Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a truth seeker?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I do not seek the truth, the truth seeks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I personally believe that we are here to learn some lesson or to evolve before either going to our spiritual home, maybe reincarnating again to learn lessons missed.

Jaysus, so do you reckon maybe Hitler, or Stalin or someone, has come back as the Coronavirus...?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you are a truth seeker, then you are a scientist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

upupup wrote: »
    The Truth is not knowledge,it's a Feeling.
    When you feel it,nothing matters much any more.Bliss,Nirvana,The kingdom of heaven within you.:)

Q.Where is it?
    A.Its under all your Emotions.

Why 'under' them?
    Why not above them, or even adjacent to them?
    Why, in your post above, does 'Emotions' begin with a capital letter?

And while I'm at it, why under your 'emotions'?
    Why not under your 'shoe', or under the green recycling bin outside your mother's house?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Why 'under' them?
    Why not above them, or even adjacent to them?
    Why, in your post above, does 'Emotions' begin with a capital letter?

And while I'm at it, why under your 'emotions'?
    Why not under your 'shoe', or under the green recycling bin outside your mother's house?

Why all the "whys"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Why all the "whys"?

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We’ll find out. In the mean time I’m not going to worry about it. When I get up in the morning I try to be a good person as best I can, I attempt to enjoy life and contribute a little to the enjoyment of others as best as I can...focused on the NOW instead of the next.

What is ‘beyond this world’ ? We don’t find out until we get beyond it.. I don’t plan on finding out anytime soon.

There are hundreds of religions in the world... all with different ideas and attitudes as to what’s in the afterlife, how to get there, what to do and what not to do.. they cannot all be right, they aren’t.

So I say ignore them all.. follow your own compass, be a good person, be nice, contribute to the happiness, wellbeing and success of yourself and others around you as best you can...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

L1011 wrote: »
    Truth and God don't go in the same sentence; so no, not to your obscure standards.

Truth and God?
    Obscure standards?
    Don't tell me, you're an atheist right?

Fecking hell you lot love to let people know.

Why not?

:)...........

Its about what makes us happy.
    If a concept of God makes us happy.Great!
    If a concept of no God makes us happy.Great!...but if and when we do find that happiness,we have not found the truth or the way for everyone,we have found the way to happiness for our self so best not to force our religion or atheist view on anyone.Share it if you wish but don't expect all to agree or understand.We're all different.

The truth is in us and we won't get that eureka moment from someone else's answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't think there's any meaning to anything, no afterlife, no souls, none of it. I think consciousness might just be a function of complexity, the brain chunking data from a bunch of different sensors into abstract thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

:)...........

Its about what makes us happy.
    If a concept of God makes us happy.Great!
    If a concept of no God makes us happy.Great!...but if and when we do find that happiness,we have not found the truth or the way for everyone,we have found the way to happiness for our self so best not to force our religion or atheist view on anyone.Share it if you wish but don't expect all to agree or understand.We're all different.

The truth is in us and we won't get that eureka moment from someone else's answer.

If that person’s answer is right, you will.

Ipso wrote: »
    If that person’s answer is right, you will.

Yes,someone else's answer will help for a while but will fade as its usually intellectual.
    The truth is at the top of the scale of happiness.That beautiful taste.That amazing aroma.That wonderful view.That magical music.That sensual touch.The moment of orgasm....that's how to connect with the truth,its not in a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

There is nothing quite like thinking about the big questions of our existence: What is the meaning of life? Does God exists, and if He does, what does that mean for me? What is the good life? What is happiness?

Sometimes I think that life throws so many little things our way that we can go through it without pondering these questions. Distractions, the grind of daily life and our immediate necessities all make it difficult to just sit down, read a bit and have a good think.

Anyone thinking about these things? Do you keep looking until you have found what you can satisfy yourself to be the truth?

Who knows if God exists or not. It ain't gonna change ****ty things like coronavirus from happening.

My advice. Just get on with your life and try to live a good one!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The original christians believed in reincarnation. When Jesus was born he was supposed to have been reincarnated I think over 30 times by then.

When the romans took over the religion they whitewashed that out along with other aspects, anyone who tried to follow the old ways or preach them was executed.

