

But you know it's al down to utter laziness because we always seem to come back 10 years later and realise we have to modify all these interchanges that could of been built properly in the first place. Money and time is no excuse. It is an excuse. And it's not acceptable. More time and money wasted AGAIN. The NRA never ****ing learn.
    The "mitigation" plan I have heard for city-bound access is to leave this junction well alone and add city-bound access to the overbridge on the N7 just east of this junction. Not that that is easy either - the existing R road there is through a residential area and has speed ramps. It does have the distinct advantage over the John Carew Park link (existing N20) of joining on the Roxboro roundabout directly.
    Either way they need a city bound access to one of the feeder routes. It is not acceptable for all the southern bounds of the county using the Old N20 and New N20 having to divert way out of their journey commuting onto a substandard congested route into the city. The Dock road should only be handling the traffic it currently uses. This is what the interchange was designed at the local level[/quote]

But whoever came up with the idea that shutting off one major southern approach to the city would have minimal impact on traffic flow's is obviously undermined. La la land is the place for a lot of people who work in these road design offices. Fair enough the Southern court hotel Roxboro entrance was temporary. But in actual fact it was far from it. The N20 needed access to the city and not just forcing all southern traffic onto a new bypass. Nearly half of the traffic using the M20 go North and into the city of Limerick. With so many substandard junctions already. I'm bewildered as to why they didn't see the flaw in their plan.

But again another story...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

mysterious:

I'll say it again, the decision to omit of the city-bound traffic flows was taken during the consultation phase after specific objections to the city-bound traffic. That's why the junction is as it is - the NRA just implemented what was specified (and pretty well - it *is* freeflow). It's nothing to do with time, money, design constraints or anything else. There is no allowance even for future city-bound traffic options because it wasn't a consideration due to it being ruled out during consultation.

I don't have enough basis on which to go into more detail.

Afaik the Quality Hotel people did know about it before setting up (although that doesn't entirely make sense to me, but hey, we are talking about Celtic Tiger era).

I don't think all *current* city councillors were exactly aware of this. Lets face it - unless you specifically looked for the details as us road enthusiasts do, you wouldn't know - think Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Arthur Dent's house demolished for a bypass/earth demolished for a hyperspace bypass.

I entirely anticipate a rather vocal outcry as soon as traffic is cut off from Childers' Road, and I suspect NRA and contractors are surely anticipating it too. There are going to be a lot of angry people and longer commutes.

I'm aware of that.

We talked about this before the road got the go ahead. The NRA knew it was flawed prior to the go ahead. I know that, they know that and you know that.

It was a hot topic ever since the consultation was made. The council didn't say hukoo to the developments sprining up along the access route either.

It's not done because of not been aware or anything during the consultation. it was down to lack of foresight,careless and quite frankly stupid planning. When your in charge of the roads departments and your involved in the road consultation your supposed to look at every single aspect to the design and affect of the road in every instance or point. It's the purpose of the consultation. The whole bypass is a joke. Every interchange on it is flawed. We have not learned from the Mistakes of the M50 have we..They just didn't want the bother of adding another bridge.

Your right there is going to be a real problem cutting this road off. The only entrance.For The old cork road,N20/N21 and Roxboro is diverting to the N69 or the N24

They are probably the worst designed junctions ever to come to frution in recent years. The N24 interchange is severely incapable of dealing with the current traffic demands. There is going to be a lot of headaches. The high cost in the toll is going to have to come down. Nobody is going to pay 5 ****ing euro each way. It's just not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'm considering closing this thread. I think it might be more trouble than it's worth, so please, keep it civil from this point onwards. And everyone: Re-Read the Charter.

Advertisement