Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-05-2006, 16:29   #1

Wine tasting courses in Dublin

I'd be interested to know if anyone could recommend a good wine-tasting course in Dublin. Know a little bit already but the more knowledge I acquire, the more limited I realise my existing knowledge is! Cheers!!
Advertisement
22-05-2006, 08:56   #2

Have a look at www.wineboard.com. The next lot of courses don't seem to be starting up until September but I've heard they're good.
04-06-2006, 20:03   #3

You could also check out http://www.vino.ie - I went to one of their wine tastings last week and it was excellent. They do mainly one-off wine courses for groups but also run longer courses.
08-06-2006, 20:29   #4

Courses

The wine board does offer a wide range of courses from basic wine appreciation to full diploma in wine and spirits which is tough but really interesting. Unfortunately their admin isnt great which can be frustrating and their are some choice lecturers too but all in all very good-qualification internationally recognised too
26-06-2006, 22:25   #5
Cameraman

Apart from the wineboard ones (which I've done myself and would generally recommend) you could also approach a good independent wine shop, if you live/work near one.

Most of the better ones run their own wine courses.
Advertisement
25-08-2010, 18:43   #6

Wine Course in September for 170€

Introductory Wine Course
Commencing September 2010
Marlay Wine Shop are delighted to announce the details of their new Introductory Wine Course to be held instore on Grange Road,Rathfarnham,Dublin16

As consumption of wine has increased in Ireland ,over the last few years,and people are travelling more to far flung destinations,so too has a thirst for learning more about wine in general.The aim of our course is to help participants come to grips with what is on offer in the Irish market,and get the best from a bottle of wine.Myths are challenged,prejudices are confronted,and all this takes place in a relaxed and sociable setting.

There is a strong emphasis on tasting, as we believe that this is the best way to learn about wine.

Course Contents

The course fee is €170 which includes all notes, wines tasted in each class, as well as a Sheridans cheese plate each night.

Session 1 (Monday 27th September):
Introduction To Wine
An introduction to wine which will discuss wine styles,the key factors affecting taste,Including:
Viticulture,Vinification&Maturation.
This session will also give grounding in the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) tasting technique,so that by the end of week 1 ,the class will have the basics of how to taste and assess wines.

Session 2 (Monday 4th October):
The Classic Varietals
This week we will focus on tasting (New world) examples of the six classic vatietals.By the end of the class,everyone will understand the defining characteristics of the most famous grape varieties.

Session 3 (Monday 11th October):
Wines of France
France is often a mine filed for consumers,producing great wines,poor wines and misunderstood wines!By building on the knowledge of weeks 1 and 2, we will explore and taste wines from the classic regions of France.

Session 4 (Monday 18th October):
Wines Of Italy,Spain,Portugal and Germany
While many countries in Europe now produce wine,It is Italy,Spain,Portugal and Germany,that remain the most important for classic styles.This evening will provide a whistle–stop tour and tasting of the key wine regions,and will also highlight some up and coming regions within these countries.

Ive done one of these courses and there great fun, here is the next one coming up!!
22-09-2010, 15:41   #7

Wine courses in Dublin city centre, Oct 2010

Look up Premier Wine Training for Wine Appreciation courses & WSET wine courses, in city centre, Dublin.
http://www.premierwinetraining.com
22-09-2010, 19:27   #8
Heroditas

I'm currently on the Mitchell and Son wine course in Ely CHQ on Tuesday nights.
We finished the second night of six last night.
Enjoying it thoroughly. They also serve a fantastic meal afterwards.
01-10-2010, 11:19   #9

wine course

I would recommend the dublin wine school, it's run by a guy called Nigel Donnan, who used to lecture for the wine development board here in Ireland.I did a wine course with him a few years ago, it was great fun, and I also managed to learn a little.The big advantage of doing a course with somebody like him, is you will get an unbiased overview of wine, courses run by wine shops are fine, but they will only tell you about the wines they sell.
Advertisement
01-10-2010, 16:56   #10

I'd recommend going for courses that are WSET accredited - they are the trade standard bearer and their courses are only offered by well trained professionals. Anyone can host a wine course, but only a few can really teach.

Try Tindal Wine, they're a trade supplier and educator who also do consumer courses.
10-11-2010, 23:06   #11

Hi, I don't want to push my own courses so why not look at the Course Providers page on my website (http://www.dermotnolan.ie/education/course-providers) which will give you some idea of the many organisations offering wine courses currently in Ireland.

Dermot
Thanks from:
01-01-2011, 10:33   #12
gg1
Banned

It's not a full course but www.firstdate.ie run wine tasting evenings for single people, it's a dating event but you taste and learn about wines also. The next one is in Eno Wine Bar.
02-01-2011, 10:29   #13

Dublin wine courses

For a list of recommended course providers throughout Ireland, please see below.
http://www.dermotnolan.ie/education/course-providers.

I run wine appreciation courses (basic and advanced, one-day and 4-6 week courses), and professional WSET wine courses in the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel in Dublin city centre: www.premierwinetraining.com.
Thanks from:
08-03-2011, 11:16   #14
Kanedmick

Experience of Premier's Wine Appreciation day course

I had a look through a few of these recommendations above (thanks to all posters!) and of the bunch was impressed with the Premier website.

As it turns out I also got a present of a voucher for the Premier Wine Training one day course. I did the course that ran last Sat. 5th March.

Initially, I would have thought I knew quite a bit, but in fact, this one day session showed up how much I actually didn't know.

Now, not having done any other wine appreciation course, it's difficult to be objective but for what it's worth, I would recommend highly for the following reasons:

* Easy location to get to - Radisson Blu off Georges street. Very plush hotel - quite impressive.

* Room - very appropriate - u shaped set up - allowed lecturer easy access down the middle to our tables to fill our glasses for the tasting sessions. Tables had plenty of space and seating was comfortable. A booklet was provided with notes on the day's sessions and more.

* Started promptly at 10am - which was just as well as we went through quite a lot of stuff and timetable for the day was outlined and stuck to!

* Lecturer - Maureen who is also the owner of Premier, is very open, pleasant and very easy to listen to. It's obvious she has a wealth of experience of all things about wine AND VERY IMPORTANT - how to present her material in an interesting, thoughtful and engaging fashion. She also took and answered all questions from the floor quite expertly without taking away from the flow of the session which is the mark of an expert facilitator.

* a great mix of theory and practical sessions - we examined about 10 best in class wines in total if memory serves and we used the WSET scale to attempt to describe what we see/observe, smell and taste. All very well presented and easy to understand while taking partipants comments and questions at all times.

* Lunch was provided and included in the cost and was held in the bar area on the ground floor - plentiful and very tasty.

Many thanks to Maureen for a very pleasant and informative day!

Last edited by Kanedmick; 08-03-2011 at 11:18.
22-08-2011, 17:22   #15

are there any establishments that do a kind of 'wine for beginners' nights?

im not looking to do a course, just a night out for myself and the missus kinda thing

im wine illiterate and id love to learn/taste more!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion