Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-03-2020, 20:13   #1
Gael23

Coronavirus and the markets

I have a KBC SIVEK account. I’m wondering should I close it or sit tight? Markers are going into meltdown tomorrow
Advertisement
15-03-2020, 20:15   #2
Enter name here
Banned

If you can afford to ride the storm out do so. If not then close it. Buying blue chip shares at the moment cheaply is going to offer some serious rewards down the track.
15-03-2020, 20:36   #3
Gael23

It’s not a substantial amount of money so I might just stop further lodgements if that is possible.
15-03-2020, 21:26   #4
Jim2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gael23 View Post
It’s not a substantial amount of money so I might just stop further lodgements if that is possible.
What age are you and how is your health? These are the things that should determine your approach.

If you are older, heading for retirement and in need of the cash within the next five years, then an exit might be a consideration.

On the other had if not, then you continue doing exactly as you are doing, change nothing. The dollar cost averaging strategy works because you get to buy more for the same money. Fail to buy more in a down market and your strategy is dead.

If you have a 20 year horizon then the last thing you want is rising prices! You want to be able to buy as much as you can as cheap as you can. Your ideal situation is for prices to stay depressed for the next 15 years and only start rising then.
15-03-2020, 21:41   #5
Gael23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2007 View Post
What age are you and how is your health? These are the things that should determine your approach.

If you are older, heading for retirement and in need of the cash within the next five years, then an exit might be a consideration.

On the other had if not, then you continue doing exactly as you are doing, change nothing. The dollar cost averaging strategy works because you get to buy more for the same money. Fail to buy more in a down market and your strategy is dead.

If you have a 20 year horizon then the last thing you want is rising prices! You want to be able to buy as much as you can as cheap as you can. Your ideal situation is for prices to stay depressed for the next 15 years and only start rising then.
I’m 29 and the money is potentially a house deposit or a portion of it within the next 5 years. There’s €6000 there currently and I add €300 a month. I could reduce that and have it as longer term saving.
Advertisement
16-03-2020, 09:18   #6
Jim2007

Quote:
I’m 29 and the money is potentially a house deposit or a portion of it within the next 5 years. There’s €6000 there currently and I add €300 a month. I could reduce that and have it as longer term saving.
So you don’t have a 20 year horizon and the money is needed in the short term... well it’s a bit late now, this is not something you should have been doing from the start.

If you need cash in the short term, say five years then equities are never the best choice. I’d definitely stop all further contributions and the 6k already in the market - nobody can say what will happen in a short period.
16-03-2020, 09:26   #7
Gael23

It’s lost 5% so far this morning
16-03-2020, 14:05   #8
Shedite27

Quote:
It’s lost 5% so far this morning
You probably gained that between 7-8pm Friday. It was fake money

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic