Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ahmaud Arbery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,640 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A 'warm welcome' in the showers means prison rape. You know that. By your logic a black man who kills a white should be turned out by the Ayran Brotherhood.

Some imagination you have

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Overheal wrote: »
    Some imagination you have

We know how wild an imagination the OP has from yesterday! No suprise those supporting him also enjoy fantasies :pac:

The neighborhood where the indecent happened. IMHO, this man could not have been cornered, take a look, he could have ran ANYWHERE but chose to charge at the people making a citizens arrest. Also note that this estate is 12 miles from where Arbury lived. If he was jogging there, he had just run a mini marathon and still had to get home! He wasnt jogging by the way as we can see from the video's in the OP.

https://earth.google.com/web/search/Satilla+Drive,+Brunswick,+GA,+USA/@31.1255528,-81.556945,3.78945886a,888.8294071d,35y,0h,45t,0r/data=CosBGmESWwokMHg4OGU1MjdhYmIyYTRiMTVmOjB4ZjhmOTJjYzllMDYxNTZlGdXrcTokID9AIe0qpPykY1TAKiFTYXRpbGxhIERyaXZlLCBCcnVuc3dpY2ssIEdBLCBVU0EYAiABIiYKJAkmSFdrUWk0QBEoSFdrUWk0wBn2FXSoM9MvQCE8W5QTyoZVwCgC

Only guilty people need to flee into the woods?

They chased him out of the neighborhood for 4 minutes. Then they jumped out armed and dangerous at him.

Tell me where you can run to where 3 armed men in 2 vehicles wouldn’t have gunned you down in the back? There’s no more than a split second to judge these men brandishing shotguns at you. You don’t get to google them from an armchair first, or consult google maps. Also keep in mind you’ve already been jogging for quite some distance, so you can forget sprint stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Decades ago children here used to play a chasing game called ****** hunt ,we didn't know why or where it came from, young and innocent I suppose for the time ,

This is what should be held up and used to educate people this is a ****** hunt ,take several armed white men ,a pick up truck and a black man running down a road before being gunned down

,yehaw boys we got one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Only guilty people need to flee into the woods?

They chased him out of the neighborhood for 4 minutes. Then they jumped out armed and dangerous at him.

Tell me where you can run to where 3 armed men in 2 vehicles wouldn’t have gunned you down in the back? There’s no more than a split second to judge these men brandishing shotguns at you. You don’t get to google them from an armchair first, or consult google maps. Also keep in mind you’ve already been jogging for quite some distance, so you can forget sprint stamina.

You run into the guy with a shotgun? :D

• Advertisement

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    You run into the guy with a shotgun? :D

That’s why it’s called Fight or Flight.

Flight had already been exhausted as an option for the prior 4 minutes. Then there’s an escalation where the rednecks wear you down enough to hop out and brandish shotguns at you.

What do you do? Your only options are to defend yourself, flee, or surrender, with the latter two options being historically perilous for black Americans in the state of Georgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

That’s why it’s called Fight or Flight.

Flight had already been exhausted as an option for the prior 4 minutes. Then there’s an escalation where the rednecks wear you down enough to hop out and brandish shotguns at you.

What do you do? Your only options are to defend yourself, flee, or surrender, with the latter two options being historically perilous for black Americans in the state of Georgia.

You can take that to the conspiracy theories forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Are media just trying darken his name? I mean you can’t just go around shooting people like what they did to him and think that’s acceptable. Be all out war.

Are media just trying darken his name? I mean you can’t just go around shooting people like what they did to him and think that’s acceptable. Be all out war.

No the media are generally reporting actual facts.

Its the OP and his ilk trying to discredit the victim to save the fat Batman and Robin from any consequences.

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    You can take that to the conspiracy theories forum ;)

It’s fine right here, according to these same very fine apologists who simultaneously tell us they are free speech absolutists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 patsfan1286

Interesting how these type of stories evolve. When first reported by the MSM, this guy was an innocent jogger gunned down in the street by raging Nazis.

It appears now that he was up to maybe more than physical fitness.

Not saying he should have been killed like he was, however Georgia is a 'hold your ground' state. Having seen the video, it appears Ahmed attempted to disarm the redneck. Legally that seems justified.

We could use more of that here. If I catch a burgaler in my house, I will use lethal force. Law be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm not defending the shooters by any means nor do I think they were in any way justified in their aggressive course of action but I am perplexed by most media reports painting him as an innocent athlete who was out jogging when he was randomly attacked and shot?

There is a hell of a lot more to the story than that.

Interesting how these type of stories evolve. When first reported by the MSM, this guy was an innocent jogger gunned down in the street by raging Nazis.

It appears now that he was up to maybe more than physical fitness.

Not saying he should have been killed like he was, however Georgia is a 'hold your ground' state. Having seen the video, it appears Ahmed attempted to disarm the redneck. Legally that seems justified.

We could use more of that here. If I catch a burgaler in my house, I will use lethal force. Law be damned.

The problem here is he wasn’t a burglar and the McMichaels were not an injured party.

Nobody begrudges someone defending their home, especially occupied, from invasion. Your neighbor gunning down a late night jogger because he suspects something he has no knowledge of, then you have a neighborhood patrolled by a gang, not the neighborhood watch.

Jogging at night isn’t a crime by the way. I realize some southerners and their apologists think sunset laws are still enforced in Georgia. They are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Homelander wrote: »

Can anyone link to what went on before he was shot so?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He was unarmed ,he took nothing from the house under construction ,yes he was arrested when he was 19 ,
    Gunned down at 25 by white men under no threat or under law enforcement activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Having read a few different articles about this, my understanding is as follows.

On the day in question, video evidence shoes Arbery entering a house under construction, looking around for about 5 minutes, then leaving again. There is no suggestion he stole anything on that occasion.

That makes it a misdemeanour, not a felony, and for a citizen's arrest, the arresting citizen(s) must have witnessed or have 'immediate knowledge' of the crime. Being told about it by a neighbour is unlikely to constituted immediate knowledge based on the case of
    Winn Dixie Stores Inc. v. Nichols, 205 Ga. App. 308, 422 S.E. 2d 209 (1992):
    In this case, a Winn Dixie customer complained to management that another customer stole her wallet. The court held that the limited rights of merchants to detain or arrest a person reasonably believed to have committed a shoplifting offense do not authorize a merchant to detain or arrest individuals accused by store patrons of committing crimes against other patrons. To make the arrest, an employee would have had to actually see the criminal act committed. Therefore, it was ruled that management had no authority to arrest the alleged criminal.The court suggested that the only person who could have made the citizen's arrest was the robbed customer herself.

As they did not have the 'immediate knowledge' that he had committed a misdemeanour, they could not legitimately make the citizen's arrest they say they were attempting to make.

If my understanding of it is correct, they are in deep deep trouble.

The two guys jumped out of their truck with shotgun and revolver in hand, so the idea that his attempting to wrestle the one of the weapons away from them gives them justifiable grounds to shoot him is not one I think will convince any jury either.

I'm not defending the shooters by any means nor do I think they were in any way justified in their aggressive course of action but I am perplexed by most media reports painting him as an innocent athlete who was out jogging when he was randomly attacked and shot?

I’m sort of an expert in this explanation. You’re looking at what happens when the press and the public only learn about what is known at the time.

Nobody followed this case until the video surfaced. And that’s what the public sees on the video: a jogger getting mugged and murdered on suspicion of a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The neighborhood where the indecent happened. IMHO, this man could not have been cornered, take a look, he could have ran ANYWHERE but chose to charge at the people making a citizens arrest. Also note that this estate is 12 miles from where Arbury lived. If he was jogging there, he had just run a mini marathon and still had to get home! He wasnt jogging by the way as we can see from the video's in the OP.

Whats your source for that? Because the New York Times reported that Arbury was two miles from his house, not the 12 you're claiming.

The NYT did a complete video re-construction of the case and the lead up to his death. In it you can see that he was running up the street and being chased by two SUVs. When they caught up to him he doubled back and went back down the road, the SUVs turned around and then began chasing them again. They caught up with him and he doubled back trying to get away for a second time and they U turned again to pursue him. At this point he had been spinting up and down the same road for almost 5 minutes being chased by the two SUVs, one of which had McMichaels senior in the flatbed part of the truck brandishing a weapon.

