Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2004, and people are smoking in my local ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭L4

Originally posted by Corega
    Einstein*

speech*

I realise speech was spelled incorrectly, however I intended to write Einsteen, copied from American T.V to my shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Originally posted by Faust
    joke ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jk)
    n.
    Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
    A mischievous trick; a prank.
    An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
    Informal.
    Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
    An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.

Easy now, I don't wanna hurt nobody! Touché :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Originally posted by Paddy20
    DMT,

Yes, Micheal Martin & Bertie Ahern. Oh, the irony!. I think the E.U. is magic.

Hmmm, why do I not feel sorry for all those anti - smoking fanatics who swore blind that the new smoking ban would be introduced on 1st January 2004.

Yes, true democracy, has some real benefits for the little man.

P.:) :ninja:
    I'm getting you a Primary school english text book for your birthday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

Originally posted by Kold
    I'm getting you a Primary school english text book for your birthday

I hate pedants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I hate pedants :D
    Oh you lie. Buy yourself one of these (I got it for Christmas - there's an entire chapter about when to use (and when not to use) a comma)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

An entire chapter on the comma? I hate commas! Bloody subordinate clauses. Bloody using a bloody comma to seperate the last item in a bloody list - except only in the US! GRRR! Stupid things.

However, I advocate death for mixing "your" and "you're" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Getting slightly back on topic, I just saw a report about smoking in pubs being banned on Sky News. They mentioned that Ireland is planning on banning it, and what clip do they show in their report? Someone pouring a pint of Guinness with diddlyeye music in the background :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Originally posted by Exit
    Getting slightly back on topic, I just saw a report about smoking in pubs being banned on Sky News. They mentioned that Ireland is planning on banning it, and what clip do they show in their report? Someone pouring a pint of Guinness with diddlyeye music in the background :rolleyes:

You don't like Guinness or Diddlyeye music? :eek: :eek: :eek: My God and be Jayzuz, what kind of an Irish person are you at all, at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Kold,

Quote; " I'm getting you a Primary school text book for your birthday " end quote.

Thats nice, but why wait until my birthday. Obviously, I need it now ?..

Send me a PM and I will let you have my address.:D

Looking forward to hearing from you.

P.:ninja:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Exit

I think they even said it had come into effect already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yes they did

that's accurate reporting :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Excuse me mr scrooge, i believe you intended to write this before you even went out on new years eve, do you really have that little to do that on new years eve you were complaining about people smoking?, yes the ban was meant to be inforced, but where is your festive spirit or goodwill? i myself hate smoking, but it is very narrow minded and ignorant (in the true sense of the word) for you to believe this would be an overnight change, that at the joyfull and jubilent time when the count down goes from 10 to 1 ringing in the new year, people were to stop and stub out their ciggarettes? in my honnest opinion people have more on their mind at this time than new anti smoking legislation. so give it time please

weemcd,

Excuse me, but who is the Mr Scrooge your post is directed at ?..

If it is meant for me, may I recommend that you read my first post. Especially where I wish those still being allowed to smoke unhindered the best of luck !.

You see I have always regarded this ban on smoking in the workplace as poorly thought out and unenforcable, particularly for traditional smoking environments such as my local Pub.

The Minister of Health has been shown up for what he is, he has also been forced to back down on a number of fronts by the EU, and that includes banning smoking in places of entertainment for the moment pending further investigation concerning the strong possibility that this ban could be an illegal infringement of smokers civil rights. So who knows when or if it will be introduced.

imho the Minister of Health should resign, not only over this issue but also over his mishandling of our Health services.

pending further investigation concerning the strong possibility that this ban could be an illegal infringement of smokers civil rights.

Could you provide a link to your source for this Paddy?

Man,

Now,now. I am sure you have plenty of links of your own to this story where our Minister of Health & Bertie both had to eat thier words along with the implementation date because of EU intervention on the grounds stated.

Now, I have to rush out shopping. I will check back later.

Happy New Year to you & yours.

P.;) :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Smokers shouldnt have civil rights. If theyre idiotic enough to smoke in the first place then they sure as hell arent going to be able to vote responsibly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by richindub2
    Smokers shouldnt have civil rights. If theyre idiotic enough to smoke in the first place then they sure as hell arent going to be able to vote responsibly.

Jesus, what a stupid comment.

Well why do smokers start smoking exactly when they know its lethal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I heartily endorse this product and / or service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Couldnt agree more!

There are warnings right there on the packet, how can you be so stupid? I think all smokers should be locked up in a tiny unventilated room with only one packet of cigarettes.Let them fight for it. Only one cranky smoker will be left who, hopefully, I would have the pleasurse of burning to death with cigarettes. That will teach him for burning my expenseive clothes.

Maybe this smokers room can be in the same complex as the knacker slave labour camps....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well why do smokers start smoking exactly when they know its lethal?
    Because they're weak willed idiots :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by ixoy
    Because they're weak willed idiots :)

Who are clearly trying to look cool and are failing miserably

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Minister of Health has been shown up for what he is, he has also been forced to back down on a number of fronts by the EU, and that includes banning smoking in places of entertainment for the moment pending further investigation concerning the strong possibility that this ban could be an illegal infringement of smokers civil rights. So who knows when or if it will be introduced.

imho the Minister of Health should resign, not only over this issue but also over his mishandling of our Health services.
    Paddy, you're not getting it here. Yes, the Minister rushed it a bit to get this legislation. That's why he had to revise it to exclude certain places - prisons, etc. When he did revise it, he stated that to allow these new restrictions extra preparation time, the legislation wouldn't be enforced until closer to February. All the links you've supplied, with him saying the 1st of January are out of date.

There are also two parts of the Geneva convention, that, creatively interpreted, may override your 'civil right' to smoke.
    Article 23(1)
    Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.
    Breathing cigarette smoke may not be favourable to a person in their place of employment.
    Article 25(1)
    Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, .....
    Again, If you have to work to maintain that standard of living, then that work should not be detrimental to your health.
    Article 29(2)
    In the exercise of his rights and freedoms, everyone shall be subject only to such limitations as are determined by law solely for the purpose of securing due recognition and respect for the rights and freedoms of others and of meeting the just requirements of morality, public order and the general welfare in a democratic society.
    Which essentially means that laws such as this one are nice and legal, since they don't wholly prevent you from smoking, only add some limitations, in the pursuit of meeting the just requirements of the general welfare of a democratic society.

As I say, creative interpretation, but then again, you can use facts to prove anything :)

Paddy, there is nothing anywhere, that says you have the right to ingest, inhale or inject any substance as a leisure pursuit, or even as a medicine. If there was, governments would have a tough time justifying most drug laws.

seamus,

I can understand where you are coming from. I also sincerely wish that the Geneva convention was respected and implemented by the powers that be, in the Republic of Ireland.

However, I live in the real world in Donegal, where just about everthing in Article 23 (1), Article 25 (1) & Article 29 (1) are not respected or implemented properly or enforced. I truly wish they were.

Taking this unfortunate fact into consideration, do you really believe that even if the Smoking Ban is introduced/if ever!. It will either be respected or enforced effectively ?..

Imho there is not a hope in hell for the smoking ban in the workplace, and I suspect the Minister for Health & Bertie are at this moment trying to sweep it under the carpet in the hope that it will be forgotten about very soon.

Thats just life in Ireland as it really is, and not as the Geneva convention would like it to be.

Originally posted by Sangre
    Who are clearly trying to look cool and are failing miserably
    smells like troll spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

this thread is getting out of control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Originally posted by Sangre

There are warnings right there on the packet, how can you be so stupid? I think all smokers should be locked up in a tiny unventilated room with only one packet of cigarettes.Let them fight for it. Only one cranky smoker will be left who, hopefully, I would have the pleasurse of burning to death with cigarettes. That will teach him for burning my expenseive clothes.

Maybe this smokers room can be in the same complex as the knacker slave labour camps....

Man you should work for RTE, this as a reality tv show would get far better ratings than House of Love :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

yet again i am smoking...... and soon i wont be able to due to little hitler getting his way.....

you know who i mean:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Who? Him?

hitler.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lol

but seriously Micheál Martin :mad: :mad: :mad:

asshole

Advertisement