Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it finally time to switch? (side to drive on)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I would look forward to the hand-wringing over the changeovers at the border. This is not something to consider prior to a united Ireland.

Cost of the changover would be big for people. Wonder how they (and insurance etc) managed the interim periods - time limits to change car etc.

The cost would be astronomical..
    Burma was a dictatorship at the time and still had buses with doors on wrong side up to the 90s.. Hard to use Swedish example either because that was 60 years ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Yes it's time. A decent solid border with the North would sort out any issues with the issue of going into that part of the island

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Gaspode wrote: »
    Yes it's time. A decent solid border with the North would sort out any issues with the issue of going into that part of the island

that you Donald?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I was only thinking the other day that I hadn’t seen this pop up for a while.
    It’s too far gone to change, roads engineering is way beyond simple junctions, it would be an enormous expensive task with little pay off. The good news is though there is zero chance of it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Having a driver seat on the wrong side as all are right hand drive would be huge issues for safety such as over taking, seeing pedestrian and cyclists on bends etc etc....
    Lethal

Sweden example of switch in the 60's prove that's actually not the case.

I personally drive a car with steering wheel on the wrong side (in relation to traffic) everyday for over 2 years now, and don't see too much problems with that.

By saying that - don't get me wrong - I don't encourage a switch in Ireland. It wouldn't make any possible sense at all, neither economically, nor practically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Gaspode wrote: »

I think that nationalists in the North and anyone with an Irish passport should be entitled to drive on the right. That should move the problem away from the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

...So potentially the cost of a Honda in Ireland will go up and will take longer to get, with having to get them shipped from Asia, go through customs etc and also now rather than driving a Honda from the UK with UK parts , you'll now be driving a Japanese Honda with Japanese parts etc meaning it's going to be more expensive to get to ireland for starts and insurance companies don't like Japanese cars either. So it's a double loss there. That's just one example.
    (This isn't the question of "is your car an import" they know it is already based on the VIN and will quote as so)

Irish insurers are concerned with *used* imports from Japan and the risks/costs associated with them, not all cars manufactured in Japan. I have a car manufactured in Japan, insurance and parts supply is a non-issue.

The EU have a trade agreement with Japan, so tariffs on cars produced in Japan will be reduced to zero over the next few years (I forget when exactly). So this will be no different than a UK-produced car (assuming that meets UK content requirements, would also be tariff-free coming into the EU).
    markpb wrote: »
    The Swedes did this years ago. It's expensive but not impossible.

Did you read that article?

90% of vehicles in Sweden were already LHD before the change (as LHD passenger cars were already the norm there), there were less cars in Sweden in 1967 than there are in Ireland now, and many tram lines were abandoned and replaced with buses due to the costs of reconfiguration. Also Sweden were surrounded by LHD countries - we are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Probably have to be after unification with the North I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

There's already a few people driving on the right here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

There is no reason to put ourselves through such a crazy process. Steering wheels on the wrong side for 15 years increases accidents increased insurance premiums. What would be the advantages as you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

3b6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mods - can we add 'driving on the right' threads to the banned list.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think a month goes by on this forum without this topic being discussed to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think it’s worth a try. We could start with buses and trucks for a month, and if that goes well, follow on with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ship has sailed, never going to happen.

Could we do It? Yes, of course we could.
    Should we do it? No, what would be the point?
    Will we do it? No, it's a waste of time money and will be carnage.

Sweden did it in the 60s and I think Samoa did it so they could import from Australia but they were both in the halfpenny place with regards to traffic volumes that we have in Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Daft. Most of the civilized world drives on the left. Brits, Aussies, Japanese, err, ...Cypriots. why bother otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Probably have to be after unification with the North I guess

So never gonna happen so.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Daft. Most of the civilized world drives on the left. Brits, Aussies, Japanese, err, ...Cypriots. why bother otherwise?

India drive on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

More drive on right than the left to be fair. Still bad idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Am I right in thinking this is a little left wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Vestiapx wrote: »
    India drive on the left.

india they drive where they like, ever watch the travel shows?..its chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• cheaper cars from the larger european market
    • robo-taxi delays while the autonomous software catches up
    • knock on motor insurance reduction delays

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

If you wanted to change something for the sake of changing, change the yellow diamond road signs to red/white triangular ones like elsewhere UK/Europe

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

celtic_oz wrote: »
    • cheaper cars from the larger european market
    • robo-taxi delays while the autonomous software catches up
    • knock on motor insurance reduction delays

- VRT/other charges to compensate
    - By the time we see robo-taxis here the software will be well advanced
    - How does this affect insurance? More importantly, do you REALLY think it would?

But yea, no..... unworkable, unnecessary and not going to happen no matter how often this topic comes up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And here we go again, the same old claims made and the reality of how the world works seems to be ignored.

Making the pre tax price of cars cheaper doesn't equate to making cars cheaper here from the European market. It just gives more scope to raise taxes on them. Our cars are already some of the cheapest in Europe when you remove the taxes from them.

As for insurance, your giving insurance companies reason to raise premiums further if we have start having a tow tier system of rhd cars driving on the left or vise versa being an added risk.

Drive in the middle of the road and all roads a one-way system - then we can import from where we like.

If you miss your turn for Dublin though you'll have to drive to cork, kerry, onwards to galway and donegal then across to Louth before getting a second attempt- ya won't do it a second time i tell ya! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

endacl wrote: »
    I think it’s worth a try. We could start with buses and trucks for a month, and if that goes well, follow on with the rest.

or alternatively we could do it on a part time basis at first until we get used to it. Say on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Any suggestion on what we should do with those who already drive on the right on country roads here.?
    Would they adapt easily to driving on the left....:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Accidents would plummet if this happened.

At least for a while... "risk compensation"

Advertisement