Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How has it been allowed that judges are seemingly beyond answering to anyone?
    Their court seems to be their domain and their decisions unquestioned for the most part.

Maybe we need a system where judges are elected by the public and answerable for their sometimes questionable decisions.

The whole idea is that judges are not influenced by external pressures (such as running for (re)election and considering what the public wants) when rendering judgements.

Definitely, you can make the argument that judges are/sentencing is a problem. From what I see in the media, it seems to be the same small number of judge's names coming up again and again, rather than a systematic problem. But making them answerable to the public mood would be a terrible idea in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Pretty normal human behaviour after a year of lockdowns

Right :rolleyes:

Pretty normal human behaviour after a year of lockdowns

Ah, the innocence. You think this scum hasn't been partying all along? FFS man.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mimon wrote: »
    Ah, the innocence. You think this scum hasn't been partying all along? FFS man.

so all of these individuals have been partying, non stop, since covid, yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

not at all, theres no excuses here, certainly not good ones, but its just normal human behavior, place such restrictions on humans for long enough, let them tank themselves with mind altering substances, and vola!

The vast, vast majority of people drinking in Dublin city centre since lockdown ended, haven't ended up rioting.

We cannot hide from the truth, this is a certain element of our society, who care not one jot about law and order.

Covid or lockdowns are irrelevant.

But its a convenient excuse for the pundits on the radio, "the ones I feel sorry for are the young ones, who have sacrificed so much over the last year. Is it any wonder they are losing the run of themselves each night".

Feck off with that nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I don't think anyone is saying that, but you know that.

Of those attacking the taxi I would guess most have been out with friends all lockdown, but of course I can't prove that.

This behaviour has been there in Dublin the whole time, covid has just brought it to the fore.

I had hoped this outdoor summer would lead to us loosening the restrictions on alcohol and drink more socially (like many have been), the minority will prevent this

Don't be so naive. These were the type people having 60 people in a house for parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 waterfordwendy

Galway last night. New bins were installed after everyone defended the people who littered all over the river and canals last weekend.
    https://twitter.com/galway_together/status/1401820796557873154?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

NIMAN wrote: »
    The vast, vast majority of people drinking in Dublin city centre since lockdown ended, haven't ended up rioting.

We cannot hide from the truth, this is a certain element of our society, who care not one jot about law and order.

Covid or lockdowns are irrelevant.

But its a convenient excuse for the pundits on the radio, "the ones I feel sorry for are the young ones, who have sacrificed so much over the last year. Is it any wonder they are losing the run of themselves each night".

Feck off with that nonsense.

It’s the combination of alcohol/ drugs and mob mentality that gets to be released now. The smart ones will instigate chaos and enjoy watching it unfold. The dumb ones will be the ones carrying out the actions and getting caught. Nothing new and rather typical of mankind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Galway last night. New bins were installed after everyone defended the people who littered all over the river and canals last weekend.

Just let them drown, the problem will sort itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ms. Newbie18

Idiots. I hope they are identified and fined/charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I think young people don't give a crap about the garda anymore. You've gangs of young lads hanging round the centre of my town now , when I was growing up the garda would run you. We had a detective who used to patrol the town and he'd give you a few clatters , everyone was terrified of him , even the proper scumbags. We used to drink in the forests wen we were younger well out of the way of anyone , now the teens all drink out in the open , pissed out of there head annoying people . The garda back then wouldn't stand for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Congratulations to whoever produced this young man. He’s a credit to you, you should be proud. As he journeys through life there will be many milestones that you can look back on, with your heads held high. Ps pay your rent arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

brucky wrote: »
    Congratulations to whoever produced this young man. He’s a credit to you, you should be proud. As he journeys through life there will be many milestones that you can look back on, with your heads held high. Ps pay your rent arrears.

heyor. yew mind yer own fukin biznez.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Bunch of fcukin idiots. It’s the army should be sent in there on a baton round and knock 7 bells out of the useless articles.do it every evening until the fcukin savages learn the manners that their no good,layabout parents failed to teach them.
    Society has failed and these feral pondrats are thriving in a lawless, entitled environment.
    It would turn you against people looking at that sort of thing and it’s every night in every village.
    The pondrat population has well and truly thrived

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

anyone has a news media link on this? Interested to know what's going to happen to the shop owners.

I suppose poor men will be jailed and sued by the knacker as surely such level of self-defence would be way too shocking for our state?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

The new Irish don't seem to have a problem either, kicking the crap out of each other during the day in the centre of Dublin .

https://twitter.com/dubslife1/status/1401881725727301638?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Apparently the main street of the capital city of the country. Not a garda to be seen.

In other European capitals it wouldn't last a minute.

Police would have them detained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

The amount of times I have heard 'adults' excusing such behaviour is part of this epidemic of lacking of respect for our country and people. Kids will be kids, sure its only a laugh, at bit of fun, what else is there for them to do, teens letting off steam, they'll grow out of it etc. Currently its 'what do you expect when cooped up during lockdown'. Sh1t rolls down hill and while there are exceptions it does start with parenting.

Firstly its denial, not my little angel. Its parental example eg. littering and fly tipping is a widespread social scourge. Building respect starts on the small things like insisting on using litter bins and not bucking things out the window of a car. Greater attention to alcohol consumption and zero tolerance of drinking in public - enough confiscated drink being poured down the drain by Gardaí and groups might think twice about in your face public mobs gathering to get off ther collective faces.

Schooling and education play a part, will take time, but to expedite a change in attitude these kids dont have to have a criminal charge recorded against them at an age when they wont care (that'll kick in when they want to travel and get their visas to the US and Oz later in life), fines dont always cut it either especially if token or punitive so not paid. What would get under the skin of out of control kids is time in a classroom outside of normal school hours, evenings and weekends, on how to be a responsible citizen and increase the the time needed for lack of engagement with the process of reoffence. The basics of a system exists via the dept of ed if funded - it would be like extracurricular civics classes. Community service should be an ever present minimum for all petty juvenile offenders, there no shortage of the afore mentioned litter to be picked up - even better would be scraping the mountains of chewing gum off pavements. Visits to prison and mentoring by inmates - obviously not the hardened types but those who regret their incarceration. Schools can identify little dirtbags that may benefit from mentoring and imo confidence building schemes too - break the cycle of thinking its 'cool' to be scum and the only way to fit in.

I believe in a restorative justice system. On a base level young people seek approval, they do care what people think, bravado is often a defence mechanism. In a case like the Howth Station incident, facing the victims, if the victim is willing, is not something kids would generally find easy. It is a lot easier to sit across a courtroom or video link, head down, distanced from a victim, than it would be to sit in a room in proximity to the victim listening to the impact of their behaviour, no sugar coating with pictures of injuries caused eg. Victim impact statements are a half attempt that can be switched off from imo and really only serve to allow the victim feel heard rather than the culprit face the impact of their actions, when a verdict is decided and if a case gets to court.

Early intervention is key, a first offence needs to have consequence and not the current method of leniency for a first offence which gives a sense of lack of consequences. If admin capacity can be created cuts to childrens allowance as recompense to people/society should be considered as parents might just take action with their little delinquent if hit in the pocket but it does have to be considered that a lack of parenting can happen due to long hours in low paid jobs causing neglect etc.

Rapid turnover community magistrate type hearings would help free up court schedules and could hear more minor offences. They should have the power to confiscate and suspend access to various devices/social media especially if a gang in involved. It could be done were a phone provider is mandated to suspend a name and number from a network. There are work around I know but losing access to a phone for these teens is like losing a part of them and they would feel it. People complain of nanny state but of the shoe fits... what choice is there. (Why some countries didnt need to legislate for lockdowns as their people have a general respect for their country and what is asked of them is heeded).

In fear of annoying the very liberal types, PPS cards should double as photo ID and needed to purchase alcohol, phones, be produced upon request to Gardaí and maybe with data held on previous issues ala driving licenses. It may come to needing such a system.
    Yes greater Garda public presence, legal system reform and increased capacity, more social workers etc will all help but at a cost, would take years to impact on things and there needs to be political will. Reform and gov initiatives helped drive down road fatalities from the highs of the 1990s to some of the lowest figures in the world so such things can be achieved with the will to do so.

I'm not suggesting that public disorder incidents are not up in numbers, but there is certainly far greater exposure in these incidents being recorded via phones - is it dramatically worse than 80s/90s as there no shortage of scraps or gangs in my memory or is it more in our faces now and hence we as a society need to face up to a long term problem of disrespect?

Nesta going for the feckin Pulitzer here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Nesta going for the feckin Pulitzer here...

Well its is Current Affairs and not After Hours;)

Nesta99 wrote: »

In fear of annoying the very liberal types, PPS cards should double as photo ID and needed to purchase alcohol, phones, be produced upon request to Gardaí and maybe with data held on previous issues ala driving licenses.

The Irish Council for Civil Criminal Liberties won't be having that.

Funny that the usual suspects were moaning about the mere thought of gardai having body cameras a while back.

May be changing their tune after recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭enricoh

Apparently the main street of the capital city of the country. Not a garda to be seen.

In other European capitals it wouldn't last a minute.

Police would have them detained.

Not an issue this year but I always feel sorry for tourists when I see em on o Connell street!

enricoh wrote: »
    Not an issue this year but I always feel sorry for tourists when I see em on o Connell street!

The river end of the street is okish, the northern end is an absolute disgrace and quite embarrassing really. Very run down. The fast food joints and gambling holes are the icing on the cake.

Could you imagine a Doctor Quirkys on Oxford Street or the Champs-Élysées? No neither can I.

Never been enough civic pride in Ireland in general. Everything is feckless and not thought out properly.

We badly need the steamroller of gentrification to roll over the North inner city.

We badly need the steamroller of gentrification to roll over the North inner city.

Good luck with that but they are building whole blocks of new social only housing in and around the area.

Build Ballymun, get Ballymun.

What do they expect is going to happen?

Good luck with that but they are building whole blocks of new social only housing in and around the area.

Really? Where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The river end of the street is okish, the northern end is an absolute disgrace and quite embarrassing really. Very run down. The fast food joints and gambling holes are the icing on the cake.

Could you imagine a Doctor Quirkys on Oxford Street or the Champs-Élysées? No neither can I.

Never been enough civic pride in Ireland in general. Everything is feckless and not thought out properly.
    I can't believe the amount of money that is being spent on the site of Clery's, it will all be for nothing as the area will need to be completely dekipified for it to become an attraction again.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭hellyeah

I can't believe the amount of money that is being spent on the site of Clery's, it will all be for nothing as the area will need to be completely dekipified for it to become an attraction again.

Dekipified , love it. Laughing my head off 🀣

• Advertisement

Really? Where exactly?

Here is a selection I found on Twitter but there are others as well in D1 near Gardiner St and Talbot Street, Foley Street.

https://twitter.com/DaveyDonn/status/1401461526792445953

I thought govt policy was mixed tenure and this was in the past. I don't think there is any private apartments being built in the area at all actually. Could be wrong but I think it's all social.

It's not a good idea. It will only make things worse.

Advertisement