This is the definitive video on what happened and how it went down. Incidentally it is done by Malachy Browne who is Vincents nephew and has a Pulitzer Prize for his reporting in Syria.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007142853/ahmaud-arbery-video-911-georgia.html

Aside from all that there is serious questions to be asked of the county police who tried to cover this up for over two months until the video of his death got leaked. State prosecutors have taken over the case now and the McMichaels have been charged with murder and rightfully so because thats what this was.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Whats your source for that? Because the New York Times reported that Arbury was two miles from his house, not the 12 you're claiming.

The NYT did a complete video re-construction of the case and the lead up to his death. In it you can see that he was running up the street and being chased by two SUVs. When they caught up to him he doubled back and went back down the road, the SUVs turned around and then began chasing them again. They caught up with him and he doubled back trying to get away for a second time and they U turned again to pursue him. At this point he had been spinting up and down the same road for almost 5 minutes being chased by the two SUVs, one of which had McMichaels senior in the flatbed part of the truck brandishing a weapon.

This is the definitive video on what happened and how it went down. Incidentally it is done by Malachy Browne who is Vincents nephew and has a Pulitzer Prize for his reporting in Syria.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007142853/ahmaud-arbery-video-911-georgia.html

Aside from all that there is serious questions to be asked of the county police who tried to cover this up for over two months until the video of his death got leaked. State prosecutors have taken over the case now and the McMichaels have been charged with murder and rightfully so because thats what this was.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Either it’s okay to shoot someone you suspect might be a criminal or it’s not.

The appropriate thing to do if you see someone behaving suspiciously is to call the police, not chase him down with a gun.

Arbery’s record is completely irrelevant and at a pathetic attempt at victim blaming. He was unarmed and did not seek a confrontation, his attackers did.

If an Irish person living in America died in the same circumstances we would be rightfully outraged.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that I had never seen any evidence for the 12 miles claim. Now I know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Its a sad state of affairs when you think it's justified to follow a man in cars and shotguns and blow him away in broad daylight

Kid Chameleon also repeatedly claims property was stolen in excess of $1000.

Kid Chameleon never provided any proof of this.

New York Times makes it clear there was no property stolen in any of the incidents of people trespassing on the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Shows why footage like this needs to be released sooner and not withheld from the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

If it wasn't wrong, then why was there a cover up...the video leaked and now 70 days later here we are. On top of that it took millions of emails and hundreds of thousands of people in a public outcry ringing their leaders to have arrests made. That is not a democratic justice system. Even Joe Biden said in his opinion that Ahmaud was killed in cold blood.

Those two men left their house that day armed and with a camera man determined to make a kill that day. Residents in that area sent in evidence with screenshots of a private FB neighbourhood group showing that they were planning to kill any wrong people who came into their neighbourhood if they get the chance. They were looking for a "thrill kill." Those residents claimed the FB group basically functioned like an armed mob. They targeted this guy and planned to confront him. Someone left a written note at his memorial that said "I should have stopped them." The neighbourhood military watch was basically in on it.
    McMichaels sister posted a picture of Ahmaud's body on Snapchat (sounds like the police weren't the only ones who got a call to come). Lovely girl.

School classmates of Travis McMichael say that he was the most obsessed and racist man they ever knew.

According to a police report, Gregory McMichael told police he and his son followed Arbery because he fit the description of a man involved in several recent break-ins in the neighborhood.
    A police official and documents obtained by Brunswick News contradict those claims. According to the documents, just one auto burglary took place in that area in the two months before Arbery’s shooting.

Even if Ahmaud acted illegally (and if he did enter that construction site for a quick look around as others did, leaving empty handed by the way, then all the other white people including two boys are on the same level and they're still alive/not hunted/presumed guilty, etc) there is the police force for arrests and a court of law and justice. It should not be in the hands of some glorified neighbourhood watch looking for a thrill kill. The owner of the house said he didn't mind if he was there, either. It's pretty common to look around at sites, I have done this with friends in the US looking at homes being built in their neighbourhood. We are white, so guess it's all cool.

It was covered up for a reason, because it's outrageous.

2u2me wrote: »
    Shows why footage like this needs to be released sooner and not withheld from the public.

It wouldn’t have even been released.

The McMichaels leaked the video to social media themselves. They only did it because they thought it would help their defense. Somehow.

Rather all it did was alert the public to a strange set of circumstances of police coverup etc. and poisoned the jury pool against them. Public reaction necessitated a grand jury and saw them finally booked for the murder.

Which is also what the apologists do with counter-media: poison the jury pool. Dump a bunch of ‘news’ about Arbery’s precious body camera footage with police as though it was germane to his murder, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Kid Chameleon also repeatedly claims property was stolen in excess of $1000.

Kid Chameleon never provided any proof of this.

New York Times makes it clear there was no property stolen in any of the incidents of people trespassing on the property.
    The really important thing to take away from this incident is that if the video did not surface the men involved would not even have been charged.
    An unarmed man is shot dead in the street, and the perpetrators don't even face charges.
    Everyone is innocent until proven guilty but an incident like this needs to be resolved in court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

MadYaker wrote: »
    Didn’t those two worthless dirtbags get arrested and charged anyway? Hope they each get put in cells with some friendly African American chaps. I’m sure they’ll get a warm “welcome” in the showers.
    Are you encouraging the the commission of crime ? Or just letting one of your sexual fanfares fine wild !:eek:

joe40 wrote: »
    The really important thing to take away from this incident is that if the video did not surface the men involved would not even have been charged.
    An unarmed man is shot dead in the street, and the perpetrators don't even face charges.
    Everyone is innocent until proven guilty but an incident like this needs to be resolved in court.

Good ole boys thought they were the arbitrators of Georgia Justice and flew too close to the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

This is a very interesting case in the US. Ahmaud Arbery, 25 died from gunshot wounds obtained during a citizens arrest attempt by Gregory and Travis McMichaels on the 23rd of February 2020.

The media version of events:

Ahmaud Arbery was jogging peacefully down a Georgia neighborhood when he was pounced upon by two white supremacists. They stalked him and murdered him for being black.

What the media are not talking about:

Arbery was on probation for burglary and weapons charges. He was seen and filmed at a property in the neighborhood on multiple occasions since October 2019, sometimes during the night. Things had gone missing from the property including 2,500 Dollars worth of fishing gear, this led the owner to install security cameras and contact the police. The police then asked the owner to report any more issues to local man and former law enforcement officer Gregory McMichaels (who had previously investigated Arbery on the burglary charges). Arbery's criminal past involved trying to smuggle a loaded pistol into a college basketball game & burglary of a store where he was caught with a stolen television.

This website has the raw footage of the fatal indecent (warning, graphic content in the video)

https://hoodsite.com/ahmaud-arbery-shooting-raw-video-black-jogger-chased-and-shot-to-death-by-father-and-son-in-georgia/

In this video (shot minutes before the fatal indecent) we see Arbery WALKING (not jogging) towards the house, standing outside it for a time and then entering the property for circa four minutes. We then see a neighbor emerge and make a phone call to the police. When Arbery see's this neighbor, he takes off sprinting down the road towards the location of his death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylOEBqHXOVQ

Here we see another incident involving Arbery where he refuses to allow a search of his car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEWhyrfgagA

Sorry if some of the links disappear, I am finding sources of information on this indecent disappear and reappear at different URL'S (probably due to this being a very raw case). This is a complex issue and I am sure I have left out some things in this post but I will endeavor to provide all information possible during the discussion.

My opinion:

I believe, based on the video evidence, that Arbery was up to no good at the property. He was on probation and another strike would have sent him to jail. I think he decided he wasn't going to go down and tried to get out of the situation by attempting to arm himself with Travis McMichaels shotgun. If you look at the footage of the fatal incident, he had innumerable avenues to avoid the McMichaels. He could have went ANYWHERE but chose to charge at them. I think their most prevalent falsehood in the mainstream narrative is that he was "cornered" by the McMichael. We can see from the footage that THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

Leaving aside Arbery's track record (I'll take your word for it that he was on probation) the McMichaels chose to pursue him WITH guns, effectively taking the law into their own hands. They instigated the confrontation and then shot and killed him.

It's one thing to use deadly force when your home is being broken into and you have reason to believe that your life may be in danger. It's quite a different matter when the invader has fled, to arm yourself and go after him when there is no longer a threat to your life.

Was it even the McMichaels' home that was "invaded" by Arbery?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement