Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you a truth seeker?

Options
  • 16-05-2020 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

There is nothing quite like thinking about the big questions of our existence: What is the meaning of life? Does God exists, and if He does, what does that mean for me? What is the good life? What is happiness?

Sometimes I think that life throws so many little things our way that we can go through it without pondering these questions. Distractions, the grind of daily life and our immediate necessities all make it difficult to just sit down, read a bit and have a good think.

Anyone thinking about these things? Do you keep looking until you have found what you can satisfy yourself to be the truth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I just don't think about it because it's depressing imo

Waste of time..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yes, I do: all the time.

That's why I get depressed. But I can't stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

The next sentence is false. The preceding sentence is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sounds like an awful lot of effort tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The problem with most of these questions is that we'll never know the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I'm pretty sure this world is some sort of hell, or at least purgatory.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Anyone thinking about these things?
    No.

What's for tea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

The problem with most of these questions is that we'll never know the answers.

As old Descartes said - you only thing be sure of your own existence. Because you are experiencing it directly.

The only other thing you could experience directly is a hypothetical, super conciousness. Eg Zeus, Allah etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Who were asking the same thing, fifty years ago:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Have a good time all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

Not really, I mean if I did know these things would it make any real difference to my life? I think not tbh.
    My happiness has nothing to do with an abstract concept, I feel it is out of place with the line that have set up in the OP.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Truth and God don't go in the same sentence; so no, not to your obscure standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I dont believe for a millisecond that every human being in existence hasn't questioned what is beyond this world, not even the hardcore atheists with their smug and too-sure-to-be-true judgments that there is only the material world, no spiritual realm, nothing.
    Its the mystery that has haunted humankind since our inception- what happens to you when you die? Do you just enter a deep sleep, do you go to various religions descriptions of heaven and hell? Do you finally go "home" after a brief stay on earth in physical form on your journey from a young soul to a more evolved, wiser soul? Who knows, certainly I haven't a clue. I personally believe that we are here to learn some lesson or to evolve before either going to our spiritual home, maybe reincarnating again to learn lessons missed.
    I know science has answered a lot of mysteries which previous civilizations attributed to supernatural but the biggest questions remain- what came before the Big Bang? What is the purpose of our emotions and intuition, our gut feelings which exits outside of bodily requirements? Yes, im a truth seeker.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nullzero wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this world is some sort of hell, or at least purgatory.
    I seem to recall that was the belief of a "heretical" branch of early Christianity, the Gnostics. That the physical universe was being run by an imperfect god, or even a devil, most associated with the Abrahamic god and that the true god was a higher being that could be only reached through personal experience and mystic knowledge and for many Jesus was an extension of this higher god(who was both male and female), either directly or like a Buddha figure who attained enlightenment and sought to pass this on.

Reading the Old Testament you could see their point as far as a devilish deity going on. He's a nasty, hot tempered and capricious git a lot of the time. Mass murder? No bother. Sadistic trails of his followers? Yup. Genocide of the entire population of the world? Gabriel, hold me beer, I'm turning the taps on. The saw the serpent in the Garden of Eden as more an enlightening presence freeing humans from ignorance, whereas the god guy wanted to keep them "innocent" and thick, yet puts a great big tree with fruit of knowledge in the middle to tempt them. As you do when you're a git.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

what came before the Big Bang?
    Well since - as the theory goes - spacetime itself didn't exist before the big bang, so there was no before. Which is a hard nut to crack in our minds, though I always thought it a bit of a fudge myself.
    What is the purpose of our emotions and intuition, our gut feelings which exits outside of bodily requirements?
    I'm honestly struggling to think of a single example of one that can't be explained by our bodily requirements and the requirements of our society(from family to the wider human group).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

The truth is this is all a dream, the waking state is no more real than the dream state.

To whom does the universe come?

Part of the problem with these kind of things, is once a certain kind of people start doing it, you end up with ridiculous assumptions and asking stupid questions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

The truth is this is all a dream, the waking state is no more real than the dream state.

Now you're talking my language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,346 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't seek a truth or a meaning to life, if there is one I won't discover it.

The lockdown has made me think about all the time work eats up though - getting there and home again, pointless meetings, pointless initiatives, pointless reviews etc. I'm still doing what I'm paid to do from home, but without all the corporate bs.

I'm not stressed, tired or dreading the mornings anymore. I feel about 15 years younger and I'm dreading the return to the relentless rat race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Nice deepity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Truth... What is Truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I dont believe for a millisecond that every human being in existence hasn't questioned what is beyond this world, not even the hardcore atheists with their smug and too-sure-to-be-true judgments that there is only the material world, no spiritual realm, nothing.
    Its the mystery that has haunted humankind since our inception- what happens to you when you die? Do you just enter a deep sleep, do you go to various religions descriptions of heaven and hell? Do you finally go "home" after a brief stay on earth in physical form on your journey from a young soul to a more evolved, wiser soul? Who knows, certainly I haven't a clue. I personally believe that we are here to learn some lesson or to evolve before either going to our spiritual home, maybe reincarnating again to learn lessons missed.
    I know science has answered a lot of mysteries which previous civilizations attributed to supernatural but the biggest questions remain- what came before the Big Bang? What is the purpose of our emotions and intuition, our gut feelings which exits outside of bodily requirements? Yes, im a truth seeker.

The original christians believed in reincarnation. When Jesus was born he was supposed to have been reincarnated I think over 30 times by then.

When the romans took over the religion they whitewashed that out along with other aspects, anyone who tried to follow the old ways or preach them was executed.

Christianity was very different to what we have now.

re the big bang, ancient religions like hinduism had some cool ideas about how the universe is repeatedly being destroyed and created, there are scientists who agree with that, a universe that expands and contracts back to almost nothing, on a constant loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

The Truth is not knowledge,it's a Feeling.
    When you feel it,nothing matters much any more.Bliss,Nirvana,The kingdom of heaven within you.:)

Q.Where is it?
    A.Its under all your Emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I dont believe for a millisecond that every human being in existence hasn't questioned what is beyond this world

Even babies that die straight after birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

What is the meaning of life? Does God exists, and if He does, what does that mean for me? What is the good life? What is happiness?Anyone thinking about these things? Do you keep looking until you have found what you can satisfy yourself to be the truth?
    1) the period of time when a person is alive
    2) yes He exists. He made everything. If He didn't when you get up in the morning and open the door there would be nothing outside.
    3) a British television comedy
    4) happiness is a temporary pleasant emotion
    5) at any moment there are people thinking about these things
    6) there are many truths, Grasshopper. You must keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

w9FCDfH.gif?noredirect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I welcome the distractions, since I know all the answers anyway...

Advertisement