Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Past hobbies

• 07-06-2020 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

Do you have a hobby that you were really into as an adult but you gave up or just stopped doing because life got in the way?

Will you get back into it?

I spent two years trying to play golf, lessons and all, but I was so ****e and made no progress and I couldn't stick it. Sold on the clubs and spent the proceeds on magic beans! Didn't regret it then and still dont now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Spent years studying fine art, got a degree in painting from NCAD.

Haven't painted a thing in over a decade. Sad really! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I taught myself to juggle in my early 20's, then balloon modelling.

Then I found out juggling kids, wife and work was way more enjoyable and haven't practised in years, now I can barely keep a simple 3 ball cascade going.

Shoot me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

guitar, when I was coming home from work fûcked dot com, all I wanted to do was relax and veg out, the focus, patience and discipline for it had left me.. again now though I’m taking the extra time to get reacquainted with the instrument, I’m practicing an hour a day, improving and happy with the direction those improvements are taking.. I won’t be on a stage anytime soon but I’m happy to become proficient again and good at something that I enjoy and gives me a lot of pleasure, gives me a release, a challenge and a creative input to my day which has and always will be important to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Used to play golf but gave that up when I just didn't have the time to juggle career, family, hobbies etc. In fact have no hobbies at all now.

One benefit from Covid is priorities have changed. I'm not working myself into an early grave commuting for a job I hate. Working from home as much as possible and will use the time freed up to take up hobbies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

paragliding - got into it when I lived in South Africa and would go every weekend. Not so much that life got in the way, but lack of opportunity on other countries, plus lugging a paraglider from country to country isn't so easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

RC aircraft, used to be very much into it, have a nice helicopter and fairly high end radio system, brand new spare engines etc rotting away on top of a wardrobe...just realised it's been over 10 years since I flew it despite moving with it to 2 different countries, might get to sell it as an antique!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I have far too many, but one I haven't engaged in for many years is angling which I used to enjoy even though I caught b****r all. I must have lost enough tackle around Wicklow pier to restock a shop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's the other way around for me, I was big into things like fishing and playing musical instruments and even bloody golf with my dad, and in recent years I have gotten back into these things. Even with lessons I still can't hit the thing properly with drivers by the way, you're not on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I don't really seem to get out on the road on two wheels clipping ditches any more, despite life being relatively comfortable and serene - some bullshite or other always seems to interrupt me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Coin collecting and writing. There is a novel in there dying to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

storker wrote: »
    I have far too many, but one I haven't engaged in for many years is angling which I used to enjoy even though I caught b****r all. I must have lost enough tackle around Wicklow pier to restock a shop...

Same with the angling , during a recent shed clearout and house tidy up , I rediscovered 6 fishing rods , various reels and equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Let's us now if theres any change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Gaming, haven't played much myself since the Xbox 360 days due to kids arriving. Have BioShock 2, Fallout 3, Alan Wake and Assassins Creed 2 sitting in a drawer under the TV since then and they were never played. Keep looking at them every time I open that drawer and would love to get time to play again. Not sure if the 360 would even boot now!

Play a little bit of switch with my son these days, picked up BiosShock 2 last week and will get try to get into that now. But these games need at least 2 hour sessions for me to get anything out of them, and that is hard to get without interruptions. 30 mins here or there is not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

jester77 wrote: »
    Gaming, haven't played much myself since the Xbox 360 days due to kids arriving. Have BioShock 2, Fallout 3, Alan Wake and Assassins Creed 2 sitting in a drawer under the TV since then and they were never played. Keep looking at them every time I open that drawer and would love to get time to play again. Not sure if the 360 would even boot now!

Play a little bit of switch with my son these days, picked up BiosShock 2 last week and will get try to get into that now. But these games need at least 2 hour sessions for me to get anything out of them, and that is hard to get without interruptions. 30 mins here or there is not worth it.

Same for me. I've amassed a huge game collection between an XBox 360, PS3, PS4, Vita & the PC. Hundreds of games and the vast majority are unplayed. With a 3 year old I just don't get that much time and while I might get a little bit of time in the evening, I'm usually just too tired for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

Painting Warhammer 40K miniatures. I just cannot seem to find the patience for it anymore, I bought a load again recently with the best intentions of getting back into it but just can't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As long as the novel isn’t about coin collecting :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Homelander wrote: »
    Painting Warhammer 40K miniatures. I just cannot seem to find the patience for it anymore, I bought a load again recently with the best intentions of getting back into it but just can't.

Funny was only talking to some friends about this. I did it as a teenager but lost interested. 2 friends picked it up again. Both in relationships and in their 30s. No kids though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭ngunners

mike_ie wrote: »
    paragliding - got into it when I lived in South Africa and would go every weekend. Not so much that life got in the way, but lack of opportunity on other countries, plus lugging a paraglider from country to country isn't so easy.

Paragliding is a great activity. I did it for a year (once a week) when living in France and have been meaning to take it up again ever since. That was ten years ago! The years don’t be long passing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Do you have a hobby that you were really into as an adult but you gave up or just stopped doing because life got in the way?

Will you get back into it?

I spent two years trying to play golf, lessons and all, but I was so ****e and made no progress and I couldn't stick it. Sold on the clubs and spent the proceeds on magic beans! Didn't regret it then and still dont now.

Golf is it's own worst enemy considering it is so hard to get good at it initially. The turnover is big considering how demanding it is. It needs you to become competent at multiple skills to become proficient however considering you can play it until you're old then you have a lifetime to achieve proficiency. Those “aha” moments you get after sometimes years of frustration make it worth it. Think of it as a martial art, building and honing a repeating swing over the years. The beauty of Golf is that the handicap system allows you to be competitive if you wish to be regardless of age and skill level. A 70 year old hacker could feasibly beat Rory McIlroy on a good day. You can play competitively or, like me, play mainly alone, two balls off the tee, match play against myself. There's no better feeling for me than a late summer evening, lengthening shadows, the course practically to myself, bombing a drive, flushing an iron into the middle of the green or hitting a crisp pitch shot stone dead. Anyone wondering about the appeal of Golf then an analogy I would use would be imagining the clubs as tuning forks which physically resonate when you hit them as they're meant to be hit. With a family now, I don't play as much and find the upkeep of the skills more noticeable. If you're competitive then it can feel like trying to keep plates spinning i.e. honing the putting, short game, irons, Driver, flexibility etc. YouTube is a big factor in access to instruction. I'd recommend Canadian Shawn Clement for an intuitive based instructor if you ever decide to take it up again

Let's us now if theres any change.

I'm afraid it would only be small change.

• Advertisement

I have not built anything in ages. Getting the itch again recently. I need a new seriously nutty DIY project.

Chritopher Hitchens once wryly admitted that "There is a novel in everyone" before then adding with his usual humor " - and for most people that is where it should remain" :)

I have not built anything in ages. Getting the itch again recently. I need a new seriously nutty DIY project.

Chritopher Hitchens once wryly admitted that "There is a novel in everyone" before then adding with his usual humor " - and for most people that is where it should remain" :)

Yes, Hitchens could be a fairly miserable lad.

Yes, Hitchens could be a fairly miserable lad.

So can Jack Dee :) I quite like people who can make misery funny in a wry and sardonic and intelligent way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I've had hobbies in pastimes

R/C Boats.

Bought my first, a Nikko from Dunnes Stores for £20 punts. Sailed it in Bushy Park near me. In an age well before digitial cameras.

Bought my next boat from rnli shop rathmines road.
    Cost €50

Now, Steve Jobs might roll in his grave but I put an iPod nano the only one with a video camera which couldn't take pictures and made my very first YouTube video with this on a boat trip.

Boat developed a fault, no one gave a fook about repairing service etc.

Then I bought a Nikko boat a step up from my first model in Toymaster flagship store in Mary Street Dublin 1. €60.
    Ran it on Blessington lakes and Dromod harbour among other places. Popped my Toshiba B10 at some risk on it. I still have the B10 to this day.
    Then, I left the boat to rot.
    Bought a serious hobbyist boat from an online hobby store here in Dublin for €150. Sailed once or twice on Blessington lakes. Mounted a thumbcam on it. Uploaded video on YouTube
    Lastly I bought a €20 "SeaLord" piece of shít from SMYTHS. I removed the cage of plastic so as to protect the kids from injury to the propellors. Popped a metal case thumbcam on it and it capsized. That was that.

Haven't sailed r/c boats since 2014. Adult wise, joining a club you will be a long time a "small fry" in their scheme of things but that's another story.

jester77 wrote: »

Same, I’m just getting back into it. Did the update on the PS4 a few weeks ago, and grabbed FIFA 20 just before lockdown so that was a good call. Started GTA V from scratch last night. Have a few old Medal of Honor games lying around somewhere too that might see the light of day again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From 16 until maybe 22 I learned several instruments.
    Have not played any in years :(

biko wrote: »
    From 16 until maybe 22 I learned several instruments.
    Have played any in years :(

Back to YouTube pronto with ya to re learn each of them by video. ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I used to like spending time stroking my small falcon.
    It was a hobby of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

lots of cycling, 200km a week on average. and ….

Then the kids started having training, and matches in the evenings/afternoon/morning at the weekend.
    Killed any enjoyment, when I knew I "Had" to be back at a certain time for us to go to match/training.
    Eventually gave up due to constant rushing around ….

Just got back on the bike during the shutdown, I am enjoying it, but not how unfcuking fit ive gotten !! :(:/

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

Hacking Linux/ apache web server, but i gave that up in favour of creative writing, which i do 6 days a week.

I want to go back to the hacking, especially looking at the Linux kernel. Actually, I want to try to write my own operating system.

Ahhh, there's just not enough hours in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Redneck Reject1971

I used to do lot of tribal beadwork when I was younger,for the tourists.Still have the loom and seed beads,but just can't find the motivation for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Cycling and golf. I used to do lots of both but now my cycling is a commute (short) and golf is about 4 rounds a year.
    Problem with golf is it is not worth the investment for the time poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I used to be a total DIY nut and a pretty good one, but took on larger and larger projects until one day realised that the time spent on what was supposed to be a hobby though satisfying was getting way out of control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Ridin' - used to be at it morning noon and night in our first few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

ablelocks wrote: »

And what happened?

ablelocks wrote: »

What made you stop ? Not able for it ? *gets coat*

Advertisement