Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Injury has stopped my weight loss plan. Please help!!!

• 04-05-2020 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I posted here some time ago and now looking for advice. I posted before because I was finding it difficult to lose weight and it was affecting me mentally as well as physically and I wanted to shape up for my wedding next year and feel good in my dress. I started doing HIIT excercises for 30 minutes every single day, walking and changed my whole diet. Since about 4 weeks ago, I've dropped a whopping 16 pounds. I feel amazing, look good and my whole outlook had changed.

However, last week I rolled on my ankle and I got an xray, looks like a small fracture. I have a boot and have to stay off my ankle for at least 4 weeks before I get it seen again. It should be back to normal by then, but I'm utterly devastated at the moment, I had such a concrete routine going.

So I'm asking for some advice again. I cant do jumping jacks, running on the spot, squats, mountain climbers ect. I have dumbells, and kettle bells and have planned to switch these any excercises on my hiit class everyday with dumbell curls, weighted sit ups, push ups, weighted dead lifts, ect.....

Will these be enough to continue my weight loss. Will I still drop pounds. I want do a workout where I'm sweating afterwards, I feel like I wont be able to achieve this now when I cant even squat or jump. Id appreciate any advice. I', feeling quite low again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ingalway

Eimee90 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I posted here some time ago and now looking for advice. I posted before because I was finding it difficult to lose weight and it was affecting me mentally as well as physically and I wanted to shape up for my wedding next year and feel good in my dress. I started doing HIIT excercises for 30 minutes every single day, walking and changed my whole diet. Since about 4 weeks ago, I've dropped a whopping 16 pounds. I feel amazing, look good and my whole outlook had changed.

However, last week I rolled on my ankle and I got an xray, looks like a small fracture. I have a boot and have to stay off my ankle for at least 4 weeks before I get it seen again. It should be back to normal by then, but I'm utterly devastated at the moment, I had such a concrete routine going.

So I'm asking for some advice again. I cant do jumping jacks, running on the spot, squats, mountain climbers ect. I have dumbells, and kettle bells and have planned to switch these any excercises on my hiit class everyday with dumbell curls, weighted sit ups, push ups, weighted dead lifts, ect.....

Will these be enough to continue my weight loss. Will I still drop pounds. I want do a workout where I'm sweating afterwards, I feel like I wont be able to achieve this now when I cant even squat or jump. Id appreciate any advice. I', feeling quite low again.

Have a look into intermittent fasting, it's a very good way to sustainably lose weight with many other health benefits.
    Gin Stephens wrote a book based on her own experience, Delay Don't Deny, and has a good podcast where she talks to people about their own experiences - Intermittent Fasting Stories.
    For a more in-depth science perspective Dr Jason Fung has a done a huge amount of work on it.
    You could certainly get started doing this whilst you recover.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

First off, don't freak out about it. It's likely the large majority of the weight loss was down to diet. So the lack of exercise, while it will likely slow the rate of weight loss, won't stop it.

Secondly, your exercise doesn't necessarily need to make you sweat for it to be effective.

There are plenty of exercises you can do in the meantime without needing to put any weight on your ankle.

Bird dogs, dead bugs, planks, side planks, hollow holds...quite a few core exercises there. Rows, floor presses, overhead presses, flys...chest and back type exercises.

There is plenty you can still do but ultimately, don't forget you haven't lost the ability to do what helped you lose the majority of those 16 pounds and that's manage your diet. The exercises is always good and it definitely helps mentally but it's not the main reason you lost the weight.

Head up, keep the positivity, keep up the good work on the diet, put together exercises you can do to work around the injury and you will continue making progress

ingalway wrote: »
    Have a look into intermittent fasting, it's a very good way to sustainably lose weight with many other health benefits.
    Gin Stephens wrote a book based on her own experience, Delay Don't Deny, and has a good podcast where she talks to people about their own experiences - Intermittent Fasting Stories.
    For a more in-depth science perspective Dr Jason Fung has a done a huge amount of work on it.
    You could certainly get started doing this whilst you recover.
    Good luck.

She's lost 16 pounds in 4 weeks. Why would she change her 'diet' when it's working for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

She's lost 16 pounds in 4 weeks. Why would she change her 'diet' when it's working for her?

Thanks, yeah I'm happy with my diet. I had a major overhaul but really healthy fresh produce, lean meats, loads of veg. I'm worried, I'll maintain rather than lose though and I'd find it hard to drop any more calories as I'd be eating too little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

That's quite a success you achieved! But it's mostly achieved through good diet, so stick to that, and treat exercise mainly as a mood booster for another while to help you manage any cravings etc.
    • Keep up with your good eating habits
    • Look up "floor workouts" on youtube, there's a lot of strength building routines done off your feet completely
    • Spend time outdoors even if only to sit out in the sun, helps with moods as well
    • Resume your walking as soon as it safe to do so

Best of luck, you'll still have a great summer.

• Advertisement

Thanks, yeah I'm happy with my diet. I had a major overhaul but really healthy fresh produce, lean meats, loads of veg. I'm worried, I'll maintain rather than lose though and I'd find it hard to drop any more calories as I'd be eating too little.

1) The exercise wasn't responsible for losing 4 lbs per week so taking it out of the equation (though still plenty you can do) you should still lose weight from your diet alone.

2) You don't need to drop any more calories.

3) Look at the big picture and not just the next 6-8 weeks. Your diet is in check and you're making progress. You're not in a position to do the exercise you normally do so what you need to do is look at what you can do and make the most of it. Take control of the situation and it will help your mindset. If you just freak out about what might happen because you can't do certain exercises, then you're letting the situation control you and that just breeds negativity.

The exercise isn't what caused the weight loss so don't freak out about what you can't do. Just do what you can do in terms of exercise and keep on the same road with your food and you'll probably be surprised. But take control of the situation and make the most if the hand you've been dealt and you'll feel more positive

Advertisement