Christianity was very different to what we have now.
    Well that was the Gnostics again, it was never a part of mainstream Christianity from the start.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Truth and God?
    Obscure standards?
    Don't tell me, you're an atheist right?

Fecking hell you lot love to let people know.

The opening post makes the posters religious intents quite obvious; are you going to have a pop at that?

The opening post makes the posters religious intents quite obvious; are you going to have a pop at that?

And I bet you got a big hard on for having the chance to tell people you're an atheist and like so many atheist's on here you couldn't resist.

But here's some free advice: no one gives a **** if you don't believe in God. Even if you did no one would give a **** too. All wasted energy my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Well I can't see any logical reason why any intelligent super being would have put us here.

Unless it was to breed breed and breed without a thought for the long term consequences, consume and pollute everything and destroy the planet for every other species.

Oh and of course cry and whinge when Covid-19 gives us a small taste of our own medicine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

archer22 wrote: »
    Well I can't see any logical reason why any intelligent super being would have put us here.
    Well I've often thought - mostly when inhaling non tobacco products - that if we extend the Gaia principle(that the Earth is a living entity) out to the universe, it's possible intelligent life is the reproductive system of the universe "creature". We're barely outa the egg and can split atoms and the like, imagine humanity or who we build to replace us in half a million years, or ten million. We'd be like inexpertly shaved apes compared to them. Maybe they would be able to create new universes in other empty dimensions and set it off all over again by seeding the ingredients just right.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

In regards to the he does or doesn't exist crap, can we all together and in unison belt this song out for all
    Always Look On The Bright Side Off Life.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And I bet you got a big hard on for having the chance to tell people you're an atheist and like so many atheist's on here you couldn't resist.

But here's some free advice: no one gives a **** if you don't believe in God. Even if you did no one would give a **** too. All wasted energy my friend.

You didn't answer the question, I see. Rather a lot of wasted energy in that reply, and your anger.

You should probably find something else to get pointlessly angry over. Or maybe nothing.

You could also apply your own advice about not caring to this entire thread; considering the entire purpose of the thread is someone pointing out they are religious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Portmanteau

People who moan about atheists are the new smug atheists.

Just because someone is an atheist doesn't always mean they're always talking about it or want everyone to know.

I don't know what I am but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than we know. Not a loving deity though. How can it have human traits.

If people have Christian beliefs though, fine by me - so long as they actually live up to the "Christian" part (which some certainly don't).

Atheist's and religious folk getting nasty over God or no God again.

Time to lighten the mood

513297.PNG

You didn't answer the question, I see. Rather a lot of wasted energy in that reply, and your anger.

You should probably find something else to get pointlessly angry over. Or maybe nothing.

You could also apply your own advice about not caring to this entire thread; considering the entire purpose of the thread is someone pointing out they are religious.

But ... There wasn't any anger haha :pac:
    Trying to use that tactic of reply are we? Poor attempt. 2/10.

Now go atheist boy. Someone, somewhere who believes in God needs to be told what's what. Lol.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I watched a conversation with Elon Musk. Now I know he's a little out there but I found what he said thought provoking. Anyway, the Jist of his hypothesis was that in the last 30 or so years video games have gone from Atari pong and simplistic space invaders to the realistic ones that are played today. Now if video gaming can make that leap in such a short time what will they be like in 50 years time 100 years time or 200 years time, they will be indistinguishable to real life. That said, he said that we are either living in a simulation or we have annihilated ourselves before the games had a chance to evolve and that it was more probable that this is a simulation. Out there I know but coupled with another unrelated scientist coming out with a paper stating that he has found computer code, ones and zeros in the very fabric of matter etc (don't really understand that to be honest) this is crazy. Not saying I believe it just saying it was thought provoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Now go atheist boy.

Sneering. Always the sneering. You'll go to hell (in your religion) for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I was an atheist until I took DMT now i'm not too sure of anything.

I was an atheist until I took DMT now i'm not too sure of anything.

Did you really try it? What was it like? I've read the spirit molecule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Portmanteau

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Sneering. Always the sneering. You'll go to hell (in your religion) for that.
    Atheists sneering bad. Others sneering not.

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »

What a load of rubbish!

Advertisement