Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My fitness log

• 03-04-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

Right so lets start of with my background:
    20 yrs old, up to 2 years ago I used to be relatively fit however I have been slacking off for a while so I have decided to put back on my running shoes and get fit again. I have been going for about two months now.
    As part of this I have decided to start logging my runs and where better to do this than here.
    I will try to update it every few days anyway.
    My objective is to get as fit as I was when I was 18 and better if possible.

Out of interest I will post my PB's for a few regular places I run.

2 mile road run: 11:30
    2.5 mile hill run: 15:15
    5 mile hill run: 32:27( 2 laps of 2.5mile hill run )

For now i will post my last few training sessions.

17/03/08
    5k road race: 20:09

18/03/08
    4 mile: 26:56

19/03/08
    -

20/03/08
    2 mile: not timed

21/03/08
    -

22/03/08
    2.5 mile hill run: 16:51

23/03/08
    -

24/03/08
    7.5 mile: not timed

25/03/08
    -

26/03/08
    2 mile road run: 12:51

27/03/08
    4 mile run: not timed

28/03/08
    -

29/03/08
    2.5 mile hill run: 16:51

30/03/08
    -(flu)

31/03/08
    -(flu)

01/04/08
    -(flu)

02/04/08
    - 2 mile road run: 12:44

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

03/04/08
    10 X ~250m with 1 min recovery

Times:
    41s
    41s
    40s
    41s
    41s
    41s
    41s
    42s
    41s
    39s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Good luck with the training - wish I'd kept up my running when i was in my 20's! You seem to be starting off on the right foot again

Thanks for the support, its a bit frustating though as i have gone back training with my local club but there are 15, 16, 17 year olds beating me by a fair margin and in one case a fairly talented 13 year old, but its still beats training on your own

05/04/08
    2.5 mile hill run: 16:20

06/04/08:
    Soccer on astro for 90 mins

07/04/08:
    -

08/04/08:
    8 X 300m with 45s recovery
    splits:
    57s
    57s
    57s
    58s
    57s
    59s
    60s
    56s

• Advertisement

09/04/08
    -

10/04/08
    4 miles: 26:44

11/04/08
    -

12/04/08
    2.5 mile hill run: 16:30

13/04/08
    7.5 mile run: 52:16
    1 hour soccer

14/04/08:
    -

15/04/08:
    8 X 200m with 40sec recovery

Unfortunately watch didn't save the splits.

16/04/08
    -

17/04/08
    2 mile run:
    Not time:

Legs were extremely tight so just did an easy run and some stretching to loosen them. They have been very tight since I over did it a bit on Sunday(7.5mile run and soccer an hour afterwards) but should be fine.

18/04/08:
    -

19/04/08:
    2.5 mile hile run:
    16:35

Felt rather crap on this run but my time is relatively consistent which is alright.
    I have also aggravated an old hip injury which is rather frustrating. To be specfic tendon trouble. I am playing a game of soccer later so i will see how it holds up during that, but i should be able to train through the pain hopefully.

• Advertisement

Quick update: Had soccer match yesterday, my mobility was certainly restricted because of my hip, however it is mainly when i turn quickly or have to raise my leg up and to the side. Its alright running in a straight line so I should be able to continue with a bit of training and I will see how my hip feels.

20/04/08
    Soccer match

21/04/08
    -

22/04/08
    2 mile run: 12:45

On the 2 mile run my hip felt ok but my stride was slightly off because of it. As a result my lower back muscles became very tight and running was rather uncomfortable. I do have a history of back trouble so I am used to runnning with those sort of pains but they definitly slow me down. Old injuries are frustrating :mad:

23/04/08
    -

24/05/08
    Speed session

100m, 100m recovery
    200m, 200m recovery
    300m, 300m recovery
    400m, 400m recovery
    300m, 300m recovery
    200m, 200m recovery
    100m, 100m recovery

Recovery is an easy jog, the aim is to not stop jogging or running for the whole session.

Unforntunately I had to pull up towards the end on account of my hip. The bends on the track and the hard ground was just aggrevating it. Disappointed because I was going well and feeling comfortable. Iced my hip afterwards, but still not great. Even sleeping last night every time i turned i woke up because it just gave a dart.

I realise it seems futile to be training on an injured hip. However I have am only after getting into any sort of decent shape and don't want to loose fitness. The amount of training I do at the moment is minimal and I dont want to really decrease it.

25/04/08
    -

26/04/08
    2.5 mile hile run: Not timed, took it easy because ofhip and tiredness
    also did some hill sprints afterwards

27/04/08
    7.5 mile run: 51:33

1 hour of soccer

Good news is that my hip is feeling much better, especially during soccer my mobility has improved so much. I also didn't feel too tired after the long run before soccer so happy enough.

28/04/08
    -

29/04/08

7 x 300m with 100m jog recovery

Hard session as you dont stop and walk during the whole session, your at least jogging but felt strong enough on it so happy enough.

By the way any comments/questions are welcomed.

30/04/08
    4 mile run:
    28:11

Took this run nice and easy. My legs were feeling a bit heavy from the session the night before. I am also probably doing too much running on the road as my legs were feeling quiet dead. I am going to try do more on the grass and gravel trails etc.

1/05/08
    -

02/05/08
    -

03/05/08
    Went to an Osteopath on Saturday. This was to check my alignment and a few things on account of a few injuries and things. Turns out I will be needing orthotics as I have fairly bad fallen arches so I will be getting my feet scanned next week and hopefully have them within 3 weeks after that. In the mean time I will just keep going as I am. He also gave me a decent rub and alot of my muscles were very tight on account of my feet. He has also said my injuries with my hips and backs were due to the fallen arches.

He advised me not to run after the rub so I took this advice.

04/05/08
    5 mile hile run:
    36:08

Its the first time I have done this run in a few months and it was hard especially on your own. The time isn't too impressive but I was just happy to get it in and with a few of these runs in the times will start going in the right direction.

1 hour soccer match

05/05/08
    -

Also on sort of a side note for the first time in 1.5 years I have dropped under 12 stone according to the scales at home which is sligthly off by a few pounds anyway and it is more likely that I am a small bit under the twelve, but its a loss of 1/2 a stone since getting back so I am fairly pleased with that.

06/05/08
    2 mile on the track:
    13:10

This was a horrible run I can never run well over any sort of long distance on the track. I know if i did this run on the road I could have gone another minute faster, but it was a dreadful run. Ah well keep on going at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

token56 wrote: »
    Also on sort of a side note for the first time in 1.5 years I have dropped under 12 stone according to the scales at home which is sligthly off by a few pounds anyway and it is more likely that I am a small bit under the twelve, but its a loss of 1/2 a stone since getting back so I am fairly pleased with that.

Well done. What height are you out of interest? I've been training seriously for around a year now and have lost loads of fat, but haven't budged from 83kg in all that time (I'm just under 5'9").

• Advertisement

celestial wrote: »
    Well done. What height are you out of interest? I've been training seriously for around a year now and have lost loads of fat, but haven't budged from 83kg in all that time (I'm just under 5'9").

I am about 5'11" so I am not over weight or anything at just under twelve stone or about 76Kg but I still have a nice bit of fat I would like to loose and maybe get down to around 11 stone ish, this is probably my ideal weight. Although when I get back to college and start into doing some upper body stuff I will probably put back on some weight but hopefully it will be muscle.

But considering 3 years ago I was the same height at 5'11" but weighed only just 9.5 stone I have put on quiet a bit of weight in the past few years, some fat and some muscle. I am just trying to control it now.

07/05/08
    -

08/05/08
    2 mile road:
    12:30

I am fairly happy with this time, its my best since I have got back and its a good bit better than my run on Tuesday. I dont know why I run faster on road than on track even with the hills etc on the road. But i felt fast and strong on this run, but I know I can get back under 12 mins with a bit more strenght.

09/05/08
    -

10/05/08

Visit to Osteopath again which meant I had to miss training. Got a good rub and he also cast my feet for the orthotics so it will be about 3 weeks for them to come back. I am hoping they will make a difference as ever morning I wake up a different part of my body is sore but I cant really stop training and loose fitness. So I will just work through the pain until I get them and see is their any result.

11/05/08
    2.5 mile hill run:
    Hill sprints
    1 hour soccer

Took the run easy because I eas fairly sore and legs were very tight. I am disappointed with the lack of mileage this week looking back on it. I didn't realise I did so little. I hope to rectify that this week.

12/05/08
    2 mile road:
    13:35

I was going out to do a 6 mile hard run and try to get somewhere around 40 mins for it but even though my pacing was fine my legs unfortunately were in bits in particular my hamstring, I had to work alot harder to go at a slower pace and decided it wasn't worth carrying on as I could feel a pull.

Begging to become disappointed with myself and my training.

13/05/08

Right so being an idiot and all I went to do a speed session tonight. Well thats not the best thing with a tight hamstring you might think, and guess what you would be right, not good for it. So I am taking approx a week off and see how things are after that.

I will post again when I am back training.

Just a quick update. I have been good and taken a few days off and did my first bit of exercise since tuesday yesterday in a soccer match. My hamstring et all felt fine so I will go for an easy run tonight and see how that goes. Then hopefully back to full training and hopefully I am going to kick it up a notch or two

19/05/08
    -

Planned to go for an easy run but that fell through unfortunately due to fatigue pretty much.

20/05/08

2 mile road run:
    12:34

I was happy with this considering its my first run back in a week and I didn't loose much pace it seems. Unfortunately I could still feel a bit of a pull in my hamstring but I am not too bothered about it yet. I am going for a rub tonight so that might help matters.

21/05/08
    -

Planned to be getting a rub tonight but it was put until saturday

22/05/08
    Easy run for about 20 mins

This is all just getting rediculous at the moment. I have never had some many different things feeling wrong with me last night. Lower back, hip, hamstring, calf, it was just horrible. Anyway I am hoping when I get the orthotics it will help matters, I think I could do with new runners but I want to wait until I get the orthotics to get ones that will be comfortable with them in. Also I hope this rub on saturday can do something.

23/05/08
    -

24/05/08
    2.5 mile hile run:
    16:46

I went for a rub earlier on in the day which went well, but I really need to work on my flexability which is causing alot of my problems, so this is something I will definitly work on. With regards the run it self, I was happy with time but felt bery sluggish and know I have alot more to give which is ok. My hamstring was okish so I am happy enough with that too

25/05/08
    1 hour of soccer

Unfortunately this didn't go well. On the stroke of half time I was on the receiving end of a bad challenge and fell awkwardly on my neck. So I have pulled something somewhere in my neck and done some damage in my back. Its not as bad as it sounds just restricted mobility and some neck pain. I am yet to decide whether this will halt my training, I will probably see after I go for a run and find out the hard way.

All in all things not going quiet as planned.:mad:

• Advertisement

26/05/08
    -

27/05/08
    -

28/05/08
    2 mile road:
    12:40

Basically things are not goin well. The whole neck/back/chest thing has taken its toll on me with regards training as I was not able to do much and its still not great. My hamstring still is by no means great, because of this my stride is a bit off which is affecting my lower back, making the muscles tight etc. This is without a doubt making me slower on the few runs I do get out on.
    In terms of the amount of runs I am getting out for it is getting harder a harder to get out simply because my commute is now 4 hours in total everyday leaving me rather exhausted when I come home(I am probably not eating right either at the moment, eating to little) . Although when I do get out for a run it does feel good (putting aside pain from injuries). If I could get my injuries sorted I would start running some of my commute in the evenings which would help things.

I am finished my work experience at the end of August so if I could just maintain my present level of fitness(if you would call it that) I would be happy and could then do some proper training in college.
    Basically my plan to kick it up a notch probably isn't going to happen for a little while and I am sort of in damage limitation mode in terms of fitness

29/05/08
    -

30/05/08
    -

31/05/08
    2 mile easy

01/06/08
    1 hour soccer

02/06/08
    2.5 mile:
    16:10

I am not exactly sure how I ran that time for 2.5 miles by the way? Anyhow I am still waiting to get the orthotics back, hamstring still not perfect so I am not going out for as many runs so I won’t aggravate it. In the runs I have been out on I have not lost much speed but I have lost a lot of strength and endurance but that is to be expected considering the lack of mileage I am putting in. Just sort of going through the motions at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi token sorry to hear about your bad luck with injuries lately it must be frustrating when you were making good progress, hopefully the orthotics will help sort out your arches and they should help everything really hips/back etc anyway enjoying your log keep it up , best of luck

Thanks for that SUNGOD, yeah its fairly fustrating but sure its all apart of being a runner I suppose, could be worse though. Main thing is that when I get back I give it my all and trust me I will.

03/06/08
    -

04/06/08
    2 mile road:
    12:19

Dont know how I ran that time again, its the first time in about 3 weeks my hamstring didn't feel as a hindrance which helped matters I suppose, but I felt slow and weak so very suprised with the time, I definitely have another 40-60 secs I could knock off that time feeling good.

Also got a phone call this morning to say my orthotics have arrived so I will be picking them up this evening. So good news all around. Now all I have to do I shell out the €300 for them :(.

05/06/08
    -

06/06/08
    -

07/06/08
    2.5 mile hills:
    16:33

08/06/08
    1 Hour Soccer

Good time for the run of saturday but I was going alot faster than that until the last half a mile, lost alot of time their due to lack of strenght basically so can go alot faster than that. But happy enough.

Currently breaking in the orthotics, they feel a bit sore of the feet, but thats because they are pushing up my arches, so just taking it easy with them and not wearing them for too long for any period. Two hours in morning, then later in the evening. Gradually longer for about 2-3 weeks and then I should be able to wear them all the time.

• Advertisement

09/06/08
    -

10/06/08
    2 mile road:
    13:07

This was planned to be an easy run which it sort of was, I wasn't pushing hard or anything but my legs were in bits, very heavy, very sluggish and very sore. I am guessing this is just my body adapting to the orthotics, haven't wore them out running yet as I was advised not to, I will start maybe next week wearing them on runs, so just taking it as it comes and not to stressed over my training at the moment.

11/06/08
    -

I already know I wont be doing any training tonight as I plan on giving blood later.

Right have not updated this in a while because I have not been doing enough to warrant a update to be honest. I have done a few 2-3 mile runs but certainly nothing at the intensity I was doing them at and all my plans have gone out the window. There a few reasons like breaking in the orthotics although they feel fine now, but some muscles in my legs are still adapting, still slight injury in my hamstring, but the biggest reason is laziness I could go on with excuses but it is really down to laziness which leads me to be very annoyed and disappointed in myself for lack of discipline.

In a move to get me back on track I have bought a bike and started to cycle to and from work on the weekends and cycle to and from the train during the week. I am also planning to e training with the club, this will hopefully help me structure my training better and give me some motivation.

My plan was to be ready for a hard 10k in september and go on from their to compete in the cross country. Things will have to change radically if this is going to be a reality.

Just a quick update on where I am, cycling going ok, its not even that far so doesn't take much effort but I try to fly fairly fast.

In terms of running went out for a 2 mile yesterday and did it in 12:50, was fairly suprised with that considering my lack of running and how slow I felt on the run but its good just to know where I am at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Just a quick update on where I am, cycling going ok, its not even that far so doesn't take much effort but I try to fly fairly fast.

In terms of running went out for a 2 mile yesterday and did it in 12:50, was fairly suprised with that considering my lack of running and how slow I felt on the run but its good just to know where I am at.

You can run a mile in 6:25? That's pretty damn brilliant going is it not??!

celestial wrote: »
    You can run a mile in 6:25? That's pretty damn brilliant going is it not??!

Well yes its not bad at all, but comparing to some of my old times 2-3 years ago I could do the 2 mile in 11:30 and 5 mile in 32:30, I even remember doing a sub 5 min mile at some time. I no i am not too far off my old times, I know the speed I had back then is still definitly their its just a lack of strenght I have at the moment from a lack mileage. Its been hard lately to put in the mileage but when I get back to college in September I plan to do some serious training. Until then I will do what I can.

Thanks for the support though.;)

• Advertisement

Right time for another quick update. Still cycling to train station when I can although I dont think its worth much. In terms of running I have not done much since the last time I ran. However there is good news in that I have joined a gym, or rather taken over someones membership as they are no longer able to train. Did a session last night in it. Did about 5.5 km on the treadmill, hills for the first ten mins and then increasing pace after that. Also did some weights but not much. Gave my quads a good workout with the leg extension.
    10x45kg
    10x55kg
    10x65kg
    10x75kg
    5x85kg

Not sure if that is good or bad, if anywbody could tell me or not? Anyway also played an hour and a half of soccer afterwars which was not the best idea, feeling the pain today.

I also have a fitness assesment today which should be interesting although I already what I will be told, good cardio, poor upper body, poor flexibility. But should still be good, also if they can tell me my % body fat it would be nice to know.

Another little bit of an update:

The fitness assessment was much of anything to be honest, just taken stats and not much use but not worried about that. I have been given a plan which looks like a generic one but I will follow regardless sort.

Day 1 looks like this:
    12 mins Treadmill jog
    15 mins Bike
    12 mins Cross Trainer

3x15 leg press
    3x15 leg extension
    3x15 leg curl
    3xmax Abs crunch
    3xmax leg crunch (not sure what to call this)

I will post what days 2 and 3 are later as I can't remember off the top of my head.

I did this session all wrong I feel. I did a pretty hard run on the treadmill, basically start on 10km/h, and after each minute increase your speed by 1km/hr, you then run for ten minutes i.e
    0-1min: 10km/h
    1-2min: 11km/h
    9-10min: 19km/h

then 2 min warm down

This is hard so I was pretty tired already, then pushed resonable hard on the bike and cross trainer. This left my legs dead particularly my quads were shot with not even after starting the weights. Did all the reps but wasn't pushing much weight to be honest(50-60kg on each I think). I will pace myself a bit better next time I think.

Another update.
    Have been to gym a once I think since the last time I updated this. I did a fairly hard session on the treadmill, 30 mins and around 4 mile threw in a few inclines into the run too. I have realised I also have little or no upper body strenght and its rather embarressing working out beside guys with biceps the size of my head. They wouldn't beat me in a race though (maybe).:D

I have also went out for two runs, did a hard 2 mile on the road to see where I am actually at. Did it in 12:30, this was fairly flat out so I know where I am anyway and I am fairly happy to still be at this level. If I can keep it at this until the end of August or maybe improve a bit I will be happy.

I also went out for a 5 mile run on saturday, died of death on this to be honest, just felt wrecked and lacked strenght and energy. Not to bothered about that, just happy to get it in.

15/07/08
    4 mile road: 27:05

Planned on doing any easy 2 mile run but felt good after the 2 mile so decide to go on and do another. Felt good enough and wasn't pushing terribly hard, so fairly happy with this run then. Now if I can get a few more like this in I will be happy.

Might be fit for that 10K yet, which by the way I would like to break 40 min for if I do run it.

17/07/08

2 mile road: 12:40

This run was grand have another 20-30 secs in me. I believe I may have also been naive in my goal of 10k in 40 mins. It is sooner than I thought, about 6 or 7 weeks. And after looking again at current form and my current training, there is not a hope of me being able to that time without some drastic changes. It is also a particularly challenging 10k and my best time on this course is 40:18 when I was 17 and I was doing alot more training back then and running alot better times compared to my sporadic training at the moment. But I still live in hope:rolleyes:.

19/07/08

2.5 mile hile: 16:41

First time to do this run in a while but happy enough with the time. Felt pretty terrible through the last half a mile, but I had that nice feeling of satisfaction afterwards which I have not had in while.

I guess all in all I am not in terrible shape at the moment but I could do with getting in one speed session a week and one long run a week, say 1 hour+. Still far from where I want to be and know I can be.

20/07/08
    2.5 mile road: Not timed

1 hour soccer

Just wanted to go out for any easy run as my legs were rather tight after saturday and wanted to loosen up before soccer. Took it easy and felt fine on it. Slightly injured my neck and elbow in soccer but nothing to be too worried about.

Right time for an update

For the past week Tuesday 3 miles easy
    Saturday : 1.5 mile warm up, 2.5 mile hill run: 17:20, 6 x hill sprints, 1.5 mile cool down
    Sunday: Soccer

All in all this week has been nothing short of a disgrace, and this log is beginning to become a joke or actually has been for quiet some time, how can i call it a fitness log if I have barely anything to log.

Anyway I am determined to get back to my best and alot better, I have one more month of working in Dublin and then I will have the time to get some decent training done, until then I will endevor to do my best which I dont believe I have been doing up to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

I will endevor to do my best .

that's all we can do,keep it up and the results will follow

Right, I am absolutely shattered this week, even today in work I can bearly keep my eyes open. Last night I was literally to tired to eat, but after lying down for have an hour I managed to get myself up and get out for a run, did 3 mile, 2 of which was hard and 1 easy. Actually felt good after the run. But now I am shattered. I know I am not getting as much sleep as I normally do and the travel is also taking its toll on me but I also feel my diet is far from ok.
    Let me summarise my diet yesterday.

Morning: Cornflakes and milk (usually around 6:00am)

Morning-Lunch snack: Bannana (usually around 10:00am)

Lunch: White bread roll with Ham, Turkey and Lettuce. (I know white bread is bad) and milk ( usually around 12:30 - 1:00pm)

Lunch - Evening snack: Apple(usually around 4:30pm)

Evening: Hand full of nuts, twice slices of toast, bowl of cereal, milk
    (varies betwen either 7:00pm - 9:00pm)

I also consume about 1.5 litres of water through out the day.

Now on weekdays this does not vary alot, with maybe even less in the evenings. The reason I dont eat much in the evenings is because I am never that hungry, also if I do plan to go for a run and I dont like to eat before my run, so I might not get something to eat until 8 - 9pm. I then dont like to eat much before I go to bed. On the weekend I would actually eat a proper dinner like, potatoes and steak/chicken, the times however are not as regular as the weekday and each weekend varies depending on if I have anything planned etc. Hopefully I will have better control over my diet when I get back to college

Anyway just a view into my diet which I need to look at but as I have said before I will endevor to do my best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement