Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My interchange designs.

Options
  • 13-07-2009 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I will use this thread, to put up various interchanges I've re-designed/modified here.

At the mo.
    I'm redesigning the N25/N8 interchange (I'll put up shortly).:)

I will put up the Newlands cross upgrade on up soon here.

If you see an interchange that you would like me to try redesign give me an example and I'll put my drawings on there.

All the best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Really looking forward to this, will you be including vertical and horizontal alignment and taking into account drainage, environmental, ecological and CPO issues? I take it you must be either a student or a public servant given the time you appear to have on your hands to be doing this sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

You get some unjustified stick on here Mysterious, don't listen to the begrudgers. They who have no ideas of their own.

What would you do with the N4/R290 to N4/N17 section of the N4 for a start?? A parallel D3AP section for tractors is required, as well as freeflow movements between N4 and N17

I'd then be interested in future junctions of the proposed DOOR.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Interesting thread I must say.
    +1 on nordydan's comment about the unjustified stick.
    Wasn't it on this forum where a guy put up his design for the west tie in where the Athlone dual-carriage way ties into the M6 and low and behold a week later the official design was changed to exactly that!

Although, nordydan is probably a road engineer shilling for some lad to do some free design work for him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Interesting thread I must say.
    +1 on nordydan's comment about the unjustified stick.
    Wasn't it on this forum where a guy put up his design for the west tie in where the Athlone dual-carriage way ties into the M6 and low and behold a week later the official design was changed to exactly that!

Although, nordydan is probably a road engineer shilling for some lad to do some free design work for him :pac:

I think you mean the temp diversion route while the tie in was being done where dolanbaker suggested removing the concrete barrier and letting the eastbound traffic cross the westbound carriageway.

If it's the actual tie in you mean then there was only one way it could have been done...unless the CPO'd Elan.:) A good sheep dog could have designed it.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this, will you be including vertical and horizontal alignment and taking into account drainage, environmental, ecological and CPO issues? I take it you must be either a student or a public servant given the time you appear to have on your hands to be doing this sort of stuff.

I'd like to see you put as much effort as I do put into it.

I never claimed to be a road engineer. I don't have great equipment to design the interchanges that I have done so far.

Maybe next time before you post a dig, Offer some of your designs.:D\

• Advertisement

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    I think you mean the temp diversion route while the tie in was being done where dolanbaker suggested removing the concrete barrier and letting the eastbound traffic cross the westbound carriageway.

I'd like to think that I pre-empted their temporary solution, rather than they copied it. I hope it was just the press reports a few weeks earlier were incorrect! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Road-Hog wrote: »

I can understand where Road Hog is coming from if the redesigned junctions are going to be compared to existing design solutions without acknowledging that there may be issues to be considered than purely just the geometrics.

Road-Hog appears to think that you're wasting your time, I don't, I think its a great idea and i look forward to seeing your proposals OP.

It would be a real challange to design the ideal junction in many sites without being able to flatten nearby buildings, the M50-N3 being a classic example.

Be interesting to see what comes out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Road Hog, would it be too much to ask that you declare your professional interest in this?
    Mysterious can be an incredibly annoying poster. But at least he recognises the inadequacies of some currently under-construction interchange designs. For all their education and expertise, professional civil engineers made a royal balls of Dunkettle, and it looks like the same will happen now at the N25/M9/N24 interchange. You don't need an MA in engineering to see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Turnpike too, given how recent that is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I haven't a clue about junction design, look what I came up with when I tried :(

Can you beat this!

Can you imagine if this was in Dublin. :eek: Walkinstown perhaps :pac:

msn-magic-roundabout-470x350.jpg

Or this one in Colchester!
    85453.jPG

Furet wrote: »
    Road Hog, would it be too much to ask that you declare your professional interest in this?
    Mysterious can be an incredibly annoying poster. But at least he recognises the inadequacies of some currently under-construction interchange designs. For all their education and expertise, professional civil engineers made a royal balls of Dunkettle, and it looks like the same will happen now at the N25/M9/N24 interchange. You don't need an MA in engineering to see that.

None other than I live in the general south east area, I would acknowlege that the M9/N25 may not be ideal but I think it will be along time before the traffic volumes merit a Red Cow type upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

What would the capacity of the the N24-M9 roundabout be?

On the old Granny junction traffic coming from Limerick on the N24 seemed to be worst hit at peak times as they had to yield to Waterford City - N9 movements.

Will this be much better on the new N24-M9 roudabout?

My views are my own.

johnbk wrote: »
    What would the capacity of the the N24-M9 roundabout be?

On the old Granny junction traffic coming from Limerick on the N24 seemed to be worst hit at peak times as they had to yield to Waterford City - N9 movements.

Will this be much better on the new N24-M9 roudabout?

Taking into account that the fromer roundabout was of the miniscule type with only single lane entry and exits and that the new one(s) will have dual lanes on entry and exits, there should be a significant queue reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Can you beat this!

Can you imagine if this was in Dublin. :eek: Walkinstown perhaps :pac:

msn-magic-roundabout-470x350.jpg

The magic roundabout isint a patch on the Arc d'triomphe one in Paris :pac:

Look on youtube for Vietnam or India for some really scary junctions!

Here is a Map of existing Dunkettle
    Dunkettle.jpg

Here is my first one. The N25 free flow layout.

This is the best I can do With MS paint.:) If I had better tools it would be much easier.

untitledl.jpg

• 3 extra bridges
    • And Mainline N25 widened to facilitate merging movements.
    • All movements are free flow.
    • Existing roundabouts underpasses used
    • Inexpensive and efficient layout.

These are not professional drawings. I cannot work out the exact measurement and aspect to scale using the tools that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

You can do much cleaner work with MS paint, use the curve tool and plot your lines first. Its too messy to read properly. Or download illustrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

mysterious wrote: »
    Here is my first one. The N25 free flow layout.

:confused: I'm confused where exactly is this? Is this Dunkettle? If it is which road is which and where is the tunnel?

• Advertisement

:confused: I'm confused where exactly is this? Is this Dunkettle? If it is which road is which and where is the tunnel?

Yes it is,

The Tunnel is South
    The N25 is east
    The N8 (city is west)
    The N8 Dublin (is north)

D.L.R. wrote: »
    You can do much cleaner work with MS paint, use the curve tool and plot your lines first. Its too messy to read properly. Or download illustrator.

I like to see you try.

It not as easy to use the curve tool as one would think.
    There is nothing messy about my design. It's your eyes thats the problem. Not the layout.

I think you mean the city is east and n25 is west if the tunnel is north? :)

Very impressive but that looks as if it might be a bit of a steep decent into the tunnel.

For those of us who don't know the junctions, it may be useful to put the "before" image up as well.

I think you mean the city is east and n25 is west if the tunnel is north? :)

Very impressive but that looks as if it might be a bit of a steep decent into the tunnel.

The tunnel is south on that pic.:)

Seriously I know where North and south is on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I like to see you try.

There is nothing messy about my design. It's your eyes thats the problem. Not the layout.
    The guy was trying to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yes it is,

The Tunnel is NorthThe N25 is east
    The N8 (city is west)
    The N8 Dublin (is south)

then when questioned...
    mysterious wrote:
    The tunnel is south on that pic.

Seriously I know where North and south is on the map.

Your original caption does NOT make sense. If the tunnel entrance is NORTH on your layout then the N8 to Cork MUST be EAST! I know you like to think you are always right but you can't reverse the poles.

That was a mix up. I know the tunnel is south. Its facing The Cork Harbour. So I admit error.

attachment.php?attachmentid=85534&d=1248114431

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

mysterious wrote:
    I like to see you try.

Easy fella I'm not knocking the effort. I like the idea you just need to present it more clearly.

Advertisement