Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine tasting courses in Dublin

• 21-05-2006 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

I'd be interested to know if anyone could recommend a good wine-tasting course in Dublin. Know a little bit already but the more knowledge I acquire, the more limited I realise my existing knowledge is! Cheers!! ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Have a look at www.wineboard.com. The next lot of courses don't seem to be starting up until September but I've heard they're good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 condado

You could also check out http://www.vino.ie - I went to one of their wine tastings last week and it was excellent. They do mainly one-off wine courses for groups but also run longer courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mr.B.Ooze

The wine board does offer a wide range of courses from basic wine appreciation to full diploma in wine and spirits which is tough but really interesting. Unfortunately their admin isnt great which can be frustrating and their are some choice lecturers too but all in all very good-qualification internationally recognised too

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

Apart from the wineboard ones (which I've done myself and would generally recommend) you could also approach a good independent wine shop, if you live/work near one.

Most of the better ones run their own wine courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 viperfoley

Introductory Wine Course
    Commencing September 2010
    Marlay Wine Shop are delighted to announce the details of their new Introductory Wine Course to be held instore on Grange Road,Rathfarnham,Dublin16

As consumption of wine has increased in Ireland ,over the last few years,and people are travelling more to far flung destinations,so too has a thirst for learning more about wine in general.The aim of our course is to help participants come to grips with what is on offer in the Irish market,and get the best from a bottle of wine.Myths are challenged,prejudices are confronted,and all this takes place in a relaxed and sociable setting.

There is a strong emphasis on tasting, as we believe that this is the best way to learn about wine.

Course Contents

The course fee is €170 which includes all notes, wines tasted in each class, as well as a Sheridans cheese plate each night.

Session 1 (Monday 27th September):
    Introduction To Wine
    An introduction to wine which will discuss wine styles,the key factors affecting taste,Including:
    Viticulture,Vinification&Maturation.
    This session will also give grounding in the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) tasting technique,so that by the end of week 1 ,the class will have the basics of how to taste and assess wines.

Session 2 (Monday 4th October):
    The Classic Varietals
    This week we will focus on tasting (New world) examples of the six classic vatietals.By the end of the class,everyone will understand the defining characteristics of the most famous grape varieties.

Session 3 (Monday 11th October):
    Wines of France
    France is often a mine filed for consumers,producing great wines,poor wines and misunderstood wines!By building on the knowledge of weeks 1 and 2, we will explore and taste wines from the classic regions of France.

Session 4 (Monday 18th October):
    Wines Of Italy,Spain,Portugal and Germany
    While many countries in Europe now produce wine,It is Italy,Spain,Portugal and Germany,that remain the most important for classic styles.This evening will provide a whistle–stop tour and tasting of the key wine regions,and will also highlight some up and coming regions within these countries.

Ive done one of these courses and there great fun, here is the next one coming up!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MOHPremierWine

Look up Premier Wine Training for Wine Appreciation courses & WSET wine courses, in city centre, Dublin.
    http://www.premierwinetraining.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm currently on the Mitchell and Son wine course in Ely CHQ on Tuesday nights.
    We finished the second night of six last night.
    Enjoying it thoroughly. They also serve a fantastic meal afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 corkage

I would recommend the dublin wine school, it's run by a guy called Nigel Donnan, who used to lecture for the wine development board here in Ireland.I did a wine course with him a few years ago, it was great fun, and I also managed to learn a little.The big advantage of doing a course with somebody like him, is you will get an unbiased overview of wine, courses run by wine shops are fine, but they will only tell you about the wines they sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

I'd recommend going for courses that are WSET accredited - they are the trade standard bearer and their courses are only offered by well trained professionals. Anyone can host a wine course, but only a few can really teach.

Try Tindal Wine, they're a trade supplier and educator who also do consumer courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DermotMW

Hi, I don't want to push my own courses so why not look at the Course Providers page on my website (http://www.dermotnolan.ie/education/course-providers) which will give you some idea of the many organisations offering wine courses currently in Ireland.

Dermot

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 gg1

It's not a full course but www.firstdate.ie run wine tasting evenings for single people, it's a dating event but you taste and learn about wines also. The next one is in Eno Wine Bar.

For a list of recommended course providers throughout Ireland, please see below.
    http://www.dermotnolan.ie/education/course-providers.

I run wine appreciation courses (basic and advanced, one-day and 4-6 week courses), and professional WSET wine courses in the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel in Dublin city centre: www.premierwinetraining.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

I had a look through a few of these recommendations above (thanks to all posters!) and of the bunch was impressed with the Premier website.

As it turns out I also got a present of a voucher for the Premier Wine Training one day course. I did the course that ran last Sat. 5th March.

Initially, I would have thought I knew quite a bit, but in fact, this one day session showed up how much I actually didn't know.

Now, not having done any other wine appreciation course, it's difficult to be objective but for what it's worth, I would recommend highly for the following reasons:

* Easy location to get to - Radisson Blu off Georges street. Very plush hotel - quite impressive.

* Room - very appropriate - u shaped set up - allowed lecturer easy access down the middle to our tables to fill our glasses for the tasting sessions. Tables had plenty of space and seating was comfortable. A booklet was provided with notes on the day's sessions and more.

* Started promptly at 10am - which was just as well as we went through quite a lot of stuff and timetable for the day was outlined and stuck to!

* Lecturer - Maureen who is also the owner of Premier, is very open, pleasant and very easy to listen to. It's obvious she has a wealth of experience of all things about wine AND VERY IMPORTANT - how to present her material in an interesting, thoughtful and engaging fashion. She also took and answered all questions from the floor quite expertly without taking away from the flow of the session which is the mark of an expert facilitator.

* a great mix of theory and practical sessions - we examined about 10 best in class wines in total if memory serves and we used the WSET scale to attempt to describe what we see/observe, smell and taste. All very well presented and easy to understand while taking partipants comments and questions at all times.

* Lunch was provided and included in the cost and was held in the bar area on the ground floor - plentiful and very tasty.

Many thanks to Maureen for a very pleasant and informative day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

are there any establishments that do a kind of 'wine for beginners' nights?

im not looking to do a course, just a night out for myself and the missus kinda thing

im wine illiterate and id love to learn/taste more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

WilcoOut wrote: »
    are there any establishments that do a kind of 'wine for beginners' nights?

im not looking to do a course, just a night out for myself and the missus kinda thing

im wine illiterate and id love to learn/taste more!

The Wine Buff shops provide informal but informed courses aimed at getting more enjoyment out of wine. They're good fun.
    http://www.thewinebuff.com/shops

There will be a new shop in Ranelagh by the end of September too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

thanks alot for that! ill keep an eye out for it

La Cave on South Anne St. do very nice wine evenings www.lacavewinebar.com, which you can book for one evening only. There are none posted on their website at the moment, but keep an eye out, as I imagine they will have something soon.

A friend of mine went to a tasting in Fallon & Byrne in town last Monday night & said it was very good - try there.

Premier Wine Training (which I represent, so I might be biased!) have a 3 hour tasting session coming up on Saturdays (but not til 2012) themed around 'Buying Better wine' - see www.premierwinetraining.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

You can do both introduction and advanced wine modules in DIT Cathal Brugha St

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Are you in dublin? La cave wine bar do a fun tasting night, might suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 havethecraic

If you're in Dublin then Enowine is good too. We run a lot of our wine tasting nights with them. They're based in the IFSC or Monkstown. And we ran an event with Ely CHQ in June and they were great. They are running wine tasting events in September. http://www.elywinebar.ie/en/wine-tastings-events.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement